Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges (37239 Views)

Cross The Highways & Pay N50,000: Use Pedestrian Bridges Instead - Lagos Govt / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has Pedestrian Bridges That Nobody Uses / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has The Highest Number Of Pedestrian Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by ChiefSosa(m): 8:33pm On Nov 14, 2021
Mummyfour:
the cable car you talked about, shebi na electricity dey powe am?
I am just passing by o.......
There are several means of powering a Cable car other than just Direct electricity. Cable cars have been available for about 2 centuries now, so different means have been developed to power/run the cars, excluding mechanical means.
Lol, thanks for passing by.
Cheers!
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mummyfour(f): 9:05pm On Nov 14, 2021
ChiefSosa:

There are several means of powering a Cable car other than just Direct electricity. Cable cars have been available for about 2 centuries now, so different means have been developed to power/run the cars, excluding mechanical means.
Lol, thanks for passing by.
Cheers!
When I asked that question about electricity being used to power the cable car and like you have added that there are other sources, I had to take a back seat to analyze the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in this country.
It's really not about the source of power, but the safety mechanisms, consistency and maintenance culture which of course you know we totally lack in this part of the world.
Buildings dey collapse because of poor planning, poor building materials, talkmore of cable cars that will have an influx of people as passengers.
The thought of a cable car hanging thousand of feet away from the ground because of power failure is giving me headache already, except if it will be mandatory that it will also be our leaders means of transportation, grin.
If you know, you know
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Originalsly: 9:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
No doubt... it's very unsafe to cross such a busy road. But is building these almighty high pedestrian bridges the only solution? What is done in developed countries with a longggg history of traffic and pedestrian management? The ones making these decisions have travelled abroad... didn't they learn anything? Did they consider the elderly ... the sick... those with kids.... those with loads ... the handicapped ... climbing those mountainous stairs just to get to the other side of the street? Even fit me will rather wait to make the dash. How about traffic lights? ... used worldwide to allow people to cross? I know someone can explain.
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by DaRuud(m): 9:31pm On Nov 14, 2021
Shehuyinka:

https://www.icirnigeria.org/shortcut-to-death-abuja-residents-shun-pedestrian-bridges/

If you are looking for 100m Olympic sprinters , come to these spots in ABUJA .

1. Zuba by Zenith Bank
2. Dantata Junction , Dakwa
3. Dei Dei under bridge
4. Mopol Barrack , Dei Dei ,
5. Kubwa by NNPC
6. Kubwa by NYSC junction
7.Kubwa Phase 3
8. Dutse Junction by NOUN
9. Galadima gate
10.Gwarinpa
11. Cetraco gate
12. Jahi
13. AY Shafa filling station ( Jumat prayer time )
Tipper garage .
15. WU Bassey Barracks
16. NICON junction
17. Banex
18. Berger Bridge
19. Wuye junction
20. Finance junction ( real sprinters )
21. Area 1
22. AYA round about
23. .

100. Anagada junction.

I don tire to type these places
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by DaRuud(m): 9:33pm On Nov 14, 2021
Shehuyinka:

https://www.icirnigeria.org/shortcut-to-death-abuja-residents-shun-pedestrian-bridges/

1. Zuba by Zenith Bank
3. Dei Dei under bridge
5. Kubwa by NNPC
7.Kubwa Phase 3
9. Galadima gate
10.Gwarinpa
11. Cetraco gate
12. Jahi
Tipper garage .
15. WU Bassey Barracks
16. NICON junction
17. Banex
18. Berger Bridge
19. Wuye junction
21. Area 1
22. AYA round about
23. .

99 Karu bridge
100. Anagada junction.

Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by DaRuud(m): 9:33pm On Nov 14, 2021
Shehuyinka:

1. Zuba by Zenith Bank .
3. Dei Dei under bridge
5. Kubwa by NNPC
7.Kubwa Phase 3
9. Galadima gate
10.Gwarinpa
11. Cetraco gate
12. Jahi
Tipper garage .
15. WU Bassey Barracks
16. NICON junction
17. Banex
18. Berger Bridge
19. Wuye junction
21. Area 1
22. AYA round about
23. .

99 Karu bridge
100. Anagada junction.

Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by ChiefSosa(m): 9:48pm On Nov 14, 2021
Mummyfour:

When I asked that question about electricity being used to power the cable car and like you have added that there are other sources, I had to take a back seat to analyze the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in this country.
It's a real sad situation we've found ourselves. We had/have so many chances of doing great things as a Nation, but we just keep dragging our feet, while the leaders are looting and beating around the bush!
It's really not about the source of power, but the safety mechanisms, consistency and maintenance culture which of course you know we totally lack in this part of the world.
Lord knows we lack maintenance culture in Nigeria. That's why we need officials that would carry out daily safety analysis on the cable cars before, during and after operations. Violators will also have to be arrested, fined or banned from using the Cable cars.
Buildings dey collapse because of poor planning, poor building materials, talkmore of cable cars that will have an influx of people as passengers.
Those collapses occur mainly because we have morally and ethically bankrupt individuals that would rather loot good part of funds, rather than doing the work. Different cable cars will be provided, so the influx of passengers will be minimized or eradicated. The cars will only take them across the road, so there would be enough time to convey everyone without congestion.
The thought of a cable car hanging thousand of feet away from the ground because of power failure is giving me headache already, except if it will be mandatory that it will also be our leaders means of transportation, grin.
If you know, you know
Cable cars can be scary, but different measures have been put in place to make the experience a smooth one. Officials will also have to constantly carry out General safety analysis to make sure everything is running fine. If there's a power failure, the car will simply suspend till the power comes back on or till an alternative source of power is provided.
Lol. Our leaders have trust issues, so they may not want to ride the cable car, even though they'll import the cars from other countries that have been using them for decades. Same way they'll never live in the buildings they commission, because they're afraid the building might collapse. They know deep down that substandard products were used 'cause they also looted part of the funds meant for such building projects.

1 Like

Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Coolgent(m): 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2021
NOC1:

Nigerians are symbiotic with laziness, imagine the excuses they are giving, they prefer to shout Jesus and alhamdulillah on near miss from a speeding vehicle than applying safety, they prefer to insult and lynch an innocent driver who knocked them down than do the needful.

They will implicate village people and ignore their stupidity, many will blame Buhari but refuse to blame their self.

Bitter truth!
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by MICHEALADEX(m): 1:39am On Nov 15, 2021
Malory:
Buhari through his crass ineptitude has destroyed the nation's capital that the PDP administration built and bequeathed to him. Buhari is the worst president in history of mankind

What are you saying?

Stupidity is when you choose to comment without reading the body of a message.

Hate kills faster than Gun
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by ekevwe(m): 3:38am On Nov 15, 2021
Shehuyinka:

All these are unnecessary excuses. It may interest them to know that if a speedy car hit someone crossing in that location, he will be almost set free. No crime
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by alenwup(m): 5:22am On Nov 15, 2021
I think the Area 3 case is different. The distance between the bridge and the bus stop is too wide, though I have learnt to get used to the bridge now because of the inevitable. Meanwhile people have been robbed mercilessly on foot bridges in the night
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by PARADIZEPRIEST: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2021
CIVIL ENGINEERING IN NAIJA IS WACK. NO SENSE OF PLANNING FOR CONSUMERS. THEY JST ERECT ANY RUBBBISH AND CARRY THE MONEY TO NICCON HILTONNS HOTELS TO FCK AMERICA ASHAWOSS.IN DOLLARs. BASTARD, CURSED BUILDERS FR LAGOS COLLAPSE BUILDIN TO ABJ PESDESTRIAN BRIDE BUILDING.
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Kfed4ril(m): 7:59am On Nov 16, 2021
Baawaa:

Nigerians, if this pedestrian bridge was not built,if car hit anybody in that location we will be blaming government of not building pedestrian bridge.Is only God will deliver all of us

What you said is true, but sometimes you don’t blame them. The pedestrian bridge in Area3 is like 1k from the junction, before you walk to the bridge, climb and the walk down to the junction, time don go, plus extra sweat.
So I think that’s were the FCTA got it wrong.
Pedestrian bridge shouldn’t be far from the junction.
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mayhem1: 10:30am On Nov 20, 2021
Mummyfour:
If you know, you know
Madam u just dey ignore me e no good oo, I'm a dying man here cry any amount will do.
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mummyfour(f): 11:50am On Nov 20, 2021
Mayhem1:
Madam u just dey ignore me e no good oo, I'm a dying man here cry any amount will do.
oga, why are we Nigerians like this?.This entitlement mentality is borne out of what naah!
This is not the way to go.
I am not owing you.
I only posted that I assisted someone and all of a sudden I became indebted to you, up to the point of you saying I am ignoring you.?
Do you know whether I even have for myself again?
Abeg nairalanders come to my aid and settle this matter o
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mayhem1: 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2021
Mummyfour:
oga, why are we Nigerians like this?.This entitlement mentality is borne out of what naah!
This is not the way to go.
I am not owing you.
I only posted that I assisted someone and all of a sudden I became indebted to you, up to the point of you saying I am ignoring you.?
Do you know whether I even have for myself again?
Abeg nairalanders come to my aid and settle this matter o
Mummy na no do me like this lipsrsealed why embarrass me like this naw
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mummyfour(f): 10:46pm On Nov 20, 2021
Mayhem1:
Mummy na no do me like this lipsrsealed why embarrass me like this naw
bros read the message you sent me naah!!
That is what necessitated my reply
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mayhem1: 11:40pm On Nov 20, 2021
Mummyfour:
ok I am sorry will you still help me cry
Re: Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Mayhem1: 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2021
Mummyfour:
but can u help me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Questions To Ask Before Booking A Hotel Room / 7 Must-see Places In Eastern Nigeria / Car Plunges Into Ovia River At Evbonogbon On Lagos-Benin Road. Many Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.