Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots (6657 Views)

Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria / See What An Indian Expatriate Wrote About Nigeria / DSS: There’s An ‘influx’ Of Boko Haram Into Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 11:37pm On Jun 09, 2011
Thursday, June 9, 2011[size=14pt]
Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots
[/size]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-lB8MEpGMzoU/TfD6gyYAJvI/AAAAAAAADnw/Kiy-IkJQF1M/s1600/.jpg[/img]

Jobless licenced Nigerian pilots numbering about 30 yesterday stormed the premises of the Nigerian Association of Aircraft and Pilots, NAAPE, to protest the influx of expatriates in the country’s aviation industry. The protesters, who demonstrated at the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos, said that the invasion of expatriate pilots and engineers has rendered them jobless.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/06/unemployed-nigerian-pilots-protest.html
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Seun(m): 11:39pm On Jun 09, 2011
They should travel out to look for jobs, or address the reason why airlines prefer to hire expensive expatriates.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by snowdrops(m): 11:50pm On Jun 09, 2011
they are well within their rights to stage this protest. as this is their country of birth, they should be given first preference for jobs before foreigners. afterall this same rules apply in the country of origin of these so called expatriates.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 11:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
snowdrops:

they are well within their rights to stage this protest. as this is their country of birth, they should be given first preference for jobs before foreigners. afterall this same rules apply in the country of origin of these so called expatriates.

When South Africans or Oyinbos do the same, y'all will start complaining about racism or xenophobia. Do you know how many of their kinsmen scattered everywhere in the world in search of jobs which should have gone to the citizens of that particular country?. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by udezue(m): 11:57pm On Jun 09, 2011
Hiring should be done by merit and if these jobless pilots meet the necessary standards then why hire immigrants? The problem with Nigerians is that they won't invest in their own but prefer to waste money hiring from outside. Anything foreign turns them on.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Seun(m): 11:58pm On Jun 09, 2011
Expatriates are far more expensive than locals. If airlines prefer to hire them, there must be a good reason.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 12:02am On Jun 10, 2011
udezue:

Hiring should be done by merit and if these jobless pilots meet the necessary standards then why hire immigrants? The problem with Nigerians is that they won't invest in their own but prefer to waste money hiring from outside. Anything foreign turns them on.

The market should be free and fair. If every country adopts this policy of yours, how will Nigerians in the UK and US get jobs before their citizens?.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by DisGuy: 12:05am On Jun 10, 2011
aloy/emeka:

The market should be free and fair. If every country adopts this policy of yours, how will Nigerians in the UK and US get jobs before their citizens?.

seems you are quoting the wrong person, Those in UK and US obviously got the job on merit
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by DisGuy: 12:07am On Jun 10, 2011
Maybe the airlines wants to pay them peanuts and secondly the number of planes in the country is obviously not enough

They should learn french and Spanish explore other African countries
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 12:12am On Jun 10, 2011
Dis Guy:

seems you are quoting the wrong person, Those in UK and US obviously got the job on merit

If they got their jobs on merit, why can't our own pilots strive to outclass their foreign counterparts instead of whining?. The problem here is that Nigerians are so used to quota system and ethnic sharing of bread that getting things on merit seems to be an impossible task for them.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Ikengawo: 12:21am On Jun 10, 2011
you can bribe your way through flight school in nigeria

therefore nigerian flight school credentials have no meaning.
dont blame the airlines for being wise.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Wizardofoz: 1:07am On Jun 10, 2011
Seun:

They should travel out to look for jobs, or address the reason why airlines prefer to hire expensive expatriates.

The most intelligent post I have seen on NL. shocked

No job, travel out!

Anything more obtuse would have been criminal!
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Wizardofoz: 1:09am On Jun 10, 2011
aloy/emeka:

If they got their jobs on merit, why can't our own pilots strive to outclass their foreign counterparts instead of whining?. The problem here is that Nigerians are so used to quota system and ethnic sharing of bread that getting things on merit seems to be an impossible task for them.

And you think sleeping around on NVS is your idea of MERIT?
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 1:14am On Jun 10, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Wizardofoz: 1:18am On Jun 10, 2011
^^^

HEy dont act innocen-T, Blazay has exposed you and your ways on NVS

Madam, I love a/n/a/l!

Kai, Naija women

Alowmwka aka omo ngbatim aka myne white aka First lady

You woro wor no be small
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 1:19am On Jun 10, 2011
Wizardofoz:

^^^

HEy dont act innocen-T, Blazay has exposed you and your ways on NVS

Madam, I love a/n/a/l!

Kai, Naija women

Alowmwka aka omo ngbatim aka myne white aka First lady

You woro wor no be small
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Rhino5dm: 1:47am On Jun 10, 2011
This is a step in the right direction. Being an expertiates does not necessary mean more experience, it may be due to the quest of CHEAP labour or the lust for anything foriegn.Believe me, it may be cheaper to hire an indian technician in Nigeria. 

secondly, our labour laws are very porus to prevent the influx of other citizens. In places like Angola, No expertriate will exceed the limit of stay which is 3 years, The government stipulates that period frame as the a maximum time which the expertriate should have impacted his "knowledge" if he has any, on the locals.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by tpia5: 2:18am On Jun 10, 2011
there's a global recession and besides, the pay in nigeria might be better than what the foreign pilots could make in their own countries.

so, coming to nigeria would give them an edge especially since they're foreign.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by tpia5: 2:21am On Jun 10, 2011
the article mentions engineers as well.

i wonder why doctors arent also included.

i guess the incentives for foreign doctors to practice in nigeria might not be there.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Rhino5dm: 2:22am On Jun 10, 2011
Edited.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by aloyemeka1: 2:46am On Jun 10, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

I call Bullshyyt on this one. What are you on to? There are places you will utter such and be lynched!. Expertriates are FAR more experience my foot.
Honestly this is one of dumbest post i have ever read on NL. Where is your statistics?
Look, i have worked ALL my life in a multinational and i can tell you majority of these so-called expertriates learn everything from the LOCALS on jobs, here in Nigeria. In fact a handful number of them come in as TRAINEES. Stay on what you know, i would have physically attack you if you will have utter this BS in my face. I was a victim of this non sense and so are many Nigerians.

Did you think those guys did not know what they doing for coming out to demostrate or what? Don't be surprised to see that they all trained in abroad.

why do we have the local contents laws in place? Though i shouldn't expect less from someone with PDP ideology.

Majority of the so-called expertriates are junks, some are ex convits which may finds it difficult in securing a job in their country of origins. Thus, giving then oversea jobs is a form of economical help to their countries.

Seun asserts that expats are more expensive and you are abusing him with a false claim. Where did he claim that expats are more experienced?
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by tpia5: 3:16am On Jun 10, 2011
the full article:

Over 30 unemployed but licensed Nigerian pilots and engineers have protested the influx of expatriates in the aviation industry and stormed the office of the Nigerian Association of Aircraft and Pilots (NAAPE) where they demanded that government should step in before the sector is taken over by foreigners.

The protesters took their case to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, where they demonstrated, lamenting that the incursion of expatriate pilots and engineers in the industry had rendered them jobless despite the fact that they are qualified personnel.

The industry exceeded its expatriate quota in spite of the dearth of manpower in the industry, one of the reasons why the Nigerian professionals are unemployed.

One of the protesters who did not disclose his identity alleged that aeronautic graduate engineers who are not even type rated on any aircraft are given employment by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) to issue licence to aircraft maintenance engineers.

The aggrieved protester also accused the regulatory body of not conducting any licence examinations for upcoming aviation practitioners for almost a year, stressing that the situation was not good for the development of the sub-sector.

“With a deeper research, by design of their profession, aeronautic personnel are supposed to be in the factory where aircraft are being manufactured. Aeronautical engineers are destroying the future of the licensed aircraft maintenance engineers in the country.”

But the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority said that it does not have expatriates in its employment, disclosing that the only expatriate working in the organisation is being paid by the World Bank.

The regulatory body dismissed the allegation that its aeronautical engineers are not type rated, saying that NCAA was rated 93 per cent compliant by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).

The protesters called on President Goodluck Jonathan to appoint a technocrat from the industry, preferably an air traffic controller, cabin crew personnel, pilots and engineers as the minister of aviation in this dispensation.

“In the air transport industry, aeronautical engineers belong to the designers and the manufacturers of aircraft, they have little relevance in the airline operation because they are not licensed to practise. In Nigeria, we only fly and maintain aircraft and the core professionals are the aforementioned professionals that are licensed.”

Addressing the aggrieved personnel, the National President of NAAPE, Engr. Isaac Balami, urged the protesters to be patient with the government and assured them that President Jonathan would listen to the voice of stakeholders and professionals in the industry by appointing core aviator as the next minister of aviation.

He said, “As far as NAAPE is concerned, you should be patient, because this agitation commenced not too long ago and we should not raise any dust in the sector. NAAPE and other professionals are trying to canvass for the appointment of aviation professional as the Minister of Aviation and I’m sure we are on course.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/pilots-engineers-protest-influx-of-expatriates/92960/
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Rhino5dm: 3:21am On Jun 10, 2011
My bad! My mistake! My apology!
Do me favour by removing the qoute.

aloy/emeka:

Seun asserts that expats are more expensive and you are abusing him with a false claim. Where did he claim that expats are more experienced?
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Jakumo(m): 5:29am On Jun 10, 2011
Ikengawo:

you can bribe your way through flight school in nigeria

therefore nigerian flight school credentials have no meaning.
dont blame the airlines for being wise.

Holy chit. I have heard of Nigerian university degrees being sold to semi-literate area boys and part-time hookers, but could this possibly be true in the aviation academies ?

Also, are there in fact any other Nigerian avaition academies besides the one in Zaria ?
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by DisGuy: 5:37am On Jun 10, 2011
The protesters called on  President Goodluck Jonathan to appoint a technocrat from the industry, preferably an air traffic controller, cabin crew personnel, pilots and engineers as the minister of aviation in this dispensation.

Holy Cow!!

the so called ministry should be scrapped and placed as an independent aviation department under Ministry of Transportation!
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by DisGuy: 5:39am On Jun 10, 2011
Jakumo:

Holy chit. I have heard of Nigerian university degrees being sold to semi-literate area boys and part-time hookers, but could this possibly be true in the aviation academies ?

Also, are there in fact any other Nigerian avaition academies besides the one in Zaria ?

There's a new on e in Ilorin meant to start this September/October
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Jakumo(m): 5:47am On Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for that information Dis Guy. So it appears that Nigeria has a grand total of ONE aviation academy, with a second one in the works. I wonder what sort of simulators the country has, because there are apparently a couple of those in operation.

Also, are Nigerian airlines are just as reluctant to hire Nigerian pilots who happened to have been trained in say, South Africa, as opposed to having earned their wings in Zaria, Nigeria ?

This news still strikes me as odd, because I happen to know a highly accomplished combat veteran Nigerian airforce pilot who swears that Nigerian commercial pilots are among the more skilled out there, particularly when it comes to wild weather operations.

Enquiring minds want to know.
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by DisGuy: 6:12am On Jun 10, 2011
hmm you have to consider the fact the NCAT, allegedly didnt train flight pilots for about 10 years, only training ground crew due to lack of funds
and when they got some funding sent trainees outside the country for 'proper' instructions

Some few years ago Arik has scholarships for pilot trainees so i'm guessing they will take some on afterwards

I'm sure it was the shiznit back in the day,
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by kobikwelu(m): 8:35am On Jun 10, 2011
sad
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 10, 2011
Seun:

Travelling out does not help matters, infact foreign Airlines don't want anything to do with Nigerian pilots when they still have a lot of Whites and Lebanese Pilots
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 10, 2011
Wizardofoz:

LWKMD, which one be NVS again? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots by Reference(m): 9:07am On Jun 10, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

This is a step in the right direction. Being an expertiates does not necessary mean more experience, it may be due to the quest of CHEAP labour or the lust for anything foriegn.Believe me, it may be cheaper to hire an indian technician in Nigeria. 

secondly, our labour laws are very porus to prevent the influx of other citizens. In places like Angola, No expertriate will exceed the limit of stay which is 3 years, The government stipulates that period frame as the a maximum time which the expertriate should have impacted his "knowledge" if he has any, on the locals.

Exactly.

Dis Guy:

Holy Cow!!

the so called ministry should be scrapped and placed as an independent aviation department under Ministry of Transportation!

Not even a department. It should be scrapped completely. Once you have an aerospace monitoring agency to handle traffic and security (the air-force can do this of course), a regulatory agency handling consumer interests (which can be combined with other transportation enterprises), an accident and investigation bureau (once again combining under a grand scheme with other forms of transport), and an airworthiness agency to handle aircraft matters that's all you need. These agencies operated by consummate professionals and self financing, what is government's business with the airline industry. the ministry of aviation is just another drain of public resources. All the minister does is to attend the talk shop called FEC meetings and discuss contracts while the industry rots.

Government has no business in aviation beyond monitoring. Investment must be private sector driven. Flying remains an elitist business in Nigeria. Those who patronize it should pay for it. Those who are interested in it should invest in it. Government's expenditure should go to where the bulk of Nigerians are.

As for pilots, like someone said travel out and seek economies that can appreciate your profession and handle the volume of job seekers. The few planes the few airline have are not worthwhile. I guess the reason for the large number of expatriates has to do with the lease agreements some of these airlines have with aircraft owners and banks abroad. They no wan hear debt. The moment you don't pay up as and when due, no repo wahala,  the pilots just take off  grin grin grin and God help any fortunate Nigerian aboard thinking of escaping Nigeria, free ticket to Amsterdam  grin grin grin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Anyone Have A Picture Of Aso Villa Or Ever Seen It? / The Southwest Have Overtaken The Southeast In Oil Production / Owerri Youths Brought Down The Zuma Statue In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.