Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. (2829 Views)

See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution / The Theory Of Pre-tribulation Rapture Is False. / Part Of Evolution Theory That Got Me Really Confused....can There Be An Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2023
I was a Christian for 27 years, after my undergraduate course in Nigeria, I happened to travel to Poland for my masters degree, I became irreligious while in Poland. I travelled to many parts of Europe: Germany, Netherlands, Spain etc with my student schengen Visa, in the course of travelling, I interacted with many European and debated religion with them. I have not been to the untied states but I have had many conversations with Christians from the United States of America about how they perceive the theory of evolution and these are my observations:

1. European Christians are less conservative than Christian from America and Africa. Albeit, education in America seem to have made those there to be more exposed than their African counterparts but still they are still very conservative.

2. Christians in Europe don't take literal interpretations from the Bible, they see most of the passages to be allegories which are meant to pass spiritual and moral meanings . They don't take the Adam and eve story to be literal hence they do not have issues reconciling their beliefs with the theory of evolution. Christians in America and Africa are mostly literalists, their interpretation of the Bible is literal, this is why they find it difficult to reconcile the Bible with theory of evolution.
Because to them, it means that their literal understanding of Genesis will be wrong.

3. American and African Christians are still overzealous about their religion. Probably because the religion is quite newer in these continent. Christianity has a long history in Europe, so Europeans really don't see a big deal about it anymore. It's also why they accept the Bible as allegorical interpretations instead of thr literal meaning.

4 Likes

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by LordReed(m): 4:38pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:
I was a Christian for 27 years, after my undergraduate course in Nigeria, I happened to travel to Poland for my masters degree, I became irreligious while in Poland. I travelled to many parts of Europe: Germany, Netherlands, Spain etc with my student schengen Visa, in the course of travelling, I interacted with many European and debated religion with them. I have not been to the untied states but I have had many conversations with Christians from the United States of America about how they perceive the theory of evolution and these are my observations:

1. European Christians are less conservative than Christian from America and Africa. Albeit, education in America seem to have made those there to be more exposed than their African counterparts but still they are still very conservative.

2. Christians in Europe don't take literal interpretations from the Bible, they see most of the passages to be allegories which are meant to pass spiritual and moral meanings . They don't take the Adam and eve story to be literal hence they do not have issues reconciling their beliefs with the theory of evolution. Christians in America and Africa are mostly literalists, their interpretation of the Bible is literal, this is why they find it difficult to reconcile the Bible with theory of evolution.
Because to them, it means that their literal understanding of Genesis will be wrong.

3. American and African Christians are still overzealous about their religion. Probably because the religion is quite newer in these continent. Christianity has a long history in Europe, so Europeans really don't see a big deal about it anymore. It's also why they accept the Bible as allegoricsl interpretations instead of thr literal meaning.

Add to that a lack of understanding of what the theory entails. Most Christians who don't understand the theory rather get their information from apologists who often misrepresent the theory. Thankfully when I was still a Christian I decided to understand the theory for myself even though I still believed that the god created all life as we know them today.

1 Like

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 4:41pm On Jul 04, 2023
LordReed:

Add to that a lack of understanding of what the theory entails. Most Christians who don't understand the theory rather get their information from apologists who often misrepresent the theory. Thankfully when I was still a Christian I decided to understand the theory for myself even though I still believed that the god created all life as we know them today.
It's mostly misinterpreted in Africa because of our shambolic educational system
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by LordReed(m): 4:49pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:
It's mostly misinterpreted in Africa because of our shambolic educational system

I don't think it's even taught outside of University courses in Nigeria. I remember back in secondary school even though we had charts depicting evolution, neither the integrated science teacher nor the biology teacher touched on it in 3yrs of JS or 3yrs of SS.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:57pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:

I was a Christian for 27 years

Were you preaching zealously and industriously teaching from house to house and door to door in your neighbourhood? Matthew 10:11-13
Were you baptised as a preacher in your neighbourhood? Matthew 28:19-20
Do you preach about love for neighbours that surpasses nationalism and racism? Mark 12:31
Do you see people from other countries who also believe in Jesus as your most important families {Matthew 12:46-50} just as Jesus Christ commanded his disciples to have love among themselves? John 13:34-35

If your answers to all these questions is "NO" then you were never a Christian but one of the world's misinformed religionists claiming Christians due to ignorance! smiley
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by vdestro: 5:57pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:

That is not True. It is because Africans refuse to be brainwashed and bullied and tricked into accepting something that makes no natural sense, nor is it supported by nature.

Coupled with the fact that we see why it would appeal to people since people have been looking for a way in which they could remove and discard the fear of God from their lives. But the African has seen and known the power of God, therefore, he knows to be very afraid of Him and will not allow any one put him in trouble.

Common the mere fact that he looks for someones trouble and He was punished for it, is it now when he looks for God's trouble that he would be free?

And of course we cannot count how many times we have asked you people who understand it, reasonable questions which you people could not answer.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by paxonel(m): 6:09pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:

3. American and African Christians are still overzealous about their religion. Probably because the religion is quite newer in these continent. Christianity has a long history in Europe, so Europeans really don't see a big deal about it anymore. It's also why they accept the Bible as allegoricsl interpretations instead of thr literal meaning.
nice one!

It's something to learn here.
And so long the theory can be reconciled with scriptures, it doesn't really matter whether it is done literally or in fiction
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by vdestro: 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2023
paxonel:
nice one!

It's something to learn here.
And so long the theory can be reconciled with scriptures, it doesn't really matter whether it is done literally or in fiction

The bible did not say man was a monkey. It Said and The Lord God made man, as different from monkeys which was even made earlier, so, it does not connect with the bible.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Aemmyjah(m): 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:

See someone that says he's a Christian
Very unstable
Like a piece of paper on the ocean
I see where your confusion came from
You could not study the Bible for yourself but only followed the crowd

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Image123(m): 9:50pm On Jul 04, 2023
LordReed:

LoLz, what a fallacy. So only those with your warped view on the theory are correct, while similar students, doctors and professors who don't agree with your views are apologists and misrepresenting it. Clown. You understood the theory while still a true Christian but today to you, Christians cannot understand the theory for themselves and still be Christians. Take your circus to schools all over the world where professing Christians are scoring As in evolution courses. Remove that head quickly from the butt, friend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Image123(m): 9:56pm On Jul 04, 2023
Workch:

You were a nominal insignificant Christian for 27years, not a true Christian. BTW, it's very easy to reconcile the Bible with evolution. The Bible talks about man and his history, not earth. It's not a geology or biology textbook.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Techobeys: 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2023
I have this question for you:

If evolution is true, you you’ll also imagine abiogenesis to be true. If that’s the case, how did plant survive millions of years without humans and animals, especially bc they need our CO2? Conversely, if you think animals came first, how did they survive also seeing the need plant Oxygen?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by paxonel(m): 11:54pm On Jul 04, 2023
vdestro:

The bible did not say man was a monkey.
neither did the theory said man was a monkey

It Said and The Lord God made man,
how long did it take God to made man?

which was even made earlier,

No!
check your bible again, man was the last creation God made.
He had created every other creation before saying let's create man in our own image and likeness

so, it does not connect with the bible.
the problem is, Christians fail to reason along.
A lot of scriptures in the bible are presented figuratively, examples are parables and some prophecies that needs literal interpretations. So it is very possible that Genesis chapter 1 is just one of those scriptures.
But the literal meaning of these kind of scriptures is what is most important to acquire.

For instance,

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

this scripture might just be written this way for a lay man to understand. But in reality, the explanation might go beyond this simple explanation as one may ask, how long does it take for God to form man?
Remember, another scripture says a thousand years is like one day to God?..

So, how long did God really take to form man?
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 1:58am On Jul 05, 2023
Techobeys:
I have this question for you:

If evolution is true, you you’ll also imagine abiogenesis to be true.
yes, abiogenesis has to be the cause of life logically, because life cannot just keep popping from another life ad-infinitum, however, we still do not understand the mechanism hence still don't have evidence for it
If that’s the case, how did plant survive millions of years without humans and animals, especially bc they need our CO2?
I don't know what this got to do with abiogenesis but Carbon dioxide (CO2) has been present in the atmosphere since the Earth condensed from a ball of hot gases following its formation from the explosion of a huge star about five billion years ago. The availability of carbondioxide is the natural selection that caused the first photosynthetic oraganims (archeans) and plants to emanate. These photosynthetic oraganims then release oxygen into the atmosphere that later caused animals to evolve.
Conversely, if you think animals came first, how did they survive also seeing the need plant Oxygen?.
plants came first bec2 the chemical reactions from the formation of earth and volcanic activities already made carbondioxide available for plants to thrive.

1 Like

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:27am On Jul 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

See someone that says he's a Christian
Very unstable
Like a piece of paper on the ocean
I see where your confusion came from
You could not study the Bible for yourself but only followed the crowd

When dealing with atheists and agnostics they are the easiest to silence because they don't know what they want to argue about yet they're the most aggressive argumentators.

If they don't really know the indepth meaning of "CHRISTIANITY" what convinced them that their tag "ATHEISTS" carries the meaning they're giving to it?

Before he always follow me from thread to thread quoting me for arguments now he is running away knowing fully well that i won't play his card with him rather i will change the game after all there is no rules about how the discussion about faith should be.

One thing i have made clear here he was never a follower of that man who commanded his disciples to go preaching zealously and industriously teaching from house to house so he can't say he once practice Christianity!
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Aemmyjah(m): 5:50am On Jul 05, 2023
Workch:
yes, abiogenesis has to be the cause of life logically, because life cannot just keep popping from another life ad-infinitum, however, we still do not understand the mechanism hence still don't have evidence for it
I don't know what this got to do with abiogenesis but Carbon dioxide (CO2) has been present in the atmosphere since the Earth condensed from a ball of hot gases following its formation from the explosion of a huge star about five billion years ago. The availability of carbondioxide is the natural selection that caused the first photosynthetic oraganims (archeans) and plants to emanate. These photosynthetic oraganims then release oxygen into the atmosphere that later caused animals to evolve.
plants came first bec2 the chemical reactions from the formation of earth and volcanic activities already made carbondioxide available for plants to thrive.

If you had study evolution and Abiogenesis the same way you studied the false Christianity you were under, you won't even accept evolution in anyway as many scientists including the irreligious ones don't accept it. They can't even define it and they no longer agree with Darwin's view on it. Slave of Darwin!

Science says that life CANNOT emerge from non life. It has been experimented as well. The theory of Abiogenesis is long dead since the days Louis Pasteur and that is what you have resurrected cos you don't want to accept that life emerged from a living source (God) and you won't feel accountable to him but to selfish desires and foolish philosophy. Where does it leave you? Hopeless, no direction and sense of purpose
Why will our Biology Lecturers tell us not to question Evolution?
Other theories and laws of science are questioned and experimented but they want us to swallow it cos intelligent people believe it. Is that not brainwashing?
Is Tinubu not intelligent
Trump
Louis pasteur
Gregor Mendel
Curie
Jonathan
The list is countless

You can't even create life in the lab even with all the resources and best brains. How much more life arising by accident?

Now, if you were able to create life in the lab. What is the conclusion? That life emerged from a mindful process involving an intelligent designer (Creator) or by accident?

Bible foretold that during times like these, people will leave truth (like life having a life source which is God) and listen to lies that tickle them (that life arose by chance) so that they will refrain from giving glory to the Creator which he richly deserves but to idolatry (mother nature) so that they may appear wise (intelligent). Romans 1: 18-

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by vdestro: 5:56am On Jul 05, 2023
paxonel:

Does the theory not say man evolved from ape (monkey), again?

paxonel:

No!
He had created every other creation before saying let's create man in our own image and likeness

Does it not mean that the monkey was made before man?

paxonel:
A lot of scriptures in the bible are presented figuratively, examples are parables and some prophecies that needs literal interpretations. So it is very possible that Genesis chapter 1 is just one of those scriptures.

The ones that are figurative are very clear eg, "as the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful man upon his bed". But Genesis 1, is very clear, stating how God created the raw materials, (earth) from which He took to make the mannequin called man and how He(God) gave man life, From His Life, through breath and man became a living mannequin.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Aemmyjah(m): 6:10am On Jul 05, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

When dealing with atheists and agnostics they are the easiest to silence because they don't know what they want to argue about yet they're the most aggressive argumentators.

If they don't really know the indepth meaning of "CHRISTIANITY" what convinced them that their tag "ATHEISTS" carries the meaning they're giving to it?

Before he always follow me from thread to thread quoting me for arguments now he is running away knowing fully well that i won't play his card with him rather i will change the game after all there is no rules about how the discussion about faith should be.

One thing i have made clear here he was never a follower of that man who commanded his disciples to go preaching zealously and industriously teaching from house to house so he can't say he once practice Christianity!

Don't mind him
He just follow mummy to church and did not understand anything
Where he had doubts, he did nothing

From his posts, he wrongly attributed the start of Christianity to the Europeans

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by vdestro: 6:16am On Jul 05, 2023
Image123:

You were a nominal insignificant Christian for 27years, not a true Christian. BTW, it's very easy to reconcile the Bible with evolution. The Bible talks about man and his history, not earth. It's not a geology or biology textbook.

Not a christian, just a churchgoer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:47am On Jul 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Don't mind him
From his posts, he wrongly attributed the start of Christianity to the Europeans

Ọmọ some people are totally dumb walahi talahi!

So because Europeans came here with copies of the book therefore those Europeans are practicing what is written in the book! cheesy
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2023
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 7:40am On Jul 05, 2023
paxonel:

No!
But the literal meaning of these kind of scriptures is what is most important to acquire.

For instance,

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

this scripture might just be written this way for a lay man to understand. But in reality, the explanation might go beyond this simple explanation as one may ask, how long does it take for God to form man?
Remember, another scripture says a thousand years is like one day to God?..

So, how long did God really take to form man?
Technically, we evolved from monkeys.
Ape family and the new world monkeys evolved from old world monkeys called catarrhines?

Albeit, I get your point, we didn't evolve directly from monkeys but if you go farther back, we actually did evolve from monkeys and I don't see how that should be a problem for Nigerian christians.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 7:49am On Jul 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Don't mind him

show me where I attributed the start of Christianity to Europe in the OP and win 1milliom naira.
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by paxonel(m): 8:39am On Jul 05, 2023
vdestro:

Does the theory not say man evolved from ape (monkey), again?
The theory says man have a common ancestor with these creatures, not that man evolved from them

Does it not mean that the monkey was made before man?
that's what it suggest!
And, according the theory, homosapien being the most recently evolved primate, originated from natural selection having the most ability to adapt to varieties of climatic conditions compared to other species

The ones that are figurative are very clear eg, "as the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful man upon his bed". But Genesis 1, is very clear, stating how God created the raw materials, (earth) from which He took to make the mannequin called man and how He(God) gave man life, From His Life, through breath and man became a living mannequin.
i understand what you are saying!

You know, there are other ways one can speak figuratively without using allegories but plain words?
For instance, if i say "Obi go to school" you will think i actually meant obi go to school, but in the real sense i meant Obi is learning or he is a learner.

This is what may have applied
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Image123(m): 10:52am On Jul 05, 2023
vdestro:

Not a christian, just a churchgoer.

Yeah, synonym for nominal Christian. Because he thought he was a Christian and will probably fill it in any form as Religion then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Aemmyjah(m): 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2023
paxonel:
The theory says man have a common ancestor with these creatures, not that man evolved from them
that's what it suggest!
And, according the theory, homosapien being the most recently evolved primitive originated from natural selection having the most ability to adapt to varieties of climatic conditions compared to other species
i understand what you are saying!

You know, there are other ways one can speak figuratively without using allegories but plain words?
For instance, if i say "Obi go to school" you will think i actually meant obi go to school, but in the real sense i meant Obi is learning or he is a learner.

This is what may have applied

Where do the apes come from?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by paxonel(m): 4:15pm On Jul 05, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Where do the apes come from?
God created them, who knows when?

Probably they must have evolved from other species
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Aemmyjah(m): 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2023
paxonel:

What are the evidence?
Evolution does not bring about complexities
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by vdestro: 7:32pm On Jul 05, 2023
Image123:

Yeah, synonym for nominal Christian. Because he thought he was a Christian and will probably fill it in any form as Religion then.
grin
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by vdestro: 7:46pm On Jul 05, 2023
paxonel:
that's what it suggest!
And, according the theory, homosapien being the most recently EVOLVED PRIMATE, originated from natural selection having the most ability to adapt to varieties of climatic conditions compared to other species ..

See, the bold, is it not contradictory? Did the theory not say homosapiens evolved to homoerectus, which they say is man?
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by Workch: 8:09pm On Jul 05, 2023
paxonel:

you are wasting your time trying to educate conservatives.
They are the African literals I am talking about in the OP
Re: How Different Regional Christians Accept The Theory Of Evolution. by paxonel(m): 8:22pm On Jul 05, 2023
Workch:
you are wasting your time trying to educate conservatives.
They are the African literals I am talking about in the OP
I know!

Atleast let them be aware that Europe who imported the religion to Africa are currently doing very well now, while Africa practicing the same religion is lagging behind for this same reason

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is God's Wrath Manifested By Eternal Fire At Variance With God's Love? / Is Jesus The Unique Son Of God ? / Live To Give - Pastor Anita

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.