Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,604 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria (28158 Views)

Top 10 Richest Pastors In The World / Nigeria’s Five Richest Pastors And How They Made Their Wealth / Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by r231(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2011
God is good, especially if you’re a Nigerian pastor with some business savvy. These days, millions of souls, desperate for financial breakthroughs, miracles and healing, all rush to the church for redemption. And while the bible expressly states that salvation is free, at times it comes with a cost: offerings, tithes, gifts to spiritual leaders, and a directive to buy literature and other products created by men of God.

Pastors are no longer solely interested in getting people to Heaven; they’ve devised intelligent ways to make good money while reaching out to souls.

Take Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, for example. He is the founder and lead pastor of the Christ Embassy, a thriving congregation with branches in Nigeria, South Africa, London, Canada and the United States. His publishing company, Loveworld Publications, publishes ‘Rhapsody of Realities,’ a monthly devotional he co-authors with his wife. It sells over 2 million copies every month at $1 apiece. He also owns television stations, newspapers, magazines, a hotel, a fast-food chain, and more.

Many other Nigerian pastors are similarly building multi-million dollar empires from their churches. Today, pastors fly around in private jets, drive fancy cars like Daimlers, Porsches and BMWs, don Rolexes and Patek Phillipes, and own breathtaking mansions all over the world.

Bishop David Oyedepo

Affiliation: Living Faith World Outreach Ministry, aka Winners Chapel

Estimated net worth: $150 million

David Oyedepo is Nigeria’s wealthiest preacher. Ever since he founded the Living Faith World Outreach Ministry in 1981, it has grown to become one of Africa’s largest congregations. The Faith Tabernacle, where he hosts three services every Sunday, is Africa’s largest worship center, with a seating capacity of 50,000. Oyedepo owns four private jets and homes in London and the United States. He also owns Dominion Publishing House, a thriving publishing company that publishes all his books (which are often centered on prosperity). He founded and owns Covenant University, one of Nigeria’s leading tertiary institutions, and Faith Academy, an elite high school.

Chris Oyakhilome

Church: Believers’ Loveworld Ministries, a.k.a Christ Embassy

Estimated net worth: $30 million – $50 million

Last year, the charismatic preacher was at the center of a $35 million money laundering case in which he was accused of siphoning funds from his church to foreign banks. Pastor Chris pleaded no wrongdoing and the case was eventually dismissed. His church, Christ Embassy, boasts more than 40,000 members, several of whom are successful business executives and politicians. Oyakhilome’s diversified interests include newspapers, magazines, a local television station, a record label, satellite TV, hotels and extensive real estate. His Loveworld TV Network is the first Christian network to broadcast from Africa to the rest of the world on a 24 hour basis.

Temitope Joshua

Church: Synagogue Church Of All Nations (SCOAN)

Estimated net worth: $10 million – $15 million

Nigeria’s most controversial clergyman is also one of its richest and most philanthropic. T.B Joshua heads the Synagogue Church of all Nations (SCOAN), a congregation he founded in 1987, which accommodates over 15,000 worshippers on Sundays. The Pastor has remained controversial for several years for his inexplicable powers to heal all sorts of incurable diseases, including HIV/AIDS, cancer and paralysis. For miracle-craving worshippers, it’s the perfect seduction. The church currently has branches in Ghana, the United Kingdom, South Africa, and Greece. In the past three years, he has given over $20 million to causes in education, healthcare and rehabilitation programs for former Niger Delta militants. He owns Emmanuel TV, a Christian television network, and is close friends with Ghanaian President Atta Mills.

Matthew Ashimolowo

Kingsway International Christian Centre (KICC)

Estimated net worth: $6 million – $10 million

In 1992, Foursquare Gospel Church, a Nigerian church, sent Ashimolowo to open a satellite branch in London. But Pastor Matthew had other ideas and decided to set up his own church instead. Today, his Kingsway International Christian Center is reportedly the largest Pentecostal church in the United Kingdom. In 2009, the church posted profits of close to $10 million and assets worth $40 million. Ashimolowo earns an annual salary of $200,000, but his real wealth comes from varied business interests including his media company, Matthew Ashimolowo media, which churns out Christian literature and documentaries. Ashimolowo’s representatives did not respond to a request confirming his net worth and ownership of all these assets.

Chris Okotie

Church: Household of God Church

Net worth: $3 million -$10 million

Pastor Okotie made his first success as a popular pop musician in the 80s. He found the light, embraced the bible and set up the Household of God Church, one of Nigeria’s most flamboyant congregations. His 5,000 member church consists predominantly of Nollywood celebrities, musicians, and society people. He contested and lost Nigerian presidential elections for the third time this year under the Fresh Party, a political party he founded and funds. An automobile lover, he owns a Mercedes S600, Hummer and Porsche among several others.

http://blogs.forbes.com/mfonobongnsehe/2011/06/07/the-five-richest-pastors-in-nigeria/
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by dare2think: 11:04am On Jun 09, 2011
"Our God is not a Poor God"

But poor people's tithes/offerings/seeds are welcomed.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by baslone: 11:32am On Jun 09, 2011
Na so now!
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by zstranger: 1:02pm On Jun 09, 2011
The admin/mod of this section is very very very stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid

That is not from 'FORBES' ediots!

This is just someone's opinion, and he just so happen to be blogging on, not FOR, Forbes

This ranking has got nada to do with 'FORBES'

:::::SMH::::
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by adefemi1(m): 1:09pm On Jun 09, 2011
whether na forbes or not it is absolutely true but the fact remains that this pastors are human and must be treated thus. they must invest in human so that their investment must benefit human race.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by GAR3TH(m): 1:12pm On Jun 09, 2011
Its not only in Nigeria, its all over the world,

MEGA CHURCHES SHOULD BE ILLEGAL !!!!!!!!!!!

Even the IRS and FBI are investigating some mega churches in America.

You cant profit from a non profit organization, is religion now a business?

[flash=560,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9oBCLwwL0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

1 Like

Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 1:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
They are rich while their congregations are poor. undecided

Only a fool would give money to these supposed men of God.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
Seriously, u people should let these pastors be, i wonder which Forbes made up this list
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by shadrach77: 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2011
zstranger:

The admin/mod of this section is very very very stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooopid

That is not from FORBES ediots!

This is just someone's opinion, and he just so happen to be blooging on Forbes

This ranking has got nada to do with FORBES

i was about to say the same thing - what concerns Forbes with Nigerian pastors - i'm suprised Chris Okotie made the list  
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2011
What about The Redeemed Christian Church of God?
-
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by scopusng(m): 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2011
I reserve my comment 4 now cos I no wan offend God. A pastor owns 4 private jets?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2011
zstranger:

That is not from FORBES ediots!

This is just someone's opinion, and he just so happen to be blooging on Forbes

This ranking has got nada to do with FORBES

LWTMB. Ask the moderator what the meaning of FORBES is.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by Opusdeii(f): 1:34pm On Jun 09, 2011
What about Pastor Adeboye of the redeem church, which position is he? Is he not richer than #2,#3 and #4?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by DaDoctor: 1:36pm On Jun 09, 2011
oyedepo!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by MMM2(m): 1:41pm On Jun 09, 2011
i luv money.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by kennyisaac(m): 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2011
hey peeps, if u ask me, i'll say we now symbolise pastors with being poor, ds pastors deservs to be rich, if d people who raise dem aint getting more folds,am sure they'll stop doing it, i attend the reddemed church and daddy adeboye once sed he refused a new mercedez benz in the early 80s from a church member because nobody uses such car and it will be too much for a pastor, but God told him 'y withholding the man's blessing', nd he askd GOD y, and GOD sed 'because u didn't kolet his gift"

am sure dis pastors never demanded for money before they pray for pple, they pray and the prayer manifestations bear them gifts,

AV BIN CLOSE TO PASTORS, U GUYZ NEED TO SEE OW OUR PPLE CRAVE TO GIVE PASTORS GIFT, INESTIMABLE ONES, THEY BEG TO DO IT,
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 2:06pm On Jun 09, 2011
Cretins happily surrender their money to them.

Fcking, stewpid mooorons looking for so-called salvation!

If I ever have the misfortune of ever being in a Pentecostal church, when they bring their money-raking, posh collections bag, I will openly only put air in it.

Men of Fraud claiming Men of God and cretins believe.

kennyisaac:

hey peeps, if u ask me, i'll say we now symbolise pastors with being poor, ds pastors deservs to be rich, if d people who raise dem aint getting more folds,am sure they'll stop doing it, i attend the reddemed church and daddy adeboye once sed he refused a new mercedez benz in the early 80s from a church member because nobody uses such car and it will be too much for a pastor, but God told him 'y withholding the man's blessing', nd he askd GOD y, and GOD sed 'because u didn't kolet his gift"

am sure dis pastors never demanded for money before they pray for pple, they pray and the prayer manifestations bear them gifts,

AV BIN CLOSE TO PASTORS, U GUYZ NEED TO SEE OW OUR PPLE CRAVE TO GIVE PASTORS GIFT, INESTIMABLE ONES, THEY BEG TO DO IT,

Stop chatting stewpid crap!

The people keep on waiting and hoping for their "personal miracle" while the pastor quickly gets his private jet.

You are really dumb for believing Adeboye and his deceitful rant of talking with God.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by hbabe(f): 2:10pm On Jun 09, 2011
Christ became poor that we may rich so no harm in His servants being so rich.  BTW how many of us want to have a wretched man as our pastor or General Overseer?
Who wants his GO walking the streets of Lagos with tattered shoes and torn 1920's suits?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by justwise(m): 2:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
hbabe:

Christ became poor that we may rich so no harm in His servants being so rich.  BTW how many of us want to have a wretched man as our pastor or General Overseer?
Who wants his GO walking the streets of Lagos with tattered shoes and torn 1920's suits?

That is not the issue, nobody is saying that pastors should be poor and beg food on the street but its immoral for a pastor to buy FOUR private jets and own houses in London and USA. Even if he was given those private jets and houses, its morally wrong as a man of God to engage in show of wealth while his follower are dying of hunger.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by boyt1: 2:21pm On Jun 09, 2011
Busy bodies in  da house, i hail!. i beg make una leave Pastors alone.
If  owing  a Church is a lucrative business, then why not venture into it who knows you might be one of the millionaires
in Forbes book. Goodluck!
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by dustydee: 2:35pm On Jun 09, 2011
what about rccg?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 09, 2011
sad
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 2:43pm On Jun 09, 2011
"Turned a profit"

I'm sorry but what are they selling?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by Omo0ba(m): 2:44pm On Jun 09, 2011
Religious business men  and women with mammon will continue fleecing and coercing the gullible followers who think the only way to ascend into the hill of the LORD or to stand in His holy place is through earthly MUNDANE POSSESSION and POMP of ROYALTY are totally on the wrong side of the divide of TRUTH as money is simply an article which may be used as a universal passport to everywhere except HEAVEN, and as a universal provider of everything except HAPPINESS; it is indeed a good SERVANT but a DANGEROUS MASTER which has never GUARANTEED anyone access to KINGDOM of GOD.
• Therefore, Ps 24:3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
• Job 15:31 Let not him that is deceived trust in vanity: for vanity shall be his recompense.
• Job 15:35 They conceive mischief, and bring forth vanity, and their belly prepares deceit.  
• Job 35:13 Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it.
• Ps 4:2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? How long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing?
• Ps 10:7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.  
• Ps 12:2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
• Ps 24:4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. Shall ascend into the hill of the LORD and stand in His holy place.
• Ps 39:11 When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makes his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity.
• Ps 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
• Ps 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
• Ps 94:11 The LORD knows the thoughts of man, that they are vanity.
• Pr 21:6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.
• Ec 1:2 Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
Simply in the light of truth!!!
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by ikhideman(m): 2:59pm On Jun 09, 2011
@kennyisaac & hbabe:

Don't mind those who are talking ignorantly, you guys are right on point!!! Don't forget the Bible says , "people perish for lack of knowledge"(Hosea 4:6) If these ignorant critics (no apologies) knew better, they would do better and talk better. "The just shall live by his OWN faith"; not according to how people think he should live.

Enjoy God & His Blessings that make Rich & adds no sorrow with it! CHEERS,
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by queensmith: 3:01pm On Jun 09, 2011
highly doubt this has absolutely anything to do with forbes since

1) Theres lies in the article

2) The networth is a bunch of rubbish!!!- the richest Nigerian pastors arent even on the list, so im guessing its bias

3) Matthew Ashimolowo probably wont qualiy for a top 5 list if he is to be compared to pastors permanantly residing in Nigeria.

Please get your facts straight before chatting utter shiiite!
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by hbabe(f): 3:02pm On Jun 09, 2011
justwise:

That is not the issue, nobody is saying that pastors should be poor and beg food on the street but its immoral for a pastor to buy FOUR private jets and own houses in London and USA. Even if he was given those private jets and houses, its morally wrong as a man of God to engage in show of wealth while his follower are dying of hunger.
It has been argued that owning a string of jets and a house in every major city in the world is a necessity.  Also most of the these big MOGs have foundations/departments that help the needy.
TB Joshua pays school fees for fatherless children in his congregation and also gives allowances to widows; I am sure others do the same.
We can't help every one we come across and the fact that there are poor members in the church should not stop a pastor from enjoying the fruit of his labour.
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 3:03pm On Jun 09, 2011
Niceyenuf:

odes u will not tink of how 2 make your own money. awon olosi. busy bodies. always postin thins about rich pastors. is it a crime 4 a pastor 2 be rich. u will not attack your politicians dat ar d ones eatin your money. is it your money dat made d pastor rich or did d pple dat pay offering complain 2 u? better go and look 4 a job. freaks. mstcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

if not for say you fine, I for lash you now. What is the busy body in this?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by hbabe(f): 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2011
ikhideman:

@kennyisaac & hbabe:

Don't mind those who are talking ignorantly, you guys are right on point!!! Don't forget the Bible says , "people perish for lack of knowledge"(Hosea 4:6) If these ignorant critics (no apologies) knew better, they would do better and talk better. "The just shall live by his OWN faith"; not according to how people think he should live.

Enjoy God & His Blessings that make Rich & adds no sorrow with it! CHEERS,
Thank you jare.
Their arguement is like saying because my mai-guard/driver/househelp are too poor to send their kids to expensive schools then I should not send mine.
All fingers are not equal and whoever threshes the vine should eat thereof.
People forget that it is a church, a place for religious affairs and not the world bank or Unicef offering aids to all and sundry.
Church na business!
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by efepro(m): 3:10pm On Jun 09, 2011
There's nothing wrong if forbes made this list, anybody cud hav come up with dis if proper research and investigation r made, D funny thing is dat,d gap b/w these pastors and some of their members is like d gap b/w politicians and d masses, Nowadays,some pastors,with d pretext of winning souls 4 God win souls 4 their pockets,
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:11pm On Jun 09, 2011
hbabe:

[b]It has been argued that owning a string of jets and a house in every major city in the world is a necessity.  Also most of the these big MOGs have foundations/departments that help the needy.[/b]TB Joshua pays school fees for fatherless children in his congregation and also gives allowances to widows; I am sure others do the same.
We can't help every one we come across and the fact that there are poor members in the church should not stop a pastor from enjoying the fruit of his labour.

Oh please!! dont tell me that u meant  that? Owning houses in london and USA will benefit the needy? Owning 4 private jets will benefit the needy? Owning one of the most epxensive universities in Nigeria will benefit the needy? You want me to believe that?
Re: Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2011
hbabe:

Thank you jare.
Their arguement is like saying because my mai-guard/driver/househelp are too poor to send their kids to expensive schools then I should not send mine.
All fingers are not equal and whoever threshes the vine should eat thereof.
People forget that it is a church, a place for religious affairs and not the world bank or Unicef offering aids to all and sundry.
Church na business!

Actually church is about God's business and not for pastor to enrich himself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / Leke Adeboye & Wife, Rachel Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / Funeral Home Denies Involvement In Alleged Ressurection Of Man By A Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.