Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,009 members, 7,835,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? (24162 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Still Buying Dollars / CBN Directs Banks To Accept Deposits Beyond Cashless Policy Limit / How To Accept International Payment For Your Shopify & Woocommerce Stores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Jaqenhghar: 9:01pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:
Nigeria is the only country in the world where a product will jump in price by 50% and sales of that product won't change.

It has made corporations greedy and they milk Nigerians with reckless abandon at the slightest opportunity.

Why can't people just boycott those greedy brands,move to cheaper ones and let it sink in the heads of this corporations that no brand is too big to fail,irrespective of product or distribution network.

As someone that has travelled a lot around Africa,I can boast that Nigeria is the only place where this happens and consumers will show vulnerability and dependency by simply continuing patronage and showing these people that "we don't have a choice".
This is a very wrong message to pass,make una try wise up abeg.

Brand loyalty is a daft thing to do cos you would be taken advantage of by oligarchs.
I drop my pen.

This needs to get to front page let's discuss more on this.
Only inflation? Niggerians accept everything.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by webizone(m): 9:05pm On Nov 05, 2021
Oh so Mr. OP, you want Nigerians to be wasting their time protesting when the root cause of all these problems, the Nigerian setup, has not been addressed.
In a place where there's no justice because people can be oppressed and they cannot get reprieve, you still want to protest?
How many products will you protest?
Today nah bread, tomorrow nah sardine, next tomorrow nah fuel, ah ah.
Where are your government agencies and representatives?
Abeg, since people are not ready to do the right thing, the game is run faster than the last person so that the bear won't eat you. Ok?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by schoolboymatt(m): 9:08pm On Nov 05, 2021
Op your are right. But no matter the inflation of price on golden penny spaghetti, i'd still choose it to any other brand.
I am sorry!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by adanny01(m): 9:08pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:
Nigeria is the only country in the world where a product will jump in price by 50% and sales of that product won't change.

It has made corporations greedy and they milk Nigerians with reckless abandon at the slightest opportunity.

Why can't people just boycott those greedy brands,move to cheaper ones and let it sink in the heads of this corporations that no brand is too big to fail,irrespective of product or distribution network.

As someone that has travelled a lot around Africa,I can boast that Nigeria is the only place where this happens and consumers will show vulnerability and dependency by simply continuing patronage and showing these people that "we don't have a choice".

Brand loyalty is a daft thing to do cos you would be taken advantage of by oligarchs.
I drop my pen.

I recently went to a shop to buy a shoe, I negotiated a shoe for 18k but had just 30k in my acc. I was expecting a credit that day or next so i didnt want to empty my acc. So i told the shop keeper i will pick it up the next day.

When I came back, he claimed, someone wanted the shoe in different size so he called his supplier who told him the cost price is now 20k. So the guy refused to sell the shoe to me at 18k as agreed but the price is now 21k.

My question to him was, if i picked the shoe yesterday, his profit (1k) is still there since he bought the shoe for 17k. His counter argument is that, if he gives me at 18k, he will no longer have the capital to replace the same shoe he sold. If he does same with everything he has in his shop, his business capital will go down even when he is making profit. So to keep his capital steady, he has to sell at the current price even if his stock is old.

This is the same situation obtainable when petroleum marketers hoard products leading to scarcity and long queues.

Same situation i got during the COVID19 lockdown last year. I bought a bag of Lactorich milk for 45k at the end of the month, there were over a 100bags of the milk in the ware house. Came back next month end and it sold for 55k while it was same stock. Same excuse by the seller.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Jacku: 9:12pm On Nov 05, 2021
Forget all these sad news and focus on what will make you happy.

Thinking about the Golden morn promotion is enough to be happy sef. Check it out below jor

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Philadelphia: 9:12pm On Nov 05, 2021
Nigerians are used to hardship, pain and struggling.
This is why they see easy ways as unrealistic.
Think of what it takes to write and pass WAEC, JAMB and get admitted into a school legitimately, then pass through university.
Think about NYSC then the struggle to get a job that pays 50k monthly.
Think of the way the government treat Nigerians.
The list is endless.
So, the average Nigerian has gotten used to suffering that it has become normal.

Fella sang in one of his songs: suffering and smiling”… that’s just the sad case of Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Babysho(m): 9:14pm On Nov 05, 2021
Vinnie2000:

Simply because we will conduct our own 'Inflation' later.. sad cheesy
You increase the Price of Flour, I increase Price of my bread..
You increase Tomato price, I increase Price of my Stew rice..
You increase condom price, I increase my Towtow price.. lipsrsealed

You realise govt not increasing salaries so..
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by ezewealth(m): 9:14pm On Nov 05, 2021
franchasng:
it is because years and decades of consecutive bad Presidents and Governors have destroyed Nigeria so bad that Nigerians have come to accept evil as normal and anybody resisting evil as a mad person.

Years of bad governance have destroyed the psych of majority of Nigerians, they have come to have this natural belief that things can only get worst in Nigeria, so no matter how bad things become, Nigerians accept it cheerfully and take as natural.

Decades of corrupt government have made Nigerians to believe that they don't have any other choice but to accept whatever the society throws at them, so everybody tries to hike the price of whatever he or she is selling as a way of recovering whatever he lost from buying other commodities.

Another reason is the religion factor. Prosperity preachers have changed the mentality of Nigerians so bad, they only focus on miracle wealth so they can afford anything no matter the price as preachers have made them to believe that's the sign of being righteous.

Don't complain, a born again ought not to complain but respect the leaders and pray for blessings

Aptly written!!, if u are a Lady I can to marry u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Ogaonos: 9:16pm On Nov 05, 2021
HeadNigga:
Blame the government for inflation not corporations. So if the cost of raw materials/production skyrockets you expect a company not to review it's price upwards?

Your argument will only be valid if we know for sure that there isn't general inflation and a company just changes the price of it's product...but as it is in Nigeria, we all know there is general inflation as a result of the forex rate coz we are import dependent.
but why garri come dey expensive we no dey import am.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by ezewealth(m): 9:18pm On Nov 05, 2021
tomietush:
Try crown. Thou d price diff no plenty
That one don skyrocket o,
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by OneKinGuy(m): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2021
If they boycott products, How will they feed their selves and family??
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by alphaNomega: 9:22pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:

I drop my pen.

Forget whatever you read about economics while in school, in the streets of Nigeria it's a different ball game.

E.g. Whether price of crude oil goes up or down, there is always an increase in the cost of goods and services nationwide

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by RodgersAkpafu: 9:22pm On Nov 05, 2021
franchasng:
it is because years and decades of consecutive bad Presidents and Governors have destroyed Nigeria so bad that Nigerians have come to accept evil as normal and anybody resisting evil as a mad person.

Years of bad governance have destroyed the psych of majority of Nigerians, they have come to have this natural belief that things can only get worst in Nigeria, so no matter how bad things become, Nigerians accept it cheerfully and take as natural.

Decades of corrupt government have made Nigerians to believe that they don't have any other choice but to accept whatever the society throws at them, so everybody tries to hike the price of whatever he or she is selling as a way of recovering whatever he lost from buying other commodities.

Another reason is the religion factor. Prosperity preachers have changed the mentality of Nigerians so bad, they only focus on miracle wealth so they can afford anything no matter the price as preachers have made them to believe that's the sign of being righteous.

Don't complain, a born again ought not to complain but respect the leaders and pray for blessings
You nailed ir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 9:23pm On Nov 05, 2021
I stopped buying soft drinks after they increased it.

Nigerians, we believe we have no choice and where are the cheaper alternatives?

The government really is less concerned and this breaks my heart.

But in cases where one could boycott a bus due to high fare, one Judas will surely enter the bus.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Pascopele: 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
Rule 1 Never save in Naira
Rule 2 Save 7% of your networth in crypto
Rule 3 join other crypto enthusiast on telegram m y c r y p t o n g
Rule 4 Don't forget rule 1-3
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by RodgersAkpafu: 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
FisifunKododada:
It is because of the 2 stupid religions, Christianity and Islam. The gullible followers of these religions are taught that no matter the level of inflation their sky-daddy will keep them fed. Some of them even turn hunger to fasting and prayer. These two religions have turned Nigerians into zombies.
You have a point

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:

I drop my pen.

I think it's because most countries you have travelled to have the credit system that allows purchasing power to try different products. No one would accumulate debt on products they can get cheaper... but because one has to pay full cash, its normal to want to go for the acclaimed best because you have earned it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Ogaonos: 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
The reason why I think inflation dey apart from Forex is increase in fuel price ,govt nt subsidizing fertilizer,animal vaccine ,agric trade unions.and u knw we over here dnt seek solution to problems like white for example if u are a big fast food or company DT use cooking gas to cook Ur product switch to bio gas.real estate companies can adopt tiny homes invented by Japanese to sell cheaper homes.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by wyqay: 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
Major problem is that Nigerians are always in haste

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:
It is very bad and terrible out here honestly,price hike across a value chain and people keep patronising like nothing happened.
It is making me think that Nigerians are not as poor as they claim,they just want to play pity party.

The problem is that, we don't have much startup or small business who can produce and sell at lower market price.

But somehow, we are able to achieve something similar with our tomatoes paste products. While the major brands are selling between 100-120, we get our own to sell for 80 naira, and in term of quantity, what we put in the sachet is much more than that of the major brands.

If we can have small businesses doing similar in other fields or market, price inflation will be hard due to market competition. And you SME controls the local market

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by SeaTrade(m): 9:34pm On Nov 05, 2021
FreelanceRebel:

The problem is that, we don't have much startup or small business who can produce and sell at lower market price.

But somehow, we are able to achieve something similar with our tomatoes paste products. While the major brands are selling between 100-120, we get our own to sell for 80 naira, and in term of quantity, what we put in the sachet is much more than that of the major brands.

If we can have small businesses doing similar in other fields or market, price inflation will be hard due to market competition. And you SME controls the local market
There are a lot of alternatives,people just don't buy them.
Whoever is saying that alternatives aren't there isn't being honest or market savvy.
Except for some select services and products like transport,energy,etc,most consumables have lots of cheaper alternatives in the markets that Nigerians are very adamant on not buying even though they're cheaper.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Polynek(m): 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2021
The rich won't complain much.
The average and poor people suffers most

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by naylor(f): 9:46pm On Nov 05, 2021
It's a very sad situation.
Like what most people have said, I don't buy certain products cos of this.
It's painful really cos salaries remain the same in the midst of all these.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by snoopz: 9:49pm On Nov 05, 2021
We get choice? No get government wey dey listen we get o
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by NSK4U(m): 9:51pm On Nov 05, 2021
People actually have no choice. If the poor is not buying, the rich and wealthy are still going to patronize.

It then falls on government and her agencies to regulate the price of commodities to commensurate their production cost.

But as a seller, you sell your market after calculating the expenses that went into it; transport, security, etc
Nobody opens shop/business for charity!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by higgs: 9:52pm On Nov 05, 2021
Sometimes businesses increase price out of necessity and not greed. It is either You increase price or sell below cost price and eventually run out of cash.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Caboceer: 9:54pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:

I drop my pen.

Your drinks nko, are you selling at the same prices pre- and post-covid?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by TemmyT002(m): 9:58pm On Nov 05, 2021
It's greed and being docile.
Greed: As things become costlier, greedy traders see it as opportunity to increase their Own too.
Docile: People don't know how to stop it so they have no choice than to accept it.

Oh, also, we are not cooperative.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by berbs: 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:
Yes.
At the slightest sign of scarcity,
Market people now inflate prices most times by 60% and sheeples will still buy,
I tire for this people.

If it's something that you need like foodstuff, would you not buy it?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by Kacism(m): 10:04pm On Nov 05, 2021
Truly, some products needs to be boycotted I swear. The number one is Titus sardine. That company has been toiling with our feelings for a long time. Titus is the only product u will buy and not know what u are getting whether it's two fish, three fish or one fish with plenty oil inside.

Now they have reduced the number of fish inside yet the price is still on the high side. Na God go punish them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Quick To Accept Inflation? by peterious10(m): 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2021
SeaTrade:

I drop my pen.

The problem we are facing is lack of focus or a missed priority from the government...

* Insecurity caused the hike in food prices, Govt failed to provide security before infrastructures...spending trillions of naira on infrastructures without putting security of lives and properties in place is like pouring water in a basket.

* Come to think of it... Most lands that were supposed to be used for family farming has been sold and bought by these land sellers agencies and no available land to farm again... Those guys keep doing monthly promos on land selling,,, something which northern people can never do. They cherish their farm lands dan anything else but here all our people wan become landlords.

* Apart from insecurity, North is doing well with food.
* SE can still survive cos most of them still farm till date...
* Farming in SW is going down the drain.. It has now become a sole responsibility of northerners bringing food down to us. Tell me why there won't be hike in prices of food produce.

You can only boycott a product that you have a full control to it ursef...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oil price rises as uncertainty over Nigeria elections, Venezuela tension mounts / Naira Inches Towards 1000 Naira To A Dollar / GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.