Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. (2733 Views)

Uncle Peter, Coastal Road Is Happening And Will Happen. God Bless Nigeria / How Can You See What's Happening And Still Vote APC? / Leaders Like Obasanjo Dont Seem To Enjoy Much Respect In Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by zanshi: 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2021
Ever watched one of those spy movies where the bad guy maps out a nifty plan to breach a security protocol to steal data a troove of data unoticed, this reminds me of the popular TV show "Mr Robot" who is a nerdy computer hacker and along with his hacker group "F_s0c13ty" wiped out the financial data of the county and people woke up the next day to a cyber attack that made life unbearable, you can relate it to having your phone stolen or your computer crashing and you can't even backup your data.

The federal govt of Nigeria has been rather reckless with the registration of the NIN data capuring exercise. Nigeria is really a populous country and if there is anything we struggle to do in this part of the world is efficiency, when you bring efficiency into the mix, it cuts back on time, and gives you speed as a leverage to monitor things in real time. The NIN servers as a social identifier that gives you access to some social services and should not be handled by random sub contractors who just take a tent under the tree, get their laptop and charge for services that are presumed to be free and most likely budgeted for. The crux of my argument is that have we carried out an extensive security analysis to ensure if our data is being handled securely and not being sold to bad actors? Because a cyber breach of this magnitude would be embarassing for the most populous black country in Africa. With #1000 i was mandated to pay to register for a govt data capturing exercise that was suposedly free, so if i was a crime gang boss, and i opt to pay an NIN agent to compromise and hand me over data for over 3k people would there be punishment for folks like that who err? Do the NIN agents take an oath to safe guard the data that they look over.

I am of the opinion that the NIN exercise is too simplistic to register, and that bad actors could could register on it so as to have dual or multiple identities so bad that they can even use it to register multiple bank accounts for money laundering activities, multiple passports and so on. Plus for the fact that we share a boundary with other African nations, folks from Benin, Togo and it's environs could come here lie about their names, address and place of origin so as to have an NIN ID card, violla there you have it. Nigeria has become the easiest country to become a citizen just with #1000 note. When you become a citizen in America by birth, you get assigned a Social ID number which is a unique identifier to such child, and also in cases where you file for citizenship. Who knows how many non Nigerians have an NIN numbers by just strolling to a canopy and with #1k they are citizens.

Data is the new oil, and we owe it as a responsibility to be safeguard data with our life. Cyberwarfare can be catastrophic and can be embarrassing in ways you can't imagine. Hacker groups like Lazarus group, Our mine, Fancy bear and Moses staff are working round the clock as undermine governments and compromise national security.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by Ussycool: 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2021
A
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by 3ple9ine(m): 7:06pm On Nov 20, 2021
Even foreigners from Niger republic registered as Nigerians.

I asked one of those people who collect money from people to do it why he is collecting money from people.

He said his boss bought the software so they have to make profit.

7 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by tsdarkside(m): 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2021
nigerians are docile....we all know that....they will eventualy wake up and then mess all the place up....

2 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by Timagex(m): 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2021
Na today?
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by dawnomike(m): 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2021
Unfortunately, Nigeria has no security plans... We are all on our own if there is ever a data breach.

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by Kiddogarcia(m): 8:57pm On Nov 20, 2021
Thought about this recently

2 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by metroid(m): 9:47pm On Nov 20, 2021
Passport office is even more porous
Anybody can pay the unofficial price and the Nigerian passport will be issued to them without questions asked

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by revived: 10:19pm On Nov 20, 2021
E be many things

E go be

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by orisa37: 10:37pm On Nov 20, 2021
3ple9ine:

I asked one of those people who collect money from people to do it why he is collecting money from people.

PANTAMI.

3 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by orisa37: 10:43pm On Nov 20, 2021
BMF-BOKOISWA, PANTAMI, THE NETWORK OPERATORS NIMC, CBN, AND RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY POLICY ARE WINNING THEIR NEFARIOUS PLAN
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by orisa37: 10:47pm On Nov 20, 2021
BMF-BOKOISWA, PANTAMI, THE NETWORK OPERATORS NIMC, CBN, AND RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY POLICY ARE WINNING THEIR NEFARIOUS PLAN.

THE PLOT IS TO. INTEGRATE NIGERIA WITH NIGER REPUBLIC AND OIC

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by StaffofOrayan(m): 10:49pm On Nov 20, 2021
Lmfao at 'national security'
You guys love to live in delusion!
A part of the nation is controlled by terrorists!!

2 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by padi94(m): 12:02am On Nov 21, 2021
As far as breach of data is concerned, you can't steall using the acces these subcontractors have, you need a higher access to do that... Even if it's you that capture that Data.
How it works is that once you submit to the server you can access or alter it again.

Registration of foreigners is allowed the NIN is for all Legal residents of the country not only for Nigerian.

If you lie on the NIN capture process you will hv to carry that lie on for the rest of your life, where such person will hv issues is when the need to use the NIN to do something important that is when there will be problem. And you can't capture twice, it's a crime, even if you use different names. The system will detect cos of biometric never lies thumbprints is one and the same throughout a lifetime.
The system uses facial recognition as well so repetition will Couse the system to push such into In processing error.

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by zanshi: 12:20am On Nov 21, 2021
3ple9ine:

Just Imagine
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by zanshi: 12:32am On Nov 21, 2021
padi94:
As far as breach of data is concerned, you can't steall using the acces these subcontractors have, you need a higher access to do that... Even if it's you that capture that Data.
How it works is that once you submit to the server you can access or alter it again.

Registration of foreigners is allowed the NIN is for all Legal residents of the country not only for Nigerian.

If you lie on the NIN capture process you will hv to carry that lie on for the rest of your life, where such person will hv issues is when the need to use the NIN to do something important that is when there will be problem. And you can't capture twice, it's a crime, even if you use different names. The system will detect cos of biometric never lies thumbprints is one and the same throughout a lifetime.
The system uses facial recognition as well so repetition will Couse the system to push such into In processing error.

Let me give you a shocker did you know that folks in the intelligence community have a problem using AI to capture black folks effectively when it comes to mass surveilance?
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by dasparrow: 12:42am On Nov 21, 2021
Nigerians never care about anything until it affects them personally and individually.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by goatandyam: 3:50am On Nov 21, 2021
Head of communications ministry na fulani terrorist.

Head of NIMC sef na fulani terrorist.

Even the president na fulani terrorist.

So dafuck do you expect? You ve got idiots and terrorists managing things for you.

That thing as good as it looks is going to get destroyed soon enough.

2 Likes

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by udede(m): 5:02am On Nov 21, 2021
StaffofOrayan:
Lmfao at 'national security'
You guys love to live in delusion!
A part of the nation is controlled by terrorists!!
Sorry guy, the country as a whole is ruled by a terrorist
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by Spy360(m): 5:54am On Nov 21, 2021
Thank God there is hope when the Sun Rises.
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by BigDawsNet: 6:15am On Nov 21, 2021
metroid:
Passport office is even more porous
Anybody can pay the unofficial price and the Nigerian passport will be issued to them without questions asked

I don't want to believe that

I know a white woman married to a Nigerian and both have been living in the country for years...

She didn't qualify to get one yet
She only move around with a Resident Permit
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by padi94(m): 7:22am On Nov 21, 2021
zanshi:

Let me give you a shocker did you know that folks in the intelligence community have a problem using AI to capture black folks effectively when it comes to mass surveilance?

Why? Cos all blacks look alike or what?... But we HV one that does face recognition and face match and so far it's been effective.
Even on whites sometimes these tech fail... It uses parameters which improves overtime.
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by a4cube: 7:49am On Nov 21, 2021
BigDawsNet:

I don't want to believe that

I know a white woman married to a Nigerian and both have been living in the country for years...

She didn't qualify to get one yet
She only move around with a Resident Permit
because she is white. If she happen to be from Senegal or black America and can speak any Nigerian lingo, no one questions any further.
Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 21, 2021
zanshi:
Ever watched one of those spy movies where the bad guy maps out a nifty plan to breach a security protocol to steal data a troove of data unoticed, this reminds me of the popular TV show "Mr Robot" who is a nerdy computer hacker and along with his hacker group "F_s0c13ty" wiped out the financial data of the county and people woke up the next day to a cyber attack that made life unbearable, you can relate it to having your phone stolen or your computer crashing and you can't even backup your data.

The federal govt of Nigeria has been rather reckless with the registration of the NIN data capuring exercise. Nigeria is really a populous country and if there is anything we struggle to do in this part of the world is efficiency, when you bring efficiency into the mix, it cuts back on time, and gives you speed as a leverage to monitor things in real time. The NIN servers as a social identifier that gives you access to some social services and should not be handled by random sub contractors who just take a tent under the tree, get their laptop and charge for services that are presumed to be free and most likely budgeted for. The crux of my argument is that have we carried out an extensive security analysis to ensure if our data is being handled securely and not being sold to bad actors? Because a cyber breach of this magnitude would be embarassing for the most populous black country in Africa. With #1000 i was mandated to pay to register for a govt data capturing exercise that was suposedly free, so if i was a crime gang boss, and i opt to pay an NIN agent to compromise and hand me over data for over 3k people would there be punishment for folks like that who err? Do the NIN agents take an oath to safe guard the data that they look over.

I am of the opinion that the NIN exercise is too simplistic to register, and that bad actors could could register on it so as to have dual or multiple identities so bad that they can even use it to register multiple bank accounts for money laundering activities, multiple passports and so on. Plus for the fact that we share a boundary with other African nations, folks from Benin, Togo and it's environs could come here lie about their names, address and place of origin so as to have an NIN ID card, violla there you have it. Nigeria has become the easiest country to become a citizen just with #1000 note. When you become a citizen in America by birth, you get assigned a Social ID number which is a unique identifier to such child, and also in cases where you file for citizenship. Who knows how many non Nigerians have an NIN numbers by just strolling to a canopy and with #1k they are citizens.

Data is the new oil, and we owe it as a responsibility to be safeguard data with our life. Cyberwarfare can be catastrophic and can be embarrassing in ways you can't imagine. Hacker groups like Lazarus group, Our mine, Fancy bear and Moses staff are working round the clock as undermine governments and compromise national security.
I must admit that you made a great point,I also thought the nin means of open registration is dangerous ,they may be holding unto the finger prints data as the final and vital information which is hard to compromise tho but technology has made it now possible for people to recreate finger prints artificially , this is the corruption everyone is talking about the people in position of authority abusing it to do what they please regardless of its consequences on all.

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by BigDawsNet: 8:32am On Nov 21, 2021
a4cube:
because she is white. If she happen to be from Senegal or black America and can speak any Nigerian lingo, no one questions any further.

Still I don't believe...
Well nothing is impossible but if any Officer is caught trying to get a foreigner a passport without qualifying for one..he/she will be arrested immediately and charge as felony...

1 Like

Re: There Is A National Security Breach Happening And Nigerian's Dont Seem To Care. by wordcat(m): 9:16am On Nov 21, 2021
National security in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rauf Aregbesola Begs God To Bring Tinubu Down / Tinubu: It’s Your Personal Opinion, NWC Member Fires Back At Adamu / What's Your Election Result Projection For 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.