Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Is There A Nigerian Customer Data Protection Act? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is There A Nigerian Customer Data Protection Act? (3700 Views)

Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers / Nigeria & Pakistan To Sign Trade Protection Treaty / Customer Data Update In Our Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Nigerian Customer Data Protection Act? by aartaxerxe(m): 6:58pm On Feb 13, 2006
Is There A Nigerian Version Of The Uk's Data Protection Act?

Hi all,

I'm developing a Customer Database for a Nigerian company and since the database involves personal details I want to know if theres an equivalent of the Data Protection act (eg http://www.jisclegal.ac.uk/publications/dprosemaryjay.htm) in Nigeria that legislates what can be done with this data?

How is the privacy of Nigerians protected when people build large databases like this? What's to stop the company I work for, or our client, selling the database to other companies for them to use for marketing purposes, apart from our own morals?

If there is a government body organising this, do they do it properly? Do they take action when privacy is breached?
Re: Is There A Nigerian Customer Data Protection Act? by Seun(m): 9:52am On Feb 14, 2006
There is no such thing. You can do whatever you like with the data. When Nigerian companies start misusing such data, then laws will be created to deal with the misuse. For now you can do what you like.

Spamming, on the other hand, may soon be illegal, which explains why threads like this exist.
Re: Is There A Nigerian Customer Data Protection Act? by ProfIkechi: 9:26am On Jul 03, 2010
Although there is no specific legislation that deals with Customer Data, there are other legislation, regulations, policy guidelines, and of course, the Nigerian Constitution which regulate the use of both PII (personally identifiable information) and customer data. I advise you to talk to a knowledgeable lawyer before you get into trouble. You cannot "do anything you want" with PII or customer data. You will be slammed with a serious law suit for breach of privacy.

(1) (Reply)

Where To Buy Airtime Cheaper / Where Can I Sell Diamond In Nigeria / Pls How Do I Get To Mushin From Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.