Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President (631 Views)

Nigeria’s Brutal Decision: Former Dictator Or Alleged Kleptocrat - Bloomberg / Why Osinbajo Won't Become President Yet - BBC / Buhari Praises Former Dictator Sani Abacha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by VaselineCrew: 11:22am On Nov 11, 2021
Someone that wiped away democracy

You Nigerians went and brought him back

What is the IQ of Nigerians sef

Think about if you are a coup plotter today, won’t you be jailed? But you guys still went and brought a coup plotter to become your leader.

I have never seen a people like Nigerians, chai
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 11, 2021
Yes, because most people don't realize that democracy is hard work.

We could have had a younger Nigerian as leader right now, but most of us younglings would rather focus on other things rather than politics.

I don't like Buhari...but he is president because right from day 1 of this democracy, he made sure he was in the public eye, campaigned, risked losing elections, built a large support base, made alliances, etc etc. It took him some 14 years, but it paid off.

But most of us won't take the risk to go into politics. We cry that the election is rigged anyway, or Nigerians are too dull to vote for us, or that we don't have enough power...etc etc. Meanwhile, the old men do what we youngsters should be doing. And we youngsters back them

(Lord knows how many times I have told people to vote for parties other than PDP or APC, and Nigerians reply by saying that other parties are weak. Meanwhile, we groan under APC and on election day...vote for APC. )

Until you and I and anyone commenting on this thread is ready to do more than just rant online...we won't see any change in the status quo. Success belongs to hardworking people, not to lazy people.
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by Otuegbe: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2021
VaselineCrew:

Think about if you are a coup plotter today, won’t you be jailed? But you guys still went and brought a coup plotter to become your leader.

who even pardon Buhari?
The guy committed treason. Buhari should be in prison serving life term.

2 Likes

Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by 4Play(m): 12:08pm On Nov 11, 2021
backbencher:
Yes, because most people don't realize that democracy is hard work.

We could have had a younger Nigerian as leader right now, but most of us younglings would rather focus on other things rather than politics.

I don't like Buhari...but he is president because right from day 1 of this democracy, he made sure he was in the public eye, campaigned, risked losing elections, built a large support base, made alliances, etc etc. It took him some 14 years, but it paid off.

But most of us won't take the risk to go into politics. We cry that the election is rigged anyway, or Nigerians are too dull to vote for us, or that we don't have enough power...etc etc. Meanwhile, the old men do what we youngsters should be doing. And we youngsters back them

(Lord knows how many times I have told people to vote for parties other than PDP or APC, and Nigerians reply by saying that other parties are weak. Meanwhile, we groan under APC and on election day...vote for APC. )

Until you and I and anyone commenting on this thread is ready to do more than just rant online...we won't see any change in the status quo. Success belongs to hardworking people, not to lazy people.

I feel like you are missing the point. Why would a hopelessly inept person attract the support of a supposedly reasonable or educated populace? Of course, he put himself out there in the public's mind by campaigning and attempting to build a support base but why would anyone listening to him in say 2014 for instance think he knew how to improve this country?

Ranting online is part of the democratic debate that shapes public thinking on the viability of a candidate for leadership so it isn't something to be dismissed as irrelevant. The problem is that the online ranting in the lead up to 2015 had a significant pro-Buhari leaning and it's hard to grasp now, as it was then, why the often educated online Buhari supporters thought he was a capable person.

My diagnosis is that Nigerian politics is a personality-driven endeavor with little or no attention paid to policy making, the real source of change and development. People don't ask what each candidate will do differently, they instead make judgements about the type of person they like often drawing from their ethnic or religious biases. That's somewhat true of politics in any part of the world but it is even more so in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by FarahAideed: 12:11pm On Nov 11, 2021
VaselineCrew:

The average IQ in Nigeria is miserly 65 and that's where most of our problems stem from
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by IgweOfNnewi: 12:11pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hypocrisy, if Ojukwu had become, you people wouldn't have said that, the man that rejected aids and food from foreign nations just because of his callousness and stupidity
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2021
4Play:

I feel like you are missing the point. Why would a hopelessly inept person attract the support of a supposedly reasonable or educated populace? Of course, he put himself out there in the public's mind by campaigning and attempting to build a support base but why would anyone listening to him in say 2014 for instance think he knew how to improve this country?

Ranting online is part of the democratic debate that shapes public thinking on the viability of a candidate for leadership so it isn't something to be dismissed as irrelevant. The problem is that the online ranting in the lead up to 2015 had a significant pro-Buhari leaning and it's hard to grasp now, as it was then, why the often educated online Buhari supporters thought he was a capable person.

My diagnosis is that Nigerian politics is a personality-driven endeavor with little or no attention paid to policy making, the real source of change and development. People don't ask what each candidate will do differently, they instead make judgements about the type of person they like often drawing from their ethnic or religious biases. That's somewhat true of politics in any part of the world but it is even more so in Africa.

I'm not missing the point.

The fact is, democracy means a lot of work. It means going out and showing face and making oneself known. Not ranting online, or complaining and complaining about how bad things are....while doing nothing about it.

We have Buharis running us, and a lot of unimaginative people running over us because the people with vision and purpose that could change this country are all ranting online...instead of joining a party and changing things from within.

And yea, politics is personality driven, even in the developed countries.(Trump and before him the Kennedys in the USA for example). Plus, Nigerians themselves don't do policy. For instance, GEJ tried to remove fuel subsidy. That's a policy change...and guess how Nigerians responded? El rUFAI tried to remove deadwood school teachers...a policy change...and guess how that went down.?

All in all, power belongs to the hardworking...and right now the people who are ruling us are the ones who worked hard for it. (And yes, it happens in other countries....Weah of Liberia spent over ten years...including even going back to school to get some qualifications before he became president of Liberia)
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by gidgiddy: 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:
Hypocrisy, if Ojukwu had become, you people wouldn't have said that, the man that rejected aids and food from foreign nations just because of his callousness and stupidity

And the Nigeria that imposed blockade and used starvation as an instrument of war are to be commended?

1 Like

Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by 4Play(m): 12:34pm On Nov 11, 2021
backbencher:

I'm not missing the point.

The fact is, democracy means a lot of work. It means going out and showing face and making oneself known. Not ranting online, or complaining and complaining about how bad things are....while doing nothing about it.

We have Buharis running us, and a lot of unimaginative people running over us because the people with vision and purpose that could change this country are all ranting online...instead of joining a party and changing things from within.

And yea, politics is personality driven, even in the developed countries.(Trump and before him the Kennedys in the USA for example). Plus, Nigerians themselves don't do policy. For instance, GEJ tried to remove fuel subsidy. That's a policy change...and guess how Nigerians responded? El rUFAI tried to remove deadwood school teachers...a policy change...and guess how that went down.?

All in all, power belongs to the hardworking...and right now the people who are ruling us are the ones who worked hard for it. (And yes, it happens in other countries....Weah of Liberia spent over ten years...including even going back to school to get some qualifications before he became president of Liberia)

This is like answering the question: why do Nigerians fall for things like MMM Mavrodi pyramid scheme or tithe-seeking prosperity preachers by answering that fraudsters/charlatans put in a lot of work in their deception campaigns.

I have no doubt that inept politicians like Buhari put in a lot of hard work but I suspect they do so with the reasonable prospect that the Nigerian populace will choose them over a vastly more competent alternative.

There are plenty of politically active Nigerians and Buhari and GEJ were not the only choices on the ballot in 2015 but like the Mavrodi investment scam, the incompetence is almost like a magnet for the populace.

As for Trump, his personality played a role but at the very least his anti-immigration policies (as loathsome as they are) were his distinguishing factor and the source of his support in the GOP primaries. Policies work hand in hand with personality in the advanced democracies, in Nigeria they have almost zero significance. And when you highlight the reactions to sensible policy proposals like the removal of fuel subsidy you vindicate my point: Nigerian politics suffers from the failure of the educated class to get to grips with policy debates and the over reliance on personality to the exclusion of policy.

We are both saying that Nigerians are to blame but I am emphasizing that it's not due to lack of participation in politics from good competent persons but a disinterest/ignorance of competence by the populace at large and over reliance on personality judgements often based on religious/ethnic sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by 4Play(m): 12:39pm On Nov 11, 2021
IgweOfNnewi:

Example of what we are talking about. Unable to defend Buhari on his merits, he has to invoke the "Ibo" monster. Buhari is a bad choice for President and this judgement can be arrived at without excluding the judgement that Ojukwu made idiotic decisions.

1 Like

Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by asanausana91: 12:43pm On Nov 11, 2021
VaselineCrew:

why not kill yourself so that this pain you carry will just disappear .
I thought you said he is jibril el sudani?
Confused ipob.
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by IgweOfNnewi: 12:46pm On Nov 11, 2021
4Play:

Example of what we are talking about. Unable to defend Buhari on his merits, he has to invoke the "Ibo" monster. Buhari is a bad choice for President and this judgement can be arrived at without excluding the judgement that Ojukwu made idiotic decisions.
Who is senile, dementia, animalistic, irresponsible, callous, vegetative, doppelganger buhari
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by IgweOfNnewi: 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2021
gidgiddy:

And the Nigeria that imposed blockade and used starvation as an instrument of war are to be commended?
I guess that was your parents told, you think they will be truthful about what Igbos did wrong? common, bias and sentiment will have hidden the truth
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by VaselineCrew: 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2021
FarahAideed:

The average IQ in Nigeria is miserly 65 and that's where most of our problems stem from

It’s crazy! Education for all and family planning should be the watchwords in government all over Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by VaselineCrew: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2021
asanausana91:
why not kill yourself so that this pain you carry will just disappear .
I thought you said he is jibril el sudani?
Confused ipob.

You haven’t answered my question though.

Is it logical to elect someone that was once a coup plotter? Someone that thwarted a democracy?

What possible logical justification could you tender for committing to such an act?

Of all the 200 million Nigerians, you lot figured the best man for the job would be a former coup plotter? That is like raw stupidity.

Even if many Nigerians aren’t educated, we still have those doing wonders in the engineering, medicine... did you hear of Nigerians making drones in the U.S? You have professors, economists, business majors, app makers, brilliant sociologists...

Yet, and yet, you lot went back in time to even before some of you were conceived to bring back a gun toting coup plotter.

I am having a hard time understanding this. It just doesn’t compute in my head.
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by Imokay: 5:03pm On Nov 11, 2021
gidgiddy:

Normal levels during a total war, check what USA, UK did to blockade Germany and vice versa, uSA starved Japan of oil assets to slow down their military. Control of rubber plantation for making tyres was a major war objective, nobody is whining that they denied us of rubber to make tyres it's not that fair. Food is the first thing to secure in preparation for war not the last, i wonder where kanu has kept strategic food reserve for the dangerous voyage he is taking you on.

USA even dropped a nuke on Japanese civilians, everyone has moved and become best of friends. but eternally hateful people are calling on those who did worse to each other to come and avenge for them.
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 11, 2021
FarahAideed:

Who will you be voting for in 2023?
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by FarahAideed: 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Who will you be voting for in 2023?

My Favorite is Osinbanjo if he chooses to run but if he is not running then I will wait and see who PDP brings
Re: Only In Nigeria Can A Former Dictator Become President by asanausana91: 6:07pm On Nov 11, 2021
VaselineCrew:

You haven’t answered my question though.

Is it logical to elect someone that was once a coup plotter? Someone that thwarted a democracy?

What possible logical justification could you tender for committing to such an act?

Of all the 200 million Nigerians, you lot figured the best man for the job would be a former coup plotter? That is like raw stupidity.

Even if many Nigerians aren’t educated, we still have those doing wonders in the engineering, medicine... did you hear of Nigerians making drones in the U.S? You have professors, economists, business majors, app makers, brilliant sociologists...

Yet, and yet, you lot went back in time to even before some of you were conceived to bring back a gun toting coup plotter.

I am having a hard time understanding this. It just doesn’t compute in my head.

your father that is a professor of all professors did not come out to contest that is why we voted for the man that came out to contest.
Ask your father why he dint contest?
Mind you, if you think buhari participated in coup why not take him to court?

(1) (Reply)

More Taxes : Nigerians To Pay 7.5% VAT On Every Facebook Advert / Tears Of Joy As Abuja Based Philanthropist Builds, Donates Brand House To Widow / Where Are The Original ESN Kanu Set Up And Who's In Charge Of Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.