Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

How To Spot A Fake Mattress - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Spot A Fake Mattress (4051 Views)

Vitafoam Mattress With Value (foam) (bed) / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) / The Graduation Spot And Other Room! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 4:57pm On Nov 26, 2021
In recent times, With the astronomical rise in the prices of raw materials due to inflation, and general economic downturn, the cost of raw materials has risen astronomically and this has affected the prices of goods and services. The prices of mattress and bedding products like the prices of other goods have also been on the rise. This has equally led to a new wave of counterfeiting or the increase in the incidence of purchasing fake mattresses from the market. Counterfeit goods have gone mainstream and the Mattress manufacturing industry is not spared in this menace.

How to Spot a Fake Mattress
Spotting a fake mattress is not an easy task largely because most mattress scammer does everything possible to a fake mattress to look as original as possible. However, the issue of value and quality arises here because only registered and certified mattress manufacturers will go the extra mile of providing value and quality to their customers. In this article, we shall highlight some of the ways to spot a fake mattress as well as give you general tips on How to Avoid the Common Mattress Industry Scams.

The Brand Tag
One thing a buyer must take note of is the tags on the mattress. Usually, most genuine mattresses have their tags sewn into the seams. As a buyer, it is important to take a lucid look at the tags on the mattress. They should be sewn into the seams, stating not to remove the tag, and the mattress constituent will be clearly stated. This tag may also indicate brand information, the tag also features a lot of important information including the materials used to make your mattress, where and the date it was manufactured, and warranty information, and more. However, scammers can make these tags but sometimes scammers won’t think to be so thorough and do a bad job with the tag.

The Thickness of the Mattress
One of the ways to spot a fake mattress is to measure the thickness of the mattress. Original Mattresses especially from renowned manufacturers do not compromise on standards especially in constructing a durable mattress. A durable mattress that stays comfortable for years should be at least 8 inches thick, including the minimum requirement of a 2 to 3-inch thick comfort layer and a 5 to the 6-inch thick base layer. Usually, the thicker a mattress, the softer it feels. Mattresses need to encompass many materials to add comfort and support to their construction. To spot a fake mattress, it is important to measure the thickness of the mattress. Anything under eight and it might be a scam. In fact, many experts feel that even 8 inches are inadequate.

Weight of the Mattress
To spot a fake Mattress, it is important to examine the weight of the mattress. The average mattress weighs between 20 to 60 kilograms, depending on size, materials, and foam density. That is to say that, the Mattress type, thickness, and size are significant factors that determine mattress weight. Interestingly, if your mattress is obscenely light, it may not be the material it claims to be. If you want to get fancier with it, find out your mattress size in cubic feet. Several manufacturers state that memory foam specifically should weigh at least three pounds for each cubic foot. If it weighs less then it may be a signal that it’s fake.

How to Avoid the Common Mattress Industry Scams
Some of the ways of avoiding being caught on the web include:

Don’t Get Caught Up In the Hype
Unfortunately, a lot of the mattress industry is driven by hype. Manufacturers always come up with new mattresses featuring the latest in sleep technology. Some of these new products and sleep innovations are often overhyped and do not really offer as much as the manufacturer has said. Therefore, it is important that buyers are very specific about what they want to buy considering their personal factors and preferences. The need to be very decisive suffice here. So before buying, spend some time to conduct personal research on what is best for you to enable you to clearly understand the comfort of the mattress option you are considering and not be unduly swayed by the hype.

Buy from a Trusted Brand
Purchasing a mattress directly from a trusted brand and from the brand’s approved outlet is all there is to avoid some of the scams that are prevalent in the open market. Most buyers fall victim to this scam when they want to follow cheap and easy ways of getting a mattress. It’s important that buyers don’t buy from door-to-door salesmen And note if the price seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true. It is equally important to inspect your mattress if you think you’ve been scammed. However, to be double sure of the purchase, the buyer can to do visit the site of the manufacturing company for further verification.

Make Sure a Mattress’ Warranty Really Stands For Something
In order not to fall into a possible scam, it is equally important that a buyer reads the mattress warranty. It is important to note that due to the quest to make more sales, most mattress warranties are practically impossible to fulfill. Most scam manufacturers are tempted to give a super lengthy warranty period to attract customers when they know that such a mattress has a shorter lifespan than even the stated warranty period lengthy. It is outrageous and super fraudulent to give a warranty period length of 20+ years when the product lifespan is between 7-10 years. Therefore buyers should ensure to read in between the lines to spot where insincerity creeps in.

Get a Valid Mattress Trial Period
Offering at-home sleep trials has become the norm for most mattress companies. These trials are designed to help shoppers feel more confident about making such a large purchase without getting to try the product first. This policy is intended to replace the experience of laying on the mattress in a store. Most scammers who are not duly certified by relevant authorities would not want to go through the rigor of mattress trial periods since their products do not pass the basic durability, viability, and functionality tests.

Final Thoughts
Mattress scams can happen to anyone and fake mattresses are everywhere. Therefore, it is important to arm yourself with knowledge and useful information so you aren’t overwhelmed and fall into the hands of scammers.

READ ALSO
https://www.wincofoam.com/does-hypoallergenic-mattresses-really-work/

RECOMMENDED READING
https://www.wincofoam.com/7-tips-to-make-your-bedroom-a-haven-of-tranquility/

https://www.wincofoam.com/5-ways-to-extend-the-lifespan-of-your-mattress/

https://www.wincofoam.com/health-benefits-of-sanitizing-your-mattress/

Source:www.wincofoam.com

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by AbarisFather(m): 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2021
Y4all:
POSTED ON BY WINCO FOAM

In recent times, With the astronomical rise in the prices of raw materials due to inflation, and general economic downturn, the cost of raw materials has risen astronomically and this has affected the prices of goods and services. The prices of mattress and bedding products like the prices of other goods have also been on the rise. This has equally led to a new wave of counterfeiting or the increase in the incidence of purchasing fake mattresses from the market. Counterfeit goods have gone mainstream and the Mattress manufacturing industry is not spared in this menace.

Spotting a fake mattress is not an easy task largely because most mattress scammer does everything possible to a fake mattress to look as original as possible. However, the issue of value and quality arises here because only registered and certified mattress manufacturers will go the extra mile of providing value and quality to their customers. In this article, we shall highlight some of the ways to spot a fake mattress as well as give you general tips on How to Avoid the Common Mattress Industry Scams.

The Brand Tag
One thing a buyer must take note of is the tags on the mattress. Usually, most genuine mattresses have their tags sewn into the seams. As a buyer, it is important to take a lucid look at the tags on the mattress. They should be sewn into the seams, stating not to remove the tag, and the mattress constituent will be clearly stated. This tag may also indicate brand information, the tag also features a lot of important information including the materials used to make your mattress, where and the date it was manufactured, and warranty information, and more. However, scammers can make these tags but sometimes scammers won’t think to be so thorough and do a bad job with the tag.

One of the ways to spot a fake mattress is to measure the thickness of the mattress. Original Mattresses especially from renowned manufacturers do not compromise on standards especially in constructing a durable mattress. A durable mattress that stays comfortable for years should be at least 8 inches thick, including the minimum requirement of a 2 to 3-inch thick comfort layer and a 5 to the 6-inch thick base layer. Usually, the thicker a mattress, the softer it feels. Mattresses need to encompass many materials to add comfort and support to their construction. To spot a fake mattress, it is important to measure the thickness of the mattress. Anything under eight and it might be a scam. In fact, many experts feel that even 8 inches are inadequate.

Weight of the Mattress
To spot a fake Mattress, it is important to examine the weight of the mattress. The average mattress weighs between 20 to 60 kilograms, depending on size, materials, and foam density. That is to say that, the Mattress type, thickness, and size are significant factors that determine mattress weight. Interestingly, if your mattress is obscenely light, it may not be the material it claims to be. If you want to get fancier with it, find out your mattress size in cubic feet. Several manufacturers state that memory foam specifically should weigh at least three pounds for each cubic foot. If it weighs less then it may be a signal that it’s fake.

Unfortunately, a lot of the mattress industry is driven by hype. Manufacturers always come up with new mattresses featuring the latest in sleep technology. Some of these new products and sleep innovations are often overhyped and do not really offer as much as the manufacturer has said. Therefore, it is important that buyers are very specific about what they want to buy considering their personal factors and preferences. The need to be very decisive suffice here. So before buying, spend some time to conduct personal research on what is best for you to enable you to clearly understand the comfort of the mattress option you are considering and not be unduly swayed by the hype.

Buy from a Trusted Brand
Purchasing a mattress directly from a trusted brand and from the brand’s approved outlet is all there is to avoid some of the scams that are prevalent in the open market. Most buyers fall victim to this scam when they want to follow cheap and easy ways of getting a mattress. It’s important that buyers don’t buy from door-to-door salesmen And note if the price seems too good to be true, it is too good to be true. It is equally important to inspect your mattress if you think you’ve been scammed. However, to be double sure of the purchase, the buyer can to do visit the site of the manufacturing company for further verification.

In order not to fall into a possible scam, it is equally important that a buyer reads the mattress warranty. It is important to note that due to the quest to make more sales, most mattress warranties are practically impossible to fulfill. Most scam manufacturers are tempted to give a super lengthy warranty period to attract customers when they know that such a mattress has a shorter lifespan than even the stated warranty period lengthy. It is outrageous and super fraudulent to give a warranty period length of 20+ years when the product lifespan is between 7-10 years. Therefore buyers should ensure to read in between the lines to spot where insincerity creeps in.

Offering at-home sleep trials has become the norm for most mattress companies. These trials are designed to help shoppers feel more confident about making such a large purchase without getting to try the product first. This policy is intended to replace the experience of laying on the mattress in a store. Most scammers who are not duly certified by relevant authorities would not want to go through the rigor of mattress trial periods since their products do not pass the basic durability, viability, and functionality tests.

Final Thoughts
Mattress scams can happen to anyone and fake mattresses are everywhere. Therefore, it is important to arm yourself with knowledge and useful information so you aren’t overwhelmed and fall into the hands of scammers.

READ ALSO

RECOMMENDED READING

Noted
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Mood11: 4:59pm On Nov 26, 2021
For me any mattress that digs hole each time I sit on it is fake smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Klass99(f): 5:42pm On Nov 26, 2021
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by sisisioge: 6:29pm On Nov 26, 2021
Klass99:
Y4all, please what's that thing used on an orthopedic mattress to reduce the hardness and make a bed feel softer and more comfortable.
What is it called, is what I mean.

grin grin grin grin grin

You are in the spirit o....I'm getting one tomorrow. It's still called mattress cover. Check it out on Jumia with that headline.

So I changed my mattress a few weeks back cos the other one was getting too soft and hurting my back. The seller advised that even though it was mouka form and still looks good, the weight wasnt designed to carry the weight it presently carries. So I kukuma bought semi orthopaedic o....chai...my back and asssss have heared it. It is like sleeping on a bare floor. My friend encouraged that I use it for a while to loosen it but chai....cant deal anymore grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Klass99(f): 7:50pm On Nov 26, 2021
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by sisisioge: 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2021
Klass99:

I got my orthopedic because of back pain and it was extremely helpful in alleviating my back pain.

But now, it tends to feel as hard as ply wood, causing poor sleep. Your semi-orthopedic is supposed to be softer than full orthopedic nah.

About two people on this forum said the semi-orthopedic sags after a while, like a regular mattress.

I think so too....but it is still too hard for me now....need to soften it a bit. I cannot even imagine the full orthopaedic feel. Hian!
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Klass99(f): 9:30pm On Nov 26, 2021
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by joinnow: 12:32am On Nov 27, 2021
Mood11:
Exactly
Just go with one orobo friend
Tell her to sit on the foam for 5 minutes and get up.
If there is hole where she sat down on the foam then it's fake

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by sisisioge: 4:26am On Nov 27, 2021
Klass99:

Lol grin

Are you sure that thing is called a mattress cover? That's not the name I recall from the thread where those two users also talked about the semi-orthopedic.

A photo of the thing was even posted and it looked like a padded blanket of some sort. If you go and ask for mattress cover now, what these traders will give you, may be very different from what I saw here.

Fibre mattress topper or protector....my keywords when searching were mattress covers.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Klass99(f): 9:36am On Nov 27, 2021
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by vihflex: 11:48am On Nov 27, 2021
VIHHose Concrete pump hose in a variety of sizes for regular concrete, grout or plaster. Starting from 2″all the way up to 5″in Diameter, all come in 12, 25 & 50 foot sections, we offer high pressure (1,300 PSI) genuine Bridgestone hose for hydraulic pumps. The main concept is to be able to have a strong, high pressure Concrete pump hose to avoid bursting when you plug.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by larrypourl(m): 9:28pm On Nov 28, 2021
sisisioge:

grin grin grin grin grin

You are in the spirit o....I'm getting one tomorrow. It's still called mattress cover. Check it out on Jumia with that headline.

So I changed my mattress a few weeks back cos the other one was getting too soft and hurting my back. The seller advised that even though it was mouka form and still looks good, the weight wasnt designed to carry the weight it presently carries. So I kukuma bought semi orthopaedic o....chai...my back and asssss have heared it. It is like sleeping on a bare floor. My friend encouraged that I use it for a while to loosen it but chai....cant deal anymore grin

This your comment dey fear me oo. Just ordered semi-orthopedic and should be here this week. I'm used to soft foam but wifey needed something harder. Will try it out and update later. How long have you been using yours and what brand ?
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by larrypourl(m): 9:31pm On Nov 28, 2021
joinnow:

Exactly
Just go with one orobo friend
Tell her to sit on the foam for 5 minutes and get up.
If there is hole where she sat down on the foam then it's fake

I don't think it's fake. There are different products for every body weight. Your body weight determines the product you'll get.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Sanmel(f): 10:19pm On Nov 28, 2021
Thanks for this.. I plan to get a good mattress soon
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by sisisioge: 6:20am On Nov 29, 2021
larrypourl:

This your comment dey fear me oo. Just ordered semi-orthopedic and should be here this week. I'm used to soft foam but wifey needed something harder. Will try it out and update later. How long have you been using yours and what brand ?

About a month...Uniform. Mouka was too expensive. Just prepare to buy the topper already.....it is dreadfully too hard for me. However, two people will soften it quick enough though. All the mattresses are recommended based on users' weight.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by larrypourl(m): 7:52am On Nov 29, 2021
sisisioge:

About a month...Uniform. Mouka was too expensive. Just prepare to buy the topper already.....it is dreadfully too hard for me. However, two people will soften it quick enough though. All the mattresses are recommended based on users' weight.

That's good. Ordered for vitafoam and was given 10 years warranty, the semi-orthopedic was recommended based on combined body weight.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by sisisioge: 8:29am On Nov 29, 2021
larrypourl:

That's good. Ordered for vitafoam and was given 10 years warranty, the semi-orthopedic was recommended based on combined body weight.

Awesome! Good luck with it.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 8:56am On Nov 29, 2021
Mood11:
Dear Sir, Thanks for your observation. What you have observed can be referred to as Mattress Sagging and this implies a defect in the mattress and also raises question about its originality. Ideally, a good and original mattress should not sag especially within the duration of its lifespan.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 9:23am On Nov 29, 2021
Klass99:
Y4all, please what's that thing used on an orthopedic mattress to reduce the hardness and make a bed feel softer and more comfortable.
What is it called, is what I mean.
Dear sIR,
Nice to hear from you. What you are attempting to describe basically is a Mattress Topper. It is built to make your Mattress feel softer or harder depending on your need. It's available on any of Winco Foam's depots or distributor's outlets nationwide. Better still, you can place an order by putting a call any of our customer experience officers on 09062010211. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Klass99(f): 9:41am On Nov 29, 2021
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 9:49am On Nov 29, 2021
sisisioge:

grin grin grin grin grin

So I changed my mattress a few weeks back cos the other one was getting too soft and hurting my back. The seller advised that even though it was mouka form and still looks good, the weight wasnt designed to carry the weight it presently carries. So I kukuma bought semi orthopedic o....chai...my back and asssss have heared it. It is like sleeping on a bare floor. My friend encouraged that I use it for a while to loosen it but chai....cant deal anymore grin

Dear Sir,
So Sorry about your experience. Ideally, your weight is supposed to be a determining factor in purchasing a mattress but sadly most people don't or manufacturers would arbitrarily just sell mattresses to people without taking cognizance of this reality.

For us at Winco Foam Industries, we recognize this fact and we are poised more than ever to give you that sleep experience that you crave.
Moving forward, A mattress topper will be an ideal option for you at this point. Basically, Mattress toppers are built to make your mattress firmer or softer depending on what suits you.
To place an order, visit our website on www.wincofoam.com or connect with any of our sleep experts on 09062010211
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 10:14am On Nov 29, 2021
Klass99:

I got my orthopedic because of back pain and it was extremely helpful in alleviating my back pain.

But now, it tends to feel as hard as ply wood, causing poor sleep. Your semi-orthopedic is supposed to be softer than full orthopedic nah.

About two people on this forum said the semi-orthopedic sags after a while, like a regular mattress.

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your comments.

Sir, ideally, the purchase of an orthopedic mattress is ought to be accompanied by a Doctor's prescription after careful diagnosis of the severity of your back pain.

However, For us at Winco Foam industries, our advice to you is to get a mattress topper to help make your mattress softer. Bearing in mind that you could remove the mattress topper anytime you feel you need the sturdiness of the orthopedic mattress.

You can place an order for a Mattress Topper by reaching out to any of our sleep experts on 09062010211.
Thanks.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2021
sisisioge:

I think so too....but it is still too hard for me now....need to soften it a bit. I cannot even imagine the full orthopaedic feel. Hian!

Dear Sir,
So Sorry about how you feel. The inconvenience is better imagined than experienced.

However for us at Winco Foam Industries, our advice is that you opt for a Mattress Topper to give you that softness that you crave.
You can get place an order by visiting us on www.wincofoam.com to locate any of our depots or distributor outlets nationwide or Connect with any of our Customer experience officers on 09062010211.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 10:39am On Nov 29, 2021
Klass99:

Lol grin

Are you sure that thing is called a mattress cover? That's not the name I recall from the thread where those two users also talked about the semi-orthopedic.

A photo of the thing was even posted and it looked like a padded blanket of some sort. If you go and ask for mattress cover now, what these traders will give you, may be very different from what I saw here.

LOL grin grin
You are quite right about not being so sure of the name
What you intend to call is referred to as a Mattress Topper.
Thanks for your comment.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 11:31am On Nov 29, 2021
larrypourl:

Congrats on your new purchase and Thanks for your comment.
Sir/Ma, you need not be afraid of anything.
Sir, you're not alone in having a different preference from your partner.
A Winco Dual side mattress would have been perfect for you or a Winco Customized Mattress that is built with your individual specification which takes cognizance of your body weight and sleep position will be factored in the construction

Reach out to Winco Foam Industries on 09062010211 to speak with any of our Customer experience Officers for further clarification
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 11:37am On Nov 29, 2021
larrypourl:

I don't think it's fake. There are different products for every body weight. Your body weight determines the product you'll get.

Thanks for your comments
Very Apt and instructive comment.
Basically, your body weight is a determining factor as to which mattress that best suits you.
We at Winco Foam industries advise that in trying to make a purchase that will be genuine and authentic, it is best if you purchase from a trusted brand.
Many Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 11:45am On Nov 29, 2021
Sanmel:
Thanks for this.. I plan to get a good mattress soon

Hello Sir,
Thanks for your comment.
Winco Foam as a trusted brand is poised more than ever before to give you a combination of comfort, quality, and value in all its mattresses.
To speak to any of our Customer Experience officers for expert advice, Call 09062010211 to place your order or visit us on www.wincofoam.com to locate any of our depot or distributors outlets closest to you.
Man Thanks as we anticipate your patronage.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by Y4all: 11:52am On Nov 29, 2021
sisisioge:

Hello,
Thanks for your comment.
Quite Apt and absolutely correct in your submission.
For your Mattress Topper, Winco Foam provides you with the best mattress toppers that will give you the best value for your money.
Connect with any of our sleep experts on 09062010211 for professional advice or visit us on www.wincofoam.com to place your order.
Thank you so much as we anticipate your patronage.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by larrypourl(m): 11:14pm On Nov 29, 2021
Y4all:

Congrats on your new purchase and Thanks for your comment.
Sir/Ma, you need not be afraid of anything.
Sir, you're not alone in having a different preference from your partner.
A Winco Dual side mattress would have been perfect for you or a Winco Customized Mattress that is built with your individual specification which takes cognizance of your body weight and sleep position will be factored in the construction

Reach out to Winco Foam Industries on 09062010211 to speak with any of our Customer experience Officers for further clarification

I did before taking my decision, but was told there isn't any distributor in Oyo town.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Mattress by sniperr007(m): 2:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
Y4all:

The Brand Tag

Weight of the Mattress

Buy from a Trusted Brand

Final Thoughts

READ ALSO

RECOMMENDED READING

Source:www.wincofoam.com

Thanks for the information but what about using technology to help consumers verify if the product is fake

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Spend Saturdays As A Super Dad. PHOTOS. / Am Tired Of Being A Housewife I Want To Learn A Skill / Warning! Lets Go Through Story Books Now Before Buying For Kids (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.