Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,843 members, 7,817,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) (19407 Views)

Seen This Unusual Job Advert On Facebook? / Just Got A New Job Atlast!!!!! / How To Get A New Job After Losing Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by AutoChick4U(f): 6:19pm On Nov 22, 2021
Okwuapkunaonu:
Did any civil servant send Davido common 1k? My friend got and seat down with your useless job.
They probably sent the jara
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by c2far: 6:19pm On Nov 22, 2021
The surest way is to find a Small sized and promising company. Show up there with skills and qualification they need. Tell them you want to work for them for free. Do an excellent job. Tell them bye after one month. They will beg you to stay and pay. It works.

But for it to work, you must be solid. And ensure you get to work early and leave late.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by auform1(m): 6:20pm On Nov 22, 2021
Chuknovski:
wink No.5 in naija you need Gods favour, And a lil bit of connecsan grin
very true

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Cerebellum: 6:21pm On Nov 22, 2021
IgiveLadiesBj:
Number 2 works

I one time sent an Instagram DM to the MD of a big coy and he offered me a 2 months contract.

If you see the way I packaged my message eeh

You mean how you send a sugar mummy message and you started giving her bJ till she send you parking after 2 months?grin
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Lamasta(m): 6:24pm On Nov 22, 2021
Okwuapkunaonu:
Did any civil servant send Davido common 1k? My friend got and seat down with your useless job.

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Ofunaofu: 6:49pm On Nov 22, 2021
.........and last but not the least

Have God-The-Father on your side

2 Likes

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Skillsnigeria: 7:05pm On Nov 22, 2021
Noted
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by faithfull18(f): 7:16pm On Nov 22, 2021
Ofunaofu:
.........and last but not the least

Have God-The-Father on your side
This should be the first on the list.

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by uchaymart(m): 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2021
SundayNightGist:
One of the reasons you can't seem to get a job is because you're doing what every other person is doing- submitting your CV (applications) and hoping that one day, they would call you. Bad strategy! In fact, that method is tired already. Too many people in that queue.

Do this instead:

1. Do your research VERY WELL. Know who is who in that company. But more importantly, know who is the most instrumental in giving out jobs. I mean who can have a final say in giving you a job in that company? Know how your presence in the company can add value to them.

2. Mail or call your prospective employer or that key figure in the company directly. Call the contacts displayed on their company website to ask for this key figure's contact. Or message this person directly on LinkedIn. Nothing works like having a personal touch with the most important person in the process of getting your desired job. Please before you do this, you must be very sure you have the competence (adequate skill) to do that job. You're calling (please do not text) or mailing to make a case for yourself, stating why you think you're best suited for the job and also, possibly, to get an appointment for an interview.

3. If step 2 above fails, get a mutual contact to put in a good word for you at the company in question. We all have somebody who knows somebody who may know somebody in that company we are looking to work in. Check your LinkedIn connections, scan your group of friends, relatives, the WhatsApp groups you belong to, any interest group you belong to, past employers… There should be a possible link somewhere, somehow. You never can tell, just stretch the possibilities that this link exists. Once you find this link, simply ask him or her to help you convince your prospective employer that you're the best talent there is for that particular job. And if there's no current job opening, think of how you can fit into the company and sell them a new role by showing them why they would be needing one- the one you'll be occupying.

4. Show up at the office in person anyways
The proof of desire is pursuit. So whether steps 2 and 3 above worked or not, still go to the office of that company after making several attempts to get the attention of the key figure. Show up at their office and ask to have a face-to-face with this fellow. If they ask whether you have an appointment (most won't), tell them you have an important message to deliver to so-and-so and you would rather do it in person. The essence of this step is to get a chance to sell yourself in person. If you're really good, you should land an immediate appointment for an interview this way.

I applied steps 1,2 and 4 to get my first job. I applied step 3 to get my second job.

*The above four steps work best with small-to-medium-sized -companies where it is relatively easy to have access to key figures in the company.

All the best with your job search.

Op this does not work all the time.
I once applied for a job. I did a background check and got the right man in the company, called him and explained some things to him but instead, that was how he terminAted the interview that had been scheduled for the next day.

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Aliyman1(m): 7:42pm On Nov 22, 2021
We4all:
Nothing unusual about these. I could recall how a lady I used to know back then got a job. She stormed into a Federal Minister’s office and insisted she needed to be alone with the him.

As soon as her wish was granted, she removed her blouse and exposed her boobs. She got her appointment letter the next day. The Minister was a Calabar man and big boobs was his weakness.

Loool laffing in swahilli
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Frenzy01(m): 7:44pm On Nov 22, 2021
Just pray for the grace of God. Many people have adopted this style and still failed woefully

Contact me for your swift buying and selling of any Dog breed. Pet care and boarding services also available

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by 1stKingharry: 7:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
Please watch my video and click the link to subscribe to my channel

flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDruGM4QVx0[/flash
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by HRtechnique: 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2021
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Abikeade11(f): 8:08pm On Nov 22, 2021
Do you know of any civil engineering company recruiting? or sites that I can visit for civil engineering work. Pls I need this if anyone here can render a help. I am a registered Engineer . Thanks
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 22, 2021
uchaymart:

I once applied for a job. I did a background check and got the right man in the company, called him and explained some things to him but instead, that was how he terminAted the interview that had been scheduled for the next day.

At least you got an interview. You could also have easily got a job but for (maybe) some personal reasons from your man. Again, nowhere in my original post did I say you should apply for a job. Applying for job, like I already pointed out, is now outdated. But thank you for sharing your personal experience. I appreciate it a lot and wish you all the best.
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by enonche85(m): 8:19pm On Nov 22, 2021
Thanks for sharing. Will try any of the steps 1-3. I have tried 4 but it didn't work out. They even promised to shortlist me for an interview but they didn't.

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Timblaze(m): 8:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
Just know somebody important! That is all u need in naija..
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by ComeToJesus: 8:32pm On Nov 22, 2021
We4all:
Nothing unusual about these. I could recall how a lady I used to know back then got a job. She stormed into a Federal Minister’s office and insisted she needed to be alone with the him.

As soon as her wish was granted, she removed her blouse and exposed her boobs. She got her appointment letter the next day. The Minister was a Calabar man and big boobs was his weakness.

You no well o shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by ComeToJesus: 8:38pm On Nov 22, 2021
uchaymart:

If you've already been scheduled for an interview, why did you have to call the "right man" ?

You would have saved those golden explanations for the interview. HR guys will disqualify you immediately for trying to gain an unfair advantage over others especially if the HR person is a lady.

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 22, 2021
chigoziri2403:
Using Nigeria as a case study

For your information, that post was written from start to finish by me purely using myself as a case study. Like I said at the end of the post, the things I wrote out as steps 1 to 4 are the exact things I did to get both my first and second jobs. The first job was in the second biggest company in its industry in the whole of Nigeria. Never say never bro. Keep a positive mind. I'm a living testimony.
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2021
jarvis4:
Whatever works for you may not work for another

And what if it works?
There's no harm in trying deary
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 22, 2021
Chuknovski:
wink No.5 in naija you need Gods favour,
And a lil bit of connecsan grin

I agree with your first point but I also believe God can override your second point with your first point.

God favoured me before both the gateman and the receptionist the day I visited the company I was targeting without being invited. I didn't even know what the man I was going to see looked like in person (he was the MD of the company o). I was just tired of sitting at home for months after NYSC. So I went there and as I was being allowed in the man's car was driving out of the compound and I didn't even know he was the one. I couldn't cry when the receptionist told me that the man was the one in the car that just left the compound which I saw with my two korokoro eyes. Eventually, she advised me on the best time and day to get the man in the office. I thanked her, obeyed her advice and the rest as they say is history.
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 22, 2021
DigitalyYours:
If you do not go after what you want, You'll never have it.

If you do not ask, the answer will always be NO.

If you do not step forward, You will always be in the same place.

KEEP PUSHING

Sharp!!!
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 22, 2021
Okwuapkunaonu:

Easy my brother
E never reach fight
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 22, 2021
IgiveLadiesBj:
Number 2 works

I one time sent an Instagram DM to the MD of a big coy and he offered me a 2 months contract.

If you see the way I packaged my message eeh

Thank you o
I hope those doubting my story can see this your story too?
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 22, 2021
Emuforlife1:
5. Juju

No, God's favour
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by uchaymart(m): 8:54pm On Nov 22, 2021
ComeToJesus:

If you've already been scheduled for an interview, why did you have to call the "right man" ?

You would have saved those golden explanations for the interview. HR guys will disqualify you immediately for trying to gain an unfair advantage over others especially if the HR person is a lady.

Yes, man. I blamed myself after that call.

I quoted this post because I was only trying to address what the OP had posted as calling some big gig in the company gives an advantage but this does not augur well most times.

1 Like

Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
GUNITGuy:
In this Naija?

Yes Sir!
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 22, 2021
kunle75:

I agree with you to an extent but some timeless principles works for everyone that applies them.

Spot on bro
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 22, 2021
kayttah:
Cold mails to startup CEOs works tho. But you've to sell your uvp (what you're bringing to the table). So if you don't really have anything to offer, it won't work.

And yeah, you might send out so many cold mails and wouldn't get a response.

I just feel you need to find the problem the company is actively trying to solve or the problem facing the company itself and shoot a mail detailing how you gon solve the issue(s).

Your head dey there!
Re: 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 22, 2021
We4all:

grin grin grin ;
Well, I don't know about this

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

774,000 Jobs: Disregard Messages To Go To NDE Offices To Register - Keyamo / BUA Cement Graduate Engineer Trainee/ Trainee Operator / Should I Take Manager Job In A Filling Station Or Leave It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.