Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,875 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

Nigerian Low Calorie Diet - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Low Calorie Diet (14739 Views)

Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents / Healthy, Low-calorie Substitutes For Common Nigerian Meals / Calorie Content Of Crayfish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by initiate: 5:00pm On Jun 06, 2011
All low calorie diets we find on the internet talk about oyinbo food
is there a recipe for the kind of nigerian food we can eat wen one wants to lose weight?
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by initiate: 11:00am On Jun 07, 2011
No suggestions? na wah o
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2011
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by initiate: 4:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
thanks

please what do these terms mean

whole grain

organic food

food rich in fibre
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by JeSoul(f): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2011
Chaircover is exactly right.
A Low Calorie naija diet pretty much depends on how you cook your food. Replace certain ingredients with healthier alternatives such as the palm oil (me I still use it sha, in low amounts and not very often).

initiate:

please what do these terms mean

whole grain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_grain
Whole grains are cereal grains that contain cereal germ, endosperm, and bran, in contrast to refined grains, which retain only the endosperm. Wholegrains can generally be sprouted while refined grains generally will not sprout. Wholemeal products are made by grinding whole grains in order to make wholegrain flour. Whole grains are a natural source of protein as well as a source of carbohydrates and are made into many different kinds of foods.

Common whole grains include:

Wheat
Oat
Barley - Hulled and Dehulled (not Pearl)
Maize
Brown rice
Farro
Emmer
Einkorn
Rye
Spelt
Millet
Quinoa
Amaranth
Triticale
Teff
Sprouted Grains
Buckwheat
Common whole grain products include:

Whole wheat flour
Whole wheat Bread
Whole wheat Pasta
Rolled oats or oat groats
Triticale flour
Popcorn
Teff flour

PS. Do not be deceived by unscrupulous advertisers . . . look on packages that start with the word "Whole" ex, 'whole grain' 'whole wheat' etc. Those that simply say 'wheat' or 'grains' etc are not whole grains but rather the further processed version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food
Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives.
I'm not sure where you live, but organic foods in most industrialized countries are wicked expensive, many double the price of the synthetics. Unfortunately, its almost unrealistic for the average family to consume only organic foods. If you're in Naija you shouldn't have this problem  smiley

http://www.wheatfoods.org/AboutWheat-What-is-Fiber/Index.htm
What Is Fiber?
Dietary fiber is a complex carbohydrate and is the part of the plant material that cannot be digested and absorbed in the bloodstream. Soluble fiber may help with weight loss as it makes you feel full longer, and research has shown it also may help lower blood cholesterol. Good sources of soluble fiber include oatmeal, oat bran, barley, dried beans and legumes, and citrus fruits. Insoluble fiber tends to speed up the passage of material through the digestive tract and reduce the risk of colon cancer and diverticular disease. Good sources of insoluble fiber include wheat bran, whole grain cereals, and fruit and vegetable skins.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by tpia5: 1:56am On Jun 10, 2011
i'm not sure, but ofada rice might be healthier than long grain.

dont quote me however.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by Nobody: 3:40am On Jun 10, 2011
I don't know if we have any low-calorie foods, but I'm sure we have high-protein ones. Moin-moin and bean porridge should be good considering they're mostly beans.

The best Nigerian low calorie diet, in my opinion, is one not involving much Nigerian food. No matter how we change it, our food is fattening. You can make swaps, but still I only eat it sparingly; sparingly as in once or twice every other week. I've tried brown rice with stew rather than white rice but I won't make that a staple of mine lol. Try eating hot garri rather than pounded yam. Because I make the dishes sparingly, I still use palm oil for moin-moin and sometimes for stew and soups. I like the taste it has anyway. Everything is good in moderation.

Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet, and drink at least eight cups of water a day. That's the best advice for any diet.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by armyofone(m): 1:07pm On Jun 10, 2011
counting calories in nigeria food/meal is hard. i mean how many cups of rice do you want to cook. i think adult should eat 1/4 cup of rice for a meal. but then that 1/4 cup will be like nothing on your plate. the taste of nigerian stews are so delicious. . . so that 1/4 cups is nothing  cheesy
now how many slice of our white bread? half slice of bread or 1 slice of bread. no butter, no jam, no peanuts butter  wink.
as for beans, i heard we should eat it more. but guess what, a lil beans will fill you anyway unlike rice.

now our soup is one huge huddle  grin we cook our soup so rich with assorted stuff. egusi soup will have goat meat, shrimp, dried fish, ponmo, cowleg etc. imagine shocked grin counting calories for that one, me no fit grin now how much per serving to eat, i don't know but would love to know. i love cooking nig meals esp serving friends and family.

anyway, OP make sure you work out as you eat. cut everything you eat into half of it. if you are used to eating one full plate of rice, eat half. invest in vegetables and salad (no dressing). plain vegetable is  kiss i don't know which nig greens you could eat raw.
raw spinach is superb.

learn to measure your cookings. make sure you invest in measuring spoons and measure everything you cook.
moderation is the key.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by JeSoul(f): 8:22pm On Jun 10, 2011
armyofone:
now our soup is one huge huddle  grin we cook our soup so rich with assorted stuff. egusi soup will have goat meat, shrimp, dried fish, ponmo, cowleg etc. imagine shocked grin counting calories for that one, me no fit grin now how much per serving to eat, i don't know but would love to know. i love cooking nig meals esp serving friends and family.
ROTFLOL . . . you had me laughing out loud here girl  grin  At one point I was thinking of putting together a rough estimate of caloric/nutritional values for the naija dishes I cook. Mehn, I gave up. lol. I mean how many calories is a handful of dried fish? a cup of ground egusi? tripe/shaki? lol.

anyway, OP make sure you work out as you eat. cut everything you eat into half of it. if you are used to eating one full plate of rice, eat half. invest in vegetables and salad (no dressing). plain vegetable is  kiss i don't know which nig greens you could eat raw.
raw spinach is superb.
Mehn that one hard oh! half? lol.

learn to measure your cookings. make sure you invest in measuring spoons and measure everything you cook.
moderation is the key.
This is good advice that even I need to heed. Na eyeing & guestimate I dey do all the time.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by JeSoul(f): 8:26pm On Jun 10, 2011
ogugua88:

The best Nigerian low calorie diet, in my opinion, is one not involving much Nigerian food. No matter how we change it, our food is fattening.
But then think about it sister, which cultures' food is not fattening? American? Mexican? European? Its only those bony asians that eat everything raw that have relatively low calorie foods. I believe most foods are okay as long as you can creatively substitute sketchy ingredients with healthier ones - and like you said, everything in moderation - not eba and egusi everyday.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by ifit: 4:00pm On Jun 13, 2011
Counting calories is hard even if you had the calorie count of our local meals. In any case, there are so many other ways to lose weight without counting calories. One of those ways is to reduce your portion size. Many of us eat huge meals because we are conventional in thinking "three square meals", so we pack our plates huge. But you can actually eat up to 5 or 6 times and still eat less.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by aronkulu(f): 4:05pm On Oct 05, 2014
Is not just about portion ensure u eat 50% of wholegrain daily, and the remaining 50% of your daily meal shed be protein, fruits, sugars like yam and dairy like milk.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by Syfy(f): 7:21pm On Oct 05, 2014
What of unripe plantain?
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by aronkulu(f): 11:37am On Oct 16, 2014
Unripe plantain is still carbohydrate. Though it has a lesser calorie compared to yam and ripe ones.
Re: Nigerian Low Calorie Diet by ayufun: 10:36am On Jun 24, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Exotic Delicacies Exclusive To Northern Nigeria / Tips To Cook A Cheap, But A Classics Okra Soup Needed. / Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.