Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) (1589 Views)

Ka3na Participating In A Water Goddess Rituals (Video, Photo) / Whitemoney Begs BBNaija to Stop Married People From Participating In The Show / Bobrisky: Why I Am Not Participating In #EndSARS Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2021
If Miss South Africa Lalela Mswane does go on to participate in the upcoming Miss Universe pageant, she will do so without the support of the government - a first for democratic South Africa since 1994.

The Department of Arts, Culture and Sports released a statement on Sunday saying government had withdrawn its support - and as a result, that of the country - for her to compete in the global competition set to take place in Israel in December.

There have been calls from various organisations for countries to boycott the international pageant in Israel later this year, over the Israel/Palestine conflict as a way to show solidarity with Palestinians, the way they did with oppressed South Africans during apartheid.

Miss SA wants to go to Israel

While pressure from pro-Palestine groups, civil society and the general public has grown, the Miss SA leadership has remained steadfast in its decision to go on with the contest.

Earlier this week, Miss SA CEO Stephanie Weil told local radio that Mswane was going.

"The issue at hand is whether she wants to go or not and its a decision not taken lightly, it was after much consultation with both her and myself and the Miss Universe organisation talking about whether she wants to go or not and the truth is she does want to go and represent her country."

Weil said she would not engage in the political matter and she didn't know what Msweni would say at the pageant.

"Miss South Africa and Miss Universe are around the empowerment of women and women coming together to bring about change by using their voices.

"We all know that boycotting is not necessarily going to be the way that we are going to make a substantial difference, I truly don't believe not attending and not being able to showcase or use one's voice and being in that country is going to be the right thing."

Consultations

The department said it had first held what seemed like engaging, constructive and progressive discussions, but this later met with an unpleasant demeanour that is intransigent and lacking appreciation of the potential negative impact of such a decision on Mswane's reputation.

Miss SA pageant organisers had even visited Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a known supporter of the Palestine people, at his home to get more perspective on the Israel/Palestine conflict, during which he is said to have told them that Palestinians' "humiliation is familiar to all black South Africans who were corralled and harassed and insulted and assaulted by the security forces of the apartheid government".

Miss SA reputation at stake

Minister Nathi Mthethwa said while he appreciates the likely impact on the individual interest of Mswane, he strongly believed that reasons that require withdrawal far outweigh individual interests.

“If anything, by withdrawing, Miss South Africa’s reputation and overall standing will be far more advanced in South Africa and internationally in comparison to a once-off event that can prove disastrous to her future and public standing as a young, black woman,” Mthethwa said.

The department said it still hoped some common sense would prevail in Mswane's interest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Forlahh(f): 4:40pm On Nov 14, 2021
Thats bad! Let love lead pls
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Righteousness2(m): 4:49pm On Nov 14, 2021
Hear O Nations!
Hate , Dislike or gang up against Israel is an act of using your Hands to Destroy yourself.

I am not a Fan of Miss this or Miss that but boycotting because of so called Palestina this or that is a Very Foolish move from the SA Government.

Israel is a Covenant and the Blessing and Prosperity of Nations and People is tied to your relationship with Israel.

Gen 12:1-3
Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

1 Like

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by habsydiamond(m): 4:56pm On Nov 14, 2021
OYO... A state in NIGERIA and an abbreviation for ON YOUR OWN.. That's bad oo.. If she come win dem go dey claims she makes them proud.. Yeye people Sha..
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2021
SA has won Miss Universe twice since 2017 and the country always fields strong competitors.

Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters (2017)
Zozibini Tunzi (2019)

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:36pm On Nov 14, 2021
Righteousness2:
Hear O Nations!
Hate , Dislike or gang up against Israel is an act of using your Hands to Destroy yourself.

I am not a Fan of Miss this or Miss that but boycotting because of so called Palestina this or that is a Very Foolish move from the SA Government.

Israel is a Covenant and the Blessing and Prosperity of Nations and People is tied to your relationship with Israel

Apartheid Israel. Is that what God preaches?

1 Like

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Righteousness2(m): 5:39pm On Nov 14, 2021
TMKsouth:

Apartheid Israel. Is that what God preaches?
You lack knowledge bro.
Calling Israel is calling GOD ALMIGHTY apartheid is a Comprehensive Lack of knowledge for a mere creature to address its CREATOR in such manner.
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:43pm On Nov 14, 2021
Righteousness2:

You lack knowledge bro.
Calling Israel is calling GOD ALMIGHTY apartheid is a Comprehensive Lack of knowledge for a mere creature to address its CREATOR in such manner.

I know apartheid when I see it - I lived through it. So I don't lack knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Righteousness2(m): 5:59pm On Nov 14, 2021
TMKsouth:

I know apartheid when I see it - I lived through it. So I don't lack knowledge.

The Foolishness of GOD is Wiser than the wisest of men.
You Drop your limited and Carnal knowledge when it comes to the things of GOD. HE is the ALMIGHTY.
You simply obey and Follow.
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by chariisGRACE(m): 7:29pm On Nov 14, 2021
Righteousness2:
Hear O Nations!

Israel is a Covenant and the Blessing and Prosperity of Nations and People is tied to your relationship with Israel.

Gen 12:1-3
Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Pastor, you are just like Reno Omokri.

You know the bible cover to cover, but you lack in dept spiritual interpretation to whatever verse you quote.

Please, don't send down the wrath of God on me.

from your comments, you have no clue what 'Spiritual Israel' is.

Your comment shows that you don't know Christ as you claim. You don't significance of the adoption that Christ did.
I cum in piss and I piss in cum.
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by kennykruzmason: 11:05pm On Nov 14, 2021
Let Love lead
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:54am On Nov 15, 2021

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Muna4real(f): 11:21am On Nov 15, 2021
How is it her fault that Miss universe will hold in Israel?
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:00pm On Nov 15, 2021
Muna4real:
How is it her fault that Miss universe will hold in Israel?

Remember much of the world stood with SA in the struggle against apartheid. So SA should also have a unified and principled stance against injustice when it happens in other countries. Putting individual interests ahead of the collective interest will undermine that effort.

She's still free to go though - but she's on her own.

2 Likes

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 11:02am On Nov 16, 2021

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Righteousness2(m): 11:55am On Nov 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

Remember much of the world stood with SA in the struggle against apartheid. So SA should also have a unified and principled stance against injustice when it happens in other countries. Putting individual interests ahead of the collective interest will undermine that effort.

She's still free to go though - but she's on her own.

In the Case of Israel. I will Boldly stand against the World than stand against Israel.
Whom GOD has Blessed no man can Curse.
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:00pm On Nov 16, 2021
Righteousness2:

In the Case of Israel. I will Boldly stand against the World than stand against Israel.
Whom GOD has Blessed no man can Curse.

Israel has lost the plot. You must stand for justice and not blind faith.
Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by Righteousness2(m): 12:04pm On Nov 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

Israel has lost the plot. You must stand for justice and not blind faith.

In this your so call Palestine hugowash, I Stand Boldly, Strongly, Courageously, Unrepentantly and Unapologetically with Israel.
I Cannot be Deceived!

Any gang up against GOD'S First Born is waste of time and an act of Suicide by the gangers!
When Nations and People operate in their limited knowledge and Ignore GOD'S Word , they up in Frustrations and Calamities.

Go and Digest the book of Zechariah 12 and 14 to know the End of Nations and People that do such.

1 Like

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2021

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:25am On Nov 30, 2021
Israel 'sneaked' Miss SA in to save face

Africa4Palestine's Braam Hanekom has raised concern over how Mswane was able to enter the country, after Israel banned travel from South Africa last week.

“Israel places a travel ban on our country, but somehow in the dead of night, Lalela is able to sneak herself into Israel.”

While Miss SA has been criticised for choosing to compete in Israel, Hanekom said more should be done to investigate the pageant's ties (Miss SA) to international Zionist organisations.

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 3:41pm On Dec 11, 2021
MISS SA shows off national costume at Miss Universe pageant. The dove inspired costume represents World Peace amidst tensions in the Middle East.

Re: Miss SA Loses Govt Support For Participating In Miss Universe In Israel (PIX) by TMKsouth: 7:02am On Dec 13, 2021

Miss SA secures third spot!

(1) (Reply)

DJ Cuppy Proudly Showcases The Beautiful Interior Of Her Father, Femi Otedola's / Sisqo Vs Ja Rule / Nicole Richie Is Having Hilary Duff's X's Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.