Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Diary Of A Pretend HR - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Diary Of A Pretend HR (31149 Views)

Best HR Joke In The World!!! / Access Bank: HR Interview 2016 / What Secrets An HR Won’t Tell You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of A Pretend HR by Krysstie: 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2015
One of the most common Nigerian trend is for unemployed graduates to lament about sending out their CVs over a hundred times a month without getting a single feedback. They even curse the government for not giving them jobs.

What if I say most Nigerian graduates are unemployable? It’s high time you all stop disturbing the mailboxes of recruitment agencies and companies who have better things to do than reading your CVs.

I’m not a Human Resource manager, HR or whatever term they give to those people. I don’t run a recruitment agency. I’m just an observer in one corner of Lagos, almost as good as unemployed. Sometime last week I was opportune to help place a job ad and receive the CVs that come in. Receiving CVs is one of the most difficult part of being a HR. First, the job listing sites do not help matters. You place a job ad in one site because you don’t want your mailbox to overflow with CVs, then other job sites you never knew existed take it upon themselves to publish.

I was set for the excitement and fun that came with receiving CVs for the first time, so I let the job listing sites do what they please, without inkling that it would be a frustrating experience.

As the CVs began to troop in, all I expected was to get applicants who had the relevant job experience stated in the ad, but the reverse was the case. Why would you apply for a job you clearly know you’re not qualified?

The job experience contained in your CV is ‘bar attendant’, ‘sales officer’ and ‘lab attendant’, then you go ahead to apply for the role of web content developer. How does that work? Even if you’re graduate of Mass Communication, I’ll send your CV to trash. Sorry.

Several times I’ve called on people who are unemployed, to take up jobs as guest writers, volunteers and others, where they would be paid little or nothing, but they gain experience which they would include in their CVs. This suggestion of mine has always been turned down. Everyone wants money, not experience. This is why they keep carrying empty CVs, applying for jobs that require experience and having their CVs sent to trash almost all the time.

The most annoying part of my experience was when I felt really insulted. How on earth will you send your CV to multiple companies at the same time? First, you’re not qualified, then I see you sent your CV to my company, Dangote, FCMB and Chrisland schools’ recruitment email. This is just wrong. You don’t even stop there, you go ahead to send it with a funny subject like – ‘Here! My CV, for employment’.

Another version of this was the one who forwarded the application email he had just sent to another company. It doesn’t end there, the CV wasn’t in Microsoft word format, not in PDF, but pasted in the body of the email. Yes. That’s how bad it was.

You see, when the HR manager or whoever is receiving CVs get 20+ mails from unqualified individuals, the next question that comes to mind is, “Can I just get a few qualified applicants”? The moment about 5 qualified CVs arrive, that’s almost always the end of the show. If the HR is not as impatient as I am, he or she might decide to go through the frustrating experience of opening another 20+ unqualified CVs in a bid to wait for 5 more qualified applicants.

This is what happens when you’re qualified but never get called. There are tons of people applying, 80 percent of the CVs are empty and unqualified. Once the HR gets 5 percent of qualified applicants that he needs, the door closes and the remaining CVs might never get opened because it’s frustrating to open yet another scary document.

Again, I’m not a HR, but I have acted it, and it’s really frustrating to receive CVs. You’re 31 years of age, meaning you must have finished your Secondary School education many years ago. There’s no argument about that because you graduated from the University in 2009. Secondary School will definitely be a long time ago. Now, why bring it into your CV that you were a time keeper during your Secondary School days? Who cares about that? Does it relate to the job you’re applying for? Even if it does, no one will take a look at that.

Qualification and experience is stated in job ads, pay attention. Applying for jobs doesn’t mean sending your CV to whatever recruitment email you come across. It’s a serious business!
If your job application is not a serious business for you, it is for the HR. Don’t go about getting phone numbers from the websites of companies who place job ads. This might sound strange, but it’s real. You come across a job ad you’re qualified for, and instead of sending your CV to the email provided, you go ahead to the company’s website, pick a phone number that was provided for inquiry purpose and then call to give unwanted ‘gists’ about how qualified you are for the role. No one is interested. Save your airtime and send your CV!

The job recruitment and application process is just crazy! From just one job ad, over a 100 CVs are received. How about a solution? There should probably be a way to close the mailboxes after a maximum number of CVs has been received. It’s really frustrating for the HR, and also frustrating for you to keep applying for jobs month after month without feedback. Save your CV from a life in the trash folder. Get experience! Read the job ad over and over again to know if your qualification and experience fit! Make things easy for yourself and whoever is receiving the CVs.

You’re probably asking how on earth you’ll get experience if you don’t get employed? There are tons of jobs that do not require experience, take advantage of them and respect the wish of those who seek experienced applicants. I had fun receiving CVs as a pretend HR, but at this point, it’s no longer fun. The mailbox is weeping, and as frustrated as I am. Tell those still applying that it’s all over. Let them know they’ll never get a feedback. In fact, inform them that successful applicants have not only been selected, they’ve also resumed work.

All the best in your job search!

http://houseofmo.com/diary-of-a-pretend-hr/

53 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by davide470(m): 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by obinna2nv(m): 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2015
A mod beating me to FTC? Well ain't that a bit*h? Good write up though...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by ajasa4link: 6:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
op u try, the tone of ur write up is a little bit harsh

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by alaricsaltzman: 6:40pm On Jul 18, 2015
The secondary school timekeeper @ 31 years of age really got me lmao grin

This are the kind of things that are suppose to be on frontpage. Not irrelevant boring useless romance stories

28 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by obajoey(m): 8:29pm On Jul 18, 2015
nice write-up.
but one thing i got to know is that most HR lacks foresight expecially when it comes to interviewing candidate, they tend not to see beyond the way a prospective employee answers their questions, they fail to see the potentials in prospective employees.

just my opinion

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Cpumping(m): 9:03am On Jul 20, 2015
its just sad
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Adaahjacob(m): 7:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
I hate long notes, damn.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
Nigerian graduates are unemployable......on a serious note, how true is this statement

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
My space make I shit 1st
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
According to one certain HR,

"Most CV envelopes (hard copy), of people that manage to submit in person, or by proxy, are either saturated with Olive oil... or one tiny goodluck charm or the other..." undecided

we now live in the ERA, where people say "Its either I get the job, OR the HR goes blind" grin

These HRs, I feel their pain sha embarassed

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by okotv(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
The job sounds frustrating....I wouldn't fake it self

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Damalex4luv(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Never bothered to read all that. But am also a graduate of OAU and have been roaming the street of lagos for up to 8 months now without a job. Abeg if anybody fit get me a job i'll be glad ooo. Is not easy surviving without a job, life is just getting more and more frustrating on a daily basis. Abeg pm me oooo if you have anywhere you can hook me

6 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Op dont blame job applicants jorrr. The hustle is real

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Georgekyrian(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Okl
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
y
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by MrImole: 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
I like this.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Menace2Society(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
I got a date tonight grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by butanepro(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Whatever makes you sleep at night.......

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by DiegoNakel(m): 7:24pm On Jul 22, 2015
Keep up the good work !!!

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 22, 2015
ok
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by eleko1: 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
sad
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Princepri(m): 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
Op no make unemployed graduates ves' with you and curse you do you know the pain some of them go through after been jobless for a longtime after grauduating from the uni without a job still depending on their parents for their basic needs when it is them who supposed to feed their parents
I think you got to respect yourself because you are opportuned to be in an office or a ceo of an organisation does not make others your steeping stone.

do you need more traffic to your website or blog or you have goods and services you would like to showcase online then purchase our very interactive real facebook page in the niche comedy,entertainment and news of over 13,000 like at very affordable rate and you get our interactive unique facebook account of over 5,000 friends if interested quote me and drop your contact and i will contact you

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Dahcodex: 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
Yaga
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by kennyman2000(m): 7:26pm On Jul 22, 2015
Learnt something new. Thanks OP..
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by RichDad1(m): 7:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
Which way Nigeria?
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by datola: 7:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
Yes, It’s high time you all stopped disturbing the mailboxes of recruitment agencies and companies who have better things to do than reading your CVs

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
All iz well
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by idbami2(m): 7:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
Enlighteningg

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by frinx: 7:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
INFORMATIVE....tnx

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 22, 2015
This does not make any sense to me. The employable graduates know what to do and so does the HR manager.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Maltreatment Of MTN Call Center Agents At Mayfair Gardens / My Former HR Is Disturbing Me / Airport PCRC Honours Josephine Ugwu, Cleaner Who Returned N12m (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.