Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,377 members, 7,846,608 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? (1129 Views)

Is Polygamy Accepted In Christianity? / RCCG Online Dating App Condemned By Leke Adeboye (Pastor Adeboye's Son) / Is Polygamy Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 3:07pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

I love the way you accept that Jesus has the final say, God will surely bless you for that.

Well he said:

In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? Matthew 19:4-5

There are three points here:
IN THE BEGINNING:
Jesus is here talking about the initiation of marriage!

God made THEM MALE and FEMALE. Note the pronoun THEM which all of us know that Jesus was referring to TWO persons, then MALE (not MALES) and FEMALE (not FEMALES)

Then in the second highlighted:

Jesus said "the TWO will become ONE"

The reason for all these is because Jesus is taking us back to Paradise where there will be no mourning, crying, pain, hatred or rivalry.
So if people or prophets in the past couldn't decipher this, it's not their fault because the Messiah (Christ) who happens to be with the true God has not come to establish how things ought to be! John 4:25

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

So it's note like Jesus commanded we marry only one wife but you are trying to explain your beliefs with his words.
You seem to be putting words into Christ mouth.
You act live Jesus can't express himself clearly and he needs you to do the explaining for him.

If you most be honest, no where in the verse you quoted was against marrying more wives.
We should be one with our wives true but it never stated we can't be one with more than one wife.
The entire body of believers are expected to be one with themself. So what really is your point.
Also I disagree with you that we should disregard the teachings of the old testament.
If there is any part of the old testament that was changed by Christ, it's only the law of Moses. Every teaching in the old testament is the word of God.

Speaking about the believers, Christ said "Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one"
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:57pm On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

So it's note like Jesus commanded we marry only one wife but you are trying to explain your beliefs with his words.
You seem to be putting words into Christ mouth.
You act live Jesus can't express himself clearly and he needs you to do the explaining for him.
If you most be honest, no where in the verse you quoted was against marrying more wives.
We should be one with our wives true but it never stated we can't be one with more than one wife.
The entire body of believers are expected to be one with themself. So what really is your point.
Also I disagree with you that we should disregard the teachings of the old testament.
If there is any part of the old testament that was changed by Christ, it's only the law of Moses. Every teaching in the old testament is the word of God.
Speaking about the believers, Christ said "Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one"

Well i think his first century followers fully grasp what he taught before saying:

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach! 1Timothy 3:2

Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 1Timothy 3:12

So if you're not contented with all these i think you can marry as many as you wish just as a woman also have the right to marry more husbands after all there is no scripture that says they shouldn't do so! cheesy
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 7:31pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Well i think his first century followers fully grasp what he taught before saying:

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach! 1Timothy 3:2

Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 1Timothy 3:12

So if you're not contented with all these i think you can marry as many as you wish just as a woman also have the right to marry more husbands after all there is no scripture that says they shouldn't do so!

So from the verses your qouted, only bishops and deacon where to to have one wife..

Again the verses are not even saying they most have only one wife it's saying that they most be married
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:16pm On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

So from the verses your qouted, only bishops and deacon where to to have one wife..

Again the verses are not even saying they most have only one wife it's saying that they most be married

Never mindy friend both men and women are free to marry as many wives or husband they want after all the Bible did not say they should not do so! cheesy
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:57pm On Nov 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

U imply what people did not say...

My statement was in response to someone claiming God created male and female automatically means monogamy....

Jesus wasn’t addressing the topic of divorce.. it’s that simple

You already know that divorce ONLY FOLLOWS A VALID MARRIAGE.

If no marriage then there can be no divorce.

Therefore, the validity of the marriage is pari-material.

And the only valid marriage in issue in Respect of The Pronouncement of Christ was in reference to monogamy "male and female" and not "males and females nor males and female nor male and females. (Polygamy)0
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by advanceDNA: 9:07pm On Nov 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You already know that divorce ONLY FOLLOWS A VALID MARRIAGE.

If no marriage then there can be no divorce.

Therefore, the validity of the marriage is pari-material.

And the only valid marriage in issue in Respect of The Pronouncement of Christ was in reference to monogamy "male and female" and not "males and females nor males and female nor male and females. (Polygamy)0

Oga...

Don’t assume or imply what Jesus did not say.
Don’t add to it...

Jesus addressed the issue of divorce when he mentioned male and female in Mathew

You do realize that male and female scripture was a quote from genesis...

And that genesis verse talked about the creation of humans in male and female

because God ddnt make only Adam and Eve...
If he did...where did all the other people in the world come from...?? Who did Cain marry after Abel died...
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 9:09pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Never mindy friend both men and women are free to marry as many wives or husband they want after all the Bible did not say they should not do so! cheesy
Like I always say, don't add you personal beliefs to the scripture
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
advanceDNA:
...Jesus addressed the issue of divorce when he mentioned male and female in Mathew

As I said, respectfully, there is no divorce without a valid marriage.

To put this contention to rest, I'll just say this as my final word, if you think it good to take the risk of running foul against The Law on marriage, it is you who shall bear the consequence thereof, not I.

But as the Bible hath Said "IT IS BETTER TO FEAR GOD AND OBEY" than to explain and defend yourself in His Presence.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

Like I always say, don't add you personal beliefs to the scripture
Heard you loud and clear! grin
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Detuner: 1:09am On Nov 16, 2021
Polygamy this, Polygamy That, ah ah.....There is no where in the bible that says polygamy is a sin. On the contrary, It a popular practice among biblical figures. The notion that polygamy is somehow a sin, is influenced by European cultural practices.

You'll be arrested in any western country for having more than one wife, yet polyamorous affairs between marriage couples is encouraged. Lets not even open the cans of worms about how "same-sex" marriage is now being rationalized in christainity as if it is written in biblical scriptures.

Oh and btw, there's a transgender, Feminists, and LGBQ bibles currently in development. Apparently, the world is so civilized that the usage of masculine pronouns for God, and feminine and masculine genders in the bible is deemed offensive, as it undermines people struggle for "Equality". With all this happening, yet it is polygamy that's giving Nigerian xtains sleepless nights. Una never see anything grin
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:34am On Nov 16, 2021
Detuner:

Polygamy this, Polygamy That, ah ah.....There is no where in the bible that says polygamy is a sin.
They had money to take care of more than one man so they married two men and some three men under the same roof.
Surely polygamy is trending not only in Africa and the Bible never condemn polygamy! cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Year Old Boy Who Died In Well. Where Was God? / An All Hearing God Needs A Mediator Between Him And Man / Salvation, Or Just Blackmail?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.