Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win (31524 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Likes And Comments On A Video Mocking Messi’s Ballon D’or. / Toni Kroos on players moving to Saudi Arabia: “They Go For Money” / Ferdinand And Crouch Warn - Another Lionel Messi Ballon D'or Would Be "Travesty" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by obembet(f): 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos and club legend Iker Casillas have led criticism of the decision to hand Lionel Messi this year's Ballon d'Or, with the German claiming 'it's absolutely not deserved'.

The Paris Saint-Germain forward saw off competition from Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and Chelsea midfielder Jorginho to lift the seventh Ballon d'Or of his incredible career.

Messi claimed a maiden Copa America title with his country during 2021 and was also top scorer in LaLiga for the 2020-21 season with 30 goals as Barcelona finished third.

The 34-year-old also helped Barca win the Copa del Rey before moving to PSG on a free transfer in the summer.

He had collected the honour for a record sixth time in 2019 – one ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo – before the awards were cancelled in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Most were expecting the prize to go to Lewandowski after he maintained the incredible goal-scoring form that made him favourite for last year's prize before it was scrapped.

The Poland international, 33, finished second after scoring 38 goals in 30 league games for Bayern in 2021, in addition to winning the Bundesliga.

And Kroos was fiercely critical of the decision to name Messi as the winner before also revealing who he voted for in his top three.

Speaking on his podcast, Kroos said: 'It's absolutely not deserved.

'There is no doubt that Messi, with Cristiano, has been the player of the last decade, but this year there should've been others ahead of him.'

Kroos said his top three were Real Madrid team-mate Karim Benzema, Lewandowski and Jorginho.

Iker Casillas, the legendary former Real Madrid goalkeeper who had some sensational battles with Messi during his career, also admitted the PSG star should not have won the prize.

The Spaniard added: 'It is increasingly difficult for me to believe in football awards.

'Messi is one of the best but you have to know who is the most outstanding player after the season. It's not that hard.'

After winning the award, Messi did acknowledge Lewandowski's achievements over the past two years and said he did 'deserve' the prize.

Messi said: 'You deserve your Ballon d'Or. Last year everyone agreed that you were the winner.

'I think France Football should give you your Ballon d'Or. You have to have it in your house.'

But it was not all criticism for Messi. Match of the Day host Gary Lineker hailed his award as a 'magnificent seven' and described him as a 'truly extraordinary footballer'.

The former England and Barcelona striker tweeted: 'It’s a magnificent seven. Congratulations to Lionel Messi on winning yet another Ballon d’Or.

'A truly extraordinary footballer and an absolute credit to the sport both on and off the pitch.'

However, football fans were also questioning why Messi was named as the winner with a large number on social media insisting it should have gone to Lewandowski or even Liverpool's Mohamed Salah.

@KevCawood wrote: 'I think him winning it this time shows how ridiculous the award has become. Lewandowski and Salah have been head and shoulders above Messi this year.

@redikki agreed, posting: 'Wonderful footballer, possibly the greatest ever but time @francefootball to shake up the voting. How can #Lewandowski score so many goals over the last 24 months and not get recognised! Giving up on this award!'

@CalumClark13 commented: 'Joke of decision, I know your a barca man but this year and it being suspended last year stinks of corruption both Lewandowski and Salah were better players this year but this has happened before with Messi and Ronaldo where there whole hype and name drop takes over.'

With his latest success, Messi added to his 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2019 trophies. He played down any talk of retirement in his victory speech.

'It is incredible to be here again,' said Messi in Paris on Monday night.

'Two years ago, I said that it was my last years, and that I didn't know what was going to happen, and now I am here again.

'After that they began to ask me when I was going to retire and today I am in Paris. I am very happy and very excited, eager to continue fighting for new challenges.

'I don't know how much I have left, but I hope it's a lot, because I love this. Other times I won this award and I always had the feeling that something was missing.

'I felt gutted about something, and this year I was able to achieve the dream that I wanted so much after having fought and having gone through many falls.

'This award is largely because of what we (Argentina) did in the Copa America.'

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10257345/Toni-Kroos-says-Lionel-Messis-Ballon-dOr-absolutely-not-deserved.html

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Optimistguy1969: 12:37pm On Nov 30, 2021
Na third world cup war dey come so o.....na Leo cause am

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Numerouno94(m): 12:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
Obembet give it a rest. U might end up committing suicide wit the rate ur going.

U guys knw Messi deserves his award buh hate nd jealousy have taken over ur souls nd hv clouded ur sense of judgment/reasoning. Messi wasn't jux given the award, his stat was there for everyone to see nd every reasonable nd unbiased minds who saw nd compared both all agreed that Messi deserves it. My question now is who re u? Obembet nd co? Who re u?

171 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Chloraseptic: 12:53pm On Nov 30, 2021
He should go and contest it with the coaches, captain and journalist that voted for him..

Maybe he should make himself Germany captain so he can vote next time. .

Mumu talk from overrated midfielder that's just lucky to be Madrid team..

Thierry Henry has topped the scoring chat before and didn't win it because of a certain Ronaldinho..

Football is an art it's not an act of scoring goals.

192 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by obembet(f): 1:05pm On Nov 30, 2021
Chloraseptic:
He should go and contest it with the coaches, captain and journalist that voted for him..

Maybe he should make himself Germany captain so he can vote next time. .

Mumu talk from overrated midfielder that's just lucky to be Madrid team..

Thierry Henry has topped the scoring chat before and didn't win it because of a certain Ronaldinho..

Football is an art it's not an act of scoring goals.

Do you know why am happy, the same thing has happened to Mendy now. Am UNITED fan but I don't think any keeper is better than Mendy (Chelsea) since last season but according to thier vote, Mendy didn't even make second..

So let keep enjoying it

Lalasticlala

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by obembet(f): 1:08pm On Nov 30, 2021
Numerouno94:
Obembet give it a rest. U might end up committing suicide wit the rate ur going.

I can't and I will never do that. People like you are not new to me. Suffering and smiling. Buhari has limited u to zero, u can't even think on your own again. I won't be surprised if you vote Buhari again Mr. N power grin

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Teaser4(m): 1:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
Penaldo fans worldwide make una

143 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Numerouno94(m): 1:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
obembet:

I can't and I will never do that. People like you are not new to me. Suffering and smiling. Buhari has limited u to zero, u can't even think on your own again. I won't be surprised if you vote Buhari again Mr. N power grin

This is the problem i hv wit some of u. U can't make a decent conversation witout trying to bring in personal/financial/family gibberish. Do u knw me outside nairaland? Hv u ever seen me begging on nairaland? Ohhhh u fink we re some low life poor rats cos we condescend so low by making jokes wit every Tom, Dick nd Harry on nairaland? Do u realise alot of financial buoyant Nigerians re on this forum jux as their re poor nd average Nigerians on the forum too? Well i will 4give ur ignorance nd let that slide, afterall a word from a pained asss penaldian shuld b taken wit a pinch of salt.

Abt Buhari, re u in anyway better than Buhari? We all insult Buhari wen we re worst than the devil in our own little ways, buh so quick to insult Buhari. Re u any different? Ain't u a pained, bitter asss biased penaldian on this forum? Who in sport section doesn't knw that Obembet is one biased member? Who doesn't knw that u enjoy promoting Ronaldo nd pushing evil agender against Messi in collaboration with ur equally biased mods?? Now check urself b4 casting aspersions at Buhari cos ur no better.

Back to the topic, Messi deserves his 7th balon d'or. Re u better than the organisers, captains, coaches, journalists etcetera, that took part in the voting process? I will not dwell much on this cos Messi's stat is there for everyone to see. U guys fink everything is fake wen tinx don't go in ur favour. Lewi himself congratulated Messi, who re u to tink otherwise? Who re u?

U guys re only angry that Messi has left ur pendu far behind in the pecking order.

Like i said earlier, u can stop following football if ur angry. Pls boycott anything football, let the world knw u guys re angry. After all, we need sane minds in football, not some pained asss bitter fans.

I said wat i said. Obembet, u nd ur coons shuld boycott football forever pls. Gud riddance.

124 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by MJBOLT: 2:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lamentations of the Penaldians,una go cry tire grin
Messi dey house,go collect the award na.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by obembet(f): 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by jamaicabakare(m): 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
grin
Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by WibusJaga: 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2021

Well, everybody is entitled to his opinion.
The organisers have a voting procedure for selecting the winner.
They should tell us if this procedure was not followed instead of all this online fuss.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by BigDawsNet: 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
grin

Statistically Messi deserve it
Pityically Lewa deserve it

From now on..Messi will rest...
Lewa should put more effort next year

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by SultanOfPuna: 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
All Penaldo Fans Should combine together and write the New Book of Lamentations..

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by GreaterFuture(m): 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ook
Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by BlaqJosh: 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
See what they gave lewy

12 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by NORSIYK(m): 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
Only blinded football fans will justify this year's Ballon D'or, in as much as it boils down to those who voted.

Ballon d'Or isn't for best player in a calendar year rather is for the most popular player amongst the bias and corrupt voters.

Neymar or Suarez or Griezmann with Messi's stats won't even make Ballon D'or top 10 in rankings.

Then again it's Messi whose all rules must be bent to favour him.

In 2010 it was about goals not about contributions like winning champions league with the most assists, world cup joint top scorer, World cup finalist, world cup silver ball.

2018 was about being a world cup finalist with 2 goals and 1 assist
Champions league winner
Thereby making useless of the 2010 criteria.

2019 was about goals and not about champions league contributions again, thereby changing the 2018 criteria.

2021 goals doesn't matter, dribbles and useless chances created that amounted to nothing were more important.

France football is about the publicity they get from the bias journalists who vote for their favorite player regardless of how poorly he had performed

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Charmingrascal(m): 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ojoro

Obviously Messi didn't deserve it.

6 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Lagosianswag: 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lewandowski's award Pizza Box was delivered by Jumia Express grin

Honestly, Robert Lewandowski is a very humble man, shame no go let some striker snap with that plaque. undecided

8 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Benitoh: 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
I never knew oyibos do bad Belle too

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by wallay77(m): 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lol..rules are bent when it's Messi...cos modric was outstanding at world cup they decided not to give ronaldo...2010...snidjer was superb all round in Club competition and world Cup.. but na Messi...he is calm he doesn't talk and he is humble n not proud...so he must collect...mtcheew...anyways na later we go hear the whole issue behind this ballon dor
Trophy wise give jorginho he was outstanding
Individual wise lewandoski was also superb

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Minjim: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
We all know
Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Fadlean: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
LEwan was robbed 2yrs in a row

6 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by AntiChristian: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
Hmmm!

How is it not deserved?

Messi won the last UCL trophy!

Messi won the last UEFA Euro trophy!

MESSI won the last Copa America!

Messi had Bundesliga last season!

Messi has always been in top 10 for the past 10 yrs!

Messi scored more than others last season!

Messi created more assists than any other player last season!

In short Messi is ANU EWU!

5 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by cescky(m): 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
Not this nazi...

Oga park well

Who scored more goals btw messi and your paddy= messi

More dribble =messi

More assist =messi

Major trophies = messi 2/ r Ro zero..

List is endless

8 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by revived: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
E go be
Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by revived: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
E gonbe
Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by BigDolph(m): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lewy was cheated. The award belongs to him

4 Likes

Re: Toni Kroos On Lionel Messi's Ballon D'or Win by Don27tiky(m): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
Numerouno94:

U guys knw Messi deserves his award buh hate nd jealousy have taken over ur souls nd hv clouded ur sense of judgment/reasoning. Messi wasn't jux given the award, his stat was there for everyone to see nd every reasonable nd unbiased minds who saw nd compared both all agreed that Messi deserves it. My question now is who re u? Obembet nd co? Who re u?
all they are saying is he does not deserve but the records and numbers shows he deserves it. If you ask them why he lewy deserves it more they will say he score more goals in Germany.

19 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Messi beats LeBron to No1 spot on Forbes highest-paid athletes, Ronaldo in top 3 / Ahmed Musa Speaks After World Cup Exit, As Galatasaray Fans Beg Him To Sign / Euro2020 Gianluigi Donnarumma Named Player Of The Tournament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.