Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,622 members, 7,827,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution (2979 Views)

How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. / ‍‍‍what I Saw Concerning "Jesus Christ ,myself,satan ,And some Believers." / Part Of Evolution Theory That Got Me Really Confused....can There Be An Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 8:36am On Nov 25, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Evolution is not a topic that aims to explain how the first specie came to be.
That's like creating another topic entirely. This topic is meant to discuss evolution of specie and not the origin of life
Is this what Darwin said?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 8:37am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:
[size=6pt][/size]
Just present facts man!, just present FACTS!
Don't attack the man.
The thread is about evolution. I have presented here more about evolution and Darwin than any of you.
Have you accepted that you don’t know what a scientific theory is?
Say yes and I will teach you theory of evolution. Be humble and let’s teach you
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by chinasaekpere: 8:39am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:

Is this what Darwin said?
That's what it is.
Abiogenesis and panspermia are two major topics in science that discusses origin of life on earth and not evolution.

Are you this uninformed!
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by TenQ: 8:43am On Nov 25, 2021
chinasaekpere:
Evolution is not a topic that aims to explain how the first specie came to be.
That's like creating another topic entirely. This topic is meant to discuss evolution of specie and not the origin of life
Its not especially because the OP related it to creation.
its only right to ask about the first specie!
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by TenQ: 8:46am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
But asking how species came into existence is not a topic in evolution.

That’s like another topic entirely and science doesn’t have that answer. What we are sure about is that evolution happened and it’s still happened.
We don’t know for sure how the first species came and evolution is not the topic to discusss that and this thread doesn’t aim at discussing that either.
Then it could be the same designer using same templates for creation of every living being. (I believe you know a little of Object Oriented programming)
Since you don't know, you don't have an answer!
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by chinasaekpere: 8:49am On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

Its not especially because the OP related it to creation.
its only right to ask about the first specie!
I made the Op, while it doesn't explain origin of life, it's contradicts the literal interpretations of the Bible in the sense in respect to Adam and even being created from dust and ribs respectively in a day.
It also contradicts the overall creation stories in genesis.
However, those Bible passages are not literal, they are allogeries and it makes sense that way, literal interpretations obviously will conflict with theory of evolution which is an established scientific fact
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by chinasaekpere: 8:50am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
You are making argument from irreducible complexity of intelligent design.
It’s false that if you remove one part of a bacteria organelle that it must stop functioning.
If one part of an organelle is removed naturally, it either stop functioning, acts as a vestigial organelle or served another function.

This argument you are using was put forward by a controversial Colleuge of mine called Michael Behe and he use the flagellum of a bacteria to make his points. He has been disproven by with evidence that a bacteria flagellum is not irreducibly complex, if the motor of a flagellum is removed, it could still serve as an organelle for insemination of toxins and other proteins as seen in many bacteria.

The matter of irreducible complexity is also false in terms of vestigial organs.
If I remove your appendix, you will still function properly.
If I remove your tonsils, you will still function properly.
If u remove Your coccyx, you will function properly. So what’s the irreducible complexity in this?

So the equivalence with a car part is false and doesn’t work like that in nature. Cars do not adapt to changing environment conditions like living cells. It’s a false equivalence fallacy
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by TenQ: 8:53am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
You are making argument from irreducible complexity of intelligent design.
It’s false that if you remove one part of a bacteria organelle that it must stop functioning.
If one part of an organelle is removed naturally, it either stop functioning, acts as a vestigial organelle or served another function.

This argument you are using was put forward by a controversial Colleuge of mine called Michael Behe and he use the flagellum of a bacteria to make his points. He has been disproven by with evidence that a bacteria flagellum is not irreducibly complex, if the motor of a flagellum is removed, it could still serve as an organelle for insemination of toxins and other proteins as seen many bacteria.

The matter of irreducible complexity is also false in terms of vestigial organs.
If I remove your appendix, you will still function properly.
If I remove your tonsils, you will still function properly.
If u remove Your coccyx, you will function properly. So what’s the irreducible complexity in this?

So the equivalence with a car part is false and doesn’t work like that in nature. Cars do not adapt to changing environment conditions like living cells. It’s a false equivalence fallacy
So lame an argument:
If you remove your hair you'll still live
If you remove your nails, you'll stive live..

Naa...
How about removing your Brain, kidney, Stomach, Lungs! Will you still live?
Didn't I give your examples that are common to all living things?

One can remove several things from a car and it will still function as a vehicle. eg. Windscreen, Wheel cover, Trafficator, Brake-light etc. It doesn't mean they have no use, but it doesn't stop them being a vehicle
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 8:54am On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

Then it could be the same designer using same templates for creation of every living being. (I believe you know a little of Object Oriented programming)
Since you don't know, you don't have an answer!
We don’t know if it’s a designer, but one thing we are sure about is that if a designer exist then he must have designed it through the process of evolution.
Secondly, it will also show that the designer is not perfect because we can observe thousands of errors in form of mutations in this design.

However, there’s still no evidence for a designer, and we cannot assume that there is. What we have evidence for is that living organisms including humans have and are still evolving. We have to stick to what we know for now
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 9:00am On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

So lame an argument:
If you remove your hair you'll still live
If you remove your nails, you'll stive live..

Naa...
How about removing your Brain, kidney, Stomach, Lungs! Will you still live?
Didn't I give your examples that are common to all living things?

One can remove several things from a car and it will still function as a vehicle. eg. Windscreen, Wheel cover, Trafficator, Brake-light etc. It doesn't mean they have no use, but it doesn't stop them being a vehicle
Irreducible complexity has been debunked by that already.
You can remove some parts of a system and it’s still functions, however some parts are very vital to the function of that system.

We have evidence that if nature removes a part of the brain, it will function in another way. If you remove a part of the heart naturally it will function in another way which makes your comparison with a car ridiculous.

Reptiles have just two chambers of heart compared to humans with 4 and it still functions. If nature removes two chambers of the heart over time, it will function like a reptilian heart.

If nature removes the brain overtime, it will function like seen in invertebrates. Everything will be reduced and still function. If nature removes the neocortex part of the brain that is responsible for higher function and consciousness then you will hav a function similar to Lowe vertebrates.

So irreducible complexity is nonsense and the comparison with a car is a product of low IQ. The removal of any part of a system in nature will either cause it to lose its function or make it function in another way depending on natural selection.
And that’s basically what evolution teaches. Arguing with irreducible complexity is lame, it has been discarded in science since it was invented by Behe
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by TenQ: 9:13am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
Irreducible complexity has been debunked by that already.
You can remove some parts of a system and it’s still functions, however some parts are very vital to the function of that system.

We have evidence that if nature removes a part of the brain, it will function in another way. If you remove a part of the heart naturally it will function in another way which makes your comparison with a car ridiculous.

Reptiles have just two chambers of heart compared to humans with 4 and it still functions. If nature removes two chambers of the heart over time, it will function like a reptilian heart.

If nature removes the brain overtime, it will function like seen in invertebrates. Everything will be reduced and still function. If nature removes the neocortex part of the brain that is responsible for higher function and consciousness then you will hav a function similar to Lowe vertebrates.

So irreducible complexity is nonsense and the comparison with a car is a product of low IQ. The removal of any part of a system in nature will either cause it to lose its function or make it function in another way depending on natural selection.
And that’s basically what evolution teaches. Arguing with irreducible complexity is lame, it has been discarded in science since it was invented by Behe
You are the one who brought out the phrase " irreducible complexity" I didn't.
I only gave you characteristics common to living things such as

2. All living things have organs that
i. Take in Energy
ii. Digest and store the energy
iii. Excretes wastes as a result of digestion of energy source
iv. Possess means of replicating themselves

It doesn't matter if they were Amoeba, bacteria, plant or animals

So, stop using google without your common sense behind it
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 9:17am On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

i. Take in Energy

All living things don’t have organs.

That’s not science.
Only higher multicellular organism have organs.

How would I engage you when you don’t even know what organs are?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 9:19am On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

i. Take in Energy

I am an expert in this field dude.
I have background in biochemistry, so this is literally my field.
I have sequenced several proteins and mapped many genes in my course of study. If you want to have discussion with me in molecular biology or biochemistry then you can be my guest because you will be lost. You barely can differentiate organs from organelles.

There’s literally nothing you want to tell me about metabolism in organisms either prokaryotes or eukaryotes that I don’t know and I don’t see the point you are trying to make with this post.

All living things are the same at the molecular level, it’s evidence that they evolved from a common ancestor.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by jmoore(m): 9:52am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
You don’t need critical thinking to know that evolution is fact, you only need proper education and lack of religious indoctrination.
A large number of Christians who are not literalists accept the theory so it’s not impossible that you can be a Christian and still accept scientific facts.
People will lie IQ like yours accept those that do not contradict your faith and reject others.

The major reason why your reject evolution is not because it doesn’t have evidence, it’s because it reveals the lies in Genesis story. You believed the Genesis stories without evidence, so evidence doesn’t matter to you

You ended up saying nothing. All these dumb atheists roaming around religious section.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by jmoore(m): 9:55am On Nov 25, 2021
chinasaekpere:
We don’t know where the common ancestor came from and that’s not what evolution entails, it’s another topic entirely but people like you who hardly know that. Evolution only explains the diversity of species and not the origin of life. Abiogenesis and panspermia are the topic in biology that explains that, you don’t know because you have poor background in science or you are a religious fundamentalist.

There is nothing wrong is saying you don’t know, what it’s wrong is making stuffs up. But we are sure that we all have common ancestors, it’s what the information in DNA and fossil record says.

So you don't know where the common ancestor came? It is all intertwined, origin/evolution.

I keep saying it, all atheists in the religious section are not intelligent

1 Like

Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 10:01am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
Have you accepted that you don’t know what a scientific theory is?
Say yes and I will teach you theory of evolution. Be humble and let’s teach you
How am I wrong about what a scientific theory is?
You haven't said it.
You're only deflecting issues.
Show us where I went wrong.
You're the one who should prove your claim, not me.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 10:03am On Nov 25, 2021
chinasaekpere:
That's what it is.
Abiogenesis and panspermia are two major topics in science that discusses origin of life on earth and not evolution.

Are you this uninformed!
I asked about Darwin.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 10:16am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:

How am I wrong about what a scientific theory is?
You haven't said it.
You're only deflecting issues.
Show us where I went wrong.
You're the one who should prove your claim, not me.
Is a scientific theory explanation of fact or not?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 10:17am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:

I asked about Darwin.
Darwin didn’t talk about origin of life
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 10:20am On Nov 25, 2021
Again, chinasaekpere, Workch and their friends on this thread have not answered the topic of this thread.
They claim to know but are actually displaying a lot of ignorance.

They have put up several posts but none addressing the issue of how Darwinian evolution has been PROVEN. They don't appear to know the difference between scientific theory and 'law' which is foundational to discussing issues like these. They hope that if they 'shout the loudest' they would end up claiming that they have won the argument.

None has been able to show which 'FACTS' prove evolution.

That is because they believe evolution simply by FAITH and not because any proof exists for it. If a proof exists for it, it would have been easy for them to show us.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 10:22am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
Is a scientific theory explanation of fact or not?
Theories can be proven or REJECTED. Yes or No?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 10:28am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
Darwin didn’t talk about origin of life
This thread is about evolution, isn't it?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 10:43am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:

This thread is about evolution, isn't it?
Yes, how does evolution assess origin of life?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 10:43am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:

Theories can be proven or REJECTED. Yes or No?
nope, hypothesis can be proven or rejected.
Theories are modified when better evidence suffice.

You are illiterate of science
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 10:47am On Nov 25, 2021
jmoore:

You ended up saying nothing. All these dumb atheists roaming around religious section.
I am not atheist because I accept evolution. Majority of Christians including the Church of England and Catholic Church accept evolution.
Only I’ll-informed people, majorly literalists and ill-educated christian in developing countries in Africa don’t see evolution as fact.

You are part of the latter
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by jmoore(m): 10:52am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
I am not atheist because I accept evolution. Majority of Christians including the Church of England and Catholic Church accept evolution.
Only I’ll-informed people, majorly literalists and ill-educated christian in developing countries in Africa don’t see evolution as fact.

You are part of the latter
A Christian that believes his bible that God created humans won't believe that Humans came from apes. You can't believe in two opposing beliefs. You see how narrow your thinking is.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by sagenaija: 11:34am On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
nope, hypothesis can be proven or rejected.
Theories are modified when better evidence suffice.
You are illiterate of science
See the HIGHLIGHTED. Don't be too quick to always immediately oppose the other person's statements.

Modification means changes. In other words, basic or FUNDAMENTAL changes made, which can alter the position.
Workch, what this means is that any area in a theory that is not proven is modified. Modification means that the original position held in that area is no longer held as valid. Therefore it is in effect REJECTED!
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 11:59am On Nov 25, 2021
sagenaija:

See the HIGHLIGHTED. Don't be too quick to always immediately oppose the other person's statements.

Modification means changes. In other words, basic or FUNDAMENTAL changes made, which can alter the position.
Workch, what this means is that any area in a theory that is not proven is modified. Modification means that the original position held in that area is no longer held as valid. Therefore it is in effect REJECTED!
Nope, it’s not change. You are just scientifically illiterate to understand but I will give you examples.

Examples 1: Newton’s laws of gravity is accurate as the equation is still very relevant in lunching spacecraft and describe laws of motion on earth and moderate speed but at high speed, the law breaks down hence it cannot work on that realm then Albert Einstein developed the theory of gravity which works better at high speed close to speed of light. If you apply theory of gravity at moderate speed, it will give you same thing as newton law of gravity. It’s not to say that Newton’s aw of gravity is wrong.

Example 2; Dalton’s atomic theory figured that elements contains atoms which contains negative charge and positive charges, he was very correct here but what he missed was the arrangement of the elections and protons. Rutherford came forward and discovered the arrangements, hence we have to modify Dalton’s theory by including the arrangement. Bohr then discovered that the Electrons moved in elliptical clouds called and have can move from one energy state to another, we have to modify Rutherford theory by adding that.

3. Lamarck theory of evolution discovered that certain traits can be passed from parents to offspring, that’s fact but he didn’t account for how those traits are sharpened and how they are being passed to offspring. Later, Charles Darwin discovered that the environment is responsible for selecting these heritable traits by natural selection and this natural selection cause variation, we tested this and it was correct he didn’t figure what caused the transfer of this traits not until Watson and crick discovers DNA and Mendel discovered that DNA is the cause of this hereditary traits, we have to modify Darwin’s theory by adding this to form the modern synthetic theory of evolution.

This is the beauty of science, we accept new knowledge that has evidence and can be proven and we modify what we know before now. It’s not like religion where irrespective of the evidence, they don’t change their mind. We accept new evidence and modify what we have. If you can disprove evolution with facts and testable evidence and not the creation nonsense in the Bible, we will modify The theory of evolution again. As a matter of fact, if you can provide evidence for creation that we can test, we wil immediately replace evolution with it. There’s no shame in that

That’s why I love science

1 Like

Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by TenQ: 1:40pm On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
I am an expert in this field dude.
I have background in biochemistry, so this is literally my field.
I have sequenced several proteins and mapped many genes in my course of study. If you want to have discussion with me in molecular biology or biochemistry then you can be my guest because you will be lost. You barely can differentiate organs from organelles.

There’s literally nothing you want to tell me about metabolism in organisms either prokaryotes or eukaryotes that I don’t know and I don’t see the point you are trying to make with this post.

All living things are the same at the molecular level, it’s evidence that they evolved from a common ancestor.
That wasn't your argument. Don't microbes excrete?
If they excrete, do they not have specialised cells that do that?

You are thrashing too wildly apart.
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 1:51pm On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

That wasn't your argument. Don't microbes excrete?
If they excrete, do they not have specialised cells that do that?

You are thrashing too wildly apart.
Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
grin
Microbes have specialized cells for excreting, do you know anything at all? cheesy

Microbes are unicellular organisms themselves, I have always told you to stop talking science.
Microbes excrete by passively or actively transporting waste proceducr via vacuoles between the extracellular fluid and the cytoplasm.

How can you say microbes have specialized cells to do excretions? grin
Guy grin why can’t you just simply ask for basic explanation for things?

How can a unicellular organisms have specialized cells for excretion?

It is still this same you that doesn’t know what an organ is cheesy

Someone that doesn’t know basic cellular biology now wants to talk about evolution grin
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by TenQ: 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2021
Workch:
Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
grin
Microbes have specialized cells for excreting, do you know anything at all? cheesy

Microbes are unicellular organisms themselves, I have always told you to stop talking science.
Microbes excrete by passively or actively transporting waste proceducr via vacuoles between the extracellular fluid and the cytoplasm.

How can you say microbes have specialized cells to do excretions? grin
Guy grin why can’t you just simply ask for basic explanation for things?

How can a unicellular organisms have specialized cells for excretion?

It is still this same you that doesn’t know what an organ is cheesy

Someone that doesn’t know basic cellular biology now wants to talk about evolution grin
See how you contradict yourself.

Microbes excrete by passively or actively transporting waste proceducts via vacuoles between the extracellular fluid and the cytoplasm.

I beg, what are vacuoles made up of? Cement and Gravels?
Re: See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution by Workch: 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2021
TenQ:

See how you contradict yourself.

Microbes excrete by passively or actively transporting waste proceducts via vacuoles between the extracellular fluid and the cytoplasm.

I beg, what are vacuoles made up of? Cement and Gravels?
Vacuole is a cellular organelle. It’s found “inside” of a cell’s cytoplasm and not a specialized cell.
Are you kidding me that you don’t know this?
You didn’t go animal and plant cell in biology?
What kind of embarrassment is this? grin

Whenever you try to talk about science it’s one mistake or the other grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reflection/homily: Fourth (4th) Sunday Of Easter Year C (good Shepherd Sunday) / There Is God But Not Any Of Our World Religion Own / 8 Questions For Nairaland Atheists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.