Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,104 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Tertiary Education, A Scam And A Sham - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tertiary Education, A Scam And A Sham (336 Views)

Top 9 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria With Highest % Of Tertiary Education Graduates / The Suspension Of Medical Education; A Time Bomb Waiting To Explode – Dr. Yaji I / Woman Education A Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tertiary Education, A Scam And A Sham by rollywise(m): 7:53pm On Nov 15, 2021
Education they say is the key. The key to success and a life of many opportunities. Back in the days, parents of graduates carried themselves in high esteem and would brag at every given opportunity that their son or daughter is a graduate. Students of tertiary education had meal tickets in between lectures. Nigerian students went abroad to further their studies at will without hitches. Even my mother told me she got her employment to the teaching line from the government while she was still in youth service. She said many other employers of labor trooped into the camp to higher people in advance during pop. Today the narrative is worlds apart. The education system today (mostly tertiary) has become very useless, old fashioned and produces huge number of dependants quarterly. I have said I may not send my child to a university and many condemned it. I asked why and they say I never can tell, the opportunity for a good job might just pop up anytime. Is this enough reason to spend those years and money in the university without true assurances? I have interacted with many students and many will tell you their case is different but time has unveiled that it's no different from the usual story of an unemployed youth throwing CVs here and there in search of a white collar job. Now I did this little calculation. Say I give my child good and quality, KG, primary and secondary education of which at this stage my child can write, speak, read, disseminate and assimilate. Then I register him in a trade or skill let's say barbing, beauty salon, tailoring etc. At most training will take a year. Then when the child is done and can start his own, I calculate all the money I would have spent in his tertiary education, let's say a million naira and invest it in the skill he learnt. At the first year that child A is learning a skill, child B is in 100 level. At year two when child A opens his business child B is in level 200. At the third year child A is already conversant with the area and business being a boss and might even begin to have apprentices while child B is in year 3. At the fourth year child A is maybe planning to open another center from profits of three years of being a boss and doing his thing while child B is graduating from the University. Year 5 child A is probably married and settled while child B is in youth service. Year six child A is with a kid and child B is throwing CVs around. Sometimes as it is often seen today, child B would later come to child A to start learning his skill. Many would say why not train the child in a skill and also train the child in the university, not many parents have the luxury of affording both. For me, it's either one or the other and which ever it is must be able to cater for the child when he is done learning. But from what I have seen and still seeing, tertiary education is now a mockery of it's self. Nigerian universities are breeding job seekers and not entrepreneurs. This has made our youth so dependent. There are even some good paying businesses some youths can do but they don't see themselves doing them because they are graduates. At the end, this is my own thought, not forced on anyone. It is all man to himself.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Top Secondary Schools In Akwa Ibom In 2021 / Uniben Aspirants / How To Create A Wikipedia Article

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.