Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

My Former HR Is Disturbing Me - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Former HR Is Disturbing Me (31204 Views)

What Do You Do When HR Is Unprofessional? / Female Uber Drivers: Passengers Make Advances At Us, Send Disturbing Messages / Man Electrocuted In Akure While Working On A Pole (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by UTILITYMAY(m): 1:05pm On Nov 17, 2021
Xhuntra:

Drop his number let us greet him for you

Seconded grin
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Adeyinka123: 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2021
As HR, you do not have any reason to worry once you are not owing the company any dime. Stay focus and enjoy your job.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by tjcare4u2005(m): 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2021
You don't have to worry yourself brother.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by EmekaBlue(m): 1:07pm On Nov 17, 2021
U no even get problem

1 Like

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by alizma: 1:07pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:
I created a thread sometimes ago about a recall from my former place of work, a bigger firm in the same industry with better pay. I thereafter left the company i was working with then though with a short notice and i forfeited almost half month salary and the little savings i had with them.
I was not confirmed as the time i left so i felt i'm safe but to my surprise the HR was calling me that i should not forget the balance i have to pay them in lieu of notice, this is so frustrating and the last time he called i had to shout on him to stop disturbing me. I tried to get across to few friends in the company and they confirmed that HR is just doing his own bidding as the MD is more preoccupied with more important issues than my case. Please is there any danger in this, note they are aware in my current organization how i left the company. Do i need to be worried for anything.

Thanks.
Consult your employment letter.
Let's assume the following
1) Your employment letter says you have to give one month salary failure to give 1month notice or it's equivalent, or an amount equal to your one month salary.
2) your one month salary is 100k but as at the time you resigned you didn't give one month notice and you had worked for 15days which you were not paid, pro you are owing the company 50k in the eyes of the law.
However if there is a loophole in which case, the letter says your one month salary will not be paid, by implication, you are free because it's only when you have one month salary with them that they can hold on to it.
Once there is a statement in the letter that shows that the money that should be taken for insufficient notice should be money that would have been paid to you, that means it is limited to what you have with them.

4 Likes

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 17, 2021
Xhuntra:

grin grin
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by kombitel(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
My Brother,

Please check you appointment letter from that company, If you see any statement like "One month notice period or payment in lieu" - it is binding on you. it means you are still owing them half month pay as part of notice. They may not arrest you to reclaim it but if they ever get any back ground check letter from a future company you may work for, Be rest assured they will raise that matter.

From experience, its an Intergrity issue and you may be fired in your new company.

What i advise is, please go meet them and agree a 3-6 months re-payment plan for the balance of the notice period in case you don't have cash now.

This is my brotherly advise. But you can reject it if you get a better advise.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by kenex4ever(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:
I created a thread sometimes ago about a recall from my former place of work, a bigger firm in the same industry with better pay. I thereafter left the company i was working with then though with a short notice and i forfeited almost half month salary and the little savings i had with them.
I was not confirmed as the time i left so i felt i'm safe but to my surprise the HR was calling me that i should not forget the balance i have to pay them in lieu of notice, this is so frustrating and the last time he called i had to shout on him to stop disturbing me. I tried to get across to few friends in the company and they confirmed that HR is just doing his own bidding as the MD is more preoccupied with more important issues than my case. Please is there any danger in this, note they are aware in my current organization how i left the company. Do i need to be worried for anything.

Thanks.
Did they include the clause in ur appointment letter that u will pay certain amount if u dont give them enough notice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Lemmy123(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
Eweeeyyyy!

I'll advise that you go back to your former workplace to clear anything that could implicate you in your new place up...

One thing might lead to the other and your new employer would hear of the issue, he'll assume one or two things including you being distracted in your new job, and that's it, he has enough reason to fire you...
Don't joke with this "little problem". Try to get it resolved

1 Like

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by CaptainFM1: 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:

Thanks.

As yourself if you've breached the terms of contract as stated in you COS. The penalty for such will also be stated in your contract.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by AyarmBoye(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2021
To hell with them.... they can fire one at anytime but one isn’t allowed to drop their ass when one feels like? Pathetic!! undecided
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by sabreal: 1:13pm On Nov 17, 2021
How many days notice were expected to give?

How many did you give.

Ordinary, you are supposed to be paid for the days of notice given

So clearly spell out what actually happened so you can get adequate advice.

ayomilore:

Thanks.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by alizma: 1:14pm On Nov 17, 2021
UTILITYMAY:
Please just focus on your current work and forget about their threats. If they were the one to sack you, they won't give you notice and nothing will happen. They won't even care of the inconvenience(s) a loss of job would cause you. Now they are on the receiving end and they are threatening you. My man please focus and grow at your new place of work jare!

My comment is based on the information you provided. If you are sure you don't have any of their property with you and you did not steal. Then no cause for alarm. You have already forfeited half month salary and some savings, what then do they want?
That has been because employees rarely go to court but you and I know that the case will be different if the employer decides to go to court, especially if the guy is guilty by what is obtainable from his employment letter
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by VEHINTOLAR: 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:

NO BACKGROUND CHECK IS NEEDED HERE. I WAS RECALLED BY MY FORMER EMPLOYER I DID NOT GO TO A NEW ORGANISATION

You seem to have all the answers to your concerns if your response here is taken as a yardstick. You however don't necessarily have to type in cap while responding to suggestions or opinions; it's an insult !
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by bastardson: 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2021
The first company I worked with also did the same rubbish: I had intentionally refused to accept their confirmation latter due to the fact that I knew that I had no plans spending more that a year with them.

This was a company that had earlier wanted to fire me cuz they wanted me to assume my direct supervisor role. (A chartered accountant with 8yrs experience) I was just a fresh graduate then and couldn’t give them the same result he gave.

I lost faith in the company after that episode, even though I went on to prove myself and eventually became indispensable.

After I got a different offer, they wanted to match it, I refused and tendered my resignation. I resumed at the new place only for HR to send mail to my references that I owe them. Claiming I didn’t pay the 1 month in lieu.

I sent a mail to the MD warning them to never try that rubbish or I will drag them online
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by sabreal: 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2021
How many days notice were expected to give?

How many did you give.

Ordinary, you are supposed to be paid for the days of notice given

So clearly spell out what actually happened so you can get adequate advice.

In interim, tell the hr staff to tell/send to you how much you are owing and ask him tell explain.

Eg, if were supposed to give 14 days notice. You should be for the 14 days worked.

ayomilore:

Thanks.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by HRSweetness(f): 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:

NO BACKGROUND CHECK IS NEEDED HERE. I WAS RECALLED BY MY FORMER EMPLOYER I DID NOT GO TO A NEW ORGANISATION

So why are you yelling? undecided I hope you're usually not this aggressive at work? undecided
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by UTILITYMAY(m): 1:18pm On Nov 17, 2021
alizma:

That has been because employees rarely go to court but you and I know that the case will be different if the employer decides to go to court, especially if the guy is guilty by what is obtainable from his employment letter

...because they know most employees don't have the financial resources to go to court in most cases. Let them go to court if it worth it. But I am sure they won't because it does not worth it based on OP's story.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by HRSweetness(f): 1:20pm On Nov 17, 2021
Bigwig02:
When next the Hr called U...tell him to send u the company direct account number not his own personal account for refund and see his reaction

Good advice
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by culkid: 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:
I created a thread sometimes ago about a recall from my former place of work, a bigger firm in the same industry with better pay. I thereafter

Thanks.

You have to be very careful here, do not burn that bridge. You might need them for reference in future. Pay them what you owe them.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Childofaking: 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2021
Please do the proper thing here. Write to them to compute your salary for the half month you worked and net off your pay in lieu of notice.
if there is anything to pay back pay and if there is anything they should pay you, let them pay. But do it properly.

1 Like

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Bluntemperor: 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2021
sholatech:
You never can tell when previous employment background check can come up. If you owe them one month in lieu of resignation, kindly pay them and clear your records.

A very blunt message!
You should know the implications of 1month Salary in lieu of notice,as HR Professional,as this is to remove any negative from your confirmation,for the New Employer will surely ask to confirm how was your last position and performance in the Old Organization,as well as your behaviors and attitude to job as well as to your Colleagues at work!
You don't need a Lawyer for this ,it is known by HR Practictioners unless you are not one and failure to do the needful may not give you confirmation in you new place of work!
Do the needful and be saved from embarrassment!

1 Like

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by cooooooks(m): 1:24pm On Nov 17, 2021
He said they didn't pay him and he has savings with them.

How can he owe them?? Biko I am not understanding.

sholatech:
You never can tell when previous employment background check can come up. If you owe them one month in lieu of resignation, kindly pay them and clear your records.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Premiumwriter2: 1:25pm On Nov 17, 2021
Masterito:
What about plagiarism?
zero sir.

100% original
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:

Thanks.

Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by authority2006(m): 1:28pm On Nov 17, 2021
Xhuntra:

Lol. Wicked somebody
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by authority2006(m): 1:30pm On Nov 17, 2021
HRSweetness:

So why are you yelling?

Because he was disturbing and frustrating him?

undecided I hope you're usually not this aggressive at work? undecided

Yelling is aggressive? I don't blame you, you're a female.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by TheGift: 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2021
The main issue is what does your employment contract say? Except you disagree with how HR is interpreting your contract, you better comply.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by akanbiaa(m): 1:32pm On Nov 17, 2021
ayomilore:

Thanks.
You should have resigned formally, as things are now just make sure you fullfill the contract clause if it is one month salary but legally you need to prove you either paid them or written a letter that satisfied the time frame you left, discuss with the HR and also hear details of what is expected of you and see if it rhymes with the apointmet letter terms you signed.
Re: My Former HR Is Disturbing Me by Patented: 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2021
what does the contract of employment form your previous employer say about leaving before confirmation?
ayomilore:

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Airport PCRC Honours Josephine Ugwu, Cleaner Who Returned N12m (photo) / Bank Work Or Bolt Driver? / Diary Of A Pretend HR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.