Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery (440 Views)

UPDATED - Parasitic Drain On SUV / Parasitic Battery Drain On RX 350 Lexus / Heart Breaking Battery Parasitic Drain Sienna 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by Presegs(m): 10:56am On Nov 21, 2021
When you have something that drains your battery overnight, this is the procedure to find the source of the drain.

Many old school mechanics have the habit of using a test light to do this but in our later model cars, that method is just not accurate enough since all cars will have some degree of drain that is intentional and completely normal.

You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes and on some cars sometimes as much as 40 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to the normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.

Feel free to add your way(s) for others to learn.

I represent www.autosandcartalk.com
Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by aieromon(m): 2:06pm On Nov 21, 2021
Baba, quote source of information next time. I saw it and knew immediately this was not done in a Nigerian environment.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/battery-draining-problem

1 Like

Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by Presegs(m): 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2021
aieromon:
Baba, quote source of information next time. I saw it and knew immediately this was not done in a Nigerian environment.

Thanks for the link but that is not the link which I forgot to add.

Why didn't you also add source link to this your post at https://www.nairaland.com/6417300/theft-catalytic-converters-increase-u.s?

I think you would have made sense if you had contributed to the subject matter instead of the unnecessary which you also do instead of forming saint.

1 Like

Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by aieromon(m): 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2021
Presegs:

Why didn't you also add source link to this your post at https://www.nairaland.com/6417300/theft-catalytic-converters-increase-u.s?

Too lazy to read the whole thread? grin grin

I'm ashamed, really.
Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by aieromon(m): 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2021
Presegs:

My bad grin

Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by aieromon(m): 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2021
Presegs:

I think you would have made sense if you had contributed to the subject matter instead of the unnecessary which you also you do instead of forming saint[/b]

Are you really here to learn or write about what you know nothing about?

Get your hands dirty and document your experience/s then I might take you serious.
Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by Presegs(m): 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2021
aieromon:

My bad grin

You didn't put your understanding to use. I meant that was not the link I got mine.

Moreover, it is a forum post you got the link from. Forum posts could be shared on more than one website or forum by different people.

Hope you now understand now.

Also, check the attached image showing where it came and tell me if it is where you "confidently" posted it came from is correct.

Put a stop to clout-chasing when you are not a toddler.

Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by Presegs(m): 3:19pm On Nov 21, 2021
aieromon:

Are you really here to learn or write about what you know nothing about?

Ask google.

When you are done and not satisfied, go to the topics on this my monicker, those on my IJAM Autos blog => blog.ijamautos.com and my forum www.autosandcartalk.com to check them for plagiarism and bring all you can find.

It is then you will understand I have shared my experience. I only decided to share this I jammed forgetting to put the link but all you could do is chase clout instead of contributing meaningfully.

You telling someone to get his hand dirty has all the posts on your profile to be copied and paste without any single one written by you.
I should be the one telling you to get your hands dirty; stop being a hypocrite and clout chaser.
Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by Presegs(m): 3:28pm On Nov 21, 2021
aieromon:

Too lazy to read the whole thread? grin grin

I'm ashamed, really.

After you just edited the thread grin.

I intentionally screenshot the thread to attach to my post up there.
Re: How To Find Parasitic Drains On The Battery by Presegs(m): 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2021
aieromon:

Also, my source I attached up there posted it on JANUARY 19TH, 2017 AT 10:21 AM while your source posted it on THURSDAY, JANUARY 19TH, 2017 AT 4:24 PM without putting any source link as it is very obvious my source is the original poster especially going by the time.

Now that you have a lot of time to be chasing clout or the unnecessary, write your source to put the original link he got it from.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Sienna For Sale / What To Do If Your Car AC Works On Only Highest Speed / In Need Of Toyota Corrolla LE 1999 Model (tokunbo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.