Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church (565 Views)

Stephen Oni: Buhari Should Not Contest 2019 Election - Says Anglican Bishop / Anglican Bishop Drags 3 Priests To Court / Bride-To-Be Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Catholic Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 7:51pm On Oct 30, 2021
A married Church of England bishop has resigned from his position in order to join the Roman Catholic Church.

The Anglican Bishop of Ebbsfleet, Jonathan Goodall, said he made the decision following a long period of prayer "which has been among the most testing periods of my life".

Bishop of Ebbsfleet for eight years, he will now seek full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

The Archbishop of Canterbury said he accepted the resignation "with regret".

Bishop Goodall served as a provincial episcopal visitor, also known as a "flying bishop", ministering various parishes which decline to be overseen by a woman bishop.

He was a member of The Society, which seeks to promote and maintain catholic teaching and practice within the Church of England.

He has a wife, Sarah, and two children. Although Catholic priests are not permitted to marry, the Roman Catholic Church has in the past accepted married Anglican priests who convert.

In a statement on Friday, Bishop Goodall said: "Life in the communion of the Church of England has shaped and nourished my discipleship as a Catholic Christian for many decades."

He added: "I trust you all to believe that I have made my decision as a way of saying yes to God's present call and invitation, and not of saying no to what I have known and experienced in the Church of England, to which I owe such a deep debt."

The Archbishop, Justin Welby, said he was "deeply grateful" for the years of service, adding: "My prayers are with him and Sarah, both for his future ministry and for the direction in which they are being called in their continuing journey of dedicated service to Christ."

Several bishops converted in 2010 over the Church of England's ordination of women.

One of those to move was the serving Bishop of Ebbsfleet - the role Bishop Goodall is now vacating.

The Rt Rev Andrew Burnham went on to be ordained as a Catholic priest at the start of 2011. He is now the monsignor for the Hendred parish which covers two churches - St Mary's in East Hendred, Oxfordshire, and St Patrick's in East Ilsley, Berkshire
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2021
This should be the 6 Anglican bishop becoming Catholic since 2005, not to mention the many priests who have done the same.

I wonder how Nigerian Anglicans feel about the path Canterbury is following
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by wordapostle(m): 11:39am On Oct 31, 2021
Whatever that is taking them is secondary, the primary thing is let the gospel be preached to the nations of the natione of the world.
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by jmoore(m): 12:53pm On Oct 31, 2021
Ubenedictus:
This should be the 6 Anglican bishop becoming Catholic since 2005, not to mention the many priests who have done the same.

I wonder how Nigerian Anglicans feel about the path Canterbury is following

Nigerian Anglican has broken ties with Canterbury.. There is no church of England in Nigeria.

Moving to Roman Catholic? So he's going to believe that Mary died a virgin and her husband married her to be looking at her as a tourist attraction without consummation..
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 4:07pm On Oct 31, 2021
jmoore:

Nigerian Anglican has broken ties with Canterbury.. There is no church of England in Nigeria.

Moving to Roman Catholic? So he's going to believe that Mary died a virgin and her husband married her to be looking at her as a tourist attraction without consummation..
There are alot of protestants who believe in the virginity of Mary...are you not aware?

https://anglicancompass.com/the-blessed-virgin-mary/
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by jmoore(m): 4:18pm On Oct 31, 2021
Ubenedictus:

There are alot of protestants who believe in the virginity of Mary...are you not aware?

https://anglicancompass.com/the-blessed-virgin-mary/
Alot is how many percent? I am only getting to know this from you. Which means it is not a popular belief especially in Nigeria. But all roman catholic church in all countries believe that Mary died a virgin.
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2021
jmoore:

Alot is how many percent? I am only getting to know this from you. Which means it is not a popular belief especially in Nigeria. But all roman catholic church in all countries believe that Mary died a virgin.
in the Anglican book of common prayer Mary is always called "blessed virgin Mary".

Anglicans also accept the ecumenical council that teach virginity of Mary
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by jmoore(m): 4:38pm On Oct 31, 2021
Ubenedictus:
in the Anglican book of common prayer Mary is always called "blessed virgin Mary".

Anglicans also accept the ecumenical council that teach virginity of Mary
You keep referring to link, book etc. Back in secondary school there was alot of debates in our hostel between catholics and anglicans on the issue. No anglican classmate of mine supported that Mary died a virgin.
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2021
jmoore:

You keep referring to link, book etc. Back in secondary school there was alot of debates in our hostel between catholics and anglicans on the issue. No anglican classmate of mine supported that Mary died a virgin.

the books I am referring to is the authoritative document of the Anglican church. That is the Anglican church official text of worship.

Maybe your Anglican friends don't believe it, but the books they use in their church every day says so.
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by btoks: 2:30am On Nov 01, 2021
jmoore:

Vow of virginity by married Jewish women was not unusual in those days as we see from instructions in Numbers 30.

Also this was no ordinary family, she was a virgin when she conceived and gave birth to our Lord Jesus, the 2nd person of the Trinity.

The bishop most likely believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary before converting anyway; there's obviously a lot more with the catholic faith than that 1 doctrine.
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Presidentwife(f): 3:18am On Nov 01, 2021
jmoore:

Is that your only issue with the Catholic church
Re: Married Anglican Bishop Joins Catholic Church by Presidentwife(f): 3:19am On Nov 01, 2021
btoks:

Vow of virginity by married Jewish women was not unusual in those days as we see from instructions in Numbers 30.

Also this was no ordinary family, she was a virgin when she conceived and gave birth to our Lord Jesus, the 2nd person of the Trinity.

The bishop most likely believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary before converting anyway; there's obviously a lot more with the catholic faith than that 1 doctrine.

Thank you very much

(1) (Reply)

Please Nairalanders I Need Your Advice And Help.. / The Law Was Given By Moses! Find Out Now!!! / Pastor Kumuyi Replies Prophet Who Asked Him, Oyedepo, Adeboye To Resign (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.