Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) (803 Views)

Prince Charles Pays Tribute To Mother, Becomes King / Barbados becomes World's newest Republic, removes Queen as Head of State (Pix) / Prince Charles Tests Positive To Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by SileHomes(m): 2:30pm On Nov 29, 2021
Prince Charles landed in Barbados last night ahead of a historic ceremony removing his mother, the Queen, as head of state after 55 years.

The Caribbean island will become the world's newest republic as it swears in its first president, Governor General Dame Sandra Mason, on Tuesday who has pointedly chosen the anniversary of its independence from Britain in 1966.

The prince is seen disembarking from the ministerial jet after his flight from London to Barbados on Sunday.

Prince Charles is greeted by Resa Layne, Chief of Protocol, and Scott Furssedonn-Wood, British High Commissioner to Barbados.

Prince of Wales is greeted by Dame Sandra Mason as he arrives in Barbados.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10252555/Charles-highlight-UK-bonds-Barbados-republic.html?ito=social-facebook

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by SileHomes(m): 2:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
The 73-year-old was all smiles as he greeted Dame Sandra, who will replace his mother as head of state.

The Queen is pictured meeting Dame Sandra Mason in a file picture.

Dame Sandra will replace the Queen as head of state.

Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by descarado: 2:33pm On Nov 29, 2021
And more are loading.
I think Canada has done this before, right?

When will Nigeria reach this stage. No more part of common wealth of nations. No more neo colonialism.
Barbados you did well!

Rihanna's kwantry.

You come my place fight me, took over my resources and went home still dey rule me from your house. This people eeh.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by SileHomes(m): 2:34pm On Nov 29, 2021
Charles will deliver a speech to mark the occasion and celebrate the historic ties between Britain and Barbados.

The handover will be officially performed at a ceremony in National Heroes Square.

The prince was seen in animated conversation with Dame Sandra, who will be the first president of Barbados.

Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by SileHomes(m): 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2021
Today, nearly 400 years after Barbados was claimed for her ancestor King James I by an English ship, the Queen's role as head of state of the island comes to an end.

Photos:

The Queen in Barbados during her five-week tour of the Caribbean in 1966.

The Queen in Barbados during her Silver Jubilee tour in 1977

Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by SileHomes(m): 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
Barbados was one of the oldest English settlements in the West Indies, being surpassed only by Saint Kitts.

The countries' historical ties date back to the 17th century and involve settlement, post-colonialism and modern bilateral relations.

Since Barbados gained its independence in 1966, the nations have continued to share ties through the Commonwealth, with the Queen as Monarch.

The Sugar Revolution, the introduction of sugar cane from Dutch Brazil in the 1640s was highly lucrative and over the next decade more than two thirds of English emigres to the Americas went to Barbados.

While this shift to sugar yielded huge profits, it came at a great social cost.

Thousands of West African slaves were shipped across the Atlantic to work the plantations and workers suffered from low wages and minimal social services.

It is estimated that between 1627 to 1807, some 387,000 Africans were shipped to the island against their will and the country shifted from having a majority white population to a majority black population.

Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by CrownOfClay724: 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2021
The times are changing for good.
Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by longetivity(m): 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2021
Girls from the West Indies are the most beautiful black women in the world cool
Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by AlhajiNatty(m): 3:05pm On Nov 29, 2021
Historical indeed.
Almost like the flag independence Nigeria had in 1960 before becoming a Republic in 1963.
Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by Gireiboy(m): 4:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
SileHomes:
Charles will deliver a speech to mark the occasion and celebrate the historic ties between Britain and Barbados.

The handover will be officially performed at a ceremony in National Heroes Square.

The prince was seen in animated conversation with Dame Sandra, who will be the first president of Barbados.
Nigeria did it in 1963 mumu! idiots always looking for loopholes to bring down their country, mtswww!
Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by BlackfireX: 2:23am On Nov 30, 2021
I heard there is population of igbos there..hope there won't be coup in few years
Re: Prince Charles Lands In Barbados To Remove The Queen As Head Of State(Pics) by joyandfaith: 9:43am On Nov 30, 2021
descarado:
And more are loading.
I think Canada has done this before, right?

When will Nigeria reach this stage. No more part of common wealth of nations. No more neo colonialism.
Barbados you did well!

Rihanna's kwantry.

You come my place fight me, took over my resources and went home still dey rule me from your house. This people eeh.

Queen is still ceremonial head of government in Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.
We did it in 1963 when we removed Queen as ceremonial head of government and Zik became president. Barbados waited for 55 years.

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Lay's Foundation For into the future Mega City ( Photo) / Kenyans: The Son You Abandoned Becomes President, / UK Tv (channel 4's) Racist Jibe At Black People As From The Jungle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.