Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,020 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? (28660 Views)

Why Are Banks Not Reversing Failed Transactions? / Banks Not Doing Enough To Protect POS Users / The Meanings Of Visa, Verve, Mastercard, Naira, Dollar, Debit & Credit Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by naijaman2225(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2021
bigpicture001:
Because everyone here is a thief....

I even just got defrauded this morning of 20k..

SORRY ���
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:
Why is Nigeria not using the credit card system? Are Nigerians less human?

There is also mobile checking in other countries where you can use a mobile phone to cash a check by just taking the picture of the check.

To much risk here but some banks will for trustworthy and faithful customers. Most of these social media billionaires owe loans. Mine some stolen while visiting Nigeria once God allowed the circle pay off a lot I don’t even remember racking up. So for me no credit I’d rather save up and get it. Credit card companies aren’t like loansharks that record will be there for life I think we will see credit cards when they can let you pump your own gas trusting that you’ll pay we must do better for Nigerians na how you do there then take judge Nigeria

We are the African Giant but ask yourself can you pay it back if they give you ? Someone told me and I wish I knew this too then that your only supposed to use it then pay it back the next day

Minimum payment is always a setup

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Max24: 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2021
Nigeria is ruled by visionless people. They are more interested in cow than any other thing. Don't be surprised to see CBN pumping billions of dollars into ruga business once modalities for land is concluded. Kanu might be right after all ; Nigeria is a zoo.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by cedricksly: 1:41pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:

There is also mobile checking in other countries where you can use a mobile phone to cash a check by just taking the picture of the check.
please the debit card/prepaid is good abeg.... You do not want to live a credit life when more than 80% of the population is unemployed, how then do you want them to repay a credit used of which they might even max out the balance in less than a month... Any credit card company considering Nigeria as a market will just go bankrupt in less than a year.... And lastly credit system is not what you think it is, there is more to it that meets the eyes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Yankee101: 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2021
It's available but only for HNIs
It's not common dur to trust
The rich gets richer
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:22pm On Oct 29, 2021
Debit cards work in conjunction with your bank account. Unless you have overdraft protection, transactions are only authorized for the amount of money in your account. Credit cards are different however it seems like by this time, banks in Nigeria would be up to par. I do know a few people back in Nigeria who we have helped to open accounts in this country and they are able to use the cards back in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:

We dont have the infrastructure for retail credit. For credit to work, you need reliable unique means of identification, reliable means of tracing defaulters, consequences for default (quick judgement at courts) , database of defaulters etc etc

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Newboss(m): 3:05pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:

Not everybody is dubious anyways. Credit card system is so good and developed to eliminate the dubious users

The average Nigerian is very dubious.

No go dey loose guard o.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by rosalieene(f): 3:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
Pls most Nigerians are less humans.
See how debtors treat Loan companies, turning around to be the victims.
Now imagine how worse it will be when granted credit cards.

Actually, banks in Nigeria gives credit cards but not just to any one.
They give majorly to their staffs and top class people.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Eyigold: 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:

What's your bank? I have a dom account but never been offered such.
First bank also offers credit card facility, but mainly to FG staffs

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Shokoloko(f): 3:26pm On Oct 29, 2021
Yankee101:
It's available but only for HNIs
It's not common dur to trust
The rich gets richer

No, not only for HNIs,
Even a cleaner working for the [b][/b]state or federal government can easily get a credit card. A lot of policemen have credit cards
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Igoni1stson: 3:28pm On Oct 29, 2021
I think it's the lack of job and job security.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Yankee101: 3:32pm On Oct 29, 2021
Shokoloko:

No, not only for HNIs,
Even a cleaner working for the [b][/b]state or federal government can easily get a credit card. A lot of policemen have credit cards

It's based off of a regular income cycle in nigeria even back then. So not surprised govt workers have access now.

I've been away for a while sha. So if it's that widespread it's a good thing, if credit education is also taught them, that is.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by snoopz: 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2021
aremuforlife:

75% of us always look for loopholes to commit crimes.
A Nigerian collected iPhone 12 on credit and about #2m I'm dubai and japa back to Nigeria

Read more about credit cards...
Banks no go issue credit card wth that amount to some that is not working in the said country... Them go Sabi your source of income and if they can successfully withdraw their money within a stipulated period
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by UncleAyo: 3:46pm On Oct 29, 2021
Eyigold:

First bank also offers credit card facility, but mainly to FG staffs

I have learnt alot with this thread. This is also great. I don't know something like this exist.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by MOVIC6: 4:02pm On Oct 29, 2021
cardoso514:
Wr seem nut credit worthy any more.
Manage Debit Card for now
We are not credit worthy...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by thesicilian: 4:13pm On Oct 29, 2021
somehow:

Those online loan apps aren't worth to be used as an example.

Their interest is criminal.
They're still mostly better than most banks that make it nearly impossible to get loan. You can get a loan of up to 500k without collateral in a few minutes in some apps, whereas a regular commercial bank will tell you to go and bring your liver and one kidney as collateral.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Charx122: 4:18pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:

Credit what? You want 9ja make e fall inside well Yahoo boys dey help other countries use their credit card.....Thinks about it Mr. Man...Lol.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by VanuatuWycombe: 4:19pm On Oct 29, 2021
Many things are responsible, my brother. Part of it is non credible identity database.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by ttmax09(m): 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2021
thesicilian:
You want credit cards, when common online loan apps that people collect money from they'll come here to be looking for lawyers that will help them fight the company instead of just paying up
grin You are absolutely right on this, I'm sure I have seen such topics even on nl here, Nigerians looking for lawyers to help them fight these companies instead of looking for means to pay up the debts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by smasher1(m): 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2021
UncleAyo:

Not everybody is dubious anyways. Credit card system is so good and developed to eliminate the dubious users

Over 90% of Nigerians are dubious. They don't intend to pay back loans. If you ask me, I'll say about 99% of them are not credit worthy.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by smasher1(m): 7:00pm On Oct 29, 2021
thesicilian:
You want credit cards, when common online loan apps that people collect money from they'll come here to be looking for lawyers that will help them fight the company instead of just paying up

Don't mind this lazy Nigerian youths. You see many of them whose topic makes front page asking what would happen to them if they refuse to pay.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by pacespot(m): 9:30pm On Oct 29, 2021
Zooposki:
They do. My bank offered me a credit card but I did not take them up on the offer. Don’t know if you need a dom account because the offer was in dollars.

Which bank is that?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Kay25(m): 9:35pm On Oct 29, 2021
The socio economical situation of the country does not warrant a need for it...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by pedrilo: 11:12pm On Oct 29, 2021
somehow:

Sorry, stating their cons doesn't make me their customer.

Quit thinking one way.
You didnt answer my question.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Ojycelarma: 11:58pm On Oct 29, 2021
They are scared , because they know if you're broke in this country you're broke even the government no get transaction wey fit turn money with you upon say you be citizens, Shey na that kain people you go come use your money play with?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by somehow: 7:06am On Oct 30, 2021
pedrilo:

You didnt answer my question.

You asked no question that wasn't answered.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by Cognitivereason: 8:02am On Oct 30, 2021
yeah.. true
thanks for ur mature reply

9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

I get your point. But you should understand the kind of politics we play in Nigeria. There is no sincerity in most of their actions. Religion and tribalism are the major forces driving most leaders in this country. Until those in power learn to be straight forward that's when the masses will trust their policies. The person heading the drive for NIN registration, what was he's fast belief in religious extremism? So you expect people to happily give their personal information to someone who is a religious fanatic? You and I know how petty and dangerous our politicians are, so don't blame people when they take things slowly.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by yusluvad(m): 8:25am On Oct 30, 2021
Shey na like this we go dey dey...
9japride:
Credit card system is very good and it discourages fraud. But those wicked entities in the corridors of power who love to see people suffer won't allow it to work. They don't want the common man to measure shoulder with them. For example with a credit facility anyone can get latest phone, car etc. In addition, we need to develop our social security number system. But due to mischievous ways of those in power, they won't allow it to work. If done properly the security situation will be reduced more than 50%. Those in power know exactly what they are doing, they all travel out and see how things are done in other countries. To me, its just pure black man wickedness and nonsense attitude. It pains me a lot that with all the wealth in the country, people can't just enjoy it fully but just a few numbers of privilege one's that are enjoying the goodies meant for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by pedrilo: 9:27am On Oct 30, 2021
somehow:

You asked no question that wasn't answered.
Ni doubt, You are one of the numerous lapo debtor they have dealt with.
The pain is still fresh. I feel ur pains
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by 9japride(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2021
yusluvad:
Shey na like this we go dey dey...
[color=#006600][/color]

Not for long.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? by 9japride(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2021
Cognitivereason:
yeah.. true
thanks for ur mature reply

[color=#006600][/color]

You're welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Best Bank For Savings Of Business Income? / Bvn Registration Continues- Cbn, Nibss / Increase In Fuel Price Crashes Naira To N345/$1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.