Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) (53855 Views)

Bella Disu Completes Luxurious High Rise Complex (Pictures) / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Many Pupils Dead, Over 100 Trapped As School Building Collapses In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Omoluabi16(m): 2:53pm On Nov 03, 2021
Explorers:
[b]Sampoong n.
Pure manslaughter. Its surprising the lee joon fellow was not hanged. I just read he was charged for only negligence and spent only 7 years in prison!

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Omoluabi16(m): 2:59pm On Nov 03, 2021
.:
Skyline Plaza, Virginia, USA (14 Dead)

Michael Hill, 31, ran all the way down the stairs from the 23rd floor when he saw cracks appear in the ceiling.

He made it to the fourth floor when he was forced to jump out of a window. He broke both his arms but survived
determination!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by redcliff: 11:40am On Nov 05, 2021
the way that Ikoyi own fall eh, like pack of cards. person no fit survive inside oo..
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by NamelessOGBENI(m): 11:42am On Nov 05, 2021
Ivy Hodge was treated for burns, but ultimately she and her gas stove, which she took with her to her new address, both survived....

See climax abeg

2 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Kajaard: 11:44am On Nov 05, 2021
Explorers:
Ronan Point, London, England (22-Story).

In East London, May 16, 1968, a single match triggered the collapse of an entire corner of a massive 22-story building.

Ivy Hodge, a 56-year-old cake decorator living on the 18th floor, got up early to make herself a cup of tea.

However, she got a lot more than she’d bargained for.

When Miss Hodge lit her stove, the spark from the match triggered a devastating gas explosion.

The blast tore through the joints connecting the walls to the floor and threw her to the ground.

The load-bearing walls came apart, leaving the four apartments above her without any kind of structural support.

One by one, they came down, tearing through the floors.

The building was in fact new, its construction completed just five days prior to the collapse.

When Ronan Point came tumbling down, 260 people were in residence.

Surprisingly, only four were killed in the disaster, while 17 were injured.

Ivy Hodge was treated for burns, but ultimately she and her gas stove, which she took with her to her new address, both survived.

So she and her gas stove that caused the building collapse survived and even started a new life in her new apartment? grin

Lol cheesy grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Hyphy(m): 11:45am On Nov 05, 2021
I'm on the ground floor of a 6 storey reading this story, imagine how I'm feelling undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Sandralight(f): 11:46am On Nov 05, 2021
Nawa oh
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by muheeb01(m): 11:46am On Nov 05, 2021
So e don tey wey e dey happen everywhere
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by mechanics(m): 11:46am On Nov 05, 2021
Explorers:
World Trade Centre, Twin Towers, New York City, USA(100&110-story)

The most devastating building collapse in human history, the World Trade Center, September 11, 2001.

The Twin Towers were masterfully engineered using lightweight steel, a central core, and an egg-crate design creating a “redundant” structure. In other words, if one column or support were to fail, another would take its place.

Each building was made to handle 5,000 tons of lateral wind-load.

The impact and weight of the jets didn’t come close to overcoming the strength of these perimeter columns.

The real problem proved to the over 90,000 gallons of burning jet fuel that sent plumes of black smoke trailing into the sky over New York City.

The fire itself didn’t melt the steel columns holding up the building, it only weakened them.

Though it reduced to 50 percent of their previous strength due to the temperature of the inferno, but the columns were still capable of holding up the building.

The real issue came down to the uneven temperature of the fire, which distorted the steel on one side of skyscraper.

The stress proved too much, and eventually the floors buckled and began a domino collapse, pancaking down one on top of the other.

Each tower weighed over 500,000 tons. And it took just ten seconds for these immense buildings to collapse, hitting the ground at 124 mph.

Despite the fact that there were no specific engineering flaws involved in the design of the Twin Towers, engineers continue to study the buildings to learn more about redundant design and progressive collapse; and most importantly, with the aim of formulating life-saving safety and evacuation procedures in the future.

During the September 11 2001 attacks, 2,977 people were killed, 19 hijackers committed murder–suicide, and more than 6,000 others were injured.

Of the 2,996 total deaths (including the terrorists), 2,763 were in the World Trade Center and the surrounding area, 189 were at the Pentagon, and 44 were in Pennsylvania.

These deaths included 265 on the four planes.

The attacks remain the deadliest terrorist act in world history.
The building didn't collapse, it was a terrorist attack.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by blackslayer: 11:47am On Nov 05, 2021
Most of those building collapse were due to natural disaster and not due to a compromised structural integrity! Notice how the building collapse in ikoyi collapsed like a stack of cards? I am even surprised there were any survivors, that is a miracle.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 05, 2021
From the title alone I knew it's an explorer post

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by dyera(m): 11:53am On Nov 05, 2021
That South Korea own is worse than what happens in a movie.

2 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Qualer: 11:53am On Nov 05, 2021
Explorers:

The most devastating building collapse in human history, the World Trade Center, September 11, 2001.

The Twin Towers were masterfully engineered using lightweight steel, a central core, and an egg-crate design creating a “redundant” structure. In other words, if one column or support were to fail, another would take its place.

The impact and weight of the jets didn’t come close to overcoming the strength of these perimeter columns.

The real problem proved to the over 90,000 gallons of burning jet fuel that sent plumes of black smoke trailing into the sky over New York City.

The fire itself didn’t melt the steel columns holding up the building, it only weakened them.

Though it reduced to 50 percent of their previous strength due to the temperature of the inferno, but the columns were still capable of holding up the building.

The real issue came down to the uneven temperature of the fire, which distorted the steel on one side of skyscraper.

The stress proved too much, and eventually the floors buckled and began a domino collapse, pancaking down one on top of the other.

Each tower weighed over 500,000 tons. And it took just ten seconds for these immense buildings to collapse, hitting the ground at 124 mph.

Despite the fact that there were no specific engineering flaws involved in the design of the Twin Towers, engineers continue to study the buildings to learn more about redundant design and progressive collapse; and most importantly, with the aim of formulating life-saving safety and evacuation procedures in the future.

During the September 11 2001 attacks, 2,977 people were killed, 19 hijackers committed murder–suicide, and more than 6,000 others were injured.

Of the 2,996 total deaths (including the terrorists), 2,763 were in the World Trade Center and the surrounding area, 189 were at the Pentagon, and 44 were in Pennsylvania.

I don't think this should be in the list as it was brought down deliberately!! smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by vikstandon(m): 11:57am On Nov 05, 2021
But truth be told... The mindset behind High Rise Buildings is similar to that of Ancient Babel... Vibrations and land-shifts in history discourages buildings above 4th-5th floor.
Most Builders and construction Engineers who embark on such projects are egocentric; Is just about making a point. No safety considerations...and where there is, it is tactless and proclaims insensitivity of the Builder. For instance, it is not hard to spot many works of Builders or Engineers that take up space and deprive others of ventilation.

2 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by LollySeaSide: 11:58am On Nov 05, 2021
Very tragic! Very tragic!!
Most of these disasters are avoidable but recklessness, greed and the evil in the minds of men wouldn't allow absolute caution to prevail.
How unfortunate!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by realstars: 11:58am On Nov 05, 2021
Okay, Nigeria At It Right Now.
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by ComeToJesus: 12:00pm On Nov 05, 2021
Only Explorer can do this.
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 05, 2021
Why I hate high rise buildings. If I ever live in one it will have to be at the topmost floor so in case of any collapse, I will be at the top of the rubble.
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by NamelessOGBENI(m): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2021
FireRain:
Explorer the Best. Thank you for all shared knowledge.

To the topic, most crumbling edifices in Nigeria is due to greed.
When you go in search of apartments, one gets shocked at the level of wickedness of humans in this country.
Bricklayers slashing apartments like bread. cry
I beg to differ on that last line.

I've been with the bricklaying department of a local construction coy for months now and I can tell you that most clients are magical with their demands, imagine someone asking you to come up with a block of 3bedroom bungalow for 1.8million naira and if we try to let them see things from our perspective na another wahala...

When I read a comment from an architect here, I was impressed, only few construction workers seems to know what it means not to tarnish one reputation.

2 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Kajaard: 12:03pm On Nov 05, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:
Why I hate high rise buildings. If I ever live in one it will have to be at the topmost floor so in case of any collapse, I will be at the top of the rubble.

And you think you will survive it? You think the collapse happens in a uniform manner where the topmost floor falls on every other floor?

Or you think the force of the fall will not kill you as well? Don't even imagine being in such a situation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by olatade(m): 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2021
Better to die immediately than to linger in the dark and slowly suffocate from inhaling the dust while your throat cries out from water.
I can't imagine a worse death.

And to think this tragedy was not caused by a natural disaster but from pure human evil?
And to now imagine..
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by KingAzari: 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2021
iamyemiakins:

Oloriburuku ni bọbọ Joon yi sha! shocked

May we not encounter or have any business to do with people like Joon.

Was he killed like Osibona?
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by OlujobaSamuel: 12:11pm On Nov 05, 2021
Oye ki won Ju Joon nu sí ọdọ ọọni ni (Joon should be thrown into a river filled with crocodile).
That Joon is just like a typical Naija politician

5 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Explorers(m): 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2021
Hyphy:
I'm on the ground floor of a 6 storey reading this story, imagine how I'm feelling undecided

grin
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by SenecaTheYonger: 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2021
Did anyone notice that in first world countries, only a portion of the building collapsed but k. Third world countries, the entire thing came down

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Alexpetra: 12:15pm On Nov 05, 2021
Explorers:

about the World Trade Centre ... Is it that the plane is not having passengers onboard just the hijackers and how did the death numbers got to Pentagon and Pennsylvania ? Thanks for the insight though
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Bbbwings: 12:16pm On Nov 05, 2021
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Explorers(m): 12:17pm On Nov 05, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

No where is safe, you just have to be lucky.

3 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:17pm On Nov 05, 2021
iamyemiakins:

Oloriburuku ni bọbọ Joon yi sha! shocked

May we not encounter or have any business to do with people like Joon.

I swear.

People like him will just push someone to their early grave

2 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Nightalan: 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2021
And these bastards got only:
-Lee Joon, 10.5 years in prison (later reduced to 7.5 years)
-Lee Han-Sang, (His son) 7 years in prison.

They ought to be hanged, though the man's death a few months after his release offers some satisfaction.

6 Likes

Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2021
Omoluabi16:
Pure manslaughter. Its surprising the lee joon fellow was not hanged. I just read he was charged for only negligence and spent only 7 years in prison!

What Just seven years??
Re: Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
Kajaard:

And you think you will survive it? You think the collapse happens in a uniform manner where the topmost floor falls on every other floor?

Or you think the force of the fall will not kill you as well? Don't even imagine being in such a situation.

Not saying it’s guaranteed risk free but you have a better chance of being rescued alive if you are at the top of the rubble not buried deep within.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Tallest Building In Anambra State Abandoned (Video, Pictures) / Panic In Abia Community As Erosion Site Swallows 2-storey Building (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.