Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ (8307 Views)

Bill Clinton On Donald Trump: ‘the Thing About Branding Is ... You Can Be Fact-f / Clinton On Nigeria: The Lessons Not Learnt / Nigerians Write To Clinton On Nigeria Terror List Suggest Names For No-fly List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by AjoMmuo: 8:56pm On Jun 11, 2011
@Ezeuche you stated and I quote "The only Igbo groups that really had interactions with the Europeans were my own group, the Aro Igbo. But we still have our Igbo names".  I do not know the time frame you had in mind when you made this assertion. Slave trade era? Nevertheless, that assertion is not entirely correct. What of Onitsha and Niger River bank? We all agree on the huge influence of the early catholic missionaries in Eastern Nigeria. Do you know the hub of catholicism in eastern Nigerian? Where do you have the only minor basilica in Nigeria? The answer is Onitsha not Arochukwu. Holy Trinity Cathedral Onitsha it is.  Maybe a little history of the early catholic missionaries in eastern Nigeria will help you realize that Onitsha had early interactions with Europeans.

Yes, we still have Krios in Onitsha but they are well integrated now. Surnames like Coker, Venn, Brown, Koldsweat,etc. I hope everybody still remember Franca Brown of the old NTA TV series Behind the Cloud.  She is Onitsha. Larry Koldsweat of Nollywood is an Onitsha man of Krio descent. Onitsha just like Lagos was divided those days. You had the 'Enu Onitsha'-Inland Town, where the Onitsha natives lived and still live. 'Otu Onitsha' was mainly where the Krios and other non-onitsha Igbos settled. The fact that the Main Market is  in 'Otu Onitsha' was due to the presence of the early Krios in Onitsha. The Krios in onitsha then were mainly merchants and traders in what we know today as the biggest market in West Africa- the Onitsha Main Market.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by naijaking1: 11:30pm On Jun 11, 2011
I have a family member who went to Port Harcourt with my father in the early 1950/60s. His name was Joseph Ukachukwu, but during the war, he was unable to escape back to the Igbo mainland.
He settled down somewhere between Rivers and Cross Rivers states. Today, his children have names like Jerry Joseph, Tony Joseph, etc, having dropped their father's original last name.
This just shows that one has to dig deeper than people's last names in to know their backgrounds.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by namdo(m): 12:04pm On Jun 13, 2011
so if i mess sef, una go discuss my mess for NL. chaiiii, na waaa.
Re: Bill And Hillary Clinton On Why They Admire GEJ by otitokoro1: 3:27pm On Jun 13, 2011
Bill and Hillary Clinton admire Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan for different reasons

By The Associated Press – 3 days ago

Bill and Hillary Clinton both admire Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan — but for different reasons.

At a U.N. AIDS meeting Thursday, the former U.S. president shared the stage with the Nigerian leader, who was dressed in the traditional caftan and black bowler hat of his Niger Delta home.

Clinton congratulated Jonathan on his recent election.

"We wish you well," Clinton said. "I can tell you the secretary of state tells me your hats are always cool."

The ministers, diplomats, AIDS activists and VIPs at the meeting burst into laughter and then applauded loudly.

"And I envy your name," Clinton went on to more laughter. "If I'd had a name like Goodluck I might still be in office."

Copyright © 2011 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

I wonder why Jonathan would have attended such a meeting. He should learn to delegate authority on all this American Idea to Discourage,

Kilishi abi na clinton was trying to tell Jonathan that a serious President don't attend such gathering,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

$10 Million Missing From Nigeria US Embassy Account / Pro Dr Ariyo Demonstration In Texas. PICTURES.. / 5 Persons For Plotting To Rob Governor Dickson, Land In Prison Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.