Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! (1158 Views)

Isese: Kwara Police Arrest Salah Ayodeji Who Was Declared A Wanted Terrorist / Wike Told Atiku If APC Had Picked Osinbajo He Would Have Declared For APC. / We Have Declared Yoruba Sovereignty— Professor Banji Akintoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by TooNoisy(f): 7:04pm On Oct 30, 2021
I have read numerous times here that Awolowo betrayed Ojukwu by not declaring Oduduwa Republic. The question I have asked and which any educated mind should ask is - could he really have declared an Oduduwa Republic?

Let us remind ourselves of the events shortly after independence. Awolowo was the leader of the opposition in Nigeria from 1960. The ruling government was an alliance between the NPC - led by Ahmadu Bello and the NCNC - led by Nnamdi Azikiwe. Awolowo was in opposition and swore never to work together with Ahmadu Bello. On the other hand, Nnamdi Azikwe was the darling/wife of the Northern led government.

Ahmadu Bello swore to work against Awolowo which led to Awolowo's Action Group losing the 1963 elections to Akintola's NNDP in the Western Region. Awolowo was later accused of treason and was imprisoned by Tafawa Balewa's government. Gowon released Awolowo in August 1966 during a period of high tensions especially between the Northern region and the Eastern region. Gowon's intention was for Awolowo to help mediate between him and Ojukwu as they both respected Awolowo greatly. Awolowo was way older than both Gowon and Ojukwu; infact he was friends with Ojukwu's father.

At the time Gowon was president, Ojukwu was governor of the Eastern region, Hassan Katsina was governor of Northern region and Adeyinka Adebayo was governor of Western region. So I ask - how could Awolowo, a civilian, who had no authority over any soldiers have declared war or any other republic. Infact he was not as popular in the West because of the disagreement with Akintola at the time and had just been released from prison. When people ask me - why didn't Awolowo declare Oduduwa republic? I answer, why didn't Azikiwe declare Biafra?

The answer is very simple. Awolowo could never have declared an Oduduwa republic because he was a civilian just like anybody else. Just like Azikiwe. At that time, the military was in charge and only they could make any declarations because they controlled the soldiers. So, I do want to ever read again that Awolowo should have declared any Yoruba republic, because he just couldn't. Hope I don't read that stupid betrayal statement again.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by bigpriik: 7:08pm On Oct 30, 2021
Nobody is Yorubaland has the guts to declare oduduwa republic,not tinubu not Obasanjo even alafin and oooni,fear is real.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 30, 2021
I read history over and over again and even seek knowledge from retired lawyers and people who held interest in politics at the time and knew it all but everytime they tell me this same thing op posted, hmmm, betrayal or no betrayal Failure will always have an excuse to give...

2 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by dig64: 8:42pm On Oct 30, 2021
APCNig:

The same fear that used over three million stubborn goats from the East for pepper soup and suya
And?
Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Penguin2: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2021
TooNoisy:
I have read numerous times here that Awolowo betrayed Ojukwu by not declaring Oduduwa Republic. The question I have asked and which any educated mind should ask is - could he really have declared an Oduduwa Republic?

Let us remind ourselves of the events shortly after independence. Awolowo was the leader of the opposition in Nigeria from 1960. The ruling government was an alliance between the NPC - led by Ahmadu Bello and the NCNC - led by Nnamdi Azikiwe. Awolowo was in opposition and swore never to work together with Ahmadu Bello. On the other hand, Nnamdi Azikwe was the darling/wife of the Northern led government.

Ahmadu Bello swore to work against Awolowo which led to Awolowo's Action Group losing the 1963 elections to Akintola's NNDP in the Western Region. Awolowo was later accused of treason and was imprisoned by Tafawa Balewa's government. Gowon released Awolowo in August 1966 during a period of high tensions especially between the Northern region and the Eastern region. Gowon's intention was for Awolowo to help mediate between him and Ojukwu as they both respected Awolowo greatly. Awolowo was way older than both Gowon and Ojukwu; infact he was friends with Ojukwu's father.

At the time Gowon was president, Ojukwu was governor of the Eastern region, Hassan Katsina was governor of Northern region and Adeyinka Adebayo was governor of Western region. So I ask - how could Awolowo, a civilian, who had no authority over any soldiers have declared war or any other republic. Infact he was not as popular in the West because of the disagreement with Akintola at the time and had just been released from prison. When people ask me - why didn't Awolowo declare Oduduwa republic? I answer, why didn't Azikiwe declare Biafra?

The answer is very simple. Awolowo could never have declared an Oduduwa republic because he was a civilian just like anybody else. Just like Azikiwe. At that time, the military was in charge and only they could make any declarations because they controlled the soldiers. So, I do want to ever read again that Awolowo should have declared any Yoruba republic, because he just couldn't. Hope I don't read that stupid betrayal statement again.

Does that also justify his advise to Gowon to use food blockade as weapon of war against Biafra? An act that led to the death of over 3 million Igbo children.

Does it also justify the fact that as finance minister, he spearheaded the giving of every Igbo man a paltry 20 pounds irrespective of how much you had in your account?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by flokii: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2021
These are relevant discussions we should be having..

When Igbos claim they have not governed Nigeria bla bla bla.. ask them about Azikiwe that was ceremonial president while the North held post of Prime minister leaving Yorubas with nothing.. Awolowo and the Yorubas have been in opposition ever since.
Now that Yorubas have broken that jinx and entered mainstream politics, Igbos want to die of jealousy and hate, screaming they want biafra. Imagine someone like Anyim Pius Anyim saying he'll contest for president yet these urchins on NL want us to believe their cry for biafra is genuine. Slimy people.

10 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by TooNoisy(f): 9:46pm On Oct 30, 2021
Penguin2:

Does that also justify his advise to Gowon to use food blockade as weapon of war against Biafra? An act that led to the death of over 3 million Igbo children.

Does it also justify the fact that as finance minister, he spearheaded the giving of every Igbo man a paltry 20 pounds irrespective of how much you had in your account?

There was a war between Nigeria and Biafra. People were killed on both sides. Civilians and military men alike. The Biafran Army attacked Nigeria through the Mid-West. They killed and raped women in the present day Edo and Delta State and even declared Mid-West a republic. The Biafran soldiers were only stopped at Ore as they continued their advance killing people along the way. Biafra lost the war - simple as that.

I have never heard you IPOB e-rats complain that Igbo soldiers truncated Nigeria's first republic. Young Igbo soldiers killed politicians and senior military officers from other regions but left Igbo politicians and officers untouched. How is that not ethnic cleansing. But when the Northerners retaliated the Igbo started crying. Aguiyi Ironsi, an Igbo man, unilaterally changed Nigeria from a Federation to a Unitary System of Government, giving absolute power to the center. How come you IPOB e-rats never talk about that.

The blackmail wouldn't work. Some of us know Nigeria's history.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 9:56pm On Oct 30, 2021
bigpriik:
Nobody is Yorubaland has the guts to declare oduduwa republic,not tinubu not Obasanjo even alafin and oooni,fear is real.
Why didn't your father declare biafra as a bloody nonentity civilian he is.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 9:58pm On Oct 30, 2021
Penguin2:

You are fighting me and still want me to give food to you and your kids, does that sound sensible to your brain?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Penguin2: 11:25pm On Oct 30, 2021
TooNoisy:

There was a war between Nigeria and Biafra. People were killed on both sides. Civilians and military men alike. The Biafran Army attacked Nigeria through the Mid-West. They killed and raped women in the present day Edo and Delta State and even declared Mid-West a republic. The Biafran soldiers were only stopped at Ore as they continued their advance killing people along the way. Biafra lost the war - simple as that.

I have never heard you IPOB e-rats complain that Igbo soldiers truncated Nigeria's first republic. Young Igbo soldiers killed politicians and senior military officers from other regions but left Igbo politicians and officers untouched. How is that not ethnic cleansing. But when the Northerners retaliated the Igbo started crying. Aguiyi Ironsi, an Igbo man, unilaterally changed Nigeria from a Federation to a Unitary System of Government, giving absolute power to the center. How come you IPOB e-rats never talk about that.

The blackmail wouldn't work. Some of us know Nigeria's history.

Kaduna Nzeogwu, an Okpanam man from Delta led the coup that you are tagging Igbo coup.

But today when Igbos say Delta Igbos are part of mainstream Igbos, I’m sure you are one of those who call us attaché by force because of oil.

3 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Penguin2: 11:28pm On Oct 30, 2021
KoshCAD:
You are fighting me and still want me to give food to you and your kids, does that sound sensible to your brain?

So you admit that Awolowo was nothing but a war criminal, who spearheaded the starving of innocent children all in the service of his Fulani masters for a pot of porridge that eluded him till he drank rat poison and died a miserable death?

Same road that Tinubu is taking today that will lead nowhere but his doom.

4 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2021
Penguin2:

So you admit that Awolowo was nothing but a war criminal, who spearheaded the starving of innocent children all in the service of his Fulani masters for a pot of porridge that eluded him till he drank rat poison and died a miserable death?

Same road that Tinubu is taking today that will lead nowhere but his doom.
He was never a war criminal but a pacifier. He only gave his opinion on order for the war to stop which everyone can do as well.

It is left for the person advice to take it or leave it.

And before you start blaming, have you ever blamed ojukwu for diverting the food sent to civilians in order for him to feed his soldiers for them to continue fighting? Have you. Or do you think they just stopped supplying food.

Why did ojukwu not prepare enough food before the war?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 30, 2021
bigpriik:

Let’s say they find a way to borrow some of your “guts” to declare Oduduwa. What happens after that? How do they achieve this so called Oduduwa without having their people suffer from kwashiorkor. Like you people with plenty of guts

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Obamaofusa: 11:54pm On Oct 30, 2021
Penguin2:

You are a barawo.
A few people who had money in the very few banks present then had withdrawn their money.Biafrans even looted the CBN in Benin.
Awolowo was very benevolent in giving out those palliatives.Igbos should be grateful to him.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Penguin2: 11:58pm On Oct 30, 2021
Obamaofusa:

You are a barawo.
A few people who had money in the very few banks present then had withdrawn their money.Biafrans even looted the CBN in Benin.
Awolowo was very benevolent in giving out those palliatives.Igbos should be grateful to him.

You take somebody’s millions and hand him 20 bucks; and you call it palliatives?

It is no palliative but robbery.

2 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Penguin2: 12:03am On Oct 31, 2021
KoshCAD:
He was never a war criminal but a pacifier. He only gave his opinion on order for the war to stop which everyone can do as well.

It is left for the person advice to take it or leave it.

And before you start blaming, have you ever blamed ojukwu for diverting the food sent to civilians in order for him to feed his soldiers for them to continue fighting? Have you. Or do you think they just stopped supplying food.

Why did ojunot prepare enough food before the war?

Ojukwu should have prepared a three year supply of food?

Seriously?

Awolowo gave Gowon a venomous advise which Gowon took and blockaded food supply to Biafra.

Till eternity, the death of those innocent children will be on his head. And it is part of the curse that made him never taste the presidency he so much coveted and which made him slave for the north.

And like Awolowo, so shall be Tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Obamaofusa: 12:06am On Oct 31, 2021
bigpriik:

Yorubas that had Empire which expanded up to Dahomey,Ketu and Ewe in Ghana.
Yorubas who defeated the Nupes,Fulanis,Ashantis,The fearful Amazons etc.These formidable Yorubas are the ones Igbo weaklings in their millions will always like to badmouth o.
Fortunately,minority people like the Igalas,Ijaws and Binis have always enjoyed tramplimg on Igbo flat heads and using the everlasting cowards as slaves.Tufiakwa!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 12:12am On Oct 31, 2021
Penguin2:

Ojukwu should have prepared a three year supply of food?

Seriously?

Awolowo gave Gowon a venomous advise which Gowon took and blockaded food supply to Biafra.

Till eternity, the death of those innocent children will be on his head. And it is part of the curse that made him never taste the presidency he so much coveted and which made him slave for the north.

And like Awolowo, so shall be Tinubu.
You can cry from now till eternity.

If truly the blood of the innocent children had been on his head, his own children and grand children would have been suffering, but no, instead of that, they keep soaring higher and making waves.

That should tell you that he is innocent.

No fucking blood is in his head.
The person that the blood is in his head is ojukwu who couldn't prepare well for his people and want them to keep feeding him whole he fights them.

Awoo is a free man.

He did what he did for the children not to perished.

Can you explain how he's slave to the north but your azikwe that the world know to be their willing slave is not.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by DMerciful(m): 1:50am On Oct 31, 2021
How did Awolowo died?
KoshCAD:
You can cry from now till eternity.

If truly the blood of the innocent children had been on his head, his own children and grand children would have been suffering, but no, instead of that, they keep soaring higher and making waves.

That should tell you that he is innocent.

No fucking blood is in his head.
The person that the blood is in his head is ojukwu who couldn't prepare well for his people and want them to keep feeding him whole he fights them.

Awoo is a free man.

He did what he did for the children not to perished.

Can you explain how he's slave to the north but your azikwe that the world know to be their willing slave is not.
Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Karlovych: 1:51am On Oct 31, 2021
embarassed embarassed He was a coward who chose rat poison over liberating his people. He is to be blamed for the numerous owomida urchins littered all over his region

2 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by uthlaw: 7:24am On Oct 31, 2021
bigpriik:
that shouldn't be your father's Father problem!

2 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 31, 2021
bigpriik:

Fear? Yoruba land is x10 of igboland and you think they acquire the land through fear? If ibo are really brave as they are they should keep fighting fulani without hiding under Yoruba

Loud mouth and rash and foolish action is not bravery, your bravery didn't get you presidency, VP, Amotekun, banning open grazing, making SW peaceful, Yoruba "fear" got them those

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 31, 2021
Obamaofusa:

Yorubas that had Empire which expanded up to Dahomey,Ketu and Ewe in Ghana.
Yorubas who defeated the Nupes,Fulanis,Ashantis,The fearful Amazons etc.These formidable Yorubas are the ones Igbo weaklings in their millions will always like to badmouth o.
Fortunately,minority people like the Igalas,Ijaws and Binis have always enjoyed tramplimg on Igbo flat heads and using the everlasting cowards as slaves.Tufiakwa!!

Some Yoruba will be afraid of replying back esp. on twitter as if ibo have taken their masculinity from them.

Ibo have won zero war, they were fine pickings of slaves to Ijaw, Efiks, Bini, itsekiri and igala

11 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by bigpriik: 8:04am On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:

Fear? Yoruba land is x10 of igboland and you think they acquire the land through fear? If ibo are really brave as they are they should keep fighting fulani without hiding under Yoruba

Loud mouth and rash and foolish action is not bravery, your bravery didn't get you presidency, VP, Amotekun, banning open grazing, making SW peaceful, Yoruba "fear" got them those

Yorubas never acquired the land through war, Yorubaland was a virgin Forest land before your ancestors settle there.

1 Like

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 31, 2021
bigpriik:

Yorubas never acquired the land through war, Yorubaland was a virgin Forest land before your ancestors settle there.

Go and read history, was Ibo land not a virgin land? Or your ancestors were unable to defend their land against Bini and igala? Is that why oyo state is bigger than alaigbo?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 8:18am On Oct 31, 2021
DMerciful:
How did Awolowo died?
Your father killed him.

Now tell me, how did ojukwu died at the same age as Awoo?

2 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 8:27am On Oct 31, 2021
Penguin2:

You take somebody’s millions and hand him 20 bucks; and you call it palliatives?

Millions hahaha, ask your father at home if he get up to 2pounds in the bank then cos everything is millions to you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by cocolacec(m): 8:28am On Oct 31, 2021
Penguin2:

Only foolish people expect the people you are fighting to give you food.What if Gowon was planning to poison your food supplies and it was blocked?

Gowon was the head of state and has all the right to do whatever he wants.Awolowo was just a minister.It is like saying Ngige has more say in the govt than buhari.Food blockade is used in every war.

Even Ethiopia is doing the same thing to Tigray as we speak.What didnt Biafran allies supply food to the starving Biafrans?In war, you must be prepared for all eventualities and fall outs.

6 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by KoshCAD: 8:33am On Oct 31, 2021
Karlovych:
embarassed embarassed He was a coward who chose rat poison over liberating his people. He is to be blamed for the numerous owomida urchins littered all over his region
But your brave father or grandfather was alive at the time, why did he not declare biafra.

Do you want to compare Awoo to your ojukwu that died senile at 78, same age with great Awoo.

Ojukwu was not only senile, he couldn't recognise his children again, he was already decaying on bed, he was bed ridden at 78.

He got punished from earth for starving innocent children.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by cocolacec(m): 8:35am On Oct 31, 2021
Penguin2:

Ojukwu’s generation exchanged their Nigerian pounds for Biafran pounds stuck in their wardrobe or under the bed till today.
In history ,no conqueror ever pays the conquered for loosing a war.Did the British ever pay Igbos for conquering your land and merging it to One Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Could Awolowo Really Have Declared A Yoruba Republic? My Answer is NO! by DMerciful(m): 8:57am On Oct 31, 2021
A simple question and you started being insultive
KoshCAD:
Your father killed him.

Now tell me, how did ojukwu died at the same age as Awoo?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nobody Has Shown Any Evidence, Beyond Mere Words, That IPOB Killed Anyone / Why Can’t Yoruba Present Akinwumi Adesina As A Presidential Candidate / APC Reportedly Picks Ganduje As Tinubu’s Running Mate – Ganduje’s Group Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.