Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,538 members, 7,823,352 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment (42326 Views)

Family Of Female Corper Trapped In Collapsed Ikoyi Building Prays She Is Alive / Nifemi, PA To Owner Of Collapsed Ikoyi Building Found Dead, Osibona Trapped / The Collapsed 21-Storey Building Was Sealed By Lagos State Government In 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by LollySeaSide: 2:50pm On Nov 02, 2021
Wow!!
Just wow!!!!!!
So the murderer actually planned to sell death to hundreds!
...and he actually sold them their death!!!
This is more than unbelievable.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by GboyegaD(m): 3:05pm On Nov 02, 2021
yom2:
na one of those big men with big man syndrome oppressing d poor ones. Na their way. They are always right.

How best can we call for justice? I understand corruption is eaten so deep but can't things be salvaged?
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by adanny01(m): 3:05pm On Nov 02, 2021
OnlineArchitect:
It gets really sad when you see things like this happening, you rarely see things like this in the western world were building codes/laws are been adhered to strictly. Disasters like this are avoidable but because of greed building collapse has become a norms in Nigeria. Every building has its structural standards that must be followed to the letter but you'll see engineers on site trying to go against specifications in order to cut costs and make more profits or clients on the order hand telling the engineers to minimize the use of materials so he can save more. Sometimes even when the engineers refuses to compromise on quality the client would tell him to go saying he's too expensive and look for one quack who's ready to do their bidding. It's even more sad that relevant agencies who are supposed to check these irregularities are given stipend and by so doing they forget about it and move on the next site.

I have left construction projects due to the fact that clients wants me to compromise in most cases. There was a project i was handling for a very popular church in 2016 it's an event centre, the structural drawings says a base of 4ft by 4ft is to be used with 16mm reinforcement bars. But these guys came saying using it as specificied will consume much money that they will want me to use 2ft by 2ft base with 12mm reinforcement bars as the columns. Well long story short i left the project as i told them i can't compromise the structural details as regards the building.

It's very important to maintain your integrity as Proffesionals so as not to stain yourself at the long run, forget about the money involved cos it's not worth other people's lives when the damage eventually occurs.

Money can't buy integrity. Rip to those that lost their lives...

I was once contacted for a church auditorium with a multi level parking structural design. I was given 2 weeks but I insisted a month. They gave another Engr I know very well, this Engr is an OND holder (no offense intended), he collected mobilization and switched off his phones for the next 3 weeks. It took them about 6weeks to get something out of this guy. The design didn't get approval for the next 2 months.

When i saw the design, especially the roof truss, I burst into laughter.

Me, I no get that mind to collect persin money and deliver nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by brandsoncharlie: 3:10pm On Nov 02, 2021
saferoom:
Those who it was meant for werent complaining.
Rest in peace to all the dead.

We have more than 200 Highly Experienced Professionals. Each of us has atleast 15 years Experience. Altogether we have a Total Combined Experience of more than 3000 years in construction on 3 different continents!
We give you 200 Years Structural Warranty for any project we handle. Check signature for number
Let's handle your construction today
200 years warranty? grin grin grin
Can you show any building being constructed by your team that has lived up to 200 years?

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by muheeb01(m): 3:11pm On Nov 02, 2021
Such huge amount for a substandard house or death trap...Lagos is overrated,Quality life dey Town too
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by muheeb01(m): 3:13pm On Nov 02, 2021
Such huge amount for a substandard house or death trap....Lagos is overrated Quality life dey Town too,depending on your work or nature sha
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by EMIOMOADEOYE: 3:14pm On Nov 02, 2021
Why would I want to buy a 2 Billion naira APARTMENT in a shit hole like Lagos.

Like WTF.

Its insane. Absolutely insane.

These are the kind of buildings that EFCC should be raiding.

Not innocent young lads who are making their own economy.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by EMIOMOADEOYE: 3:16pm On Nov 02, 2021
muheeb01:
Such huge amount for a substandard house or death trap....Lagos is overrated Quality life dey Town too,depending on your work or nature sha

Abeokuta
Ibadan
Osogbo
Akure
Ilesa

Lagos has nothing on these areas in terms of quality of life.

If you have money, these are the places you should be living.....not a ramshackle place like Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by donforeign: 3:25pm On Nov 02, 2021
streetzdreamz:
Obviously you can read, now try the read to understand approach, not the read to respond.

Cary ur wahala go .
Dey deceive yourself
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by paskal16: 3:34pm On Nov 02, 2021
Omo and ppl dey wey go pay dat money for an apartment lol
Money wey I go use buy two detached houses for me and my mum for lekki cry

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Noshitboi(m): 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2021
MAXIMAL123:
For your electrical works,

Contact us now
Nce job but I see so many violated safety measures in your first pic. Remember, safety first! God bless your hustle.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by toujurs: 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2021
kingphilip:
Na so people for use this huge amount of money buy their death certificate?

Heard the owner abi developer was trapped, if so when he is rescued, for the rest of his life he'd learn to do things right
As in ehh, wahala true true no dey finish cheesy
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Beninwitch: 3:41pm On Nov 02, 2021
2.85 billions! shocked shocked shocked

God abeg make I get money for this life oooo. Odindin billions for an apartment. Not even millions!
It is well.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by otipoju(m): 3:44pm On Nov 02, 2021
adonainana:

So people will be working in a building and they will allow people to carry out a controlled demolition in the building almost 100 workers are working on

Sometimes you have to read what you want to type on a public forum again and again before you click post

Dont think you are smart when you are not. He was actually thinking of possible sabotage.

Well an eye witness account from one of the workers in the building says someone was chiseling a pillar and the building was vibrating before just before it happened.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by yongg: 3:45pm On Nov 02, 2021
Cchuks27:
This building didn't collapse on Friday, Saturday or Sunday but had to collapse on Monday when the Engineers were meeting. Hmm, I hope this matter is thoroughly investigated and someone is held accountable. I suspect an aggrieved Engineer or contractor caused it.

If the building was operational with full load on all floors, there would have been more damage.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Geenosko: 3:52pm On Nov 02, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Lol. Isn't everything in Naija over priced? Compare the price of a brand new iPhone in the US and in Nigeria. Or a Toyota Corolla abroad vs Naija

True talk!!!
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by PARADIZEPRIEST: 3:53pm On Nov 02, 2021
RITUAL BUILDING angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by AngelicBeing: 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2021
sad
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by AyelalaOo(m): 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2021
Abeg which building wey no go fit collapse for this Lagos now self, make we know o, ah don dey fear even one storey now o.
Nigeria is the most dangerous country to live in now in term of human error problems,
Even Buhari is an error and statue.
Osinbajo is an errand and figure head
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Elsueno: 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2021
otipoju:

Dont think you are smart when you are not. He was actually thinking of possible sabotage.

Well an eye witness account from one of the workers in the building says someone was chiseling a pillar and the building was vibrating before just before it happened.

Some of u don't have conscience woh, u saw dat people died in dat building & all ur thinking of is one John wick guy to assassinate a developer in Lagos...Bros abeg, if u have any idea what it takes for a control demolition u won't even think of such bullshyt... Chiselling a pillar? Seriously?!

2 Likes

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Lewisdinho(m): 4:06pm On Nov 02, 2021
Na my former company ITB NIG LTD for lagos where fit handle this kind project without any fault.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Lxc1: 4:22pm On Nov 02, 2021
I will use that to buy crypto and wait for years till I become a billionaire
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Geeman74(m): 4:40pm On Nov 02, 2021
kingphilip:
Na so people for use this huge amount of money buy their death certificate?

Heard the owner abi developer was trapped, if so when he is rescued, for the rest of his life he'd learn to do things right
unfortunately, there is a rumour that he didn't come out alive
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by princewarri1985: 4:48pm On Nov 02, 2021
JaskanFactor:
did anybody notice that the building collapsed straight down onto its foundation.

and the building had been standing for almost a year or more before the collapse.

Basically if the building was controlled demolition, it wold look exactly like this one did.
A straight down collapse unto its footprint affecting no nearby structures .

And then to top it up, its just by chance that this happened when the owner was inside .
Am just saying too many coincidences in this one to rule out foul play.
YOU ARE VERY SMART! YOU SAW WHAT NOBODY ELSE SAW
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Abudu2000(m): 5:21pm On Nov 02, 2021
OnlineArchitect:
It gets really sad when you see things like this happening, you rarely see things like this in the western world were building codes/laws are been adhered to strictly. Disasters like this are avoidable but because of greed building collapse has become a norms in Nigeria. Every building has its structural standards that must be followed to the letter but you'll see engineers on site trying to go against specifications in order to cut costs and make more profits or clients on the order hand telling the engineers to minimize the use of materials so he can save more. Sometimes even when the engineers refuses to compromise on quality the client would tell him to go saying he's too expensive and look for one quack who's ready to do their bidding. It's even more sad that relevant agencies who are supposed to check these irregularities are given stipend and by so doing they forget about it and move on the next site.

I have left construction projects due to the fact that clients wants me to compromise in most cases. There was a project i was handling for a very popular church in 2016 it's an event centre, the structural drawings says a base of 4ft by 4ft is to be used with 16mm reinforcement bars. But these guys came saying using it as specificied will consume much money that they will want me to use 2ft by 2ft base with 12mm reinforcement bars as the columns. Well long story short i left the project as i told them i can't compromise the structural details as regards the building.

It's very important to maintain your integrity as Proffesionals so as not to stain yourself at the long run, forget about the money involved cos it's not worth other people's lives when the damage eventually occurs.

Money can't buy integrity. Rip to those that lost their lives...
that's clients scope, they want to cut corners but they need some figure head to take the fall for it.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Brushless: 5:41pm On Nov 02, 2021
JaskanFactor:
did anybody notice that the building collapsed straight down onto its foundation.

and the building had been standing for almost a year or more before the collapse.

Basically if the building was controlled demolition, it wold look exactly like this one did.

And then to top it up, its just by chance that this happened when the owner was inside .
You may be right! A lot of our contractors are herbalist in waiting, take the job off one give to another, you will have no peace. The original contractor needs be investigated.
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by otipoju(m): 5:58pm On Nov 02, 2021
Elsueno:

Some of u don't have conscience woh, u saw dat people died in dat building & all ur thinking of is one John wick guy to assassinate a developer in Lagos...Bros abeg, if u have any idea what it takes for a control demolition u won't even think of such bullshyt... Chiselling a pillar? Seriously?!

Fact is no one knows what actually happened. I watched a dazed eyewitness say that pillars were being chiseled and he observed the vibration and told his friend to leave the building with him.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by geezynoni: 6:03pm On Nov 02, 2021
Na lie be this
Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by descarado: 7:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
We build super fast.

A mini estate very close to my house took more than 2 yrs to complete. I sked why waste this much time cos money wasn't the problem here as per naija style. I was told that they have to adhere to govt rules and regulations. And when it was all finished, I can understand why houses are very expensive here and can stand for 100yrs and above without cracking.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Ikoyi Building Was Going For N2.85 Billion Per Apartment by Tomahawk99(m): 8:30pm On Nov 02, 2021
JaskanFactor:

There was no controlled demolition, controlled demolition is done with the use of explosives and wiring of the base of the building which will leave behind residue that can be identified.
The foundation of the structure sank straight down that's why you see the effect of the floors piled on top others.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Need HDF Doors?: Check Out Our Custom HDF Doors With Edge Protection Material. / Three Storey Building Collapses At Ilasa, Lagos (Photos, Video) / How To Prevent Your Nepa Prepaid Meter Card From Running Out Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.