Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,528 members, 7,812,645 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused (837 Views)

Missing Fiance Star Michael Ilesanmi Is Seen Being Abused By Wife Angela Deem / Why Children Of Strict Parents Turn Out To Be Worse / My Husband Can’t Satisfy Me Sexually – Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by xcyril: 3:17am On Nov 05, 2021
DAY 16 OF THE 30 DAYS CHILD ABUSE AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
In commemoration of the World Day for the Prevention of Child Abuse – November 19
Brought to you by the Centre for Total Child Development (CTCD)

WHY CHILDREN DON'T TELL ADULT WHEN THEY ARE SEXUALLY ABUSED

Children often cannot tell about a sexual abuse problem because of the fear of:

• Remembering: Children often cope with their abuse by pushing it so far back in their minds that they “forget”. To remember means to feel hurt again.

• Loss of love: Children often worry that their parents or friends will not love them once they know about their abuse, because now they are “dirty.” This is often because children will take responsibility for their abuse. Children also often fear separation from their families because of the telling.

• Shame and guilt: Children either know or can sense that their sexual experiences with an adult are wrong. By telling someone and acknowledging that this happened, they tend to fear the shame of the abuse. Older children will experience more sense of guilt than younger children.

• Blame: Children fear that they will be blamed for the sexual touches, that they somehow wanted it. Adults tend to be believed over children, and offenders often state that the child “asked” for the sexual touch. Children ask for affection and attention, which is their right. However they do not ask for sex, for which they cannot have the appropriate context for consent.

• Harm: Offender often maintains control over their victims by threatening harm to them or their families if they tell. Children are then burdened with the inappropriate responsibility of keeping their families safe.

• Parents: Most parents have not taken their time to properly teach their children age appropriate sex education. When a child is properly informed about child sexual abuse, good and bad touch, body boundaries and how and whom to report an abuse to, that child will speak up whenever an abuse occur or wants to occur.

---------------

If you know any child that is going through any form of child abuse please help the child to get help by reporting the abuse to the appropriate authority. CHILD ABUSE is all forms of physical and/or emotional maltreatment, sexual abuse, neglect, commercial or other exploitation of a child resulting in actual or potential harm to the child’s health, survival, development or dignity.

In all actions concerning the child, his or her best interest and well-being must be given paramount consideration.

The use of a child for the purpose of begging for alms, prostitution, domestic or sexual labour, as a slave or practices similar to slavery, forced or compulsory labour or for any purpose that deprives the child of the opportunity to attend and remain in school is a crime and it attracts imprisonment for a term of 10 years.

Employing any person under 18 years as domestic help outside his home or family environment is a crime that attracts 5 years imprisonment.

Anybody who has sexual intercourse with a child less than 18 years will be convicted to imprisonment for life.

Exposing or involving a child in the use of narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances is an offence liable to life imprisonment.

Every form of child abuse is a serious offence that is punishable by the law. Every child has the right to be free from every form of abuse.

Report any cases of child abuse to the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), your state Ministry of Women and Children Affairs or any NGO (Non-governmental Organisation) that advocates for the rights of children. If you notice any form of child abuse and you do not report, you are as guilty as the person committing the crime. Let’s join our hands to make the world a better place for children to live and grow.

------------------------------

The Centre for Total Child Development, Ibadan cordially invites you to her 2021 ANNUAL CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION CONFERENCE and the Child Development in Nigeria Merit Award

THEME: Protecting Children, Promoting Healthy Families and Preserving Communities

FEATURES: Plenary Sessions | Workshops | Skill Seminars | Walk Against Child Abuse | Inter-School Child Abuse Awareness Competition | Award Presentations & Prize Giving

DATE: 19th November, 2021

VENUE: Oyesina Hall, Oke Bola, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria

TIME: 9.00am prompt

PARTICIPANT: Students in secondary schools, voluntary organisations, religious institutions and orphanage homes, teachers, parents, children workers, and other stakeholders

ATTENDANCE: Attendance is FREE but registration is a MUST. To register please call/sms/whatsapp: 08180495451 or send email to emailtotalchild@gmail.com

SPONSORS & VOLUNTEERS ARE WELCOME

If you are interested in what we do, you can get involved in 3 ways:
1. Volunteer Partner: Join our vibrant team of volunteers to administer support to the children and young people coming for the Conference.
2. Resource Partner: Donate academic materials, products and other gift items to be given freely to the children and young people coming for the conference. You can also donate materials, equipment and facilities to support our cause.
3. Financial Partner: Donate fund to help us execute this Conference

Special thanks to those supporting us:
* In Service of Humanity Foundation, Lagos - @isohfoundation
* Onus Communications, Ibadan - @onuscommunications

For more information please contact:

CENTRE FOR TOTAL CHILD DEVELOPMENT
18, Anfani Road, Off Ring Road, Challenge, Ibadan
www.facebook.com/totalchilddev
www.instagram.com/totalchildev
Tel: 08180495451; 08101809463

Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Shedrack777: 3:26am On Nov 05, 2021
children are sexually abused on a daily basis but 95% of them can't speak out due to fear threat waged against them by the molester
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Shedrack777: 3:26am On Nov 05, 2021
I'M COMING
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by BBBmall25: 4:00am On Nov 05, 2021
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 05, 2021
Some parents are not close or friendly with their children. They make themselves so unapproachable that the children can't even confide in them about such sensitive issues or issues bothering then generally.

That's one thing I'm grrateful to God for about my parents. They made us feel so free to approach them easily with any thing bothering us and that was why I was able to escape sexual abuse after a near experience with one useless old man who's supposed to be my God father.

I was just 6 yrs old then. This man, an elderly man. ( was older than my dad then) was my Godfather by reason of baptism ( in Catholic). So since then ( after the baptism), if he sees me on the way, he'll be calling me "my daughter, my daughter". I'll go and greet him and continue on my way.

So, one day, he was coming to our house and saw me downstairs by the stair case. He just Carried me up with the usual "my daughter" trash. He didn't put me down until we got to the stairway.

This man put me down in front of him and made me back him. So my back was resting on his knees as we climbed up the stairs. The next thing, this ugly beast bent down ( we were still climbing) and threw his hands across my shoulders and started putting his hand inside my pant. Gosh! shocked I thought I was dreaming. And you know all this corner staircase can be very dark even in the day time.

I quickly wriggled and skipped a stair and he nearly fell because he didn't see that move coming but he quickly rubbed the front part below my belly button before regaining his balance and I jumped to the top case leading to the second floor to our apartment. Mehn.. I hated this man instantly.

Immediately we entered our flat, he sat with my dad in the sitting room and I went straight to my mum's room and told her everything the old fool did to me at the stair case. My mum quickly lay me on the bed and checked my body asking questions. And I told her he couldn't go past my belly button before I jumped off him. So after checking and not seeing any harm, she warned me never to go near the goat again.

When my mum came out to the sitting room, he was shaking. Looking at me and my Mom but my Mom just gave him a disgusting look. She just respected my dad and kept her cool there. I don't know if she later told my dad but since then the idiot never came to our house again. And if I see him, I'll hide.

Even when I started growing breast, he'll be calling me, I'll just be like, please please, excuse me. He'll be like " my daughter come here"! With authority. Ill just walk past him.

That is why I shout and frown when ever I see all these children following brother up and down. Even baba can not be trusted.
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by AMumAndMore(f): 10:15am On Nov 05, 2021
I think it will be best for sexual predators to be disgraced. Keeping your cool around them or giving them a private warning is not enough!

He should be the one running and hiding when he sees the child or the parents of the child he molested.

Its because of these private warnings that will make him do it to another child because the child's parents are not aware of the kind of person he is. But once people like him are disgraced and the whole neighbourhood knows what kind of person he is, they would know better than to leave their children with him.

In the US, people like that are labelled sex offenders and it goes permanently on their record such that even if they relocate they still have to go and report themselves to the authorities in the new place that they are sex offenders so everyone can be wary of them.

It's that same disgrace that should be given to people over here...

Mercychen:
Some parents are not close or friendly with their children. They make themselves so unapproachable that the children can't even confide in them about such sensitive issues or issues bothering then generally.

That's one thing I'm grrateful to God for about my parents. They made us feel so free to approach them easily with any thing bothering us and that was why I was able to escape sexual abuse after a near experience with one useless old man who's supposed to be my God father.

I was just 8 yrs old then. This man, an elderly man. ( was older than my dad then) was my Godfather by reason of baptism ( in Catholic). So since then, if he sees me on the way, he'll be calling me "my daughter, my daughter". I'll go and greet him and continue on my way.

So, one day, he was coming to our house and saw me downstairs by the stair case. He just Carried me up with the usual "my daughter" trash. He didn't put me down until we got to the stairway.

This man put me down in front of him and made me back him. So my back was resting on his knees as we climbed up the stairs. The next thing, this ugly beast bent down ( we were still climbing) and threw his hands across my shoulders and started putting his hand inside my pant. Gosh! shocked I thought I was dreaming. And you know all this corner staircase can be very dark even in the day time.

I quickly wriggled and skipped a stair and he nearly fell because he didn't see that move coming but he quickly rubbed the front part below my belly button before regaining his balance and I jumped to the top case leading to the second floor to our apartment. Mehn.. I hated this man instantly.

Immediately we entered our flat, he sat with my dad in the sitting room and I went straight to my mum's room and told her everything the old fool did to me at the stair case. My mum quickly lay me on the bed and checked my body asking questions. And I told her he couldn't go past my belly button before I jumped off him. So after checking and not seeing any harm, she warned me never to go near the goat again.

When my mum came out to the sitting room, he was shaking. Looking at me and my Mom but my Mom just gave him a disgusting look. She just respected my dad and kept her cool there. I don't know if she later told my dad but since then the idiot never came to our house again. And if I see him, I'll hide.

Even when I started growing breast, he'll be calling me, I'll just be like, please please, excuse me. He'll be like " my daughter come here"! With authority. Ill just walk past him.

That is why I shout and frown when ever I see all these children following brother up and down. Even baba can not be trusted.

1 Like

Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 05, 2021
AMumAndMore:
I think it will be best for sexual predators to be disgraced. Keeping your cool around them or giving them a private warning is not enough!

He should be the one running and hiding when he sees the child or the parents of the child he molested.

Its because of these private warnings that will make him do it to another child because the child's parents are not aware of the kind of person he is. But once people like him are disgraced and the whole neighbourhood knows what kind of person he is, they would know better than to leave their children with him.

In the US, people like that are labelled sex offenders and it goes permanently on their record such that even if they relocate they still have to go and report themselves to the authorities in the new place that they are sex offenders so everyone can be wary of them.

It's that same disgrace that should be given to people over here...

You know, my Mom was like, since there were no traces of bodily damage, it might be difficult to accuse or drag him for any form of molestation. And you know Nigerians, when you make such accusations without evidence, especially when it was reported by a little child, people will not believe you and they'll see you as insulting an elderly man especially as my Mom was so young then. So, she only did the little she could then.

I knew if it was my dad, he would have dragged him cos my dad doesn't joke with us with men.

1 Like

Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by AMumAndMore(f): 11:10am On Nov 06, 2021
I understand. Lol, I trust dads. Gbas gbos now, explanations later grin

Mercychen:

You know, my Mom was a like, since there were no traces of bodily damage, it might be difficult to a accuse or drag him for any form of molestation. And you know Nigerians, when you make such accusations without evidence, especially when it was reported by a little child, people will not believe you and they'll see you as insulting an elderly man especially as my Mom was so young then. So, she only did the little she could then.

I knew if it was my dad, he would have dragged him cos my dad doesn't joke with us with men.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Richy4(m): 11:25am On Nov 06, 2021
Some parents are too judgmental... those kids will be there when their parents were criticizing others... they usually hear their parent's tongue wagging most times when they were watching movies together or on a family gathering.....

You will hear a parent saying things like why should that parent allow their daughter to have a boy friend @ 18...Not in my house etc... So if their daughter was in a relationship, she will never say, if she got abused, she will never say... because she has already heard her mother or father say some stuff....
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Spherical77(m): 12:05pm On Nov 06, 2021
Richy4:
Some parents are too judgmental... those kids will be there when their parents were criticizing others... they usually hear their parent's tongue wagging most times when they were watching movies together or on a family gathering.....

You will hear a parent saying things like why should that parent allow their daughter to have a boy friend @ 18...Not in my house etc... So if their daughter was in a relationship, she will never say, if she got abused, she will never say... because she has already heard her mother or father say some stuff....

But that's the truth. Why keeping a boyfriend at that age? What do you expect when you've started what you ain't expected of. He'd definitely ask you for sex someday and possibly force himself on her

Do you expect the parents to encourage their daughters to start keeping boyfriend or what?

You don't start what you can't finish
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Richy4(m): 7:57am On Nov 07, 2021
Spherical77:
But that's the truth. Why keeping a boyfriend at that age? What do you expect when you've started what you ain't expected of. He'd definitely ask you for sex someday and possibly force himself on her

Do you expect the parents to encourage their daughters to start keeping boyfriend or what?

You don't start what you can't finish

Based on your question if a parent should encourage their daughters to keep boyfriends, the reality is no parent will encourage that but u and I knows that they will keep boyfriends anyways and lie that they have never spoken to any boy since they were born...

Parents can't monitor their movements 24hrs.. the best any parent would do Will be to encourage their daughters to bring their friends home so that they may know whom they were going out with and do the advice thing...

Being judgemental as a parent puts kids into a very bad situations because they might find themselves in that same situation and they can never confined in any of them.. instead they go to their peers Who might dish out wrong advice...

Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Spherical77(m): 8:49am On Nov 07, 2021
Richy4:

Based on your question if a parent should encourage their daughters to keep boyfriends, the reality is no parent will encourage that but u and I knows that they will keep boyfriends anyways and lie that they have never spoken to any boy since they were born...

Parents can't monitor their movements 24hrs.. the best any parent would do Will be to encourage their daughters to bring their friends home so that they may know whom they were going out with and do the advice thing...

Being judgemental as a parent puts kids into a very bad situations because they might find themselves in that same situation and they can never confined in any of them.. instead they go to their peers Who might dish out wrong advice...

Yes, you are absolutely right. Majority of them had boyfriend but chose to pretend not until they got caught up right on the act or probably things went south

You know African parents with their style of parenting. Very few fraction of them got the ideology you put up there.

Sincerely if i was these young girls i wouldn't give in for pressure having boyfriend at this age of mine. Boys got nothing to offer than fun, fun and fun

Moreso, girls are always at the receiving end after the whole thing plays out

Those parents assumed provided you ain't lacking finances, love and care from home, attention and whataview. Then they had no business keeping boyfriend if they ain't after sexual intercourse which sometimes lead to pregnancy, STD, heartbreak et al

To cap it up, I'd gladly accept your ideology and hopefully use that on my kids when i get to that stage in life

However, I'd stand on chastity, celibacy for my kids. You have no business indulging in sex when you ain't married
Re: Why Children Don't Tell Adults When They Are Sexually Abused by Richy4(m): 9:33am On Nov 07, 2021
Spherical77:
Yes, you are absolutely right. Majority of them had boyfriend but chose to pretend not until they got caught up right on the act or probably things went south

You know African parents with their style of parenting. Very few fraction of them got the ideology you put up there.

Sincerely if i was these young girls i wouldn't give in for pressure having boyfriend at this age of mine. Boys got nothing to offer than fun, fun and fun

Moreso, girls are always at the receiving end after the whole thing plays out

Those parents assumed provided you ain't lacking finances, love and care from home, attention and whataview. Then they had no business keeping boyfriend if they ain't after sexual intercourse which sometimes lead to pregnancy, STD, heartbreak et al

To cap it up, I'd gladly accept your ideology and hopefully use that on my kids when i get to that stage in life

However, I'd stand on chastity, celibacy for my kids. You have no business indulging in sex when you ain't married

U are correct.. it's just unfortunate that some of the young ones have to make some mistakes before they can learn from it.. it's not all of them that can learn from others mistakes...

If some parents/adults could understand the bitter truth and understand that no matter how much we act like it was not gonna happen , it indeed do happen .. teenagers do keep boyfriends and they should find some way to deal with it without judgement

(1) (Reply)

HELP: My Biological Father Is Always Laying Courses On Me / Help: Fresh Catfish Pepper Soup With Yam During Rainstorm / How Does Empower Life Works Is It A Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.