Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking (24171 Views)

Man Strips Unclad Inside Gtbank As His Money Vanished From His Account (video) / TSA Freezes Interbank Market, Bank Transactions FROZEN!! / GTBank's Internet Banking Services...totally OVER-HYPED! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by ifyalways(f): 10:15am On Dec 28, 2013
Recently,I was at ajose adeogun branch of GTB for a western union transaction. I was shocked when the lady at the counter said " we don't do WU transactions over the counter anymore,you can only receive your WU via internet banking"
I thought it was a joke or something but she was serious. Long story short,I had to use another bank where I operate a savings account to get my WU.

My questions/worries now:
Why would GTB insist and indirectly enforce its customers to activate "internet banking" for WU transactions ? I personally don't do internet banking and I'm sure there are others like me.
Besides,GTB unlike other banks insist on operating a current account with them before one can access WU so why include Internet banking?

Why should I use internet banking to access WU? And if you've used it,how was the process? What's new,any advantage?

4 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by eluquenson(m): 10:48am On Dec 28, 2013
GTbank & their wahala, I can only have savings acct with them, that's all.
internet banking is a good idea & go for it if you so desire to bank with them.
Overrated bank undecided

4 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by mcevans1(m): 11:08am On Dec 28, 2013
eluquenson: GTbank & their wahala, I can only have savings acct with them, that's all.
Overrated bank undecided

True talk angry

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by ruemu(m): 11:09am On Dec 28, 2013
truely overrated.. my 1 cent
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by OAM4J: 11:09am On Dec 28, 2013
My dear upgrade to internet banking. Dont be afraid of someone stealing your money. To me it makes things even simpler and easier. Also saves you the stress of leaving home and queing at the bank for hours.

16 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Raymondfayowole(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2013
If i may ask wat is western union

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by timilehyin01(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2013
Story story...u sef move wit th tide naa abi...we r in d 21st century.just activate ur internet banking en domicilary account en cashless policy is made easy..

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 28, 2013
@op, I don't see anything wrong in their action afterall, they are abiding to instructions from cbn!
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Fazhy: 11:13am On Dec 28, 2013
WHY NOW
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Youngzedd(m): 11:13am On Dec 28, 2013
They know their reasons.

But on a serious note, hence you know how to use Nairaland, you should apply for internet banking.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by israel007: 11:14am On Dec 28, 2013
Ok
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 28, 2013
Receiving western union via Internet banking is easier sef. grin

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Youngzedd(m): 11:15am On Dec 28, 2013
OAM4J: My dear upgrade to internet banking. Dont be afraid of someone stealing your money. To me it makes things even simpler and easier. Also saves you the stress of leaving home and queing at the bank for hours.

Na your papa born you.

+99

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by omanifrank(m): 11:15am On Dec 28, 2013
kkk
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 28, 2013
Only in Nigeria people are forced to do,or use things why force internet banking on people,when they don't actually want it. Make our internet efficient,and effective,naturally the public will embrace it.

8 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Olugbenger(m): 11:20am On Dec 28, 2013
GTB is turning something else, these days. undecided

3 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by AreaFada2: 11:20am On Dec 28, 2013
Except the money is not coming from abroad, if it is WU has an abysmal exchange rate.

E.g. WU 251 naira plus to a Pound sterling against 272 to 274 Naira with other MT services.

Use other MT if possible especially now that WU doesn't enable you get hard currency paid out.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Osama10(m): 11:25am On Dec 28, 2013
I think there is a word like Free Will.

3 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by FreeGlobe(f): 11:29am On Dec 28, 2013
Yomieluv: Only in Nigeria people are forced to do,or use things why force internet banking on people,when they don't actually want it. Make our internet efficient,and effective,naturally the public will embrace it.
Exactly. I think GTB is not serious with their Western Union operations. why not just cancel it. This policy should be optional. majority of Nigerians don't really trust internet banking and the adequate infrastructure is not yet there. I remember the last time I used their WU, they were asking all sorts of questions. Despite providing my intl passport, they asked for my domicially acct details etc which just pissed me off. Ve since ported to First bank for my WU transactions

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Mamacita007(f): 11:32am On Dec 28, 2013
Internet banking is good but that doesn't mean they should stop over the counter transactions too. its not by force
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Trottle: 11:33am On Dec 28, 2013
Olugbenger: GTB is turning something else, these days. undecided
Very true! I opened a savings acct with them for almost 2weeks but up till now, I have not recieved any SMS alert of my new account. sad angry angry .
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Chaleeee: 11:34am On Dec 28, 2013
to activate GT bank Internet banking, you will be charged N2,250 for admin charges and token. So you see GTB is trying to look for ways to force their products down our throat. For the WU, you will need to open a domicilliary account to be linked to your normal account and you can see this in their Internet banking inter phase. The minimum balance for this dom acct is $100
GTB is bent on extorting us. Though I use the service and it's fast, I still think they shd make the dom acct a $0.00 as minimum balance

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by bigtt76(f): 11:35am On Dec 28, 2013
I think its been the case since Western Union and Interswitch signed a pact. You redeem your WU through your bank using the Quickteller platform and not Internet Banking ...don't know sha but I've done it through Quickteller before.
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by ironheart(m): 11:38am On Dec 28, 2013
I dont use GTB, but am happy to hear that they said u should collect it via internet banking. Banks no longer pays in naira, i went to UBA, i almost lost 8.67 naira becos no coins. So i said they should pay all in to my savings acount. Imagine they collect 8.67 naira from 1000 customers? Thats amount to 8670 naira. Na beans? Babe with internet banking u are safe. Where u collected the money, did they pay you the kobo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by INFOTECH2: 11:42am On Dec 28, 2013
eluquenson: GTbank & their wahala, I can only have savings acct with them, that's all.
internet banking is a good idea & go for it if you so desire to bank with them.
Overrated bank undecided

OVERRATED Did I just read that? Please this bank is not overated @ all. They do have their faults and wahala but they, like zenith, FBN, etc are peers and doing as fine as they could.

Even though most of them milk us through different charges but GTB is not overatted. Abeg

3 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by LoveDecay(m): 11:42am On Dec 28, 2013
Chaleeee: to activate GT bank Internet banking, you will be charged N2,250 for admin charges and token. So you see GTB is trying to look for ways to force their products down our throat. For the WU, you will need to open a domicilliary account to be linked to your normal account and you can see this in their Internet banking inter phase. The minimum balance for this dom acct is $100
GTB is bent on extorting us. Though I use the service and it's fast, I still think they shd make the dom acct a $0.00 as minimum balance

The dorm account is a zero minimum balance account, the 100 bucks is a simple measure, just to see if you can afford the services. You can withdraw, the 100 bucks whenever you want its your money.

Internet banking is the best thing for now, you can keep a strong track of your transactions.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by guardian09(m): 11:47am On Dec 28, 2013
Chaleeee: to activate GT bank Internet banking, you will be charged N2,250 for admin charges and token. So you see GTB is trying to look for ways to force their products down our throat. For the WU, you will need to open a domicilliary account to be linked to your normal account and you can see this in their Internet banking inter phase. The minimum balance for this dom acct is $100
I opened all my dorm accounts pounds and dollars with zero balance, and all my accounts were opened within 48 hours calabar branch

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 28, 2013
Reason best known to the bank
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by ifyalways(f): 11:51am On Dec 28, 2013
So far,I'm yet to see the "why" I should do internet banking for WU.

@OAM4J, its easy for you to stay at US and quote that internet banking "is safe and the best" . I've had a sour and bitter experience with internet banking. Needless to say,I never recovered the money so internet banking is definitely a NO-NO for me. Btw,I am not complaining about the queue et all,I have all the time.

Why should this be mandatory? That's the point !
Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by sheymoni(m): 11:53am On Dec 28, 2013
Go get urself a First bank account. It's the best when it comes to western union

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking by dopedealer(m): 11:54am On Dec 28, 2013
Do internet banking and stand the chance of been a victim of internet fraud.
Nija Ninjaz are watching #

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

First Bank Main Market Onitsha On Fire (Live Pictures) / China Coronavirus: Apple Temporarily Closes All 42 Stores In China / How To Remove Post No Debit Restrictions On Your Bank Account.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.