Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam (23061 Views)

My Trip To Kainji Lake National Park And Kainji Dam / The Kainji Dam In Pictures / The Ikyogen Hills And Cattle Ranch In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Abovebest(m): 1:42pm On Jan 24, 2023
JJBROS:

Pure Akoko Edo
Okpameri
Amolê

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by 007Marvel(m): 1:48pm On Jan 24, 2023
You'd be surprised if I told you these villages has better roads than most cities in Nigeria! Actually visited every corner of Edo north working under a contractor. You'd be shocked at Okpekpe road! It's just wonderful
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by LALABOSS(m): 1:54pm On Jan 24, 2023
Prechgold1180:
Good pm fam I just pray you guys find this interesting

Me and some of my guys decided to take a trip to the famous ososo hills rock and mountain.

Located at akoko edo ,edo state

Ok. Let’s do a little history on ososo
Ososo is a clan in Akoko Edo Local Government Area of Edo State with a population of about 200,108 people. The area is between 1,200 to 1450 feet above the seal level. The highest peak lies at 2,484 feet is a border town between Kogi and Edo State.

The historical background is that the Ososo man migrated from Ogbe Quarter in Benin City during the reign of Oba Ozolua in about 1481 A.D. It is also said that the ancestors went through many hardships and suffered so much losses on their way to the Northern part of Nigeria getting to “IDA” a town in the present Kogi State settled down temporarily at a place called ''Unuame'' (water side) where the lake came to "Enidegbe''.

The Ososo man could not find peace due to tribal wars and drowning of his children he left "Unuame" (water side) after the war of the year 1515 Acheesy and found their way to "Orugbe" in ''Adikhorikho” where they found comfort because of the stream it was also a good land for farming and hunting. This is where he gave birth “Ozshioso" (Ososo) because he could not have his good view of his enemies, he moved to ''Egbegu'' where he sighted "Orhke" where we have the present "Tourist Centre'' in Anni quarter a place he can vividly view the entire valley and its horizons down to ''Okhekhe" a pond area grown with elephant grasses in "Odokpa" quarter. He went next down to ''Egbetua"" but returned back to “Okhekhe” because of the fresh water and other good essential needs for life and has "Osuno''as a spy hill after settlement, he later discover lkpena quarter.

Ososo is made up of four quarters Anni, Egbetua, Okho and Ikpene these quarters has been sub-divided into eighteen since the villages have grown very large and have virtually become one nuclear settlement called Ososo chiefdom.

According to another information Ososo people in Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State have a long history of migration. The town has four communities and they migrated from one source, ancient Benin kingdom, settling and resettling in almost the same land mass. These four communities according to Chief Otaru in an interview are Ani, Egbetua, Okhe and Ikpena. The Ikpena and Ani communities came through the place called “Uniamhe”, that is the River Niger bank of present day Ajaokuta/Okene axis. Others like Egbetua and Okhe communities of Ososo came through Okpella, and Makeke routes. In her contact with these towns, Ososo must have been influenced by their cultures and lifestyle as reflected in the similarity of dance and marriage performances.

To maintain constant contact between the four migrating communities, during this exodus, they devised various means of communication. They communicated with one another through the use of signs, symbols, insignia and other means: smoke, bush or grass tying, tree felling, stones and woods arrangements, ululation and these have now been incorporated into their dance culture. To preserve and articulate the migratory centripetal signs and symbols, and historical antecedent, dance was evolved been a powerful medium of expression.

To the Ososo people, life is a complete entity. It is good and peaceful. An understanding amongst the people is maintained through effective communication. This is their worldview and it is what informs the need for constant communication. The living, the dead and the unborn are constantly united by this belief system. As Oba Obaitan Adeloro (the king of Ososo) puts it, the dead, the living and the unborn are constantly united in dance, that is, the past, present and future are brought together in the “Ishimi-Ujo” (the people and masquerade (dance). The ancestor (the past) in masquerade form, blesses the living (the dancers), with tunborn (the future).This is also done mostly according to Chief Ajayi Ubuoro, in an interview, during the Unehe festival when the masquerades move from homestead to homestead blessing, admonishing, warning the wrong and warding off evil spirits from the society. This belief in the unity of the living and the dead is introduced into marriage dance whether for entertainment or punitive purposes.

A good one. I was there as a Corper 2007

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Godsgift7837: 2:13pm On Jan 24, 2023
007Marvel:
You'd be surprised if I told you these villages has better roads than most cities in Nigeria! Actually visited every corner of Edo north working under a contractor at You'd be shocked at Okpekpe road! It's just wonderful
I am from Okpekpe, Oshomoile did a wonderful job for the Okpekpe. That road used to be one of the worse road in Nigeria.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Godsgift7837: 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2023
Greatechng:
Where the ojirami dam and make you do small history for uneme area too

Town with rich men and absence development
Very true bro. Uneme people are the richest in Edo state if I’m not mistaking, but they lack development.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by saymax(f): 2:21pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nothing beats the coolness and fresh breeze of the early hours. Lovely drops of dew on each green and fresh leaf during the harmattan.

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Iretii0511(m): 2:58pm On Jan 24, 2023
lawrenzo007:

Ozo ... Ewe khe?

Michogbo mbobor evesho ochjor.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by DeLaRue: 3:32pm On Jan 24, 2023
Who else noticed the King is called Oba, and his name Obaitan Adeloro (a Crown comes with riches) is Yoruba. Yet there is no history of Yoruba conquest in this area. And it is highly unlikely that a Yoruba migrant family in nearby Kogi or Ondo state could have produced their kings across generations.

There is also a Chief Ajayi mentioned in the article.

The Ososo people appears to have a clear perspective of their history. They migrated from Benin.

If they migrated from Benin, how come many (probably majority) households in Ososo, Ibillo, Imoga etc have Yoruba names. That's not to suggest that this people are Yorubas today, but it is highly likely that they were of Yoruba origin through Benin. Many of the older ones speak or understand Yoruba, but all the younger ones don't. So, I'm absolutely not saying Osolo, Ibillo people of today are Yorubas. But there is a historical connection for their names that's worth investigating.

Scholars need to research things like this so that we can all better understand our history as a people.

But parochialism, inferiority and superiority complexes of all kinds between Yorubas and Benin people will not allow the truth to be ascertained.

This attitude diminishes our history and does nothing for our civilisation.

If you try to start an intellectual debate around the Yoruba and Benin connection here on Nairaland, the whole thing will quickly descend into fighting, abuse, threats and all sorts.

Which way Nigerians?

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Sablexxxtoons: 3:39pm On Jan 24, 2023
I was there as part of the crew of one of the GUS shows 8 I think.

Very beautiful rocky formations with good beautiful lands

Gus guys and their police nack their girls sotey e nearly cause problem

That distant horizon with hils like pillars stretching into the distance
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by NobleSeed(m): 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nice one op..
Akoko Edo is really a blessed place.
So proud I hails from there.
My own Trip loading Soon cool
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by NobleSeed(m): 3:52pm On Jan 24, 2023
when you say uneme, you need to State which of the uneme, cause uneme is very Big and dey are scattered about.
The one's you said they are the richest are the uneme OSU, they actually share boundary with my village.
Isn't that they really lack development as you said, just that dey don't have land.
Almost all their houses are built on Rocks.
Assuming dey have land just forget it..
Godsgift7837:
Very true bro. Uneme people are the richest in Edo state if I’m not mistaking, but they lack development.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by BushDoctor123: 3:58pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ososo is a very nice place to visit, the people are very accommodating. I have visited the tourist center a couple of times with my entire family most on new year days. Nice bush and snail meat in abundance with a standard three star hotel (Filani hotel). I visit ososo most times am home to catch my groove. I am from Ogori in Ogori magongo LGA, Kogi state.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Oruku: 4:02pm On Jan 24, 2023
moabdul:
Ososo and Ogori magongo in logo state also share same culture like ovia

Nice one but how can you say Ososo is a clan? And your king doesn't know Ososo history. Unehe and Masquerade is never an Ososo culture but borrowed from Okene. How can you talk about Ososo without mentioning Itakpo festival and Oviko.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Oruku: 4:04pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nice one but how can you say Ososo is a clan? And your king doesn't know Ososo history. Unehe and Masquerade is never an Ososo culture but borrowed from Okene. How can you talk about Ososo without mentioning Itakpo festival and Oviko. quote author=Prechgold1180 post=107171148]Good pm fam I just pray you guys find this interesting

Me and some of my guys decided to take a trip to the famous ososo hills rock and mountain.

Located at akoko edo ,edo state

Ok. Let’s do a little history on ososo
Ososo is a clan in Akoko Edo Local Government Area of Edo State with a population of about 200,108 people. The area is between 1,200 to 1450 feet above the seal level. The highest peak lies at 2,484 feet is a border town between Kogi and Edo State.

The historical background is that the Ososo man migrated from Ogbe Quarter in Benin City during the reign of Oba Ozolua in about 1481 A.D. It is also said that the ancestors went through many hardships and suffered so much losses on their way to the Northern part of Nigeria getting to “IDA” a town in the present Kogi State settled down temporarily at a place called ''Unuame'' (water side) where the lake came to "Enidegbe''.

The Ososo man could not find peace due to tribal wars and drowning of his children he left "Unuame" (water side) after the war of the year 1515 Acheesy and found their way to "Orugbe" in ''Adikhorikho” where they found comfort because of the stream it was also a good land for farming and hunting. This is where he gave birth “Ozshioso" (Ososo) because he could not have his good view of his enemies, he moved to ''Egbegu'' where he sighted "Orhke" where we have the present "Tourist Centre'' in Anni quarter a place he can vividly view the entire valley and its horizons down to ''Okhekhe" a pond area grown with elephant grasses in "Odokpa" quarter. He went next down to ''Egbetua"" but returned back to “Okhekhe” because of the fresh water and other good essential needs for life and has "Osuno''as a spy hill after settlement, he later discover lkpena quarter.

Ososo is made up of four quarters Anni, Egbetua, Okho and Ikpene these quarters has been sub-divided into eighteen since the villages have grown very large and have virtually become one nuclear settlement called Ososo chiefdom.

According to another information Ososo people in Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State have a long history of migration. The town has four communities and they migrated from one source, ancient Benin kingdom, settling and resettling in almost the same land mass. These four communities according to Chief Otaru in an interview are Ani, Egbetua, Okhe and Ikpena. The Ikpena and Ani communities came through the place called “Uniamhe”, that is the River Niger bank of present day Ajaokuta/Okene axis. Others like Egbetua and Okhe communities of Ososo came through Okpella, and Makeke routes. In her contact with these towns, Ososo must have been influenced by their cultures and lifestyle as reflected in the similarity of dance and marriage performances.

To maintain constant contact between the four migrating communities, during this exodus, they devised various means of communication. They communicated with one another through the use of signs, symbols, insignia and other means: smoke, bush or grass tying, tree felling, stones and woods arrangements, ululation and these have now been incorporated into their dance culture. To preserve and articulate the migratory centripetal signs and symbols, and historical antecedent, dance was evolved been a powerful medium of expression.

To the Ososo people, life is a complete entity. It is good and peaceful. An understanding amongst the people is maintained through effective communication. This is their worldview and it is what informs the need for constant communication. The living, the dead and the unborn are constantly united by this belief system. As Oba Obaitan Adeloro (the king of Ososo) puts it, the dead, the living and the unborn are constantly united in dance, that is, the past, present and future are brought together in the “Ishimi-Ujo” (the people and masquerade (dance). The ancestor (the past) in masquerade form, blesses the living (the dancers), with tunborn (the future).This is also done mostly according to Chief Ajayi Ubuoro, in an interview, during the Unehe festival when the masquerades move from homestead to homestead blessing, admonishing, warning the wrong and warding off evil spirits from the society. This belief in the unity of the living and the dead is introduced into marriage dance whether for entertainment or punitive purposes.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Oruku: 4:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nice one but how can you say Ososo is a clan? And your king doesn't know Ososo history. Unehe and Masquerade is never an Ososo culture but borrowed from Okene. How can you talk about Ososo without mentioning Itakpo festival and Oviko.

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Sweetvie: 4:34pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nice
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by jessylaurel(f): 5:04pm On Jan 24, 2023
Prechgold1180:
Let me do a little prayer for our dear country
And also let me pray and ask God to deliver Lalasticalala from the spirit of eating snakes

These ones went to do ritual for Yahoo yahoo angry grin grin
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Bosdem(f): 7:37pm On Jan 24, 2023
You tried but didn't do justice with the mountains pictures, lots and lots of it. My mum is Ososo and a beautiful site to behold. Thanks thou
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Samamerc(f): 8:23pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ososo my home
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Paulswaggz(m): 10:31pm On Jan 24, 2023
my hometown ❤
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by mofresh(m): 11:16pm On Jan 24, 2023
[size=8pt][that is my home town too....]
saymax:
Wow Op you have made me more proud of my beautiful hometown. Thank you. Proudly Omini Ososo
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by mofresh(m): 11:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
[size=8pt][yes to that ....uneme osu people are richest in akoko Edo...
NobleSeed:
when you say uneme, you need to State which of the uneme, cause uneme is very Big and dey are scattered about.
The one's you said they are the richest are the uneme OSU, they actually share boundary with my village.
Isn't that they really lack development as you said, just that dey don't have land.
Almost all their houses are built on Rocks.
Assuming dey have land just forget it..
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by EmekaA125(m): 3:58am On Jan 25, 2023
Q
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Egbi2020: 6:54pm On Jan 25, 2023
My brother's wife town. Everywhere rock. Bathroom calved out of rock, kitchen same thing. Is truly an interesting place to visit.
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Majorly21: 10:25pm On Jan 25, 2023
Mom from ososo.. hopefully I'll visit her hometown soon.

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Majorly21: 10:28pm On Jan 25, 2023
Lonestar124:
I'll be visiting this place if I come down to Nigeria Where is it located, which days is it available to visit..

It's best you visit during Christmas period because of the Ososo Carnival.. the Ososo Carnival is like Calabar Carnival and ososo girls are too beautiful.. the town is in Edo state.

Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Bernardinho(m): 2:02pm On Jan 26, 2023
ashiodimeh2020:
Proudly your neighbour,Ozah or Ojah.

My beautiful pple dem, can u plz send me mail
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by Bernardinho(m): 2:05pm On Jan 26, 2023
Godsgift7837:

Most of them don't even stay in the country so they rarely visit
Re: My Trip To Ososo Hills And Ojirami Dam by JJBROS(m): 9:27am On Feb 19, 2023
Abovebest:

Amolê

Mogbo omo belome

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"My Visit To Volos Statue Of Liberty In Greece" (photos) / 2 Injured As Bus Somersaults On Eko Bridge / Driver Arrested For Killing Pedestrian In Kosofe, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.