Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,048 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw (2338 Views)

INC Withdraws Support For Wike, Demands Apology To Ijaw Nation / Anambra Oil Producing Communities Belong To Ijaw / If The Kingdom Of Opobo Is Ijaw, Where Is King Jaja Of Opobo From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Pass11: 1:03pm On Nov 20, 2021
Ijaw landgrabbing act has landed in urhobo soil cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Ujunwaa12(f): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2021
Is possible shocked
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by boyfrank: 1:51pm On Nov 20, 2021
Ijaw and benin e-warriors seem to be on steroids

5 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by mancoconut: 2:16pm On Nov 20, 2021
Ijaws and Edos have to be the most irritating minority groups ever, na dem dey claim every ethnic groups in Nigeria even when their facts (or lack thereof) defies logic and common sense... the Ijaws especially have become particularly more annoying and desperate with their expansionist agendas... very useless bunch of desperadoes.

11 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by SlayerForever: 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2021
Efewestern, Sanchez01, frathermathy
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by SlayerForever: 3:30pm On Nov 20, 2021
boyfrank:

4 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Ujunwaa12(f): 5:02pm On Nov 20, 2021
grin
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Captain8(m): 7:35pm On Nov 20, 2021
mancoconut:
Ijaws and Edos have to be the most irritating minority groups ever, na dem dey claim every ethnic groups in Nigeria even when their facts (or lack thereof) defies logic and common sense... the Ijaws especially have become particularly more annoying and desperate with their expansionist agendas... very useless bunch of desperadoes.
mumu
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by michelz: 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2021
Well, it is their problem. Some few years ago on this forum, they both ganged up against Igbos. They were everywhere postulating and grandstanding against Igbos in the name of " our oyel" and" niger delta".
Now, they are claiming almost everywhere in Niger Delta. Not my business.

9 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 10:19pm On Nov 20, 2021
Both Urhobo and ijaw can go to hell

4 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 10:20pm On Nov 20, 2021
michelz:
Well, it is their problem. Some few years ago on this forum, they both ganged up against Igbos. They were everywhere postulating and grandstanding against Igbos in the name of " our oyel" and" niger delta".
Now, they are claiming almost everywhere in Niger Delta. Not my business.
God bless you so much you have said it all cool

2 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Christistruth00: 12:28am On Nov 21, 2021
Urhobos migrated from Benin when one Benin Oba was Stressing everyone too much

So they decided to hit the road and didn’t return to Benin no more
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by lalajnr(m): 5:12am On Nov 21, 2021
Nwanyiogwashi:
Both Urhobo and ijaw can go to hell
You and you landlock dry land can go to grave Ndi Dot
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by lalajnr(m): 5:13am On Nov 21, 2021
Nwanyiogwashi:

God bless you so much you have said it all cool
so who invited you to this thread in the first place Ndi Dot always show there miserable life everywhere

2 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Efewestern: 7:12am On Nov 21, 2021
Christistruth00:
Urhobos migrated from Benin when one Benin Oba was Stressing everyone too much

So they decided to hit the road and didn’t return to Benin no more

Not all Urhobos were of Bini Origin, no ethnic group as big as Urhobo can claim they had a single ancestors. Some urhobo clans had a mixture of Ijaw ancestors, especially those around the Ughelli axis. I made a post about this yesterday.

Several Ijaw clans also had Urhobo ancestors, like the Kiagbodo people. Even the Epie people in Bayelsa were of Urhobo/Edo origin. Migration of people back then was just so inevitable.

So yes, the OP was partially correct.

Cc: SlayerForever

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:04am On Nov 21, 2021
After causing enmity between Yorubas and Igbos online, the next target of the BMC supporter of APC îmbeciles was the Ijaw and Igbo, we kept quiet then the bástards came up with Ijaw vs Benin kingdom, we still kept quiet and now the fóols have come up with Ijaw vs Urhobo. They keep calling us "land grabbers" because we keep quiet to their insults but I curse them down to the very last day they spend on earth, may they weep and gnash their teeth without consolation till they die miserable deaths after a long hard life cool

3 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:07am On Nov 21, 2021
mancoconut:
[s]Ijaws and Edos have to be the most irritating minority groups ever, na dem dey claim every ethnic groups in Nigeria even when their facts (or lack thereof) defies logic and common sense... the Ijaws especially have become particularly more annoying and desperate with their expansionist agendas... very useless bunch of desperadoes.[/s]
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 21, 2021
Efewestern:

Not all Urhobos were of Bini Origin, no ethnic group as big as Urhobo can claim they had a single ancestors. Some urhobo clans had a mixture of Ijaw ancestors, especially those around the Ughelli axis. I made a post about this yesterday.

Several Ijaw clans also had Urhobo ancestors, like the Kiagbodo people. Even the Epie people in Bayelsa were of Urhobo/Edo origin. Migration of people back then was just so inevitable.

So yes, the OP was partially correct.

Cc: SlayerForever
You guys need to stop guessing history.
You just said a bunch of nonsense.
If you didn't know, it takes DNA tests to claim all the rubbish which you said with confidence as if you were 900 years old and witnessed your ancestors.
Look, if you knew anything about history then you would know that ijos didn't mix with anybody at all, according to all the eyewitness account which I have read, the ancestors of the ijos were pirates ! When they "migrated" anywhere, they were either chased by the army of the kingdom or the locals, either the locals fled, either the ijaw commited genocide.
This is one of the reasons the ijos had almost no lands, they were very nomadic, being chased from one area to an other by local armies and peoples.

Stop guessing history, punk.

What we know is that Urhobo tradition is the same as their other Edo brothers and also that the Urhobo language is the same as their other Edo brothers and also that Urhobo were part of Benin empire according to precolonial maps.
Even Urhobo oral story claims they migrated from Benin. So man, stop being a punk.

3 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by ThEGodFaThEr104: 11:22am On Nov 21, 2021
lalajnr:
You and you landlock dry land can go to grave Ndi Dot
Shaarap, ewu.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Dartilo(m): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2021
Do you know that there is a popular claim that Urohbo speaks the ancient idu language...

Idu is same as Edo
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 21, 2021
Dartilo:
Do you know that there is a popular claim that Urohbo speaks the ancient idu language...

Idu is same as Edo
And when exactly did the name "idu" appear ?
The Urhobo speak a version of Edo language.
There is no such thing as "idu".
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 21, 2021
What people keep forgetting is that as from the 1400's the region was visited by literate people and those people called made maps and even called the sea: "Bight of Benin", not bight of yoruba nor bight of ijaw, nor bight of whatever. So I would really want to understand where all these attempts at denying Benin's past is coming from.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by lalajnr(m): 11:47am On Nov 21, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr104:

Shaarap, ewu.
shutdown bush fowl
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Dartilo(m): 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2021
Truthvalue41:

And when exactly did the name "idu" appear ?
The Urhobo speak a version of Edo language.
There is no such thing as "idu".

Bro,firstly let discuss and not argue and I don't trade insult plz....having said that....
1.Yes it's generally blv that Urohbo are ediod

2.Edo was first used as a name of the empire by Oba Ewaure the first in the 14th century

3.Urhobo migrated way before Ewaure came into power

4.The ancient name of Edo is,Aka or idu or igodo or igodomogodo

5.If truly urhobo left became the empire name was change,then why not refer to it as the name they are familiar with....

Don't get me wrong am not here to cause argument okay
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Dartilo(m): 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2021
Truthvalue41:
What people keep forgetting is that as from the 1400's the region was visited by literate people and those people called made maps and even called the sea: "Bight of Benin", not bight of yoruba nor bight of ijaw, nor bight of whatever. So I would really want to understand where all these attempts at denying Benin's past is coming from.

One thing is fact Bro,Benin was on his own level in ancient time in these past of the world...No matter how history is distorted it can't be changed....As far as Ado Ekiti was under Benin,way into Lagos......
Same to the east of Onitsha...Even Igala fell to the power of the Edo....it was called bight of Benin because although Benin in the interior but was controlling those area greatly.....

Benin should be a Pride to southern Nigeria No doubt

4 Likes

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 21, 2021
Dartilo:

Bro,firstly let discuss and not argue and I don't trade insult plz....having said that....
1.Yes it's generally blv that Urohbo are ediod

2.Edo was first used as a name of the empire by Oba Ewaure the first in the 14th century

3.Urhobo migrated way before Ewaure came into power

4.The ancient name of Edo is,Aka or idu or igodo or igodomogodo

5.If truly urhobo left became the empire name was change,then why not refer to it as the name they are familiar with....

Don't get me wrong am not here to cause argument okay

2) nobody actually knows what was taking place before the first written records of the region were written. All you can do is extrapolate from the first written records of the region. (1400's, that is the 15th century).

3)I don't know why this is the case but most Nigerians, you included mistake fairytales with history, it seems Nigerian education is to blame. The story of migration is just a story. The land in which the Urhobo live is actually part of Benin kingdom/empire. Some of you guys confuse Benin city with Benin kingdom. Benin city is the capital of Benin kingdom, just like Paris is the capital of France. The story of migration is a parable not to be taken literally, basically it means the Urhobo are sons of the Oba like all their Edo brothers are.

4) aka, idu and igodomigodo are made up names, there is no "ancient name". Benin empire was called by different names by the people within and outside it. "Benin" was one of the names, "Ado" is an other one.

I respect your hustle bro, but understand that I have been making all these corrections on nairaland for years and up to today, I still see many people make the exact same mistakes on nairaland, it is frustrating.
Nigerian educational system is total nonesense.

Anyways, I am getting frustrated with nairaland and Nigerians, it is not your fault bro, I have wasted way too much time in here. Take care and be blessed. May God bless your family as well.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by valirex: 1:37pm On Nov 21, 2021
boyfrank:

Ọzuọ wetin concern Benin for this matter mūmū
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by valirex: 1:38pm On Nov 21, 2021
mancoconut:

What concerns Ẹdo in this matter? Mūmū
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by valirex: 1:43pm On Nov 21, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
After causing enmity between Yorubas and Igbos online, the next target of the BMC supporter of APC îmbeciles was the Ijaw and Igbo, we kept quiet then the bástards came up with Ijaw vs Benin kingdom, we still kept quiet and now the fóols have come up with Ijaw vs Urhobo. They keep calling us "land grabbers" because we keep quiet to their insults but I curse them down to the very last day they spend on earth, may they weep and gnash their teeth without consolation till they die miserable deaths after a long hard life cool

Seriously I am seeing a pattern, you are right.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Efewestern: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2021
Truthvalue41:

You guys need to stop guessing history.
You just said a bunch of nonsense.
If you didn't know, it takes DNA tests to claim all the rubbish which you said with confidence as if you were 900 years old and witnessed your ancestors.
Look, if you knew anything about history then [s]you would know that ijos didn't mix with anybody at all, according to all the eyewitness account which I have read, the ancestors of the ijos were pirates ! [/s]When they "migrated" anywhere, they were either chased by the army of the kingdom or the locals, either the locals fled, either the ijaw commited genocide.
This is one of the reasons the ijos had almost no lands, they were very nomadic, being chased from one area to an other by local armies and peoples.

Stop guessing history, punk.

What we know is that Urhobo tradition is the same as their other Edo brothers and also that the Urhobo language is the same as their other Edo brothers and also that Urhobo were part of Benin empire according to precolonial maps.
Even Urhobo oral story claims they migrated from Benin. So man, stop being a punk.

It looks like you are Ijawphobic and unfortunately I don't share your tribal isssh, I am just here to discuss culture and not to get myself soaked in any tribal supremacism .

First, the Ijaws weren't pirates, they are indigenous to the Delta as any group occupying that territory today.

Secondly, the Ijaws had mix with almost every ethic group in southern Nigeria which is event in their languages.

Ooopss, You just said I guessed history, how ignorantly can you assume. That the Urhobos migrated from Bini (Aka) doesn't mean that never had ancestors from other places, no major ethnic group traces its origin to just a single place, it beats common sense and logic.

Tribal ethnicity grows due to fusion of people from various places, Kiagbodo is an Ijaw town that shares ancestral linkage with Olomu (Ughelli), an urhobo town. Infact, till date, Kiagbodo still speak both the Urhobo and Ijaw language. The likes of Chief Edwin Clark (A Kiagbodo son) was once a member of UPU until recently. In Sagbama LGA of Bayelsa State, we have several of these inter-ancestral linkage between the Urhobos and Ijaws, and it is this connection that birthed some Urhobo communities such as Ofoni. Epie, another sub-ijaw groups were also of Urhobo/Edo origin that got fused with the aboriginal Ijaws.

What other scientific prove do you need despite these glaring facts?

@bolded, if you want to engage me in anything, you should do away of foul words. Happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 21, 2021
Efewestern:

It looks like you are Ijawphobic and unfortunately I don't share your tribal isssh, I am just here to discuss culture and not to get myself soaked in any tribal supremacism .

First, the Ijaws weren't pirates, they are indigenous to the Delta as any group occupying that territory today.

Secondly, the Ijaws had mix with almost every ethic group in southern Nigeria which is event in their languages.

Ooopss, You just said I guessed history, how ignorantly can you assume. That the Urhobos migrated from Bini (Aka) doesn't mean that never had ancestors from other places, no major ethnic group traces its origin to just a single place, it beats common sense and logic.

Tribal ethnicity grows due to fusion of people from various places, Kiagbodo is an Ijaw town that shares ancestral linkage with Olomu (Ughelli), an urhobo town. Infact, till date, Kiagbodo still speak both the Urhobo and Ijaw language. The likes of Chief Edwin Clark (A Kiagbodo son) was once a member of UPU until recently. In Sagbama LGA of Bayelsa State, we have several of these inter-ancestral linkage between the Urhobos and Ijaws, and it is this connection that birthed some Urhobo communities such as Ofoni. Epie, another sub-ijaw groups were also of Urhobo/Edo origin that got fused with the aboriginal Ijaws.

What other scientific prove do you need despite these glaring facts?

@bolded, if you want to engage me in anything, you should do away of foul words. Happy Sunday.

Eyewitness writen precolonial text:

"...of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates."

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5806879x.r=Y%C3%A9bou?rk=21459;2

"ouyos" refers to ijo.

I hate talking to illiterates like you who spend their time perfecting the art of pretending. You know nothing about history. Just be honnest and stop writing rubbish. Every eye witness account shows the ijo to be pirates in the precolonial era. Even today they are still pirates !!!
So keep your feelings aside and look at facts, also stop pretending you know what you clearly don't.
Stop guessing history and start smartifying yourself.

I see you even want to start calling yourself a "scientist"...why do the dumbest people always try to parade themselves as if they were Albert Einstein ?

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by boyfrank: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
valirex:

Ọzuọ wetin concern Benin for this matter mūmū

Onuku, that's exactly how ridiculous benin people sound when they start claiming almost everywhere down south.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iyiola Omisore (osun State) Is The New National Secretary Of APC / Sit-at-home: Police Stations Locked In Enugu As Officers Comply (pictures) / Apostle Johnson Suleiman Joins Peter Obi Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.