Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. (4857 Views)

Learn Figma – UI/UX Design Essential Training Course / Urgently Need UI & UX Designers / Why Does Startup Need UI/UX Design To Retain The Customers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2021
To our senior and junior UI/UX designers, please drop your comments and contributions here, how is the journey so far?

To our amiable developers, feel free to contact anyone here for partnership or employment.

To anyone intending to dive into UI/UX design, feel free to, the time is not late. A dedicated time and resources can make the year fulfilling for you as you may have acquired a new skill.

Modified: There is this misuse of web design by most of our developers or so, so many articles on the internet, especially Quora point to the fact that a web designer is actually a user experience and user interface designer but most developers on nairaland and Nigeria tend to call themselves web designers especially those CMS users.

Please I would like someone to expatiate on this, is there something I'm missing?

1 Like

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by VicUkegbu(m): 6:45pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hi, I want to take up a course in UI/UX..
Don't even know if I am on the right track
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 6:50pm On Nov 11, 2021
VicUkegbu:
Hi, I want to take up a course in UI/UX..
Don't even know if I am on the right track

You are on the right track sir, I wanted to learn programming at first, but decided to start with UI/UX. With a dedicated 2 months plus of daily practice, I got my self brushed up and I have never been more proud of myself.

Just like everyother skill, nothing is easy, Twitter is the most accurate place to get a job if you can grasp the concept of web design(UI/UX).

Enough said, you are on the right track.

8 Likes

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by chariisGRACE(m): 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2021
Hightser:

You are on the right track sir, I wanted to learn programming at first, but decided to start with UI/UX. With a dedicated 2 months plus of daily practice, I got my self brushed up and I have never been more proud of myself.

Just like everyother skill, nothing is easy, Twitter is the most accurate place to get a job if you can grasp the concept of web design(UI/UX).

Enough said, you are on the right track.

I am saving to get a Laptop. By December, God willing, i will get it. UI/UX design have been on my mind.

I will appreciate if you give a debrief of what it is like.
What should someone expect.

How long would it take for one to grasp at least the medium aspect of UI/UX design

And what are the softwares one can install on their system.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 9:22pm On Nov 11, 2021
chariisGRACE:

I am saving to get a Laptop. By December, God

And what are the softwares one can install on their system.

Thank you.

Hello chief, UX/UI design is a soft skill just like other skills.
UX skills involve:
User experience design.
User interface design.
Usability and testing skill.
User research skill.
Interaction design.

Incase you don't understand any of the over listed, you just have to Google each word to get an answer.

Overview: According to Quora, UX design services concern understanding the user's journey, needs, and requirements and converting it into a product.

It starts with a problem and ends on a prototype. A UX designer focuses on understanding the target audience, asking relevant questions to the customers, defining the user flows followed by user testing to cover and fix all the glitches and flaws in the website design.

UI design services focus on all the visual designing elements for the website. It includes typography, graphic elements, images, videos, color theory, layout, etc. It mainly concerns giving an attractive representation to the website to attract many possible eyes.

In summary, UI is the graphics, elements and buttons visible on a website or app while UX is the feeling users get when they navigate a website or app.

Well, these two are the most popular of the skills in UX/UI design.

Getting started: materials and sources can be gotten from YouTube and Udemy, when I started, YouTube was my first landing page but then I felt something was amiss, I bought a course on Udemy and some hidden materials and links were part of it.

Any laptop can do as the softwares you need are mostly web based and not installation based.

Figma, Adobe XD, sketch, prototype.io are the most popular of the softwares, they perform the same function but some employers prefer some based on reasons known to them.

But be assured that figma and Adobe XD are the most popular and figma has a collaboration support for multiple people working on same project.

Pros: you will have to sit for longer hours trying to join elements and buttons together to create a meaning.

You should learn how to combine different primary colours to create amazing colours.

Typography is something you need to give serious attention.

Give or take, 3 months of constant practice of say 6 to 7 hours a week should get you started, depending on your level of comprehension, for me, it took less.

You will need time and patience to build your portfolio.

Advice: Twitter is your best bet to network with fellow junior designers.
Dribble and Behance are place you would see beautiful designs you can try to redesign during your learning period.

Don't forget to network.

Let's talk about pay, according to online sources like glass door, a UX designer salary is about 60 to 70k USD per anum, but that's if you are able to get a remote job, for beginners, you could get a 70k naira job and above for a start and scale it from there.

Also, you could network with developers and they would give you jobs when ever they get an offer to develop a website or app.

Note: I'm not talking about nairaland WordPress developers or the " I will design a website for you for 20k naira" crew.

Shalom.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by emmybliz(m): 5:01pm On Nov 14, 2021
Is coding needed for UI dessign?
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by anayolity: 10:10pm On Nov 14, 2021
Hightser:

Hello chief, UX/UI design is a soft skill just like other skills.
UX skills involve:
User experience design.
User interface design.
Usability and testing skill.
User research skill.
Interaction design.

Incase you don't understand any of the over listed, you just have to Google each word to get an answer.

Overview: According to Quora, UX design services concern understanding the user's journey, needs, and requirements and converting it into a product.

It starts with a problem and ends on a prototype. A UX designer focuses on understanding the target audience, asking relevant questions to the customers, defining the user flows followed by user testing to cover and fix all the glitches and flaws in the website design.

UI design services focus on all the visual designing elements for the website. It includes typography, graphic elements, images, videos, color theory, layout, etc. It mainly concerns giving an attractive representation to the website to attract many possible eyes.

In summary, UI is the graphics, elements and buttons visible on a website or app while UX is the feeling users get when they navigate a website or app.

Well, these two are the most popular of the skills in UX/UI design.

Getting started: materials and sources can be gotten from YouTube and Udemy, when I started, YouTube was my first landing page but then I felt something was amiss, I bought a course on Udemy and some hidden materials and links were part of it.

Any laptop can do as the softwares you need are mostly web based and not installation based.

Figma, Adobe XD, sketch, prototype.io are the most popular of the softwares, they perform the same function but some employers prefer some based on reasons known to them.

But be assured that figma and Adobe XD are the most popular and figma has a collaboration support for multiple people working on same project.

Pros: you will have to sit for longer hours trying to join elements and buttons together to create a meaning.

You should learn how to combine different primary colours to create amazing colours.

Typography is something you need to give serious attention.

Give or take, 3 months of constant practice of say 6 to 7 hours a week should get you started, depending on your level of comprehension, for me, it took less.

You will need time and patience to build your portfolio.

Advice: Twitter is your best bet to network with fellow junior designers.
Dribble and Behance are place you would see beautiful designs you can try to redesign during your learning period.

Don't forget to network.

Let's talk about pay, according to online sources like glass door, a UX designer salary is about 60 to 70k USD per anum, but that's if you are able to get a remote job, for beginners, you could get a 70k naira job and above for a start and scale it from there.

Also, you could network with developers and they would give you jobs when ever they get an offer to develop a website or app.

Note: I'm not talking about nairaland WordPress developers or the " I will design a website for you for 20k naira" crew.

Shalom.

C'mon Bro cheesy cheesy
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Powersurge: 3:53am On Nov 15, 2021
Bro in Naija you are all in one. Naija employer want u to be UI/UX and a developer.

2 Likes

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by chariisGRACE(m): 11:21am On Nov 15, 2021
anayolity:
[/b]
C'mon Bro cheesy cheesy
Me sef I weak. grin
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 15, 2021
Powersurge:
Bro in Naija you are all in one. Naija employer want u to be UI/UX and a developer.
So annoying. it’s only in Nigeria that I’ve seen job openings listing HTML, css, JS, react as requirements and just as you’re about to click apply; gbam! You will see proficiency in Adobe or figma.
I go design mock-up, na still me go develop am, for 70k angry

2 Likes

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 15, 2021
emmybliz:
Is coding needed for UI dessign?
No. But you should understand how websites and apps work.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Ridwanacole: 6:07pm On Nov 15, 2021
Hightser:
To our senior and junior UI/UX designers, please drop your comments and contributions here, how is the journey so far?

To our amiable developers, feel free to contact anyone here for partnership or employment.

To anyone intending to dive into UI/UX design, feel free to, the time is not late. A dedicated time and resources can make the year fulfilling for you as you may have acquired a new skill.

Modified: There is this misuse of web design by most of our developers or so, so many articles on the internet, especially Quora point to the fact that a web designer is actually a user experience and user interface designer but most developers on nairaland and Nigeria tend to call themselves web designers especially those CMS users.

Please I would like someone to expatiate on this, is there something I'm missing?

I've been designing for almost a year now so I guess I can call myself a junior UI/UX designer. From what I've observed, my advice to new designers is to learn additional skills and probably network with other designers (if they'll network with you sha) because that's the easiest way to get jobs.

1 Like

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 12:05am On Nov 16, 2021
Ridwanacole:

I've been designing for almost a year now so I guess I can call myself a junior UI/UX designer. From what I've observed, my advice to new designers is to learn additional skills and probably network with other designers (if they'll network with you sha) because that's the easiest way to get jobs.

Chief, how is the journey so far?

Well, you are right about learning additional skills, on my own part, I'm already deep into web and I intend to scale it to mobile all front end, then backend and Blockchain, well, it's a life time career so it won't all happen over night.

1 Like

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 12:10am On Nov 16, 2021
Rgade:

So annoying. it’s only in Nigeria that I’ve seen job openings listing HTML, css, JS, react as requirements and just as you’re about to click apply; gbam! You will see proficiency in Adobe or figma.
I go design mock-up, na still me go develop am, for 70k angry

Chief, everything about Nigeria employers is very off, that's why remote job or freelancing is the best bet for UX designers, Nigeria employers want to eat their cake and have it.

3 Likes

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Emeraldfynest(m): 12:28pm On Nov 17, 2021
Well done boss, talking about learning additional skills. I don't want to learn coding, so I'm thinking Webflow design, does that count?
Ridwanacole:

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by HeyCorleone(m): 10:03am On Nov 21, 2021
Ridwanacole:

Hey bro.

Well done.

I’ve been learning UI design for a while now and I’m confident about job searching.

Please how did you create a resume without any agency experience? Also what’s the best site for creating a portfolio? Thanks.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by ChasinGood(m): 3:53pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hello guys,I'm looking forward to starting the UI/UX design. Taking a class from udemy or Coursera,which is better pls?
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Ridwanacole: 7:46am On Nov 24, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Hey bro.

Well done.

I’ve been learning UI design for a while now and I’m confident about job searching.

Please how did you create a resume without any agency experience? Also what’s the best site for creating a portfolio? Thanks.

Hi!

There isn't much detail on my Resume. just name, a few works I've done and links to some designs.

I use behance as my portfolio for now. if you don't like that, you could build yours with webflow

1 Like

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Ridwanacole: 7:49am On Nov 24, 2021
Emeraldfynest:
Well done boss, talking about learning additional skills. I don't want to learn coding, so I'm thinking Webflow design, does that count?

It definitely counts. I'm also looking to learn webflow starting from next year. Webflow then motion design.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Nairaman001: 1:07pm On Nov 24, 2021
Hi @Ridwanacole , @Highster , @HeyCorleone , @ChasinGood , I want to get started with UI/UX design and I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction by posting links to YouTube channel channels that I could learn from, books to download, websites to visit and stuff like that…Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by ChasinGood(m): 1:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
Hey Chief,go check out 'bring your own laptop' fellow on YouTube. I actually just began too. Cheers!
Nairaman001:
Hi @Ridwanacole , @Highster , @HeyCorleone , @ChasinGood , I want to get started with UI/UX design and I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction by posting links to YouTube channel channels that I could learn from, books to download, websites to visit and stuff like that…Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 3:39pm On Nov 24, 2021
ChasinGood:
Hello guys,I'm looking forward to starting the UI/UX design. Taking a class from udemy or Coursera,which is better pls?

Start from YouTube first, then Udemy is the next stop, good luck.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by HeyCorleone(m): 4:11pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ridwanacole:

Hi!

There isn't much detail on my Resume. just name, a few works I've done and links to some designs.

I use behance as my portfolio for now. if you don't like that, you could build yours with webflow

Thanks a lot bro.

Very helpful.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Ridwanacole: 4:38pm On Nov 24, 2021
Nairaman001:

YouTube covers majority of what you need. Subscribe to Pablo Stanley channel.

Also there's this program on YouTube that teaches you the basics of UX in details on YouTube. search for "Zuri"

You can also check https://www.mobilespoon.net/?m=1 for tips on UI/UX

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Emeraldfynest(m): 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2021
Okay, thank you.
Ridwanacole:

It definitely counts. I'm also looking to learn webflow starting from next year. Webflow then motion design.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by HeyCorleone(m): 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2021
Nairaman001:

Hey bro

There are tons of courses on YouTube. Simply searching something like “UI design basics” would give hundreds of videos that would help you begin your journey. If you have experience in design or using tools like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign, you’d be familiar with certain things. I can’t recommend any video but you can find plenty that would be good for you

You can also use this link to get 6 days of free UI design course. This would help you master the basics and give you a headstart: https://careerfoundry.com/en/courses/become-a-ux-designer/

Most important thing is to practice. If you have a PC now, I’d advice you to download Figma and start practicing from the videos you watch. Using a more hands-on approach would make things easier for you.

2 Likes

Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by emmybliz(m): 12:42am On Nov 25, 2021
Rgade:

No. But you should understand how websites and apps work.

Is it possible to understand how apps and websites work without knowing how to code?
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Bapy(m): 2:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
Hightser:

Hello bro, how's is it going with you? Sure going well.
Do you recommend Utiva to learn UI/UX design?
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 12:54am On Dec 08, 2021
Bapy:
Hello bro, how's is it going with you? Sure going well.
Do you recommend Utiva to learn UI/UX design?

Of course I believe they are good, so far it’s physical, don’t accept virtual, you can do it yourself if it’s virtual.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Hightser: 12:55am On Dec 08, 2021
emmybliz:

Is it possible to understand how apps and websites work without knowing how to code?

yes, very sure, first step is to head over to YouTube and watch videos, know the right questions to ask YouTube and you will get the right answers.
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by Bapy(m): 7:17am On Dec 11, 2021
Hightser:

Of course I believe they are good, so far it’s physical, don’t accept virtual, you can do it yourself if it’s virtual.
thank you boss
Re: Product Designers (ui/ux) Get In Here. by chariisGRACE(m): 7:28am On Dec 14, 2021
Hightser
Can a laptop of 60K get me started?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Build An App Together From Scratch.... Who's In? / Oracle Stored Procedure / Download Psiphon Pro For PC (windows 10/8/7 And Mac OS) For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.