Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? (1430 Views)

How To Handle Money Transferred To Wrong Account number Case (worth Sharing) / I Received Account Number From GTB And I Was Asked To Activate It. / What Is An Opay Account Number? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Danlily24(m): 11:39pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hello Guys!

Good Evening, please i want to confirm if its right for two different banks to bear same account number here in Nigeria? Cause i have noticed same account in Sterling Bank being used by a different person in Stanbic IBTC bank.

Your responses will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by olus01(m): 11:55pm On Nov 21, 2021
This is nigeria where anything is possible
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Danlily24(m): 11:57pm On Nov 21, 2021
My brother, i just tire
olus01:
This nigeria where everything is possible
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Abfinest007(m): 1:25am On Nov 22, 2021
That na lie, I don't think it possible.for example
Firstbank ac start with 30
Uba AC start. With 21
Union. Start. With 00
Eco. Start. With 14

1 Like

Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Danlily24(m): 6:18am On Nov 22, 2021
What makes you think I am lieing here? I have a first hand experience, two different Nigerian banks use the same account number. I am still making my enquiries and my decision will be concluded today when I get to the bank. I can't drop the account number here for your verification but what I said is what it is.
Abfinest007:
Uba AC start. With 21
Union. Start. With 00
Eco. Start. With 14
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Theelders: 7:35am On Nov 22, 2021
I have seen it before … same bank different account owners and same account number… wahala for who no go dey see alert

1 Like

Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Myer(m): 7:37am On Nov 22, 2021
Danlily24:
Hello Guys!

Good Evening, please i want to confirm if its right for two different banks to bear same account number here in Nigeria? Cause i have noticed same account in Sterling Bank being used by a different person in Stanbic IBTC bank.

Even if it's possible, there is a failsafe measure in place.

Every transaction requires you to indicate your bank.

So even if the account number is the same with another bank, you are required to indicate the bank you're transacting with.

It's actually almost impossible but if it happens,indicating your bank is the fail safe.

2 Likes

Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Greenleaf247: 10:19am On Nov 22, 2021
Abfinest007:
Uba AC start. With 21
Union. Start. With 00
Eco. Start. With 14

Uba with 20
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by bet9ja(m): 10:34am On Nov 22, 2021
It is possible. I nearly transferred money to a wrong account before I realized that the beneficiary bank name is different. Immediately I changed the bank name, the beneficiary name matches.

Normally, this should not have happened. But the CBN failed to implement this policy. Banks should be given an account number prefix by the CBN during the approval process. This will solve the problem.
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by ambale(m): 11:38am On Nov 22, 2021
I don't think this is possible cos each account number is unique

Their code of alloting account numbers may be same but once you pick an acct number with a bank it can't be used anymore
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by ambale(m): 11:39am On Nov 22, 2021
bet9ja:
It is possible. I nearly transferred money to a wrong account before I realized that the beneficiary bank name is different. Immediately I changed the bank name, the beneficiary name matches.

Normally, this should not have happened. But the CBN failed to implement this policy. Banks should be given an account number prefix by the CBN during the approval process. This will solve the problem.

It would not go even if you enter another bank details

I tried it just now
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by ajoyeleke(m): 2:14pm On Nov 22, 2021
Danlily24:
Hello Guys!

2000563947 try this acct on both first bank and UBA u will see

Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Automolite: 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2021
Danlily24:
Hello Guys!

dis shudnt be hard to determine. if u use apps like aella, branch n carbon where once u input ac number and select bank, the persons name will appear. jst do a little permutation n combination.
i wud personally try it myself, cos my gtb and diamond bank accts both start with 001.
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Balaking: 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
Yes
Re: Can Two Different Nigerian Banks Bear The Same Account Number ? by Balaking: 6:56pm On Nov 22, 2021
Balaking:
Yes Stanbic and sterling are very common

(1) (Reply)

O! Noodles Address / Financial Analysis For Beginners / Doing Business In Nigeria: The Facts And The Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.