Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,083 members, 7,811,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Oyo Is "Yoruba" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo Is "Yoruba" (1290 Views)

Lagos Is Yoruba State And Yoruba Land- Yul Edochie / Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde / Restructuring Is Yoruba Agenda Championed By Uninformed Igbos – Tanko Yakasai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Justmesagi: 5:55pm On Nov 21, 2021
Prior to 1919 when the colonialists convened a conference and implored every tribes that would later comprised the Western region to adopt a common identifier, Yoruba, various tribes in the region had always identified by its individual names.

Some may want to argue that the tag "Yoruba" predates 1919 far back to the era of Ibn Batuta, who mentioned the name in his work. Well, my contention is not when the name itself came into existence but the false revisionism that it has always been used to refer to the good people occupying the geographical space of the South West today and affiliated areas. No it wasn't.

This was why Ooni Ademiluyi, the 1919 king of Ife, refused the Yoruba tag until he was prevailed upon to accept the tag.

This is why today, only the Alaafin of Oyo can give out a title and designate such as "of Yoruba land" but other Obas in the so called Yoruba land cannot do the same.

This was why FFK was rejecting the tag few years ago and instead chose to be addressed as "Anago".

This was why Reno Omokri claimed the original name of the language known by Yoruba today was "Edekiri".

This was why Adelabu penkelemesi, an Ibadan man in the 50s, campaigned heavily against Awo, an Ijebu, citing his non Yorubaness to the Ibadan people then who gave their votes to IPP, Adelabu's party.

This was why Adelabu later formed Egbe Omo Yoruba that metamorphosed into a political party just to counter Awo who had earlier founded Egbe Omo Oduduwa.

Egba is Egba, ijesa is Ijesa, Akoko is Akoko.............................. and Oyo is Yoruba.
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by itsme01: 5:59pm On Nov 21, 2021
How a bored child of hate looks for trouble with his 2 kobo data , instead of going for research that would better his life and give a smile on his mother's face amazes me

Someone should tell this ape when First school was built in Nigeria and Yoruba land so he can know at 1919 Yoruba weren't his Mpkuri smoking monkey ancestors mate

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 21, 2021
Well, Yorubas have always been one.

Cause we all see ourselves as the Children of Oduduwa

7 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 21, 2021
Submitting
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by ObiOfOnitcha: 6:04pm On Nov 21, 2021
baby factory criminals have come again

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by YorubaNiBaba(m): 6:06pm On Nov 21, 2021
Says a subhuman from godforsaken beerfraud land

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Nigercity: 6:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
Interesting
grin grin
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by BKayy: 6:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

LOL. Take that theory to Ugboland and you will complete it in the other side.

I haven't talked of Egbaland

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by aribisala0(m): 6:19pm On Nov 21, 2021
We already know all of that.

Nothing new.

Being Yoruba 100 years ago referred to Oyo and their close cousins and that is why Oyo was called an "empre" because it was successful in controlling many other OLukumi nations

The evidence for this is clear in Benin Republic where Ajase natives and other "Yoruba" groups are called "ANAGO"

However Nigeria has forced similar groups to coalesce and reidentify themselves as "Yoruba"
So in 2021 the term Yoruba has a different meaning from what it meant 100 years ago ( IN NIGERIA)

So the OP has said nothing new and young people should not abuse him.
If his aim is to taunt or undermine then that pregnancy has been aborted

Young Yoruba people educate yourselves and do not be shaken by haters

For those who care to research

I have said as much on Nairaland in the past several times

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by SlayerForever: 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2021
This is so true brother. I know of Ijebu personally.

I won't lie, they are different from what you call the Yorubas. But in language, and especially behavior.
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by SlayerForever: 6:23pm On Nov 21, 2021
I think there is a need to now properly identify every unique group under the wrongfully ascribed Yoruba umbrella. Tribes should be allowed to be distinct and chart their unique course and not have their identities gagged under a fictitious "Yoruba" tag.

3 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by aribisala0(m): 6:38pm On Nov 21, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

No we do not see ourselves as children of Oduduwa. It is because young Yoruba people like you do not know your history that clown can attempt to ridicule you

.Oduduwa was a king.
By definition not every Yoruba person is Omo Oba . Not even in Ife.
So the idea that We are all children of Oduduwa is wrong

Secondly Oduduwas was a migrant whose origin is arguable that took over in Ife about 1000 years ago.

Long before Oduduwa Came , many centuries earlier, there was Ifa . Ifa was recited in "Ohun Ife" that was intelligible across all of what we now call "Yoruba" land in Nigeria and Anago land in Benin Republic

So it is important to understand the role of Language/ Lingua franca in establishing identity . This is very different from the notion of a Single Common Ancestor which is unrealistic.

We have in the SW of Nigeria and parts of Benin republic different " Olukumi" nations which NOW IN NIGERIA identify as Yoruba . They have not always done so . That is reality

There is nothing new in that
We see that in the the Arabic speaking world, The Deutsch speaking world etc

ALL THE ARAB , SWAHILI< GERMAN SPEAKING PEOPLES HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A SINGLE NATION
People should study history around the world and their own history so that strangers do not tell you your own story

4 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Justmesagi: 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
aribisala0:

Nothing new.

Being Yoruba 100 years ago referred to Oyo and their close cousins and that is why Oyo was called an "empre" because it was successful in controlling many other OLukumi nations

The evidence for this is clear in Benin Republic where Ajase natives and other "Yoruba" groups are called "ANAGO"

However Nigeria has forced similar groups to coalesce and reidentify themselves as "Yoruba"
So in 2021 the term Yoruba has a different meaning from what it meant 100 years ago ( IN NIGERIA)

May your days be long, sir.

These young Yorubas should learn more about their history.
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Justmesagi: 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2021
SlayerForever:
I think there is a need to now properly identify every unique group under the wrongfully ascribed Yoruba umbrella. Tribes should be allowed to be distinct and chart their unique course and not have their identities gagged under a fictitious "Yoruba" tag.
Exactly! Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by sweetonugbu: 7:14pm On Nov 21, 2021
[quote author=aribisala0 post=107835484] No we do not see ourselves as children of Oduduwa. It is because young Yoruba people like you do not know your history that clown can attempt to ridicule you

.Oduduwa was a king.
By definition not every Yoruba person is Omo Oba . Not even in Ife.
So the idea that We are all children of Oduduwa is wrong

Secondly Oduduwas was a migrant whose origin is arguable that took over in Ife about 1000 years ago.

Long before Oduduwa Came , many centuries earlier, there was Ifa . Ifa was recited in "Ohun Ife" that was intelligible across all of what we now call "Yoruba" land in Nigeria and Anago land in Benin Republic

So it is important to understand the role of Language/ Lingua franca in establishing identity . This is very different from the notion of a Single Common Ancestor which is unrealistic.

We have in the SW of Nigeria and parts of Benin repu
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Justmesagi: 7:14pm On Nov 21, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

All "Yorubas" are not from Oduduwa. Stop saying ignorance.
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Justmesagi: 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2021
[quote author=sweetonugbu post=107836327][/quote]But how come no king can bestow a 'Yoruba title' today other than the Alaafin? Not even the Ooni. What about the discriminations I alluded to especially by the Ibadan against Ijebu in the 50s?
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Sergio101(m): 7:25pm On Nov 21, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

You mean children of tigar scratched face fallen demon??. Met his Waterloo outer heaven after he tried mining the skull of hangel Gabriel cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Justmesagi: 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2021
itsme01:
How a bored child of hate looks for trouble with his 2 kobo data , instead of going for research that would better his life and give a smile on his mother's face amazes me

Someone should tell this ape when First school was built in Nigeria , Yoruba land so he can know at 1919 Yoruba weren't their Mpkuri smoking monkey ancestors mate
Insults cannot change history. You should take your own advice and research. And you are a big fool for bringing my mother into this because of a harmless write up.

4 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Tranquillity360: 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2021
We Aworis are not Yoruba and do not want to be refer as Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Ogbuefi2020: 8:37pm On Nov 21, 2021
How a well educated nation like Yoruba came up with the fabble that they all originated from oduduwa (circa 10th century) still baffles me. Similar attempt was made in igbo land to foist an Eri-centric history on us but it was rejected by our academic intelligentsia, rather, all communities founded by Eri were identified

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Danjikanbauchi: 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2021
See as this guys where abusing the op thinking he is Igbo, just for a harmless history that he said nothing wrong.

This offspring of fallen demons are filled with hate.

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Nigercity: 6:05am On Nov 22, 2021
Oyo state
Is just a disgrace to the great Yoruba Nation
Big for nothing
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by oyatz(m): 6:34am On Nov 22, 2021
Ogbuefi2020:
How a well educated nation like Yoruba came up with the fabble that they all originated from oduduwa (circa 10th century) still baffles me. Similar attempt was made in igbo land to foist an Eri-centric history on us but it was rejected by our academic intelligentsia, rather, all communities founded by Eri were identified

When people say that someone is the father of a Nation( e.g Ataturk = Father of the Turks, Attah Igala= Father of the Igalas), it means the personality played a key role in shaping the nation and it doesn't necessarily mean the individual is the biological father of everyone in the nation.
Examples of such 'Fathers of the nations' are found in all parts of the world from Israel to Mongolia to Rome.

Each ethnic group evolve differently, so it is unnecessary to assume that what is obtainable in one ethnic group must be obtainable in another one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Ekealterego: 6:41pm On Nov 22, 2021
aribisala0:

Nothing new.

Yeah! They were referred to as Akus.

Ijebu, Egba the rest are technically not Yorubas. That's why Ijebu rejected the Yoruba tag or still reject it till today.

However for the Yorubas in Kogi like the Okuns, those ones do not accept the tag.

I guess that's why Yoruba freedom fighters use names like Odua or Oduduwa children. Fulani called the Oyos Yarriba.

SlayerForever:

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by christistruth01: 7:14pm On Nov 22, 2021
ObiOfOnitcha:
baby factory criminals have come again

Why would people who are yet to piece their own History together think they are qualified to teach Yorubas their own Yoruba History ?

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by christistruth01: 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2021
BKayy:

LOL. Take that theory to Ugboland and you will complete it in the other side.

I haven't talked of Egbaland

With all Humility

If I start Teaching you Yoruba History you will escape and flee this Thread

The Yoruba Nation is made up of at least16 Kingdoms whose rulers all Ife Princes descended from King Oduduwa of Ile Ife who ordered his Children and Grandchildren to Migrate from Ile Ife to other predetermined Locations in Order to establish their own Kingdoms and the Oyo Kingdom is only one of the 16 Yoruba Kingdoms

The Yorubas were in ancient times also known as the Ife People

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by aribisala0(m): 7:29pm On Nov 22, 2021
Ekealterego:

Yeah! They were referred to as Akus.

Ijebu, Egba the rest are technically not Yorubas. That's why Ijebu rejected the Yoruba tag or still reject it till today.

However for the Yorubas in Kogi like the Okuns, those ones do not accept the tag.

I guess that's why Yoruba freedom fighters use names like Odua or Oduduwa children. Fulani called the Oyos Yarriba.

Who is the "THEY" that were referred to as Akus
Who told you Ijebus reject the "Yoruba" tag?
Okuns do not accept the tag? Did they send you an email to that effect?

When and where did that happen??
Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by HITMEUP4ANYBIZ(m): 7:43pm On Nov 22, 2021
Person go sit down somewhere cook rubbish, people saying Ijebus are not technically yoruba grin

No be ment ?

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is "Yoruba" by Ogbuefi2020: 8:06pm On Nov 22, 2021
christistruth01:

With all Humility

If I start Teaching you Yoruba History you will escape and flee this Thread

The Yoruba Nation is made up of at least16 Kingdoms whose rulers all Ife Princes descended from King Oduduwa of Ile Ife who ordered his Children and Grandchildren to Migrate from Ile Ife to othe predetermined Locations in Order to establish their own Kingdoms and the Oyo Kingdom is only one of the 16 Yoruba Kingdoms

The Yorubas were in ancient times also known as the Ife People
This simplistic history calls to question the authenticity of Yoruba claim to be educated. Secondly your map has no igala, and excluded Kano from hausaland there it's null and void

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Wants To Handover To PDP / ☑️☑️ Buhari To Handover To Goodluck Jonathan In 2023❗️❗️☑️☑️ / Why Abba Kyari Should NEVER Be Extradited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.