Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,773 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! (319 Views)

A Victim Of Child Sex Abuse, Talks About Suicide / Loss Prevention Officer Steals N4.2M Company’s Goods (Photo) / HIV Positive Man Commits Suicide By Hanging In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! by nairamaniac: 4:31pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hello all.

I was watching CNN this afternoon and something Wonderful got my attention, interest and a need for more awareness.

It was titled: SUICIDE PREVENTION HELPLINE

It's a commendation development. Considering one person or the other in the world commits suicide on a daily bases.

The Lekki bridge has become more useful to this act that what was actually built for.

And for a fact that at one point or the other some of us have thot about this cowardly/comdemnable act.

After seeing this on CNN, I was hoping we had a similar helpline here in Nigeria

Alas, to my greatest surprise I placed it on Google and realized we have the same in our own dearly beloved country Nigeria.
That's amazing.

Please has anyone every made use of this service enroute to aactually intennding to commit suicide?

How does it go?

Do they really say the right things to prevent you from going further?

Like for example; if I tell them I am fraustrated and broke and want to commit suicide, would they empathize with me well enough to want to come to may aid by meeting my needs?

Pls I need serious minds here.

Seun,
ishilove
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

we need
to gain more awareness of how this thing works thru this lovely forum.

Thanx!

Re: Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! by WoundedLamb: 4:51pm On Nov 21, 2021
Suicide prevention hotlines exist in most countries, but what matters most is how people treat one another in the society.

There are people of different body types/sizes out there, and body-shaming them doesn't really hide our own shortcomings. Poor men are bound to exist and they deserve as much respect as anyone else. People of different sexualities will be born regardless of the extent to which the government tries to criminalize thier activities. The world is full of different races and religions, and this is not likely to ever change, why not embrace it?

My point is, the suicide rate will reduce when we, as humans, learn to show empathy to one another and embrace our differences. So while the suicide prevention team is doing thier good work, let's also do our part in making the world a better place!

Thanks for sharing, OP. Why not also drop the Nigerian hotlines for suicide prevention?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! by nairamaniac: 6:14pm On Nov 21, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Suicide prevention hotlines exist in most countries, but what matters most is how people treat one another in the society.

There are people of different body types/sizes out there, and body-shaming them doesn't really hide our own shortcomings. Poor men are bound to exist and they deserve as much respect as anyone else. People of different sexualities will be born regardless of the extent to which the government tries to criminalize thier activities. The world is full of different races and religions, and this is not likely to ever change, why not embrace it?

My point is, the suicide rate will reduce when we, as humans, learn to show empathy to one another and embrace our differences. So while the suicide prevention team is doing thier good work, let's also do our part in making the world a better place!

Thanks for sharing, OP. Why not also drop the Nigerian hotlines for suicide prevention?

Yes u are right. It all has to start from us as fellow humans.

I deliberately refused to drop the Nigeria Hotline here so that people wouldn't abuse the service, even though they can easily assess it thru Google.

Dropping it here may also encourage few persons here to contemplate committing the act.

So I thot.

Thanks for the response.
Re: Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! by Ahmback(m): 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2021
Interesting......... But i doubt nigerian hotline will be that reliable comparee to other country's.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! by Sonnobax15(m): 8:37pm On Nov 21, 2021
lipsrsealed
Nice thread indeed....But I don't think such hotlines being in NIGERIA will be reliable...... person go call him life tire until him finally decide and conclude to commit the suicide undecided

Even ordinary fire extinguisher squad self no dey dey reliable....Abi na our NPF hotlines,no just go there........
Re: Let's Talk About SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE!!! by nairamaniac: 9:05pm On Nov 21, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Nice thread indeed....But I don't think such hotlines being in NIGERIA will be reliable...... person go call him life tire until him finally decide and conclude to commit the suicide undecided

Even ordinary fire extinguisher squad self no dey dey reliable....Abi na our NPF hotlines,no just go there........

Well, it may just be reliable. It could also depend on how credible you sound when you speak with them.

Also, they may be some well trained councilors and psychologists that can properly talk the victim out of it.

Or they may direct/advise you on how to go about solving the problems that's making you having a need to commit the suicide.

They can't take such calls unlikely, cos if you finally commit the suicide after speaking with them, your blood would be on their heads.

Lalasticlala,
Seun

What do you think?

(1) (Reply)

Youth Future..yahoo / Kidnapping / Gun License in nigeria(We need protection) / Man Raises Awareness After A Bank Allegedly Paid Him With Fake Naira Note (video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.