Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,065 members, 7,814,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? (827 Views)

RECORD BREAKER! Gareth Barry,first Player To Collect 100 Yellow Cards In England / Keshi Cleared By FIFA Over Racist Comments / Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by doyin13(m): 3:57pm On Jul 25, 2007
I just think that the whole Barry Bonds thing just highlights the hypocrisy of American sports.

They have suggested putting an asterisk besides his record when he breaks the home run record.

But they seem to forget that if he did take drugs it was never illegal and it was common amongst all the players.
And I want someone to tell me whether on a level playing field Bond would still not be the top slugger in the Majors.

And the hallowed Babe Ruth- I wonder if they ever considered putting an asterisk to his record as he never played against the great players of the Negro Leagues.

I say white ppl are scandalous
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by k0be: 7:48pm On Jul 25, 2007
barry is guilty until proven innocent grin.
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by BlackMamba(m): 8:09pm On Jul 27, 2007
The dominant white culture has a way of sticking it to minorities especially blacks if they see an opportunity. The white reaction obviously has racial undertone, even if there are legitimate concerns about Barry's use of the "Clear" and "Cream".

Same thing can be attributed to the white reaction to Vick's bone-headed relationship to dog breeding that has led to the ugly incident of animal abuse.

The racism often comes out in not giving this guys the benefit of doubt in the face of troubling allegations that are somehow related to them.

Lance Armstrong was accused of doping. He got the benefit of doubt and has pretty much escaped unscathed. Although not much concrete evidence surfaced to support the claim. May be the controlling white culture didn't find it necessary to dig as deep as they would have, had he been black.
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by doyin13(m): 8:35pm On Jul 27, 2007
Exactly. Remember it was when Bonds started getting close to especially Babe Ruth's record that these allegations gained serious credit.

WHen Mark Mcgwire was setting the single season record no one dey talk anything o.

By the way don't u think its simply unjust that its not Ken Griffey that is chasing this record.

With a pure swing like that, it would have been well deserved.
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by BlackMamba(m): 2:15am On Jul 28, 2007
Jr. would've been easier for them to accept. Non-threatening attitude, sweet swing and ever sweet smile. Unfortunately, after so many injuries we'll never find out. Barry never gave a damn about nobody from day one and that really pisses them off. A-Rod is now been promoted to surpass Barry. I don't mind A-Money surpassing Barry as long as he remains a Bronx Bomber.
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by k0be: 3:06am On Jul 28, 2007
I agree that it's totally unfair.

On another note, we all know Barry used the clear and the creamflaxseed oil.
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by doyin13(m): 9:42am On Jul 28, 2007
i know i am hating, but i no like A-Rod at all

But since it is a Hispanic sport now, guess it is only right
Re: Is The Barry Bonds Saga Racist? by pplus: 3:57pm On Jul 30, 2007
Larry King recently said that Bonds is the best baseball player alive, dats all i need to hear from an influential white man

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Liverpool On 2nd, 5th, & 8th.what Will It Look Like? / Hitv Wins 2009/2010 Uefa Champions League Broadcast Right For Nigeria / Totti Exclusive: Aquilani Can Be World's Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.