Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages (2080 Views)

Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem / Lagos Commences Power Generation From Organic Wastes / FG To Stop Funding Pilgrimages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by xgel: 6:52am On Jun 09, 2011
Nigeria wastes a bundle by paying for  'religious' pilgrimages of its own 'special' citizens to Saudi Arabia and Jerusuleum,  They can't even provide electricity to their own people, yet they do something as foolish as that. Maybe they should just give their youth one-way tickets to Mecca and hope they never return. And they wouldn't, given Nigeria's normal regress into squalor.

-schwarzey

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/06/08/nigeria.violence/index.html
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by rolchi(m): 12:54pm On Jun 09, 2011
cool cool cool What do we do na? tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by MMM2(m): 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2011
9ja leaders just dey fu-ck up.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2011
Religious Pilgrimage, NYSC, Bi-Camera national assembly, Presidential System, Security Votes, Immunity for Governors, Governor's Forum, 36 States Structure, ALL FACTORS THAT STUNT NIGERIA'S DEVELOPMENT
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by illusion2: 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2011
jerseyboy:

Religious Pilgrimage, NYSC, Bi-Camera national assembly, Presidential System, Security Votes, Immunity for Governors, Governor's Forum, 36 States Structure, ALL FACTORS THAT STUNT NIGERIA'S DEVELOPMENT
Smart guy ! I agree 101%
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by EzeUche1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2011
Nigeria wastes a lot of money on many things.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by dustydee: 4:00pm On Jun 09, 2011
I concur! we have so much to do with the little money we have yet we choose to squander it.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by Pafuri(m): 5:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
I personally have no problem with anyone who wishes to go on pilgrimage (tourism) to Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem, or whatever other friggin' place they want to go. I just can't understand why government should fund such travels. I mean, they are fck'in private, and should remain so.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by moremi2008(m): 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2011
Government officials award the trips to friends and family. I know several people that got free trips to Jerusalem (they stay in pretty nice hotels too!).
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by omoleka(f): 8:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
Proper waste of money! Nigeria is just enriching the already rich countries where these pilgrimages are performed. Going on pilgrimage does not make one to be more religious, less of a sinner or closer to God. Please, Nigerians should wake up from their persistent slumber!!!
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2011
Are we advocating an end to this subsidy?
Cuts to pilgrimage may? elicit scary responses from fanatics.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
Religion should be a personal issue,if i have offended my God and think going half mile around d world to seek 4 forgiveness is antidote, then i shuld be payin frm my purse. Why should d govt be paying 4 dat? And by d way is naija nt a seculiar state
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by ddiamond(f): 10:21pm On Jun 09, 2011
i wonder ooooooooooooooooo GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by edoyad(m): 1:40am On Jun 10, 2011
Pafuri:

I personally have no problem with anyone who wishes to go on pilgrimage (tourism) to Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem, or whatever other friggin' place they want to go. I just can't understand why government should fund such travels. I mean, they are fck'in private, and should remain so.
The so called cash strapped states that can't even provide potable fricking water for their citizens will spend millions sending thousands abroad. I can't understand it.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by Nobody: 2:30am On Jun 10, 2011
Anyone who defends the govt sponsoring people to mecca and jerusalem needs a really good medical examination
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by ebere1712: 4:07am On Jun 10, 2011
I f you are so much in love with mecca. jerusalem, rome. Pls pay with your own money. You can stay there for as long as you want and even bring us pictures. We dont want to pay for it. This should be very simple for people and the federal government to understand. Dont celebrate anything, when we are dyeing of poverty; you'll be calling us fools. Dont even celebrate the goddamn independence day.We dont need it. It adds nothing to the common man. If you want to celebrate, use your money. If you dont have any, leave the national cofers for more useful things. Dont even go to Washington. If you want to go, use your own money. damn some communities dont even have access to safe water. Use that money to build a borehole for them (since we are allergic to well planned pipe borne water scheme ). You can call obama with your mobile phone. Tell the fg to stop wasting our money. We have neither the time nor the money for useless functions.
Re: Nigeria Wastes A Bundle By Paying For 'religious' Pilgrimages by oladayo042: 8:23am On Jun 10, 2011
ebere1712:

I f you are so much in love with mecca. jerusalem, rome. Pls pay with your own money. You can stay there for as long as you want and even bring us pictures. We dont want to pay for it. This should be very simple for people and the federal government to understand. Dont celebrate anything, when we are dyeing of poverty; you'll be calling us fools. Dont even celebrate the goddamn independence day.We dont need it. It adds nothing to the common man. If you want to celebrate, use your money. If you dont have any, leave the national cofers for more useful things. Dont even go to Washington. If you want to go, use your own money. damn some communities dont even have access to safe water. Use that money to build a borehole for them (since we are allergic to well planned pipe borne water scheme ). You can call obama with your mobile phone. Tell the fg to stop wasting our money. We have neither the time nor the money for useless functions.
Right on point

(1) (Reply)

Customs Shoot Innocent Man At Ajilete In Ogun State. / Nigeria Deports 67 South African HIV positive prostit-utes / Dstv Christmas Promo Is On Now...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.