Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,512 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

"Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar (2924 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by JeSoul(f): 9:31pm On Jun 09, 2011

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - A frail man sits in chains inside a dank, cold prison cell. He has escaped death before but now realizes that his execution is drawing near.

“I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come,” the man –the Apostle Paul - says in the Bible's 2 Timothy. “I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith.”

The passage is one of the most dramatic scenes in the New Testament. Paul, the most prolific New Testament author, is saying goodbye from a Roman prison cell before being beheaded. His goodbye veers from loneliness to defiance and, finally, to joy.

There’s one just one problem - Paul didn’t write those words. In fact, virtually half the New Testament was written by impostors taking on the names of apostles like Paul. At least according to Bart D. Ehrman, a renowned biblical scholar, who makes the charges in his new book “Forged.”

“There were a lot of people in the ancient world who thought that lying could serve a greater good,” says Ehrman, an expert on ancient biblical manuscripts.In “Forged,” Ehrman claims that:

* At least 11 of the 27 New Testament books are forgeries.

* The New Testament books attributed to Jesus’ disciples could not have been written by them because they were illiterate.

* Many of the New Testament’s forgeries were manufactured by early Christian leaders trying to settle theological feuds.

. . .
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/13/half-of-new-testament-forged-bible-scholar-says/?iref=obinsite

I read the whole article (and some others in support as well) and was hoping for some new discovery or exposition that would lend this unpopular position some credibility . . . all I got was another fantastic scholastic opinion being paraded as fact. Nevertheless some interesting bits of info/thoughts from the guy sha.

Me sef I will soon write my own book, the more outrageous the better . . . "Paul was a Pirate of the Carribbean" . . . I dare you to prove me wrong.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Sweetnecta: 10:12pm On Jun 09, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^ MashaAllah. Allahu Akbaru Kabira.

omo girl, i see you in hijab. Allah will make my hope you a reality; for you and your husband and future children and all your folks.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 09, 2011
JeSoul:

I read the whole article (and some others in support as well) and was hoping for some new discovery or exposition that would lend this unpopular position some credibility . . . all I got was another fantastic scholastic opinion being paraded as fact. Nevertheless some interesting bits of info/thoughts from the guy sha.

Me sef I will soon write my own book, the more outrageous the better . . . "Paul was a Pirate of the Carribbean" . . . I dare you to prove me wrong.

Discrediting the truth does not change the fact that truth remains truth.

From since when time began, deception has always walked side by side with the truth to turn away the simple from the path of LIFE.

My Joy is that GOD remains GOD despite all these rubbish writeups by men of corrupt and reprobate minds.

With all the latest books , many of which are blasphemous about Christ, it is a sure sign that SATAN is working 24*7 on those who just love a LIE.

"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil." - John 3:19

1 Like

Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 09, 2011
Sweetnecta:

omo girl, i see you in hijab. Allah will make my hope you a reality; for you and your husband and future children and all your folks.

Lol, grin.

Hijab is a sign of BONDAGE

Come to Jesus and be free, lay aside all your dead works that cannot save you.

My brother, on the day of judgement , if you reject the ONLY PATH of SALVATION you shall be naked and bare before the presense of the ALMIGHTY GOD , the King of kings and Lord of Lords, Your case shall be horrible indeed.

Now while there is time, his arms are spread out towards you in LOVE, do not reject HIM.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by aletheia(m): 11:18pm On Jun 09, 2011
frosbel:

^
Historically the hijab was the female temple prostitute's way of dressing in the Middle East. That is why Judah did not recognize Tamar in Genesis 38:15: When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face.

Is it to be wondered that there are striking similarities between the RCC nun's habit and the hijab?
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Seun(m): 11:32pm On Jun 09, 2011
JeSoul:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/13/half-of-new-testament-forged-bible-scholar-says/?iref=obinsite

It's a fact well known by theologians (this includes priests and pastors who went to the seminary) that many books in the bible were not written by the people they were attributed to traditionally.  There's nothing new or controversial about that, really.  This book is just promoting the stale gist.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Sweetnecta: 12:28am On Jun 10, 2011
@Frosbel; « #3 on: Yesterday at 10:23:27 PM »
[Quote]Quote from: Sweetnecta on Yesterday at 10:12:08 PM

Lol, Grin.

Come to Jesus and be free, lay aside all your dead works that cannot save you.

My brother, on the day of judgement , if you reject the ONLY PATH of SALVATION you shall be unclothed and bare before the presence of the ALMIGHTY GOD , the King of kings and Lord of Lords, Your case shall be horrible indeed.

Now while there is time, his arms are spread out towards you in LOVE, do not reject HIM.]/Quote]All of the above including your invitation to me are based on a fraud called 'word of God'. thanks. but no. should i be blind in faith that i center my life around a fraud, forgery; the Bible?

@aletheia (m) « #4 on: Yesterday at 11:18:07 PM »
[Quote]Quote from: frosbel on Yesterday at 10:23:27 PM
^
Historically the hijab was the female temple love-peddler's way of dressing in the Middle East. That is why Judah did not recognize Tamar in Genesis 38:15: When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face.

Is it to be wondered that there are striking similarities between the RCC nun's habit and the hijab?[/Quote]the mother of Jesus was Mary. i am sure she was naked like women walking down your street in her summer pants, with her butt cheeks out for your biblical enjoyment. you are a shameless young man. instead of you crying and wailing that JeSoul's threat has chattered your empty hope of salvation, before you die, your heart is hardened instead, refusing to seek true salvation and pleasure of your Creation; the religion of Islam is the only path for human safety.

see what the bible says about walking around naked. i know you love them like that. but jesus would not let his mother walk around nude. you are a real christian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6p5w5adsU4&feature=relmfu[/quote]
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Sweetnecta: 12:33am On Jun 10, 2011
Watch this video, pay attention to the 23th minute of the documentary. it says around there that your bible is a forgery;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZngakrNOg&playnext=1&list=PL74AF580AEF92FDE3
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Sweetnecta: 1:10am On Jun 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PQ6_0gJUE&feature=related

God's Word is not the Bible. Those who say it is with straight face are lying to us.

their hearts say differently.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:17am On Jun 10, 2011
Emperor Constantine tampered with d New Testament. d day of christmas is actually d day d Sun God, Sol Invictus was born, during d Winter Solistice. jesus was born sumtime around Jan or so.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by mazaje(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2011
This is stale news actually. . . . The fact is many of the authors of the bible did not write the books that carry their names. . . .All the gospels for examples were written decades after the events the recorded happened, they were written in 2nd or 3rd person narrative and the authors never said they know or were together with Jesus in any part of the gospels, even when the names of the authors were written it doesn't even come close to show that they were the ones writing the stories. . . .

The bible VERY clearly states in the book of acts that Peter and John were illiterates who spoke Aramaic how then can they write books decades(about 10 or more) after the death of Jesus in Greek?. . . The gospels were written in Greek by very educated Greek speaking Christians not the Aramaic illiterate disciples of Jesus. . . . .

I saw the Christian apologist on the write up trying to claim that Peter and John were literate when the bible says they aren't. . . . .He was saying because they were fisher men they had to be educated as if they aren't many illiterate business men and women around. . . .Even in Nigeria and the world over today there many people that do business that can not even write down their names. . . .
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by mazaje(m): 9:17am On Jun 10, 2011
Sweetnecta:

What the hell is this deluded slave of Allah saying?. . . . .The koran is not better than the bible. . . .It is just a plagiarized version of the bible with Arabic myth, fantasies and ideas. . . . .No body even pays attention to the Koran because its a complete waste of time. . . . .
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 10, 2011
JeSoul:

So what are the real "facts"? That your favorite mythology which is composed of fantastic stories written by unknown people claiming to be eye witnesses is actually TRUE? Lol

When you write your book, just claim that you're the disciple Thomas' descendant and you have scrolls written by him describing the infamous episode of Jesus walking on water.

Sweetnecta:

Hijab, lmao.
Hey Mohammed, the bible being bullsh_t makes your own littl book bullsh_t as well so stop celebrating already.
Despite the craziness in Christianity, at least they don't force women to put on hijabs in order to prevent sexual assaults from Arab barbarians without self control.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by MyJoe: 11:09am On Jun 10, 2011
Sweetnecta:

Yeah. But let's make it a niqab, Alhaji. That one is purer and omo girl JeSoul will probably prefer it.

Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 10, 2011
MyJoe:

Yeah. But let's make it a niqab, Alhaji. That one is purer and omo girl JeSoul will probably prefer it.

Just seeing this picture makes me want to be a Muslim! She looks so beautiful and free in that Niqab.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by tpia5: 11:26am On Jun 10, 2011
Yes, the atheists, cultists and naysayers have been hibernating lately, and we missed them cos the section had gotten too quiet.

Is that the reason for the thread?
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Sweetnecta: 11:38am On Jun 10, 2011
@MyJoe and Martian; there is no benefit in standing in opposition just because you love to be in opposition when there is no good reason to oppose.

the woman in the picture you are making a wise crack about is in an urban and cosmopolitan location based on the background of the picture. she chose to niqab, better and more preserved than the girl who is almost stark naked in the other car of the same train.

a rapist will grab that girl while the muslim woman will be left alone; such outcome is the benefit of wearing niqab and obvious means of protection from Allah because she obeys Him, while the naked woman didn't.

i prefer my women like that; believers who are obedient.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by MyJoe: 12:53pm On Jun 10, 2011
^^^
Actually I meant to say Burqa. I think our omo girl will look trendier in this and I am sure you prefer your women in it, as it's much more obedient than the hijab or niqab, both of which you mistakenly praised earlier, plus it'll be more effective at deterring the more hardened despoilers:

Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by JeSoul(f): 2:49pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sweetnecta:

MyJoe:

ROTFLOL @these funny guys . . .  Sweetnecta you are funny grin. Thank you for the prayer sha, but I'll have to pass on the hijab, its really really hot these days in Boston.

tpia@:

Yes, the atheists, cultists and naysayers have been hibernating lately, and we missed them cos the section had gotten too quiet.

Is that the reason for the thread?
  Actually my sister it was dual purpose: 1- you correctly noted. 2 - to show how the same stone the author stumbled over would be subsequently stumbled over by others of similar disposition. In other words - much of biblical scholarship is pure conjecture, none of it is based on any 'evidence' but rather one's own personal interpretation of a text.

They don't see that they're committing the same crime they accuse religious people for grin
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by JeSoul(f): 2:56pm On Jun 10, 2011
Seun:

It's a fact well known by theologians (this includes priests and pastors who went to the seminary) that many books in the bible were not written by the people they were attributed to traditionally. There's nothing new or controversial about that, really. This book is just promoting the stale gist.
I think the guy is actually going a step further . . . alleging a willful, calculated and systematic conspiracy by these 'ghost writers'.

mazaje:
I saw the Christian apologist on the write up trying to claim that Peter and John were literate when the bible says they aren't . . . . .He was saying because they were fisher men they had to be educated as if they aren't many illiterate business men and women around. . . .Even in Nigeria and the world over today there many people that do business that can not even write down their names. . . .
Actually what he said was that just because Peter and John were fisherman does not automatically mean they could not write or were uneducated. Does the probability favor the contrary? sure - but this is not by any means conclusive proof, but rather a guess, mere speculation - that is entertained by you solely because it supports your premise on the illegitimacy of the bible.

Abi na lie I talk? cheesy
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Enigma(m): 3:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
^^ Even if they couldn't "write", has anybody heard of amanuenses? In fact in one of the epistles, it was clear that it was dictated and the "dictator" later put his hand/signature. In Romans, Tertius stated clearly that he wrote down the letter for Paul.

In any event neither Ehrman's scholarship nor his arguments are new.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by mazaje(m): 6:13pm On Jun 10, 2011
JeSoul:

Actually what he said was that just because Peter and John were fisherman does not automatically mean they could not write or were uneducated. Does the probability favor the contrary? sure - but this is not by any means conclusive proof, but rather a guess, mere speculation - that is entertained by you solely because it supports your premise on the illegitimacy of the bible.

Abi na lie I talk? cheesy

How far? How you dey?. . . . .It's the bible that says they were illiterates and not Barth Erman. . . . .
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by JeSoul(f): 7:35pm On Jun 10, 2011
mazaje:

How far? How you dey?. . . . .
I dey oh jare. You didn't answer that my question on that other thread . . . how many girls now? grin

It's the bible that says they were illiterates and not Barth Erman. . . . .
Actually, its Erman's interpretation of the bible that says they were illiterates who could not write or compose. There are plenty of equally accredited scholars who disagree with him.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by JeSoul(f): 7:39pm On Jun 10, 2011
Enigma:

^^ Even if they couldn't "write", has anybody heard of amanuenses? In fact in one of the epistles, it was clear that it was dictated and the "dictator" later put his hand/signature. In Romans, Tertius stated clearly that he wrote down the letter for Paul.

In any event neither Ehrman's scholarship nor his arguments are new.
Foul! grin how do you know they knew how to 'dictate'? grin prove me wrong.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by thehomer: 9:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
JeSoul:

Actually, this view is mainstream and most seminaries teach these facts. The problems arise when the pastors who know these things generally refuse to tell their congregation some claim it is for fear of upsetting them and what not. I think it is simply to maintain power.

If I may ask, what bits of information did you find interesting?
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Enigma(m): 1:38am On Jun 11, 2011
JeSoul:

Foul! grin how do you know they knew how to 'dictate'? grin prove me wrong.

How do you know that they knew how to "dictate"?  grin

They couldn't have "dictated" because the gospel and epistles contained big words, big grammar, and this unlettered people couldn't have known those big words and big big grammar.  wink

Seriously, for a minute, people see what they want to see. Let me give you an example: even in my grandfather's time, some one who had only studied up to "Standard Six" would be considered "unlettered" compared to a secondary school let alone a University graduate. Yet what do you say to the level of literacy and even competence in "big grammar" of the Standard six of yore.

(Nowadays graduates write "given" for "giving" and vice versa; I have even seen some of the "highly intellectual" people here write all sorts including writing "been" for "being" etc etc; anyway, I digress)

The bottom line is no one has proved, perhaps no one can prove, that X did not write that epistle or the other. They can make claims, they can have their "academic or scholarly orthodoxy" --- but where is the proof? A case of all hat and no cattle and all that.

The sciolists jumping on the band wagon of course do not consider the limits of textual/higher criticism. By the way did Shakespeare write all those things or was it Marlowe or Bacon or . . .?
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by ogoamaka99(m): 6:53am On Jun 11, 2011
@poster,
   It is a high time people begin to reason well. Everybody is free to say anything about the BIBLE. But the question is "the writer who is he or she? What made him/her a BIBLE scholar?  The new testament the person is referring to, is it that of the BIBLE ?"
   A satanism may claim to be BIBLE SCHOLAR, so first ascertain the identity of the author and the truth of what the author is saying.
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by OmoTier1(m): 5:50pm On Jun 11, 2011
Haha! This one is really funny. So now it is a claim that the Apostle were ilitrates -so can not read nor write-. A very lame posit in itself! Apostle Paul clearly boasted to the church in conrithians, Galatians, Philippians and many more that He was a "trained legalist" as a Jew! Can someone remind me again who 'train legalist' were in Apostle Paul's days?

And wait a minute, weren't some of the Apostles tax collectors or friends of tax collectors? Can someone also remind me again of what kind of associations were often formed in those days?

Abeg, lets leave this one aside, and deal more with the ever present facts that continually being proven by different historians using modern techniques to show that the datings of these NT books actually matched the period the authors were in the location as claimed !
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Sweetnecta: 10:20pm On Jun 11, 2011
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Princiology(m): 11:50pm On Jun 24, 2019
Well, do a good study on the New Testament books before you agree or disagree to them being forged. Here is a list of all New Testament books, their chapter numbers and they link to where you can read them on PRINCIOLOGY.COM

1. Matthew (28 Chapters)
2. Mark (16 Chapters)
3. Luke (24 Chapters)
4. John (21 Chapters)
5. Acts of the Apostles (28 Chapters)
6. Romans (16 Chapters)
7. 1 Corinthians (16 Chapters)
8. 2 Corinthians (13 Chapters)
9. Galatians (6 Chapters)
10. Ephesians (6 Chapters)
11. Philippians (4 Chapters)
12. Colossians (4 Chapters)
13. 1 Thessalonians (5 Chapters)
14. 2 Thessalonians (3 Chapters)
15. 1 Timothy (6 Chapters)
16. 2 Timothy (4 Chapters)
17. Titus (3 Chapters)
18. Philemon (1 Chapter)
19. Hebrews (13 Chapters)
20. James (5 Chapters)
21. 1 Peter (5 Chapters)
22. 2 Peter (3 Chapters)
23. 1 John (5 Chapters)
24. 2 John (1 Chapter)
25. 3 John (1 Chapter)
26. Jude (1 Chapter)
27. Revelation (22 Chapters)
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by xproducer: 1:56am On Jun 25, 2019
Foolish claim! Many witnesses are saying one consistent thing, then one guy on CNN supposedly is saying something different? If you like, follow d guy wey dey CNN.

"For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: “That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged.” - Romans 3:3-5

"For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time." - 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
Re: "Half Of The New Testament Was Forged" - Bible Scholar by Originakalokalo(m): 3:48am On Jun 25, 2019
When I read the bible and I experience the bible, I come to a conclusion that God, through his spirit, has left us the most valuable document of all time and ages.

Spiritual experiences are all the same with biblical accounts...

This is it: If you have experienced God on a Private level, Bible aside, you will see that every word written in the scriptures are true.

Search the scriptures and compare it with my personal experiences...

1. I have had peace even when every situation around me was trouble, I mean serious trouble.

2. I have seen things that will happen in future with all accuracy as they come to pass.
3. I have heard the holy spirit speak.

4. I have been healed, personally of a terrible disease that had existed for more than 30 years...I have also read accounts of healings that are not fake. Rccg Ondo woman comes to mind.

5. I have prayed for someone and was healed in the name of Jesus.

I could count them all.

Let me finish with this. The Bible has mentioned that many people will leave the faith in the last days, before the end of the world.

They will leave because there will be unprecedented attack on the word of God. They will leave because they don't have personal experience with God.

The gates of hell will only try to shred the word of God,...

But the word of God will stand forever.

I once saw Jesus. He came to my room, picked my bible and flip it open randomly.

As he flipped, he got to notable and popular verses with so much accuracy. I marveled but could not say a word.

While coming to my House, I knew it was him. People he met on the street knew it was him.

They said...."it is the Lord", "it is the Lord" and they ran away from him as though they were not worthy of coming close.
While he sit and flipped the bible, he didn't say a word and my daughter came closer to play with him...she was a baby at the time....

Myself and my wife stayed in the kitchen and looked from a distance... He flipped and flipped and left, without saying a word.

It was at the beginning of my Christian life.

This vision is one of the best thing that has ever happened to me...

When I woke up, I knew (I just know) that the master had appeared to me to give credence to his word.

My study of the scriptures and the understanding that followed grew afterwards.

More and more attack will come against the word of God. That's why many will fall away more.

But as for me and my house,
Jesus is Lord forever and his word is true.

(1) (Reply)

Mohammed And Fathima, A Special Father And Daughter Relationship / Is This The Height Of Religious Delusion? / Practical Benefits Of Being In A Church Atheists Want You To Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.