Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? (266 Views)

The Four Types Of Tithes As Mentioned in The Bible / Pastor E.A Adeboye Reacts To Daddy Freeze's Comments On Tithes (VIDEO) / OAP Freeze's Biblical Misinformation On Collection Of Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by Sammie0000: 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2021
I've been paying tithes most of my life, today I stumbled upon this website www.biblary.com and realised that these tithes are to be used to Widows and orphans. My church emphasises scriptures about why we should pay our tithes but I never hear them calling Widows and orphans to come and get help

See here [url] https://biblary.com/deuteronomy-14-28-29 [/url]
Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by KingEverest: 4:27pm On Nov 24, 2021
hmm sad
Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by Ammishaddai: 4:48pm On Nov 24, 2021
My brother , if you follow what men do you will never serve God. I agree that tithes and offerings were meant for widows ,orphans and the ministry of the gospel , but nowadays, that purpose has been deviated by men to enrich themselves . Since I discovered that this is the trend , I do not let it disturb me ,because I know that one day, we will all die and give account of what we have done here.

1 Like

Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by Sammie0000: 4:50pm On Nov 24, 2021
Ammishaddai:
My brother , if you follow what men do you will never serve God. I agree that tithes and offerings were meant for widows ,orphans and the ministry of the gospel , but nowadays, that purpose has been deviated by men to enrich themselves . But I don't let that disturb since one day we will all die and give account of what we have done here.

Thank you so much, I am deeply disturbed, should I continue paying my tithes here or find a church which at least understands how this money must be used ?
Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by Ammishaddai: 4:59pm On Nov 24, 2021
Sammie0000:

Thank you so much, I am deeply disturbed, should I continue paying my tithes here or find a church which at least understands how this money must be used ?
My brother, in this end time, all churches have one error or the other regarding tithing , and if you were to go on a journey looking for the right one , you may end up very frustrated. So here is my advice: continue paying your tithe to fulfill all righteousness, but do not forget to extend your hand of mercy to the poor and needy .

There is a proverb that says "He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD, And He will pay back what he has given"(Proverbs 19:17).

Peace

1 Like

Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by MightySparrow: 4:59pm On Nov 24, 2021
Calculate all you have paid and ask your pastors to refund.
Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:46pm On Nov 24, 2021
That's not the original purpose of the tithes, it was instituted as earnings for workers in the temple. God instructed Moses to share all the inheritance between just 12 tribes so that one tribe (Levites) were excluded. But since Moses himself is a Levite there was no murmuring in the camp. Then God said all the 12 tribes have a duty with what they were given as inheritance: yearly or three times in a year (depending on how convenient and the nature of business) they must bring tenth part of their gain for the Levites who had no inheritance! Deuteronomy 14:22-27
So each Israelites no matter the craft or trade must calculate his gain (not total earnings) and divide the gain into ten place, one out of this belongs to the Levites whose job is to stay in the temple all their lives cleaning, offering sacrifices and burning incense in behalf of all the remaining tribes of Israel!
Then God commanded the Levites to also pay tithes, the question now is to whom?
That's to take care of orphans, widows and strangers who happens to be stranded anywhere in Israel.
So widows, orphans and strangers are not required to pay tithes because they are on the final receiving end.

But later after the land has been devastated by enemies due to their idolatry, most Israelites forgot the paying of tithes leading to shortages of food in the temple for Levites. So most Levites abandoned their duties in the temple to go and find something to do to cater for their families! Nehemiah 13:10

Of course when the Levites aren't paid they can't pay tithes which means the orphans, widows and strangers will suffer in Israel the land God Himself planned and organized for pure worship to flourish.
That's why God sent Malachi to remind them that they are robbing Him not because God is the one collecting the tithes but they've turned the whole setting upside down! Malachi 3:6-12

That's the arrangement as God planned it in the Old Covenant, but
What about the New Covenant?
Are Christians required to continue with that system since we no more have anyone offering sacrifices nor incense for our worship?

I am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

If you want me to answer the highlighted just signal by typing "YES"

May you have PEACE! smiley
Re: The Purpose Of Tithes, How They Should Be Used ? by Sammie0000: 7:28am On Nov 25, 2021
I prefer answers from the bible Sir. Give me bible quote to prove your facts here.

(1) (Reply)

Download Myles Munroe Book Free Pdf / Importance Of Christmas Songs And Stories For Children / LET US PRAY: What Do You Want In 2022?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.