Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw (2333 Views)

INC Withdraws Support For Wike, Demands Apology To Ijaw Nation / Anambra Oil Producing Communities Belong To Ijaw / If The Kingdom Of Opobo Is Ijaw, Where Is King Jaja Of Opobo From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 21, 2021
michelz:

Yes, it doesn't mean much that he wore an outfit similar to that of an Oba of Benin. It could be that he simply copied the Oba's mode of dressing and nothing more. Cultures copy from one another; so it is not strange. Even the present Oba, I bet, has one or two elements in his regalia that he borrowed from somewhere else. It doesn't mean that he is not autonomous.
As per your last statement, honestly, that doesn't count, even slightly.
I was hoping for, maybe, a documented account from a neutral source of how Agbor and Onitsha were once under the sovereignity of Benin.
How about that map you mentioned?

Yeah, "maybe he just copied the Oba of Benin"...
I guess the Obi's chiefs also copied the Benin beeds system...
You know there is a thing called probabilities, it is a science which tends to prove that too much coincidences hardly appear in nature.

As for your pretending to be blind, a precolonial map of the region is above. Let me post it again.
I think it is time you stop wasting my time.

Why do deluded people on nairaland always gravitate towards me ? Clearly you have an anti Benin bias, just know that and move on. You can't change history. People who could write already visited the region in the precolonial era and wrote down a bunch of documents, they also drew maps.

Oh wait, you will soon bring out your "it doesn't mean anything".
Ok let me educate you: Benin empire was invaded by the British in 1897, meanin that the 1930's was just 30 years after Benin empire were invaded. The uniform of the Obi of Agbor(which he inherited from his father who witnessed the invasion of Benin empire) in the 1930's is the same as that of the Oba of Benin. Your explanation: he might have just copied... Perhaps you mean his ancestors "might have just copied"...
I guess the bight of Benin might have just copied also, and the Oba of Lagos might also have just copied, every monarch all around copying the Oba of Benin...because one angel spoke to their ears and said: you must copy...

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by michelz: 11:29pm On Nov 21, 2021
Truthvalue41:

Yeah, "maybe he just copied the Oba of Benin"...
As for your pretending to be blind, a precolonial map of the region is above.
What I see in that map of yours are just some markings and drawings with the words " Gabon", "Benin" and others. Nothing there says that all those areas were under Benin ( That is, if we are even to accept that it is the same Benin of our discussion). My point is: that map doesn't cut it at all and every unbiased observer will acknowledge that. Don't tell me that you can't find any shred of reasonable evidence of the claim you made from anywhere on the internet.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 21, 2021
michelz:

What I see in that map of yours are just some markings and drawings with the words " Gabon", "Benin" and others. Nothing there says that all those areas were under Benin ( That is, if we are even to accept that it is the same Benin of our discussion). My point is: that map doesn't cut it at all and every unbiased observer will acknowledge that. Don't tell me that you can't find any shred of reasonable evidence of the claim you made from anywhere on the internet.

Which Benin might it be ?
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 21, 2021
michelz:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714/f1.item.r=Royaume%20du%20Benin.zoom

1) I have many more precolonial maps of the region in stock, I am just letting you repeat your "it doesn't mean anything" until you realize you are in denial.

2) what Benin might it be kid ?

So far, your excuses have been:
1)the ancestral uniform if the Obi means nothing
2) the fatherly role played by the Oba of Benin in the coronation of the Obi of Agbor means nothing
3) the oral stories mean nothing
4) the map doesn't cut it

Waiting for your new excuse...

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by michelz: 11:52pm On Nov 21, 2021
Truthvalue41:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714/f1.item.r=Royaume%20du%20Benin.zoom

1) I have many more precolonial maps of the region in stock, I am just letting you repeat your "it doesn't mean anything" until you realize you are in denial.

If you have something worthwhile, why don't you post it instead of running around in circles?
So far, the maps don't support the claim you made.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 21, 2021
michelz:

If you have something worthwhile, why don't you post it instead of running around in circles?
So far, the maps don't support the claim you made.
1) you still haven't said which Benin it might be
2) you said "Nothing there says that all those areas were under Benin", I have just provided you with a map in which the borders are clearly defined, but it still "doesn't cut it" ? May I know the new reason ?

3) you said "That is, if we are even to accept that it is the same Benin of our discussion", so please, which Benin might it be ?

4) just say no amount of evidence will make you change your mind, you are in denial and facts just don't matter to you.

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by michelz: 12:07am On Nov 22, 2021
Truthvalue41:

So far, your excuses have been:
1)the ancestral uniform if the Obi means nothing
2) the fatherly role played by the Oba of Benin in the coronation of the Obi of Agbor means nothing
3) the oral stories mean nothing
4) the map doesn't cut it

Waiting for your new excuse...
These are not excuses. You can't just throw up some picture of the Obi of Agbor dressed in a regalia similar to that of the Oba and claim that he was under the sovereignity of the Oba because of that. There's no where in the academic world it would pass for an evidence. At best, you could say it is a pointer but I could also claim that the Oba copied from the Obi and as such was under the Obi.
As per the so-called oral accounts (that nobody deemed fit to document, even the cartographers of your maps), even a grade one pupil knows that they count for nothing.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 22, 2021
michelz:

These are not excuses. You can't just throw up some picture of the Obi of Agbor dressed in a regalia similar to that of the Oba and claim that he was under the sovereignity of the Oba because of that. There's no where in the academic world it would pass for an evidence. At best, you could say it is a pointer but I could also claim that the Oba copied from the Obi and as such was under the Obi.
As per the so-called oral accounts (that nobody deemed fit to document, even the cartographers of your maps), even a grade one pupil knows that they count for nothing.

Most people who use the expression "academic" didn't do well at school. You keep skipping questions, let me refresh your memory:

Truthvalue41:

1) you still haven't said which Benin it might be
2) you said "Nothing there says that all those areas were under Benin", I have just provided you with a map in which the borders are clearly defined, but it still "doesn't cut it" ? May I know the new reason ?

3) you said "That is, if we are even to accept that it is the same Benin of our discussion", so please, which Benin might it be ?

4) just say no amount of evidence will make you change your mind, you are in denial and facts just don't matter to you.

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 22, 2021

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 12:43am On Nov 22, 2021
So the name of the Obi of Agbor in the 1930's was Gbenoba, so Mr academia, did the Obi copy his name from the Oba of Benin or did the Oba of Benin copy his title from the name of the Obi ?
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Dartilo(m): 12:51am On Nov 22, 2021
There is fact,and it will always speak no matter how we try to hide to suit our eagle...
Benin was an empire with so many vassal of wic agbor was part of....Do rulling families of agbor and all the cheif are descendants from Benin.....Even in the late 18th century the last independent king of Benin Ovoramwen invaded agbor and subdue their rascality....In Benin History

1 Like

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by michelz: 1:23am On Nov 22, 2021
Truthvalue41:

Most people who use the expression "academic" didn't do well at school. You keep skipping questions, let me refresh your memory:

I asked for simple evidence for your outrageous claims but you'd rather throw infantile insults while spamming everywhere with your meaningless maps. Where is your evidence that Onitsha and Agbor were under Benin at some time in history?
You think this is your village tales by moonlight where you gather gullible villagers and feed them with lies?
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 1:41am On Nov 22, 2021
Correction:
michelz:

I asked for simple evidence for your outrageous claims but you'd rather throw infantile insults while spamming everywhere with your meaningless evidence. Where is your evidence that Onitsha and Agbor were under Benin at some time in history?
You think this is your village tales by moonlight where you gather gullible villagers and feed them with lies?

When someone is mute, it becomes pointless to wait for that person to talk, when someone is blind, it becomes pointless to wait for that person to tell you if your outfit fits you. When someone is in denial, it becomes pointless to expect that person to be reasonable.

1) I'm a mathematician
2) I'm a teacher
3) I live in Paris

So your village talk doesn't apply to me, this makes me think you were describing yourself and therefore projecting your reality into me: to accuse your opponents of your own vices.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2021
Malawian:

Ordinary Agbor was never under Benin, let alone Onitsha. Even Benin Oba told the Portuguese that Nri Kingdom in the east was the greatest kingdom around there.

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2021
michelz:

Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by tutudesz: 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2021
Efewestern:

Not all Urhobos were of Bini Origin, no ethnic group as big as Urhobo can claim they had a single ancestors. Some urhobo clans had a mixture of Ijaw ancestors, especially those around the Ughelli axis. I made a post about this yesterday.

Several Ijaw clans also had Urhobo ancestors, like the Kiagbodo people. Even the Epie people in Bayelsa were of Urhobo/Edo origin. Migration of people back then was just so inevitable.

So yes, the OP was partially correct.

Cc: SlayerForever
Inter marriage between Ijaw and Urhobo was popular back in the days.
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Oshin56(m): 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2022
Ujunwaa12:
grin
ma'am I quote you from another topic, you mail me on job&vacancy post I can't access my e-mail but we can talk on 0eight0five8three4zero2three2
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Ujunwaa12(f): 1:30pm On Jun 10, 2022
Oshin56:
ma'am I quote you from another topic, you mail me on job&vacancy post I can't access my e-mail but we can talk on 0eight0five8three4zero2three2
please is Nsitf calling for apl yet
Re: Urhobo Is Ijaw People According To Ijaw by Stoplying: 7:59pm On Jan 22

So the Obi of Agbor having the same precolonial uniform as the Oba of Benin and his other vassals means nothing ?

The one sector that hardly gets corrupted is the monarchy.

Also, the current Obi of Agbor ascended the throne of his father thanks to the intervention of the Oba of Benin.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

C / Pastor Kumuyi Advises Politicians On Choice Of Running Mates / 2023: Obi Is The Only One Not Contesting 2 Regions With Anyone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.