Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,912 members, 7,863,152 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:20 PM

Mrs Uduak Luke: 40 Years Of Going Through “the Process” - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mrs Uduak Luke: 40 Years Of Going Through “the Process” (390 Views)

I Love Her But At Almost 40 Years Old, I Cannot Ignore Her Fertility Issues. / My Friend Is Currently Going Through A Divorce In UK &having A Hell Of A Time / Lady Reveals How Her Wicked Aunt Maltreated And Denied Her Of Going To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mrs Uduak Luke: 40 Years Of Going Through “the Process” by Browndiary(m): 7:25am On Nov 09, 2021
By Edidiong Udobia

For Walter Pitkin and a legion of his like-minds, life begins at forty - a time, presumably, when life becomes better, maybe because of acquisition of skills, experiences, and means necessary for an enjoyable life. But this can be argued. In fact, another perception has been formed about becoming 40. This time, 40 is when you look back to imagine how far you have gone just because you had the benefit of learning from other people's experiences. Going through the process of life can be less trying and more exciting if you're diligent and humble enough to leverage the wisdom of others who have gone far ahead.

Dr Uduak Luke, the wife of the member representing Etinan/Nsit Ibom/Nsit Ubium Federal Constituency in the Federal House of Representatives, Rt Hon Onofiok Luke, is 40 today. Born on November 9, 1981, Mrs Uduak is the eldest from a family of four children. Her story of becoming 40 is laced with humour and lifelong lessons, with tints of courage and self-determination but wrapped in humility and absolute faith in God. When Mrs Luke got admission into the University of Uyo, to study Biochemistry for her first degree, her late mum, Mrs Cecelia Akpan Udo Akpan also got admission into the same university to study Law. “It might interest you to know that when I started year one, my mother also started year one,” she revealed. Watching her mum (who already had other degrees in the bag) fulfil a lifelong long dream of having a law degree, despite her age, was a huge inspiration for Uduak.

“She didn't know what she was doing to me at the time, but my mum happened to be one woman who showed me tenacity. In the face of everything, if she had to accomplish a goal, she would go for it. She unconsciously instilled that belief in me that there is nothing I set my mind on, that I wouldn't achieve,” the soft-speaking mother of four recalled. “She finally graduated, but unfortunately, she didn't get to practice the Law before she passed away.”

Being born into a Godly family where she was introduced to God early, counts as one of the most exciting things about Mrs Luke's growing up. That experience has been helpful all through her journey in life, especially when she has had to face really challenging situations and circumstances. She is a woman whose faith is deeply rooted in God. “40 years ago, was when God chose to bring me into the world to fulfil purpose, and that I am still here today by the grace of God means that He still has purpose for me.”

Going through the process, a major turning point for Dr Uduak, was getting married to her husband, Onofiok Luke in 2008. A lot changed. While the new chapter accelerated her growth in life in one hand, it ushered in new challenges. On one hand, her husband's leadership gifting rubbed off on her, which among other things, helped her in discovering her own leadership purpose. On the other hand, it was a clash of character traits for her. Coming from a very reserved background to sharing the life of a public-oriented man like Onofiok Luke, came with its unique challenges. As she jokingly said, “I used to think that I'm an introvert until I married my husband”.

13 years on, Mrs Uduak looks back with gratitude to her husband for being her biggest supporter and inspiration. She is grateful for the opportunity of once being the president, Legislators' Wives Association (LEWA), Akwa Ibom State, as wife of the Speaker. A privilege, she said, broadened her scope of leadership. As LEWA President, Mrs Luke had over three years experience in women leadership, but most memorably for her, was closely learning the art of humility, and patience from Her Excellency, Martha Udom Emmanuel. Again, being married to Mr Luke, inspired Uduak to become a leadership expert, and among accomplishments, she is a proud member of John Maxwell School of Leadership.

“I'm married to a husband, who, even if he didn't have a basic education, naturally has a very high intelligence quotient. Woe betide you if you're married to a man like that you feel that you can just sitdown, fold your hands and look at him. He will outgrow you,” she revealed.

As an environmental toxicologist, Mrs Luke is an ardent advocate for a safe and healthy environment. For her, the fight against climate change begins with individuals being deliberate about protecting the environment. From calculating the carbon credits in our individual homes, to taking steps to reduce carbon emissions, she believes that a safe environment begins with individual efforts. “Consciously or unconsciously, you and I are contributing to degrading the environment and we think that there are no negative effects, there are. Take for instance, there are too many diseases that doctors are diagnosing these days, that sometimes, they run out names to give them. It's because of the activities we are all carrying out,” she said. “So, as environmental biochemists, we create the awareness for people to do the little they can to ensure that we have an earth that we can continue to inhabit.”

At 40, Dr Udauk Luke has reached a remarkable educational attainment. Presently, she holds a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry (University of Uyo), Masters degree in Clinical Biochemistry (University of Calabar) and Doctorate in Environmental Toxicology Biochemistry ( University of Calabar). She is a member of several professional bodies such as the Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB); Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD); Nigerian Environmental Society (NES), Women in Management, Business and Public Service (WIMBIZ); American Chemical Society (ACS), etc.

She is an ardent believer in mentorship, and for her, it is one of the surest ways of propelling one's journey in life. “If you have the opportunity of learning from other people's experiences, you will not have to go through the same experience yourself, and that can help you go faster in life,” she noted. “I have had the privilege of learning from the experience of others and it has helped me go through the process”. But she's looking forward to more years of The Process.

Happy 40th birthday, Ma'am!

(1) (Reply)

Missing Person / Obinna Ozoemena Ambrose / Sex Education In Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.