Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke (21160 Views)

Did Chris Ngige Assault ASUU President, Osodeke, In A Meeting? / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Asks Nigerians To Vote Out APC (Video) / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Rejects N50m Raised By Berekete Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by einsteine(m): 9:55am On Oct 30, 2021
It is stupid from ASUU to reject that just to deceive people they are fighting for the masses. Quality education can only come from proper funding and that will not come while people pay 20k yearly as school fees.

By the way, ASUU fights for themselves. Every year, it's another increase in salary being demanded.
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by einsteine(m): 9:57am On Oct 30, 2021
janvier27:
@othermen
You said it all. I'm also aware that some lecturers even sacrifice from their poor pay to run their departments and programs and get things going so students can graduate.

Big lie.

Sacrifice what?

Lies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by joyandfaith: 10:01am On Oct 30, 2021
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by german01(m): 10:02am On Oct 30, 2021
janvier27:

It's a ploy & ASUU saw through it. The education bank isn't sustainable. After a year, disbursements will stop & students will be forced to look for the fees elsewhere or drop out.
says who? The money the government are dishing out to ASUU when they call for strike its greater than what’ll be dish out ( believe me)
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Theunbothered: 10:03am On Oct 30, 2021
Nnamebuka:
It's actually a good initiative cos it'll give opportunity to academic savvy students from poor homes that could not go to higher institutions or could not continue due to financial constraints.

That's how it's done abroad.

Only problem is that with Nigeria and her institutional and administrative modus operandi it won't be sustainable.
Again how soon can one get job after graduation here. We already have majority of out-of-school youth population without job.

I feel for Nigerian youth. Unfortunately they don't care as long as the ineffective gov't official is from their tribe.

Many may never experience life until they die. They'll just exist and be gone. Sincerely, I feel for una sad

Many people abroad are in lifetime debt because they can't pay the outrageous loans.

Even worse is the loans led to an increase in tuition fees across the board.

Please o it's not everything we see that we should copy.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by joyandfaith: 10:10am On Oct 30, 2021
othermen:
Folks don’t understand that ASUU is perhaps the last champion of the masses.

A manager in many of the parastatals earn more than a professor in Nigeria public universities.

A polytechnic lecturer earns more than their counterparts in Nigeria public universities.
The polytechnic lecturer who is not a PhD holder earns more than some university lecturers with even post PhD qualifications.

College of Education lecturers earn more than lecturers in Nigeria public universities.

A graduate assistant in many universities abroad earn more than Nigeria public universities senior lecturers.

Of coz, in some schools, some of the Nigeria public universities lecturers have resorted to their own exploitation of students by selling course materials or making students buy books directly from them. In Some universities lecturers even abandoned teaching and invested more time in seeking grants for research or trying to become a consultant at the expense of their primary responsibility.

It was ASUU’s mandate to rebuke this, and in several universities especially the ones in the Southwest, they were able to get the university administration to issue a memo that lecturers not sell handouts or books to students. (This is very well enforced in Uni Ibadan)

You can check the lecturers salaries online.

The lecturers in Nigeria public universities have for years yearned for their earned allowances, and many have died without receiving it. If you know a Nigeria public university lecturer, then you would know there is no luxury there. They are unappreciated lots. Those that have remained solely fixed on their call, retire into a basic average livelihood, where the value of their pensions cannot longer afford the necessities they need.

ASUU just wants universities to be funded, so that they can have functional laboratories and equipment to convey practical knowledge.

This, has always been on the forefront of ASUU’s struggle, never members welfare.

Ask those that have apartments, they prefer to rent it out to a banker than to a lecturer in Nigeria public universities. Yet the lecturer is expected to do research in their offices where they don’t even have a functional bathroom with water supply or an office properly fitted. You have seen this, you have been to a lecturers office, was the air conditioning functional? Was there power? Didn’t you wonder how they survived in such heat, surrounded by books… yet they stay awake and give their lives, with many retiring into diseases and illnesses because of the hazards that comes with the profession.

The minds that should be retained in the academics observing the situation, prefer anywhere else than the position. Yet, some others are just only passionate about conveying knowledge and supplying the society with adequate minds and capable hands but they become the victim of your vitriol when they ask that their laboratory be equipped so students can be engaged in quality researches.

The child of the politicians that you grovel at their feet, get an education outside the country at the cost of what will more than equip the laboratory or enhance the learning facilities such as classroom. Your lecturers who cannot afford to send the child to such, have such children in the universities here, paying too with their time for the negligence and irresponsibility of the government.

Yet ASUU must capitulate to the ignorant ones, partial agreements or promises which are often never fulfilled is sufficient to suspend the struggle for the soul of Nigeria public education from those bent on ruining it.

ASUU caused problems for themselves in negotiating salaries and career progression. Phd holder will be employed as lecturer 2- conuas 3. Grade level 13 or 12. Rubbish. They are denying themselves promotion because of politics. Promotion is after three years even with adequate papers in less than 2 years.
I don't see reason why phd holder should not be employed as lecturer 1.
Provision should be made for accelerated promotion with adequate papers.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Moradeyo95: 10:12am On Oct 30, 2021
omo......this one na wickedness oo....damn!
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Theunbothered: 10:14am On Oct 30, 2021
Kingpin1000:

If the universities are run properly 1 million naira school fees is not too big. Do you lots think education is cheap. Do you know how much it costs to buy equipments for laboratories and workshops. Even in the US most people cannot afford to go to the University, some are in the university through scholarships.
ASUU should just stop all these half truth.

For your information, I am not speaking for the government and I am not an Idealist am a realist.

No one million naira is too much.

Not that it's one million naira yearly so they will have to pay back five million naira plus interest.

How do you expect any graduate working in Nigeria to repay that money within any reasonable time frame?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by bluefilm: 10:20am On Oct 30, 2021
But is this not how it is done in the Developed world?
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by xperiencelove(m): 10:20am On Oct 30, 2021
Kingpin1000:

ASUU champion of what?

You want to compare a professor that has not brought in any invention to a manager of some parastatals, on what moral ground ?

You compare salaries of polytechnic and COE lecturers and forget to ask how money is shared among these groups.

You compare a lecturer abroad and one in Nigeria. But forget to ask your self the exchange rate, what both lecturers give to student.. funny enough most lecturers Nigerian will not board a plane manufactured by their own students.

You say ASUU wants Universities to be funded, but what have they done with the funds they get. I tell you, they are fighting for their pockets.

I hate it when people say children of politicians should go to public universities when even the lecturers send their children to private and even foreign universities.

If the universities are run properly 1 million naira school fees is not too big. Do you lots think education is cheap. Do you know how much it costs to buy equipments for laboratories and workshops. Even in the US most people cannot afford to go to the University, some are in the university through scholarships.
ASUU should just stop all these half truth.

For your information, I am not speaking for the government and I am not an Idealist am a realist.
The guy you quoted have said the truth. Despite your good comment, you missed the economic value of the country we are.
Education is never cheap as you said but considering FG borrowing students 1m per session and students using almost 800k as school fees and at the end of a four year course the students are already owing FG 4.8m including interest. Even if the students get 40k - 100k paying job immediately after graduation, how many year will they pay back? In addition, there is yearly 5% interest increment of the balance yet to pay. My bro, that must not happen. Our economic values has not risen to that level. The worst is anybody that still owes 5naira would be denied VISA to travel out of the country.
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by nams77: 10:20am On Oct 30, 2021
Loverboy3333:
1m naira loan, I will just apply then use the money to japa
You didn't read it well. You will only get 30% of that 1M yearly.
The rest goes to FG as your school fees
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by dapolaw(m): 10:45am On Oct 30, 2021
Did you understand the write-up at all? 70% will be paid to the university directly while the students will have access to 30%... So which country you wan Japa with 300k?

Loverboy3333:
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by olatuns2017: 11:00am On Oct 30, 2021
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Fourwinds: 11:01am On Oct 30, 2021
I keep saying that President Buhari is a terrorist... How many people earn #50000 per month ...and you want students to pay #1000000 per session...

Evil government

Thank God.
ESN food don land.

What do you have to say about this:

buckeyemedia
nlpolicewoman
krismas
alimohammedibn
falseprophet
pricemajestic
pantami
modsfucker
ibkhaleel
Biodun556
Lastcall
Aboks
Gawu1
theFilmtric
Asidy
MalcoImX
Ibrahimmrfish
AdolfAboki
Queseda,
tsagir
Niceman12
QuotaSystem
abduljabbar4
Northurmate
Fariq
DanArrewa
Susu888
SWORD419
spendoon
Bakinwuta
Bazamfare
Almaigaa
Arewawife
NorthRules9ja
Simplyleo
Ngeneukwenu
Vedaxcool

Budaatum
Monogamy
donbenie
Candidlady
supportnija
Safyqueen
Danjikanbauchi
SlyDev
oloyedewaris
Haakeem
Caseless
Lovenorth
Patrioticman007
Cilicmarin
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Opeyemic01: 11:05am On Oct 30, 2021
iLoveYouToo:

Let’s hear from FG first, I can’t use one side of the story to make inferences

Which FG?? This current one? How many of such have they admitted to? Endsars killing they said no one died Subsidy?? Terrorist cum Minister of communication Pantami issue? Aso Rock clinic of 14 bed space for 21billion? Invasion of justice odili residence?? Etc

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Fourwinds: 11:09am On Oct 30, 2021
einsteine:
It is stupid from ASUU to reject that just to deceive people they are fighting for the masses. Quality education can only come from proper funding and that will not come while people pay 20k yearly as school fees.

By the way, ASUU fights for themselves. Every year, it's another increase in salary being demanded.

Can you tell me how many paying jobs in Nigeria that can pay up about #5 million to #6 million loan?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by xeju: 11:17am On Oct 30, 2021
Loverboy3333:
Did you read anywhere in the post that the money will be given to students in cash?
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 30, 2021
1M seems reasonable, not everyone deserves to go to school, in Nigeria we have one of the highest number of graduates per capita, but if you ask most of them to spell their names; they can’t.

Just an overwhelming number of cheaters with nothing in their heads. In fact JAMB should raise the bar to 220, anybody who didn’t attain this grade before should be liable of delegitimizing their results until they retake the exam.

Nigerians constantly scream about unemployment while carrying a GPA below 3.0/5, who wants to employ a dotard?
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by TheOgaBoss: 12:45pm On Oct 30, 2021
Loverboy3333:
they won't give you the money, it will be paid directly to the school, only a tiny percentage gets to you
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by TheOgaBoss: 12:48pm On Oct 30, 2021
Nnamebuka:
It's actually a good initiative cos it'll give opportunity to academic savvy students from poor homes that could not go to higher institutions or could not continue due to financial constraints.

That's how it's done abroad.

Only problem is that with Nigeria and her institutional and administrative modus operandi it won't be sustainable.
Again how soon can one get job after graduation here. We already have majority of out-of-school youth population without job.

I feel for Nigerian youth. Unfortunately they don't care as long as the ineffective gov't official is from their tribe.

Many may never experience life until they die. They'll just exist and be gone. Sincerely, I feel for una sad
did you read the part about paying back with 5% interest every year? In Nigeria where some graduates have gone on for years with no job or underemployment, how will people pay?
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by henryobinna(m): 1:04pm On Oct 30, 2021
bluefilm:
But is this not how it is done in the Developed world?
the fact that 'developed' world is doing it doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. In the US they're now compaigning for the government to forgive/cancel all student debt, do you know why? It has done more harm than good.

In a country where there are not enough jobs and even the available few only pay peanuts, how long will it take you to pay back a 5m loan that accrues 5% interest every year?

If there was no financial recklessness and corruption, we won't be having this conversation now. Even right now, if and when thus education bank is introduced, the same corruption that crippled what we had before would definitely show up. Corruption had remained undefeated and if it isn't defeated it'll keep affecting every aspect of our lives.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by bluefilm: 1:06pm On Oct 30, 2021
henryobinna:
the fact that 'developed' world is doing it doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. In the US they're now compaigning for the government to forgive/cancel all student debt, do you know why? It has done more harm than good.

In a country where there are not enough jobs and even the available few only pay peanuts, how long will it take you to pay back a 5m loan pthat accrues 5% interest every year?

If there was no financial recklessness and corruption, we won't be having this conversation now. Even right now, if and when thus education bank is introduced, the same corruption that crippled what we had before would definitely show up. Corruption had remained undefeated and if it isn't defeated it'll keep affecting every aspect of our lives.

I see.
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Izongdave(m): 1:47pm On Oct 30, 2021
If you ask me, this is better if only to strengthen our educational system
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Testimony1988(m): 2:07pm On Oct 30, 2021
Thank God they didn't accept the offer.
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by xtiansarc: 2:14pm On Oct 30, 2021
this is what happens when you put a goat herder in charge of humans
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by MrMacinterchi1: 2:15pm On Oct 30, 2021
who ever brought this idea is very wicked. after the loan, how will they pay it back ? which job to pay back? Very wicked thinking. And if really they wanted to help, why would they fix a profit to it? and still runs even after graduating and couldn't finish paying.. 1m their head there
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by lokoloko84(m): 3:03pm On Oct 30, 2021
henryobinna:

In a country where there are not enough jobs and even the available few only pay peanuts, how long will it take you to pay back a 5m loan that accrues 5% interest every year?
Do not mind them,when It suites them,they will mention U.S.A as If that country should be used as a model.
Why not use countries in Europe who are able to provide free Education for their citizens to the extent that even EU citizens in a country study for free in another country.
Yes,they pay taxes but are we not paying taxes here as well with the revenue from other sources?
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:42pm On Oct 30, 2021
othermen:

A manager in many of the parastatals earn more than a professor in Nigeria public universities.
Yet ASUU must capitulate to the ignorant ones, partial agreements or promises which are often never fulfilled is sufficient to suspend the struggle for the soul of Nigeria public education from those bent on ruining it.

In all these, you didn't seem to give lecturers any blame at all... Let the blame game go round, let all of them have their shares.

When I was in UNN, some lecturers had very nice offices and will still refuse to come to class. Thank God they weren't allowed to sell handouts in that school.

I've seen lecturers using the same note they used years ago to teach students... Infact, the note was so tattered and looking old. And some of these lecturers love looking old and tattered cos of their approach to life, UDENGWU in UNN comes to mind
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Macheteros1: 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2021
Re: ASUU Rejected N1m Undergraduate School Fees - Osodeke by Temi2468: 1:24am On Nov 01, 2021
othermen:

A polytechnic lecturer earns more than their counterparts in Nigeria public universities.
The polytechnic lecturer who is not a PhD holder earns more than some university lecturers with even post PhD qualifications.

College of Education lecturers earn more than lecturers in Nigeria public universities.

A graduate assistant in many universities abroad earn more than Nigeria public universities senior lecturers.

Of coz, in some schools, some of the Nigeria public universities lecturers have resorted to their own exploitation of students by selling course materials or making students buy books directly from them. In Some universities lecturers even abandoned teaching and invested more time in seeking grants for research or trying to become a consultant at the expense of their primary responsibility.

It was ASUU’s mandate to rebuke this, and in several universities especially the ones in the Southwest, they were able to get the university administration to issue a memo that lecturers not sell handouts or books to students. (This is very well enforced in Uni Ibadan)

You can check the lecturers salaries online.

The lecturers in Nigeria public universities have for years yearned for their earned allowances, and many have died without receiving it. If you know a Nigeria public university lecturer, then you would know there is no luxury there. They are unappreciated lots. Those that have remained solely fixed on their call, retire into a basic average livelihood, where the value of their pensions cannot longer afford the necessities they need.

ASUU just wants universities to be funded, so that they can have functional laboratories and equipment to convey practical knowledge.

This, has always been on the forefront of ASUU’s struggle, never members welfare.

Ask those that have apartments, they prefer to rent it out to a banker than to a lecturer in Nigeria public universities. Yet the lecturer is expected to do research in their offices where they don’t even have a functional bathroom with water supply or an office properly fitted. You have seen this, you have been to a lecturers office, was the air conditioning functional? Was there power? Didn’t you wonder how they survived in such heat, surrounded by books… yet they stay awake and give their lives, with many retiring into diseases and illnesses because of the hazards that comes with the profession.

The minds that should be retained in the academics observing the situation, prefer anywhere else than the position. Yet, some others are just only passionate about conveying knowledge and supplying the society with adequate minds and capable hands but they become the victim of your vitriol when they ask that their laboratory be equipped so students can be engaged in quality researches.

The child of the politicians that you grovel at their feet, get an education outside the country at the cost of what will more than equip the laboratory or enhance the learning facilities such as classroom. Your lecturers who cannot afford to send the child to such, have such children in the universities here, paying too with their time for the negligence and irresponsibility of the government.

Well highlighted! When I see Nigerians shouting ASUU, I wonder how people don't understand that ASUU is the last resort of government resistance in a failed country.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is This How Polio Vaccine Is Forced On school Children Without Parents Consent? / Lost But Found Credentials / Sacked OAU Lecturer, Richard Akindele Remanded In Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.