Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance (598 Views)

"Fathala Wildlife Reserve In Senegal" Where You Can Chill With A Lion With A St / My Trip To Federal College Of Wildlife Management, Niger State / Amazing Photos From Around The World - Weird World Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by DejiPlug(m): 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2021
Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance in 150 years (photos)- IFLSCIENCE.

The Shelley’s eagle owl (Bubo shelleyi) swooped back into the public eye after a 150-year hiatus, making its long-awaited reappearance in Ghana. The species, dubbed the “holy grail” of giant owls, has evidently been lurking in the shadows of African rainforests for the last 150 years, having not been formally sighted since the 1870s. 

Though large, these birds are well camouflaged for arboreal life and so it would still have been easy to miss. Thankfully, this particular individual didn’t go unnoticed by Dr Joseph Tobias from the Department of Life Sciences at Imperial College London, and freelance ecologist Dr Robert Williams, who managed to secure a fitting profile shot.

“It was so large, at first we thought it was an eagle,” Dr Tobias said in a statement. “Luckily it perched on a low branch and when we lifted our binoculars our jaws dropped. There is no other owl in Africa’s rainforests that big."

The photo was able to confirm the Shelley’s eagle owl’s identity owing to the bird exhibiting its characteristic features, which include distinctive black eyes, a yellow bill, and its enormous size. The species is currently considered to be vulnerable to extinction, with its key threats including habitat degradation due to human activity. With a population that’s estimated to sit at just a few thousand members, conservationists hope the owl’s latest appearance will motivate fresh efforts to save the species.

The expression Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), is a globally accepted tool used by environmental experts to systematically assess the cause-effect relationship between development activities and environmental sustainability as man continues his widespread and almost unabated development of his immediate environment.

Dr. Benard Omoyeni is the Author of the renowned EIA book titled: Principles and Application of Environmental Impact Assessment, a book that is widely circulated among the tertiary institutions of learning in Nigeria and accepted for sales on Amazon.com.

1 Like

Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by Myzubby(m): 7:55pm On Nov 16, 2021
if na my country dem for done shoot am post am for NL and dey go come blame sapa .
Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by ChiefSosa(m): 8:09pm On Nov 16, 2021
Owls are super scary. You won't understand until you see one, especially when they're turning their heads.
Imagine seeing this particular owl in my compound...I will just move out. I may even relocate to another City.

3 Likes

Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by MRDEE01: 8:11pm On Nov 16, 2021
If seen at night it's a witch. Ask village people. grin
Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by WoundedLamb: 8:26pm On Nov 16, 2021
Really? Owls are normally beautiful. This one is not.
Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by MRDEE01: 8:30pm On Nov 16, 2021
If seen at night it's a witch. Ask village people. grin
Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by DICKstractor: 8:30pm On Nov 16, 2021
undecided

I have a tender spot in my heart for animals that are considered creepy in Nigeria

I'll like getting an owl and a cat for a pet.
Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by YeyeGbami: 8:52pm On Nov 16, 2021
Beautiful bird

1 Like

Re: Weird World (wildlife): Unseen Rare Owl Makes First Public Appearance by blessedchild234(m): 6:58am On Nov 17, 2021
ChiefSosa:
Owls are super scary. You won't understand until you see one, especially when they're turning their heads.
Imagine seeing this particular owl in my compound...I will just move out. I may even change to another City.
and big

(1) (Reply)

New Anambra Airport Records 142 Flights, 3,865 Passengers In One Month / Supermarket BANS All Unvaccinated Aussies From Shopping For Groceries / Let's Meet If You Are In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.