Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market (42357 Views)

Cars On The Street - A Lagos Car Street Photography Album | LensAndLagos / 4 Friends Killed In Ikotun Lagos Car Accident While Coming From Night Club[photo / Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Akpaife(m): 11:08pm On Jul 16, 2012
cotonu car is better dan nig own
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Kockane(m): 11:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
wesley80: What a senseless and uncouth fellow you are. If you disagree with him why not just say so like a decent human? why ask him to "shut up" for being patriotic and putting across his view?
You cld buy a car wiv all the faults in the world from a naija man and ignore a cotonou man offering you d cleanest, smoothest ride you've ever laid ur eyes on, perfect engine, etc both @ d same price, afterall, ur supporting the nation's economy, innit? Slowpoke. undecided

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Emperoh(m): 11:16pm On Jul 16, 2012
This knotty issue again!
But it will keep popping up, since people are not yet so informed as to what to do and where to look for what you want.
But i will, to the best of my ability, address this issue as i understand it.

Most people who will say Cotonou is better are those whose businesses are serviced from that end.
Hence, they might not reveal all the attendant factors to you. But it is always better to be in the right light and present issues as they are.
It is just like me telling you that direct import from Yankee is your best bet since that is where i feed from.
But the final decision lies with the buyer. What we owe them as dealers, is to present them with the true and exact picture.
I feel more satisfied laying my chips on the table and the buyer walking away cos it doesn't favour him, than carry the burden of
managing series of lies that you have told all in a big to win the business.

I will summarise what these two purchase avenues offer you.
Cotonou gives you an array of options to choose from. From the clean title to the downright ridiculous lemons, they all have it all.
The market is a case of shine your eyes and shine it well because once your money enters their hands, that is the end of it. If the car is sound, your luck
if it is not sound, na you sabi. All i know is that you have paid and there is no going back.
The Cotonou auto mart is very very large! Almost the size of Festac in Lagos. U will need the services of a motor bike to able to criss cross
its length and breadth. As big as it is, so are the choices you have. But like the proverbial lizards that are on their belly, you can never differentiate the one with belly ache.

On the cost aspect, Cotonou is only cheaper than Lagos because, they will NEVER pay a duty on the import. That is to say, they smuggle in the cars,
then go and conjure some customs documents for you at a cheap fee.
Reason: the moment duty is paid on it, the price is no better than the direct American imports found in Lagos. This is why, some of them run into trouble or why some of the dealers going through that route can be insincere. But be mindful that there are sincere and honest ones as well. But do not expect that duty is paid on any vehicle brought in from Cotonou, unless you are willing to pay the price as stated. Even in cases like this, they still pocket the money. So shine your eyes.
Advantages:
Wide array of choices to buy from
Often times cheap and reasonable prices
A good dealer will help you get a good deal and nice, neat car.

Disadvantages
Poor customer service. The moment you pay, that is the end of it. No refund of money.
No customs duty is paid on the unit making your car susceptible to being impounded by Customs
Insincere middlemen can ruin your transaction or sell you a bad car.
Smuggling will mean that there is no fixed arrival time for your car
Logistics can be very cumbersome and risky atimes.
It's a risky journey up until your car lands. But MOST dealers who know their onions scale through almost every time.

Verdict: If you can stand the troubles, go with a dealer who knows the business well and is open, straight forward and honest and i assure you, you will have a nice shopping experience. Above all, pray to pay for the right car.

Berger
In all honesty, Berger can be a nightmare and a wonderful experience as well.
But one thing to look out for is the fact that most Berger dealers source their cars from Cotonou
While a good number of others are accidented cars from USA or Europe. It is a large market but i reckon it is also an expensive place to buy a car from.
They had a reputation of stocking stolen cars and i wouldn't know if this is still the case. Their sales people can sell you a lemon as brand new so watch out.
Personally, i will only buy at Berger as a last resort. Other car lots in Lagos offer much better options. But one major advantage of Berger is that most high end cars are decent buys. Where you have issues is when buying low end cars. Touts can also be a nightmare there so beware.

Advantages
Gives you the luxury of pay and drive off. No awaiting arrivals and endless stories
High end cars are pretty much ok to buy there.
A wide array of options to choose from though not as big as Cotonou
Strategic location makes it easier to locate and assess.

Disadvantages
Touts can be a nightmare.
If you can find your way around Cotonou, why go to Berger? Most of them source their cars from Cotonou
A bad reputation of stolen cars and other auto vending vices
The most expensive auto centre known to me. This is in the sense that they can sell you a lemon at the price of a clean, decent, accident free vehicle.
Insincerity of sellers abound.
Almost no refund when you have paid.

Verdict
Only go to Berger on two grounds. When you have searched and can't find the car in other auto outlets and
if you have a trusted ally in Berger. That's the only way to avoid the sharks there.

On a general note, buying a car is not an activity you can pull off from your desk especially if you are not so much into cars.
Extensive desk research should keep you informed on the various variables that affect the quality and price of car you buy.
If you can wait, look for a trusted dealer or ally to help you import your cars from USA or Europe or go to Ikorodu Road. Most dealers there still stock
decent, accident free cars but at a price that will sound almost ridiculous. But that's quality speaking.

Cars are not that cheap unless you are buying an 'accidented' or high mileage car.

God bless us all!

12 Likes

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by pneumaticos(m): 11:17pm On Jul 16, 2012
Koke i gues ur foolishnes has just begun grin
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Kockane(m): 11:20pm On Jul 16, 2012
pneumaticos: Koke i gues ur foolishnes has just begun grin
No mind me broda, I no dey like make pesn find my trouble for this nairaland. grin
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by pneumaticos(m): 11:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
Oya make everybody comot for dis thread e don do
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by hardey11: 11:44pm On Jul 16, 2012
[quote author=biyi willy]lagos cars are mostly accident cars when shipped to Berger but you can trust cotonou cars always not in my life will i ever buy cars from bergaer again because the last one i bought na regret i regret am o. [/quote

My Brother How are you so sure your Cotonou car is not Accident Car either?? Else a non-accident car can never be cheaper than ur typically Salvage Car from the U.S. By the way if you know the VIN # of any car u can pretty much do an online check on it before buying to confirm its history. Finally, since you so much detest your own people (at least business wise) where next would you go when Autocheck confirms to you that ur Cotonou or Togo deal is not all that hype?. Lets look in the Mirror, and besides for anything of need their is gotta be that..or some Nijja dealers that meets the need. Again we are all we got
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by thomasjohn: 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
Emperoh: This knotty issue again!
But it will keep popping up, since people are not yet so informed as to what to do and where to look for what you want.

Most people who will say Cotonou is better are those whose businesses are serviced from that end.
Hence, they might not reveal all the attendant factors to you. But it is always better to be in the right light and present issues as they are.
It is just like me telling you that direct import from Yankee is your best bet since that is where i feed from.
But the final decision lies with the buyer. What we owe them as dealers, is to present them with the true and exact picture.
I feel more satisfied laying my chips on the table and the buyer walking away cos it doesn't favour him, than carry the burden of

Cotonou gives you an array of options to choose from. From the clean title to the downright ridiculous lemons, they all have it all.
The market is a case of shine your eyes and shine it well because once your money enters their hands, that is the end of it. If the car is sound, your luck
if it is not sound, na you sabi. All i know is that you have paid and there is no going back.
The Cotonou auto mart is very very large! Almost the size of Festac in Lagos. U will need the services of a motor bike to able to criss cross
its length and breadth. As big as it is, so are the choices you have. But like the proverbial lizards that are on their belly, you can never differentiate the one with belly ache.

On the cost aspect, Cotonou is only cheaper than Lagos because, they will NEVER pay a duty on the import. That is to say, they smuggle in the cars,
Reason: the moment duty is paid on it, the price is no better than the direct American imports found in Lagos. This is why, some of them run into trouble or why some of the dealers going through that route can be insincere. But be mindful that there are sincere and honest ones as well. But do not expect that duty is paid on any vehicle brought in from Cotonou, unless you are willing to pay the price as stated. Even in cases like this, they still pocket the money. So shine your eyes.
Advantages:

Disadvantages
Poor customer service. The moment you pay, that is the end of it. No refund of money.
No customs duty is paid on the unit making your car susceptible to being impounded by Customs
It's a risky journey up until your car lands. But MOST dealers who know their onions scale through almost every time.

Verdict: If you can stand the troubles, go with a dealer who knows the business well and is open, straight forward and honest and i assure you, you will have a nice shopping experience. Above all, pray to pay for the right car.

Berger
But one thing to look out for is the fact that most Berger dealers source their cars from Cotonou
While a good number of others are accidented cars from USA or Europe. It is a large market but i reckon it is also an expensive place to buy a car from.
They had a reputation of stocking stolen cars and i wouldn't know if this is still the case. Their sales people can sell you a lemon as brand new so watch out.
Personally, i will only buy at Berger as a last resort. Other car lots in Lagos offer much better options. But one major advantage of Berger is that most high end cars are decent buys. Where you have issues is when buying low end cars. Touts can also be a nightmare there so beware.

Advantages
Gives you the luxury of pay and drive off. No awaiting arrivals and endless stories

Disadvantages
If you can find your way around Cotonou, why go to Berger? Most of them source their cars from Cotonou
The most expensive auto centre known to me. This is in the sense that they can sell you a lemon at the price of a clean, decent, accident free vehicle.

Verdict
Only go to Berger on two grounds. When you have searched and can't find the car in other auto outlets and
if you have a trusted ally in Berger. That's the only way to avoid the sharks there.

On a general note, buying a car is not an activity you can pull off from your desk especially if you are not so much into cars.
Extensive desk research should keep you informed on the various variables that affect the quality and price of car you buy.
If you can wait, look for a trusted dealer or ally to help you import your cars from USA or Europe or go to Ikorodu Road. Most dealers there still stock
decent, accident free cars but at a price that will sound almost ridiculous. But that's quality speaking.

Cars are not that cheap unless you are buying an 'accidented' or high mileage car.

God bless us all!

@ Emperoh

thank you very much for all these, very insightful.
but pls i need further info.

i'm just so in luv with Peugeot 406 and wanted getting one, saw some here but almost all that i saw were converted from RHD to LHD, i have made up my mind not to buy a converted car no matter how gud it was done. The LHD i came across are not clean nd sound enough.
so i intend going to Cotonou soon but pls help me with answers to the following questions:
1. Is it possible for me to get a clean,sound LHD 406 EW10 engine over there?
2. What is the max age of cars to be imported into Naija, does a 2002 or 2003 406 fall withing the legal limit?
3. I intend to do everything the legal way and will not smuggle the car,but how do i ensure that the agent i'm using will not smuggle it?
4. How much will it cost me for custom duty of a 2002 or 2003 Peugeot 406 at the Nigerian border?

Pls i will be greatful if you provide me answers to the above questions and any further advise you can also offer.
thankx
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by ashybabs(m): 12:02am On Jul 17, 2012
@ freddie yankee, inbox ur number to ashybabs2@yahoo.com
we cud do business, nd ur email to wud be fine
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Freddieyankee(m): 1:11am On Jul 17, 2012
[quote author=ashybabs]@ freddie yankee, inbox ur number to ashybabs2@yahoo.com
we cud do business, nd ur email to wud be nice

I tried writing you bro but for some reasons it wasnt going through
Here is my email orjifredricks@yahoo.com pls feel free to write me anytime and I will inbox you my number
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Freddieyankee(m): 1:17am On Jul 17, 2012
ashybabs: @ freddie yankee, inbox ur number to ashybabs2@yahoo.com
we cud do business, nd ur email to wud be fine

I tried writing you bro but for some reasons it wasnt going through
Here is my email orjifredricks@yahoo.com pls feel free to write me anytime and I will inbox you my number
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by PaulJohn1: 2:03am On Jul 17, 2012
mtamu: @Femmy2010
Are you saying that most sellers at Berger buy from cotonou??
Any Lagos based sellers in the house lets hear what you have to say
@ larryshow4
Are you saying that berger has limted options for one to choose or am i getting you wrong?
I think we need comments from both berger sellers and others outside berger

My man that's a pure lie. Have you ever heard of ELIZADE in Lagos? He his the major dealer of branded toyota cars in Nigeria, the company is also the one that recommends the modification of branded toyota cars that are to be imported into the country. And I have never heard that he bought the cars from cotonou, but are shipped into the country directly from the atlantic.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Ndata(m): 2:10am On Jul 17, 2012
@Emperoh Is it possible after buying a vehicle in Cotonou to drive it yourself down to Naija and pay the custom duty by yourself at the border?
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by KINGwax(m): 3:46am On Jul 17, 2012
Nice topic, informative and educative. But the OP got u all cracking cos mtamu, d OP = femmy2010, the car dealer. I bet lotta u have his numbers now, or his BBpin. Nice one!
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by druid06(m): 5:45am On Jul 17, 2012
Let me give you my own point of view op since I'm into the business and I base in Cotonou. Generally speaking most people who sell at berger buy from Cotonou. I have one berger dealer who comes here and order close to 15-20 accident/flooded cars. He buys them very cheap. He flies them to Lagos ( Meaning he doesn't pay duty ) and when the cars gets to lagos he changes some essential parts of the cars like the doors and the damaged parts then he paints them, does a very neat job too. He then services the engine and make them a okay so unsuspecting customers wouldn't know they are buying damaged cars. Flooded cars are hard to notice to novice. He then does a fake duty and tells the customer the car is dutied and working in perfect condition. Most people get deceived by this because let's say the original cost of the car in Cotonou is 800K, he would make his own either a little higer like 810K or lower like 700K or 750K so people would think about the stress of going to Cotonou and buying that same car.

If you want to get good tokunbo cars, I advice you to come to Cotonou yourself, view the exact specs you want and if it is to your taste and price range, get it. Berger's flooded with damamged vehicles.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by druid06(m): 5:50am On Jul 17, 2012
Ndata: @Emperoh Is it possible after buying a vehicle in Cotonou to drive it yourself down to Naija and pay the custom duty by yourself at the border?

It's impossible. After buying a car from a dealer in Cotonou, you pay for it to be cleared in Cotonou. The people in Cotonou who cleared the vehicle for you would then drive it to a secured park in Seme boarder. When it gets there, your agent would retrieve and take it to the custom quaters where it would be dutied. Usually take less than 3hrs if you're working with a good agent or up to 24hrs if you're dealing with a lazy agent. When that is done, you could retrieve your vehicle and drive home. You can also do the duty yourself, it's not streinous at all.

2 Likes

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by MOBBDEEP: 7:04am On Jul 17, 2012
Emperoh: This knotty issue again!

Advantages:

Disadvantages

Berger

Advantages

Disadvantages

Verdict

God bless us all!

Kudos to you.
I'm always awed & humbled when I hear the knowledgeables talk. Yours indeed was a well-reasoned info.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by helphelp: 8:22am On Jul 17, 2012
ikakahu: people should stop telling lies in order to get customers/clients.It was all about about this 48 hrs(2 days) period of car delivery that made me venture into such a deal.After 1 wk and 2 days,I ve not yet got my delivery although the biz was not done with the poster but with another dealer who also promised that I will get the car under 48 hrs.My anger here is even if its going to take a month,tell your customer the truth.The most annoying part is that all the gist the guy told me about buying a car in cotonou were all false ranging from prizes to duration of delivery.When you get there,it ll be another story again.From stories to stories.You may even find out that you ve spent more what you would have bought the car in lagos although my main concern was to choose from varieties and not cost cos of my high taste(not by my making) BUT I MUST SAY THE TRUTH THAT I EVEN BOUGHT THE CAR MORE EXPENSIVE THAN I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT IN LAGOS.I ve vowed never to venture into such a deal again as next time I ve it in my to get another car,I will simply walk into car shop here in naija .Its only good for those that want to smuggle their cars to nigeria but if you want to pay full duty,my brother,my sister,buy it here in naija or even look for a reliable friend or relation that will buy it for you in U.S.
lest I forget,They told me that cotonou people don t work their cars,that they sell it as it comes but that's a clear lie which I confirmed by my self.They have workshops where they work accident cars and some of these workshops are even within the auto sales yard.I tell you,it was a bitter experience and a case of misinformation and I believe that most people must have experienced this as well.Even when I told two of my friends about this,they equally told me that they had such an ugly experience too,that if i had told them that I was going to cotonou to buy the car,that they would have discouraged me.I don t have time because of my busy schedule but I promised my self that I am going to put a write up as regards this.PLS IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAD A DECENT DEAL IN COTONOU,COME AND SHARE IT HERE BUT IF YOU THAT YOU HAD AN UGLY ONE,ALSO EDUCATE OTHERS SO THAT THEY DON T MAKE MISTAKES.

One more important advice,never change a huge sum of amount when going.You can change like 20K so that when you ve have seen by yourself and confirmed that all they told you were lies,you can kindly come back to naija and chang your money to naira and you won t loose so much money.I was cajoled into changing over a million naira and when I saw the truth,I notice that changing the money back would result to more losses and what if being robbed on the way?So that was a serious challenge to me too as I had no option than to buy there.

I am not here to ridicule any body's bussiness but just the sincere truth and experience is what am sharing with you because if you are not well informed,you will be deformed and you know what that means.ALWAYS BE TRUTHFUL!!!

Got my car from cotonou...The only ill-experience i got was the fact that I spent way more on getting it...Although my car got to Naija in just 2days...Was very hard to clear the thought off my head.

From experience, i think i will still go to cotonou to get cars, basically because of the wide variety you will get.

NB: When buying a car, try not to really tag it to price, but the conditions of the car. Don't be surprised that same car could have different prices, based on conditions.

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by JaaizTech: 8:29am On Jul 17, 2012
druid06: Let me give you my own point of view op since I'm into the business and I base in Cotonou. Generally speaking most people who sell at berger buy from Cotonou. I have one berger dealer who comes here and order close to 15-20 accident/flooded cars. He buys them very cheap. He flies them to Lagos ( Meaning he doesn't pay duty ) and when the cars gets to lagos he changes some essential parts of the cars like the doors and the damaged parts then he paints them, does a very neat job too. He then services the engine and make them a okay so unsuspecting customers wouldn't know they are buying damaged cars. Flooded cars are hard to notice to novice. He then does a fake duty and tells the customer the car is dutied and working in perfect condition. Most people get deceived by this because let's say the original cost of the car in Cotonou is 800K, he would make his own either a little higer like 810K or lower like 700K or 750K so people would think about the stress of going to Cotonou and buying that same car.

If you want to get good tokunbo cars, I advice you to come to Cotonou yourself, view the exact specs you want and if it is to your taste and price range, get it. Berger's flooded with damamged vehicles.

I think the main challenge in buying from cotonou is actually getting the right custom papers without having your head shaved. And if you try to get the right custom papers at the border the customs will inflate it so high that the whole deal won't be worth it again. Bottom line, if Nigerian Customs were less corrupt, buying a car from cotonou may actually have been a fantastic deal. Car dealers mostly buy cheap cars they can fix in order to maximise profit, if you know a dealer that Imports directly, you have a better chance of getting a better car. All in all, your best bet is to search for the car you want and check out the VIN no.; after that go to carfax online to check out the history of the car.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by kbaba120: 9:00am On Jul 17, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
Well from my own point of view, I bought a car from cotonou last year February and b4 then I went there to price it and got price range of cars and also went to berger but in there I found out that cars tyre are been washed with sugar and inside very nice but the engine so not it. Then put water in the rear so that when its been start u will feel like it was not used. They are all fake.
My car from cotonou I use for 1year had no issue until 14th month when I had to do something minor. Even till now I have change the plugs so I suggest that if you want a car you better go to cotonou.
And the price I got it was cheaper than berger too
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by kristofa09(m): 10:20am On Jul 17, 2012
plsss o,gd hearted pple help us state d average price of d cars in cotonu tht r used in nigeri.
Nissan
toyota
honda
VW
lincoln
lexus
e.t.c

i'll b very grateful.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Emperoh(m): 10:32am On Jul 17, 2012
thomasjohn:

@ Emperoh

thank you very much for all these, very insightful.
but pls i need further info.

i'm just so in luv with Peugeot 406 and wanted getting one, saw some here but almost all that i saw were converted from RHD to LHD, i have made up my mind not to buy a converted car no matter how gud it was done. The LHD i came across are not clean nd sound enough.
so i intend going to Cotonou soon but pls help me with answers to the following questions:
1. Is it possible for me to get a clean,sound LHD 406 EW10 engine over there?
2. What is the max age of cars to be imported into Naija, does a 2002 or 2003 406 fall withing the legal limit?
3. I intend to do everything the legal way and will not smuggle the car,but how do i ensure that the agent i'm using will not smuggle it?
4. How much will it cost me for custom duty of a 2002 or 2003 Peugeot 406 at the Nigerian border?

Pls i will be greatful if you provide me answers to the above questions and any further advise you can also offer.
thankx

Forgive me sir, but i am not so knowledgeable about Peugeot engines.
But i will address the issues to the best of my knowledge.

Q.1 = Yes, it is possible to get a LHD 406 with the engine specification at Cotonou. The market is very wide and vast. The RHDs you see are mostly imported from UK. Look for Peugeots 406 used in France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Holland or Austria. These are countries where you have LHD cars and were the use is very decent. You will be asking me how you can identify them? Some will still have their plate numbers as was used in Europe on them. Look at it very well, it will give you a clue on how and where it was used. But like i warned earlier, do a PROPER inspection before parting with your money. Once your money or deposit enters their hands, that is the end of it. You take the car or forget the money.

Q.2 = Maximum age of cars to be imported to Nigeria legally is 15 years that is, 1997 till date are all legal. You can still bring in under-aged cars through the legal routes but bear in mind that for it to come through, you will have to declare it as a 15 - vehicle. That means you will be paying more excise duty on it instead of less. E.g; if you buy a 1993 Honda Accord, the only way you can clear it in Lagos is to declare it as a 98 or 99 Accord else, na seizure be that.

Q3. = This depends on the agent you use. I suggest Femy2010 but please do your due diligence on him and agree a commission with him instead of having him give u a lump price. This way, you are in control of what is being spent and what is going to who. If you can, go with him all through the way if you have the time. The process is; you pick your vehicle at Cotonou, you for the car and the union fees there, pull it to Seme. At Seme, the car goes to the export vehicle Seat of Cotonou gendarme. You clear with the Cotonou end and then it's take to the Nigerian end of Seme. It is at this point that flying starts. But legally, it's to be driven to the Nigerian Customs vehicle seat at Seme border from where all the duties are paid. Once you have done the legal thing, drive your car home with peace of mind.

Q4. = What i will give you is only a guess. I am not sure. Please ask. But i think it should be around N150-N180k. Discuss with who you are working with.

God luck with your search!!

I am very willing to attend to your questions

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Emperoh(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2012
Ndata: @Emperoh Is it possible after buying a vehicle in Cotonou to drive it yourself down to Naija and pay the custom duty by yourself at the border?

I think someone has already answered your questions.
Be that as it may, i will chip in that you decide whether to clear the car yourself or through a licensed agent.
If you have the time, no wahala but if you don't, please engage the services of an agent.

But please, never try to drive the car down until you are sure your complete duty has been paid.
Good luck in you purchase.

1 Like

Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by thomasjohn: 11:59am On Jul 17, 2012
Emperoh:

Forgive me sir, but i am not so knowledgeable about Peugeot engines.
But i will address the issues to the best of my knowledge.

Q.1 = Yes, it is possible to get a LHD 406 with the engine specification at Cotonou. The market is very wide and vast. The RHDs you see are mostly imported from UK. Look for Peugeots 406 used in France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Holland or Austria. These are countries where you have LHD cars and were the use is very decent. You will be asking me how you can identify them? Some will still have their plate numbers as was used in Europe on them. Look at it very well, it will give you a clue on how and where it was used. But like i warned earlier, do a PROPER inspection before parting with your money. Once your money or deposit enters their hands, that is the end of it. You take the car or forget the money.

Q.2 = Maximum age of cars to be imported to Nigeria legally is 15 years that is, 1997 till date are all legal. You can still bring in under-aged cars through the legal routes but bear in mind that for it to come through, you will have to declare it as a 15 - vehicle. That means you will be paying more excise duty on it instead of less. E.g; if you buy a 1993 Honda Accord, the only way you can clear it in Lagos is to declare it as a 98 or 99 Accord else, na seizure be that.

Q3. = This depends on the agent you use. I suggest Femy2010 but please do your due diligence on him and agree a commission with him instead of having him give u a lump price. This way, you are in control of what is being spent and what is going to who. If you can, go with him all through the way if you have the time. The process is; you pick your vehicle at Cotonou, you for the car and the union fees there, pull it to Seme. At Seme, the car goes to the export vehicle Seat of Cotonou gendarme. You clear with the Cotonou end and then it's take to the Nigerian end of Seme. It is at this point that flying starts. But legally, it's to be driven to the Nigerian Customs vehicle seat at Seme border from where all the duties are paid. Once you have done the legal thing, drive your car home with peace of mind.

Q4. = What i will give you is only a guess. I am not sure. Please ask. But i think it should be around N150-N180k. Discuss with who you are working with.

God luck with your search!!

I am very willing to attend to your questions

Thank you very very much, this is very helpful.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by SOLIDTEARZ(m): 12:36pm On Jul 17, 2012
I have a toyota camry 2.2 2001 model for sell. Tokumbo.but d pics size r too large to upload on nairaland
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Demoore(m): 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2012
if your in Nigeria and you want to buy a car, best advised to check out these guys first.

http://www.viperautos.com/

They have a brand new car and fairly used section. Pretty neat
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by Birmingham(m): 2:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
Attacks upon attacks. Buying of cars either in Cotonou or at Berger implies you want fairly/second car. Have you considered to buy cars from Coscharis Motors, Honda Place, Elizader, Briscoe and others? Let us go for quality than quantity.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by thomasjohn: 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2012
Birmingham: Attacks upon attacks. Buying of cars either in Cotonou or at Berger implies you want fairly/second car. Have you considered to buy cars from Coscharis Motors, Honda Place, Elizader, Briscoe and others? Let us go for quality than quantity.

you think its evry1 dat is a govt official like you?
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by druid06(m): 3:04pm On Jul 17, 2012
thomasjohn:

you think its evry1 dat is a govt official like you?

Nor mind am, he acts as if he doesn't know the economic situation of the country. He thinks people are stupid to buy tokunbo cars if they have the budget for a new one. Some people just comment on post without even reasoning.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by druid06(m): 3:23pm On Jul 17, 2012
JaaizTech:

I think the main challenge in buying from cotonou is actually getting the right custom papers without having your head shaved. And if you try to get the right custom papers at the border the customs will inflate it so high that the whole deal won't be worth it again. Bottom line, if Nigerian Customs were less corrupt, buying a car from cotonou may actually have been a fantastic deal. Car dealers mostly buy cheap cars they can fix in order to maximise profit, if you know a dealer that Imports directly, you have a better chance of getting a better car. All in all, your best bet is to search for the car you want and check out the VIN no.; after that go to carfax online to check out the history of the car.

There is no challenge bro and customs do not inflate duty, most upcoming agents does that. You can duty your vehicle yourself when it gets to seme boarder to minimize your spending but the question that I need to ask, do you have the time for all that mumbo jumbo?.
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by frankwoodex: 10:58pm On Jul 17, 2012
my true people never u give ur money to any car dealer to buy car for u cus they can give u heart attack... Go ur self and clear ur concience cus they can tell u rubish story... U can buy a better car anywhere depending on the kind of car u want to buy.... U better buy in nija to reduce ur stress...
Re: Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market by REDDEVILS1(m): 3:10am On Jul 18, 2012
alanbolo:

Joker of d day.... Yard sale ko, garage sales ni
pls explain more on this. How can one go about it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) / The Slowest Cars In The World / The Remodelled N30M 2020 BMW 7-Series Car - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.