Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,188 members, 7,953,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:48 PM

Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? (2486 Views)

How Would Boko Haram Have Fared Had GEJ Won / Boko Haram: Shettima Insists On Amnesty As Church Escapes Bombing In Jos / Why Would Boko Haram Blast Kano Central Mosque? Join The Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by DaDoctor: 11:36am On Jun 06, 2011
BUT MY QUESTION IS, WUD THERE BE A MINISTRY OF BOKO HARAM??
WONT THERE BE THE EMERGENCE OF OTHER GROUPS

NAIJA SEF,

Northern group urges Boko Haram to accept amnesty offer
By Edwin Olofu

June 5, 2011 10:58PM
print email

The Northern Nigeria Renaissance Group (NNRG) has called on the radical Islamic sect popularly known as Boko Haram to accept the amnesty offer by the Borno State government and stop the killing of innocent people.

The newly formed group particularly frowned at the recent attack on the St. Patrick Catholic Cathedral and the Catholic Research centre in Maiduguri, Borno State capital and other attacks on religious centres.

The national coordinator of the group and its secretary general, Ibrahim Sanyi-Sanyi and Ali Liman, in a statement made available to newsmen in Kano over the weekend, said the amnesty offer to members of the outlawed Boko Haram is a welcome development as the search for peace and security in the troubled State continues.

It added that the offer should be pursued with all will, sincerity and vigor and urged the state government to initiate open and serious move to the realization of this amnesty program.

“We will like to passionately appeal to our disgruntled Northern brothers and sisters in Boko Haram, to please accept this offer of amnesty made by the government of Borno State, declare ceasefire and come to round table for dialogue,” the group said.

“Our region is already devastated by poverty, illiteracy, youth unemployment, preventable diseases, and underdevelopment. We cannot afford to worsen our woes with killings, bombings and creation of general atmosphere of fear and insecurity.”

The group also said Boko Haram leaders should realise that history has shown that similar violent struggles in Northern Nigeria were not winnable and that they only brought sufferings, deaths and agonizing memories to both the warring parties and their innocent brothers and sisters. It also called on other northern governors to reach out to the militants.

“The government of Bauchi and Yobe States should emulate that of Borno by offering amnesty to members of Boko Haram residing in their jurisdiction and sincerely put in place modalities to implement it. It is high time we move ahead and put behind us the dark images of sectarian violence and the gory memories it evokes,” they said.

Monitor the preachers

The group also solicited for the corporation of the leaders of the major religions in Nigerian - Islam and Christianity - by preaching the message of peace among their followers.

“We want appeal to religious leaders in the North to fear God Almighty and preach peace, forgiveness and peaceful coexistence among their followers. Mere public declaration that both Islam and Christianity preach peace is not sufficient: the clerics must preach the word of peace to their congregations and not hatred, resentment, suspicion and incitement.” The statement urged.

The group appealed to all state governments in the North, especially those with mixed population of Muslims and Christians, to put in place mechanism that will monitor activities of freelance, uneducated and often quack preachers that go about preaching hatred amongst the adherents of their respective religions.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5710779-146/northern_group_urges_boko_haram_to.csp
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by dustydee: 1:58pm On Jun 06, 2011
Do they know the meaning of amnesty?
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by violent(m): 2:04pm On Jun 06, 2011
The government's solution to hampering criminal activities that cannot be controlled or nipped in the bud by security services, is to offer criminals amnesty!

In other words, the less violent you are, the more likely you' re to end up in jail!. . .what a joke!
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by DaDoctor: 2:24pm On Jun 06, 2011
Same issue i have, people may now form groups and terrorise us and be recognised and be offered amnesty and then they get a ministry too
na wa o!!!
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Seun(m): 7:46am On Jun 07, 2011
Amnesty won't work for case. They are driven by religious zeal, not love of money.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Natasha2(f): 8:43am On Jun 07, 2011
huh well I thank God its just Bornu state  cheesy But what for?  for crying out loud they are terrorist commiting criminal offences The militants had a course they were fighting for as for these ones what is their own course? are we going to start paying criminals for killing innocent people ? What is their problem. they get up one morning and start killing people and the government feels this is the best way to deal with it? I'm still asking what are they the boko haram fighting for ? Why must they be given amnesty? is this the new style? so any I diot  can start a group and the government will give them amnesty well like I said I thank God its not the FG instead of bringing a lasting solution this is what Bornu state can come up with 
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by oiseworld: 8:51am On Jun 07, 2011
amnesty ke!  how can you give amnesty to a terrorist, i believe the hand of some northern leaders are in this.  how come they start talking amnesty when the president just signed the anti terrorism bill.

(Monitor the preachers )

you mean the islamic preachers.  who preach peace in public and jihad at back doors.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by texazzpete(m): 9:42am On Jun 07, 2011
People should learn to SUE the federal government for offering amnesty without compensation.
Amnesty means denial of justice. It means the killers of your loved ones will go scot free!

The Federal Government has to compensate victims of MEND and Boko Haram simultaneously with the amnesty programmes. If not, a lowsuit is probably the best option.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by MMM2(m): 9:43am On Jun 07, 2011
what is wrong with dose bas-tard.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by namfav(m): 9:44am On Jun 07, 2011
boko haram should exist first before there can be talk of amnesty, you don't give an amnesty to what is believed to be an ideology shared by a small group, boko haram or whatever the media tries to make it is not a political threat
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by bulDozer: 9:45am On Jun 07, 2011
namfav:

boko haram should exist first before there can be talk of amnesty, you don't give an amnesty to what is believed to be an ideology shared by a small group, boko haram or whatever the media tries to make it is not a political threat

No, it is not a political threat. It is a national tragedy of the highest bestial order. @ namfav, do you have any sense at all?

This is nothing but another plot to make criminals relevant in national politics. Has the amnesty in the Niger - Delta worked? Shiooooo.  shocked
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by basadenet: 10:18am On Jun 07, 2011
Boko Haram, are dangerous sect that should not be encourage by any government or people. This a group have killed Many innocent Christians in the Northern Part of the Country. This is a terrorist group that should be wiped out completely. by embracing them, you are given recognition to destroy more souls.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by DaDoctor: 10:36am On Jun 07, 2011
serious tots need be given these contemporary issue o
before it goes out of place and we have MINISTRY OF AMNESTY
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Natasha2(f): 10:47am On Jun 07, 2011
^^for them to come up with this things are already out of place? they will increase this people, even those who were not part will come into it because of the ''amnesty'' t
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by kabba7(m): 11:07am On Jun 07, 2011
If militants\kidnapers earn BTW# 65ooo# 75000 monthly what will stop D BOKO guys from Dsame + a ministry & a commision. GEJ peole {SS»SE } has got thiers it the turn D north the SW is not intrested please, Boko haram are even better they don't kidnao for money like SS.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 07, 2011
Da Doctor:

serious tots need be given these contemporary issue o
before it goes out of place and we have MINISTRY OF AMNESTY

cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

i think amnesty should also be given to all corrupt government officials because this corruption is seriously terrorizing, our economy. Corrupt officials are terrorists and for 50yrs now their activities have not been curbed so, i move the motion for an amnesty for them  cool since every criminal is been granted amnesty as well
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by HyeBits: 12:32pm On Jun 07, 2011
Please amnesty to all, Bankole etal inclusive.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by anointedf(m): 12:48pm On Jun 07, 2011
Wetin concern boko haram with amnesty. Amnesty ko, turenchi ni.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by namfav(m): 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2011
bulDozer:

No, it is not a political threat. It is a national tragedy of the highest bestial order. @ namfav,  do you have any sense at all?

This is nothing but another plot to make criminals relevant in national politics. Has the amnesty in the Niger - Delta worked? Shiooooo.  shocked

i don't see how this ideology affects anywhere outside of a small region in the north anyway this can only be addressed in the north, how is it a national tragedy if the ideology does not affect the south, you have groups like mend which is a bigger threat to nigeria
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by shady26(m): 1:01pm On Jun 07, 2011
‚@Kaba i believe u r not one of those fools commentn on NL JUST TO B HEARD.LET ME SUPPOSE URS IS JUST INGNORANCE.I DO NOT SUPPORT MEND OR ANY OTHER MILITANT GROUP IN THE SS BUT THIS GUYS R NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE WIT BOKO HARAM.THEY R FIGHTING TO PROTECT THE INTEREST OF THIER LAND AND COMMUNITIES AGAINST THE BUKKANEERING ACTIVITIES OF FORIEGN WHITE LORDS YLE BOKO WATEVER R FIGHTING TO PROTECT THIER MEDIOCRITY DISGUISED AS RELIGION.MEND HAVE TARGETS OIL INSTALLATIONS AND EXPERTRIATES NOT INNOCENT CITIZENS
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by shady26(m): 1:16pm On Jun 07, 2011
[b][/b] ;Dsince its a state that is offering d amnesty, my suggestion is the FG should spring em a surprise at the amnesty party,round em off together wit thier govnor str8 to FED HIGH COURT ABUJA,who knows they might be useful to TESTRUN OUR NEW ANTI-TERRORISM LAW!
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by aybim: 1:43pm On Jun 07, 2011
there is Fire on the Mountain, shocked and nobody seems to be on the run, chorus, embarassed
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by baslone: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2011
Good! Maybe we'll have peace, afterall there are no differences btw them and their Niger Delta brothers!

Killers and Criminals!!!
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by oladayo042: 2:50pm On Jun 07, 2011
koastar:

i think amnesty should also be given to all corrupt government officials because this corruption is seriously terrorizing, our economy. Corrupt officials are terrorists and for 50yrs now their activities have not been curbed so, i move the motion for an amnesty for them  cool since every criminal is been granted amnesty as well

I, Hon Sule Yesufu representing Kudurudu Federal Constituency, hereby second the motion as moved by koastar grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by 702: 3:13pm On Jun 07, 2011
Amnesty ke? these r die hard militants!!!!!

there is currently as m typin 3 huge bomb blast now in maiduguri as a police station near a cemetery is under full attack!!!! sad
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by micklplus(m): 6:55pm On Jun 07, 2011
Amnesty!!!!! Amnessty ko Dynasty ni.
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Jaideyone(m): 2:47am On Jun 08, 2011
hehe they want to negotiate with terrorists?
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by ayodot(m): 12:11pm On Jun 08, 2011
Certainly, Nigeria is in a state of chaos. Nigeria is in a state of anachy. this country will soon explode
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2011
koastar:

oladayo042:

I, Hon Sule Yesufu representing Kudurudu Federal Constituency, hereby second the motion as moved by koastar grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

As the speaker of this hallow chamber, I, Hon Kennyaribs hereby pass the resolution that amnesty should be granted to all corrupt officials including De2 Bank ole, as moved by Hon Koastar and seconded by Hon Oladayo042. I hereby declare as the speaker that all the thieves, armed robbers, Boko aram should accept this golden offer within 30days after which we shall arrest anyone that failed to accept the amnesty and kill them with bombs without any court hearing.
If you accept it say "HI", if you don't say "NAY",
The "HIs" have it *Hammer on their heads* cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would Boko Haram Embrace Amnesty As Advised? by Oscillation(m): 1:37am On Jun 09, 2011
Government should be very careful be rushing to grant otiose amnesty to criminals that deserve non less than charge for treason and conspiracy. They shouldn't rush to maybe take loan to grant amnesty, they should consider the pros and cons before the later see that they've called the problem to live with them forever. shocked kiss cool

(1) (Reply)

Best Voices On Radio And Tv / Breaking News:senator Muhammad Ali Ndume Granted Bail / Dr.Ikedife, Past Ohanaeze Ndigbo President-General Condemns Jonathan Over Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.