Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Question About The Yoruba Language: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question About The Yoruba Language: (13495 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 4:11am On Jun 11, 2011
Hello,

I'm an American who is trying to learn about two types of Nigerian dialect for a comic book project I'm working on, and I have a question about the Yoruba language. (I didn't know what other section to put this topic in.) The details of "why" are unimportant, but it's something that requires Yoruba words, and I can't continue unless I learn these words. Using the only decent Yoruba dictionary I've been able to find, I've come across three problems.

1. A lot of English words have multiple translations into Yoruba, so I don't know which to use.

2. Most of the verbs don't have progressive endings to them so I don't know how to say them. For example, they have the translation for "walk" but not "walk[b]ing[/b]". Or "talk" but not "talk[b]ing[/b]".

3. Some words in English have a translation that is very long. Are there short forms of certain words?

Also, if anyone could tell me the Yoruba word for any of the following, it would be a great help, because the dictionary is missing (from torn pages and lack of definition, PERIOD) these English translations:

Lightning
Fire
Iron
Water (surprising, I know)
Soul
Skin
Animal
Living
Grip
Explosion
True (like real or genuine)
Pride
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by ola6: 4:18am On Jun 11, 2011
I dont know much but I can help u with the following

Lightning    Ina ara, Ino ara
Fire             Ina, Ino
Iron              Irin
Water (surprising, I know)           Omi
Soul              Emi
Skin              Awo    (o is pronounced "aw"wink
Animal           Ira ko
Living            Gbe  (e is pronounced as "a"wink
Grip               Mu e.g mu dani
Explosion        dont know   cheesy
True (like real or genuine) Otito, ooto
Pride Igberaga
[quote][/quote]
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 6:37am On Jun 11, 2011
ola@:

I dont know much but I can help u with the following

Any help is appreciated. I just have a few questions, just so I'm accurate.

Lightning    Ina ara, Ino ara
Pronounced "Ee-nah Ah-rah" and "Ee-no Ah-rah"?
Skin              Awo    (o is pronounced "aw"wink
The "O" is pronounced "aw"? Oh, I also heard there's a different word for skin and it depends on whether you're referring to human skin or animal skin. I should have clarified and mentioned human skin.
Animal           Ira ko
Pronounced "Ee-rah Koe"
Living            Gbe  (e is pronounced as "a"wink
How is that pronounced? Like Bee-ay"?
Grip               Mu e.g mu dani
Going to take a wild guess at this,  "Moo-eg-moo-dah-nee"</i>?
True (like real or genuine) Otito, ooto
Pronounced "Oh-tay-toh"
and "oh-oh-toh"? Which reminds me, when a word has more than one translation, is either equally acceptable or is the first one the more commonly used translation?
Pride Igberaga
Pronounced "Ee-gbay-rah-ga"?

(For anyone, really, ) If I want to combine two words like "Animal" and "Soul" to make a name. Would it be "Ira Ko Emi" or would it be something else? Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's rare that get to talk to Yorubas. There are a few things that I still need to learn, like the emphasis you put on certain syllables, when you say a word.

Oh I found more words that I am in need of translating, 

- "Soul" (Or is that the same word as "Spirit"?)
- Blast
- Punch
- Blade
- Gift
- Roar
- Wood
- Wind
- Guardian
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by omosoji: 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2011
Within our Yoruba etymology we don't have share the concept of what constitute a 'Spirit'

Mind - okan

Soul - emi (the 'e' is pronounce as the 'he' in 'hell')
Heart - emi (the 'e' is pronounce as the 'he' in 'hell')

Lightning - ara

Electricity - mona mona (the 'o' and 'a' are both pronounced as the 'o' in orange)

Fire - ina (the 'a' is pronounced as the 'o' in orange)

Iron - irin
Metal - irin

Water - omi

Skin - awo (the 'a' is pronounced as the 'a' in 'apple' while the 'o' is pronounced as the 'o' in orange, wh)

Animal - eranko (eran oko = animal of the bushes)
Animal - erangbo (eran igbo = animal dwells in the thick forest)
Animal - erangbe (other Yoruba dialect = animal dwells in the thick forest)

Living - mi (breathing)

Grip - it depends on which context you mean

Explosion - ya tuka
True (like real or genuine) (otom, gangan)

Pride/Vainglory - ígberaga

- "Soul" (Or is that the same word as "Spirit"?) NO

- Blast
- Punch - gba (ma gba e - I will hit/punch)
- Blade -
- Gift - ebun
- Roar - duun
- Wood - igi (igi is also tree)
- Wind - ategun (the 'a' is pronounced as 'a' in apple, the 'e' is pronounce as the 'he' in 'hell' while the 'gun' is pronounced as the English word 'goon' that mean an aggressive or violent young criminal)
- Guardian - still thinking for the precise word, if you can be definite you can help us to help you because Guardian of knowledge would be different from Guardian of life or a temple, and don't ask for the meaning of certain word like 'angel' or 'satan' or 'devil', etc because they are semitic theological concept that was brought to us during the slave and colonial periods. So word were coined for them, some are erroneous but has stayed on the lips of so many.

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by BABE3: 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2011
Blade--- Abe ( re, re) -- the "e" is the one with the dot

Blast---- Fanka -- (mi, mi)

Guardian-- Olutonisona ( re do mi re mi do) -- the first "O" doesn't have the dot. The second and third "O" do. The "S" doesn't.

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2011
lightning is etimo

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 3:14am On Jun 12, 2011
OP here!

Thanks a lot, so far! This is all very helpful! So much so, that I should have just came here first instead of struggling with this old dictionary of mine. What is odd is that I have heard four different Yoruba translations for the word "Lightning". Ina Ara, Ino Ara, Ara, and Etimo. Is this one of those words that has multiple translations? If so, is one translation more commonly used than the rest?

omosoji:

Lightning - ara

Whoa! So my dictionary is wrong! Because it said "ara" was "skin" as in a human's skin. I'm glad I asked.

- Guardian - still thinking for the precise word, if you can be definite you can help us to help you because Guardian of knowledge would be different from Guardian of life or a temple, and don't ask for the meaning of certain word like 'angel' or 'satan' or 'devil', etc because they are semitic theological concept that was brought to us during the slave and colonial periods. So word were coined for them, some are erroneous but has stayed on the lips of so many.

Oh, I don't mean guardian in the foreign biblical sense. I just mean "a guardian" in the general sense. Like a protector of a temple or of a person.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 3:16am On Jun 12, 2011
BABE!:

Blade--- Abe ( re, re) -- the "e" is the one with the dot

Blast---- Fanka -- (mi, mi)

Guardian-- Olutonisona ( re do mi re mi do) -- the first "O" doesn't have the dot. The second and third "O" do. The "S" doesn't.

I don't understand what the words in parantheses, next to the Yoruba translations mean.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Nobody: 3:21am On Jun 12, 2011
Booshman:

I don't understand what the words in parantheses, next to the Yoruba translations mean.

Those are the intonations. Yoruba is a tonal language.

Remember the C Ionian mode : "do, re, mi, fa, so la, ti do". Well, Yoruba is compromised of 3 of those 8 notes; DO RE MI.

So when speaking yoruba, those notes/tones have to be taken into consideration to correctly speak Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 3:37am On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Those are the intonations. Yoruba is a tonal language.

Remember the C Ionian mode : "do, re, mi, fa, so la, ti do". Well, Yoruba is compromised of 3 of those 8 notes; DO RE MI.

So when speaking yoruba, those notes/tones have to be taken into consideration to correctly speak Yoruba.

Oh the "low", the "mid", and the "high" tones. That's something that I'm trying to get used to, because it changes the word completely. That is one of the things that makes Yoruba such a fascinating language. On top of the words themselves, you have to account for the subtle pitch changes. Now are those pitch changes only on the vowels, or is it all letters?

Thanks for the clarification, btw!
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Nobody: 3:41am On Jun 12, 2011
Booshman:

Oh the "low", the "mid", and the "high" tones. That's something that I'm trying to get used to, because it changes the word completely. That is one of the things that makes Yoruba such a fascinating language. On top of the words themselves, you have to account for the subtle pitch changes. Thanks for the clarification!

No prob.

Are you studying African languages? How do you know about Yoruba's tones and how they change the words/sentence completely?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 4:03am On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No prob.

Are you studying African languages? How do you know about Yoruba's tones and how they change the words/sentence completely?

I'm not studying it in a class or anything unfortunately. (Although I'm currently looking for language CDs and guides). For my comic book project I have actually learned a bit about it with the help of the dictionary I've been using. But it wasn't anywhere near enough help, so I have been visiting many Yoruba cultural sites (for cultural accuracy and other things) on the internet, where I learned that it is a tonal language. Which makes it stand out from the same old boring Latin based languages that I've been used to. Like English, French, Spanish, and Italian.

My thread, about what I'm doing:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-681712.32.html#msg8490136

@Omosoji
Do you have any samples of your art, or how can I contact you? Because I'm currently gathering a team to get this product underway. Because I'm getting closer to finishing enough of the story to have some to work with, so I don't end up falling behind, in terms of writing new stories while art is being done for what I've already written. I ask because I'm trying to find a good artist, who has an art style fits the type of story I'm doing. For example, I don't need a style that is extremely realistic like Marvel comics style. Something slightly more cartoony looking, is what I'm looking for. Sort of like Japanese manga.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by BABE3: 11:21am On Jun 12, 2011
@ Bosshman-- I wasn't sure if you'll understand the tone marks. I should have explained further, but I was too lazy. grin

@ Ileke-Ide-- Thanks for the help. Bless you. smiley
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by tutuwater(m): 10:54pm On Jun 12, 2011
Booshman:

OP here!

Thanks a lot, so far! This is all very helpful! So much so, that I should have just came here first instead of struggling with this old dictionary of mine. What is odd is that I have heard four different Yoruba translations for the word "Lightning". Ina Ara, Ino Ara, Ara, and Etimo. Is this one of those words that has multiple translations? If so, is one translation more commonly used than the rest?

Whoa! So my dictionary is wrong! Because it said "ara" was "skin" as in a human's skin. I'm glad I asked.

Oh, I don't mean guardian in the foreign biblical sense. I just mean "a guardian" in the general sense. Like a protector of a temple or of a person.

ara could denote both skin and thunder

am not good with the intonation,

you could ask BABE to give you the intonation

am sure the two 'ara' are pronounced differently
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by BABE3: 4:15am On Jun 13, 2011
Booshman:

Oh the "low", the "mid", and the "high" tones. That's something that I'm trying to get used to, because it changes the word completely. That is one of the things that makes Yoruba such a fascinating language. On top of the words themselves, you have to account for the subtle pitch changes. Now are those pitch changes only on the vowels, or is it all letters?

Thanks for the clarification, btw!

The tone-marks are put only on the vowels -- A, E, E(with the dot beneath it), I, O, O(with the dot beneath it), U.   The seven vowels.
In Yoruba lang., the tone marks are used to differenciate words. Each syllable in a yoruba word must have it's own tone mark.
There are three tone marks in the Yoruba lang. They are: DO(\), RE, MI(/).  Notice that I didn't put anything in parenthesis for "RE", that is because when a syllable has a "RE" sound, we don't put anything on the vowel.
The tone marks are, again,  put only on vowels.

For example-- The word -- "Ara"(skin/body) has only two syllables (A and RA), which means it's gonna have 2 tone marks.
The first tone mark is gonna be on the first  "A" and the second tone mark is gonna be on the other "A".

The tone marks for this word are "RE" "RE", which means it will be written as --"ara" --no sign needed (Remember what I said earlier)

But, as for the word "Ara"(thunder), the pitches here are diff., which means diff. tone marks. The tone mark for this one is "DO" "MI".  It's gonna be written as " àrá ".

If you need additional--i'll be glad to help.
smiley

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 6:26am On Jun 13, 2011
BABE!:

The tone-marks are put only on the vowels -- A, E, E(with the dot beneath it), I, O, O(with the dot beneath it), U. The seven vowels.
In Yoruba lang., the tone marks are used to differenciate words. Each syllable in a yoruba word must have it's own tone mark.
There are three tone marks in the Yoruba lang. They are: DO(\), RE, MI(/). Notice that I didn't put anything in parenthesis for "RE", that is because when a syllable has a "RE" sound, we don't put anything on the vowel.
The tone marks are, again, put only on vowels.

For example-- The word -- "Ara"(skin/body) has only two syllables (A and RA), which means it's gonna have 2 tone marks.
The first tone mark is gonna be on the first "A" and the second tone mark is gonna be on the other "A".

The tone marks for this word are "RE" "RE", which means it will be written as --"ara" --no sign needed (Remember what I said earlier)

But, as for the word "Ara"(thunder), the pitches here are diff., which means diff. tone marks. The tone mark for this one is "DO" "MI". It's gonna be written as " àrá ".

If you need additional--i'll be glad to help.
smiley

Wonderfully helpful explanation! Part of me is a little relieved that there are only tonal variations on the vowels, as the language is challenging already. Oh, and does àrá mean "Thunder" or "Lightning"? Or is it the same word? Sorry, but I have to get this 100% correct. Call it "nit-picking" but I have to be accurate, because it's already "odd" enough making a comic about heroic, magical, fantasy versions of African groups. (With Yorubas being the main focus.) Especially when I'm not a Yoruba, Nigerian, or even a native African.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by BABE3: 6:55am On Jun 13, 2011
^ I'm 100% sure that àrá is Thunder. When we wanna say "Thunder and lightning " in Yoruba, we just say "àrá ".I don't know the exact word for lightning. Sorry sad . I don't even know if there's a word for lightning in yoruba.

If you need anything else---bring it. smiley

If I may ask, why are you doing what you're doing? Asin, what are you doing it for?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 7:39am On Jun 13, 2011
Why? Well for four reasons,

One: I'm a huge fantasy person. As in a fan of epic tales such as Lord of the Rings which are filled with bold heroes and creatures/monsters from folklore.

Two: The thing is that for the most part, all those tales and creatures are from a "white" point of view. So that's all people see. The image of whites as the only ones who are allowed to be heroic. While that may sound silly and pointless to you, that has proven scientifically to negatively effect children who are not of European descent. It teaches them that they are, at best, unheroic and are doomed to being only second best to whites. This has been shown to manifest itself in various forms when they reach adulthood. Things like skin bleaching with darker skinned people (like Hindu Indians, Africans, and Hispanics) and getting surgery to permanently make your eyelids bigger (like East Asians do). Methods to make themselves closer to whites, and closer to being accepted by them. I mean look at the infamous "Doll Test" in America where black and asian girls always picked out the white doll as being the pretty one, and the doll that looked like them as being ugly.

So what I'm doing is showing that Africans (focusing on various groups across the entire continent) indeed have a culture, folklore, and history that is just as rich as anything European. IF NOT MORE SO. So I'm creating a fantasy epic in the form of a comic, that takes place in a world that mimics Earth. (Mainly so I have a blank canvas to work with so there is no "creative ceiling" to stay under.) A world that is filled with monsters, beings, and tales from traditional Africa folklore. As well as magical versions of African kingdoms and their peoples of the past. While I just mention Africans, I'm also going to be doing the same thing with Black Americans, Hindus, the more ignored of Asian groups, Native Americans, and other groups that are left out of fantasy tales.

Three: Being a fan of fantasy, I'm tired of the same themes by authors. Humans are always white and they are the "default humans." Elves are nature loving and arrogant. Dwarves are always stout, axe wielding, brawlers that love to be drunk as much as fighting. There are always stone castles like in the days of King Arthur. There are always old and venerable wizards commanding nature. It's become the norm, and it's also become so horribly cliched.

Four: I just love Yoruba, Edo, and the cultures/traditions of other African groups! So I get to share that love in the form of another love! grin

But to protect my project from being copied though, I can't give away too many details. (I'm not talking about you, by the way. Just anyone who is reading this, that would violate copyright laws.) But there is a massive amount of research going into this. So while it will be in an alternate world, so I won't (hopefully) offend anyone, it will give them perepective on those who have doubt as to just how great their cultures are.  As well as teaching others that there are more cultures than European ones.

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 7:44am On Jun 13, 2011
BABE!:

^ If you need anything else---bring it. smiley

Oh! You reminded me! There is another thing,

Going back to my dictionary, they don't have any verbs that have progressive endings. For example, they have a word for "walk" but not "walk[b]ing[/b]". And my dictionary doesn't have past tense endings. For example they have a word for "walk" but not "walk[b]ed[/b]". That are the "-ing" and "-ed" endings in Yoruba and are there any specific rules to use them?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by BABE3: 8:18am On Jun 13, 2011
Hmmm--Intersting! Nice work.  smiley Because you wanna "protect you work" and you also want to avoid copyright problems, if you need any help in interpreting holla @ me @  b_babe61@yahoo.com. (There's an underscore sign between the Bs). If you wanna ask me here too, no problem.

Yoruba lang. doesn't really have a set rule for tenses. It all depends on how you use them in sentences.

For Example--- The verb "walk", meaning "Rin"

I am walking -- Mo n rin  -- present

I walked --- Mo rin ---past

I have walked --- Mo ti rin -- past

I walk--- Mo ma n rin. --continuous

Another example;

The verb "read/study" meaning "k'awe"

The student is reading ----  Akeko na n k'awe. -- present

The student has read--- Akeko na ti k'awe. --past

Most of the time, there is a convenient pattern--kinda.

If you wanna say something in  present tense, put "N" between the subject and the verb.

Something in past tense that doesn't have an "have/has" in it-- don't put anything between the subject and verb.

Something that has "have/has" -- put "TI" in between.

Something in continuous tense-- put a "MA N"

smiley

Oh yh, "The student" means "Akeko na"---it's kinda obvious, but I just thought I should point it out.  smiley
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by firestar(f): 7:20am On Jun 15, 2011
I commend you for aiming at accuracy especially when it comes to a culture like ours. Mark my words, your work will pass through alot fiery tests here and other Yoruba speaking groups elsewhere because as with other cultures, we are proud of it.

Manga you say? My kinda comic as I'm partial to it. And another thing: I agree that most antagonists stemming from this media are so cliché. Over used themes and elements drawn from an Eurocentric view.

I'm also willing to lend a hand as well. Seems to me you'll need all the help you can get.

Key: Doh Re Mi
Lightning: n. manamana, ar[color=#990000]a[/color

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by ikooko(m): 2:22pm On Jun 20, 2011
Booshman:

Lightning -- monamona pronounced as moh-nor-moh-nor (intonation = do do mi mi)

Soul -- Okan pronounced as hor-kon (intonation = mi do)

Blade -- Abe fele pronounced as harbea- feh-leh (intonation = re re mi mi)

Guardian -- Alagbato pronounced as ha-la-gba-tor (intonation = re mi do mi)

Hello Booshman, am a Yorubaman, above is my contribution. Hope you find it useful.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 8:09am On Jun 21, 2011
You all have no idea how massive of a help, you are being. I have more words to ask of you fine folks.

Snow
Freeze (as in frozen by ice)
Noble (like nobility)
Conquer or Conquering
Ferocious or Fierce or Ferocity
Awaken or Awakened
Refine
Perfect or Perfected
Automation (like a machine)
Council (like a group of elders)
General (the military rank)
Death
Test
Proving
Ground
Cannon (I found a translation, but I'm not sure about it)
Complete (as in "finished"wink

A slightly morbid list,   tongue But it's for a good reason, I promise you. I'm not depressed or going crazy or anything.  grin

I also have a question. If I wanted to create a phrase/title like "The Proving Ground", as in a specific place of choice for a person to take a test, how would I say that? Is there any specific rule, or is it just the two words one after the other?

firestar:

I commend you for aiming at accuracy especially when it comes to a culture like ours. Mark my words, your work will pass through alot fiery tests here and other Yoruba speaking groups elsewhere because as with other cultures, we are proud of it.

Fiery Tests? "Bring them on!", I say! I will be sure to "do Yoruba cultures proper" and make Yoruba's proud.

ikooko:

Hello Booshman, am a Yorubaman, above is my contribution. Hope you find it useful.

Greetings, and thank you for the help! Now is "Soul" in Yoruba "Emi" or "Okan", because I've gotten two different translations for it so far.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 12:45pm On Jun 21, 2011
Snow - iyin or yin-yin
Freeze - o di, or o ti gan i.e its solid or its rigid
Noble - Lobaloba (i would try and get something more accurate)
Conquer- Segun (shell without the 'll' and 'gun' as in japanese 'shogun'
Awaken - O ti Ji (wake is 'ji', o ti ji means he has woken)
Council - Igbimo (e-gbi-mo as in more)
Test - Idanwo ( he-done-woe i.e he without the 'h')
Ground - Ile (e-le, 'le' as in le-mon)
Death - Iku
Proving - Fihan, it actually means show, there are other words that would suffice
Complete - Pari

I would try and get back on the other ones

1 Like

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 7:53pm On Jun 21, 2011
rabzy:

Conquer- Segun (shell without the 'll' and 'gun' as in japanese 'shogun'

Interesting, so it's pronounced "Sheh-gun"? I thought it would be "Seh-gun". So the letter "S" is pronounced like "She" without the "e"? If so, I'll remember that, for the future.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 7:02am On Jun 22, 2011
General - i did not see this earlier is called Ogagun, o-ga-gun i.e or-gre-gun, ogre without the o.
perfect - pipe.
There is a way the P is pronounced, there is no equivalent in english, but it sounds like a 'kpe', if you go to youtube search for yoruba movies, you will recognize and get to hear some of these words pronounced.

Refine- yoomo, as in yore-more or york without the k and more, but you will stress and prolong the first sylable.
Fierce- roro i.e row-row
Noble- Otokulu i.e arthur-cool-luke, cool without the l and luke without the ke.

Okay thats how much i can do now. Have a great day.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 7:07am On Jun 22, 2011
Lightning is called Monamona, i.e more-nor-more-nor. The tone is do-do-mi-mi and you say it fast. If you do understand the tones, i could start putting them as best as i can.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 11:36am On Jun 22, 2011
rabzy:

if you go to youtube search for yoruba movies, you will recognize and get to hear some of these words pronounced.

That's actually an interesting comment,  because I actually prefer many Nigerian movies over many American ones. Simply because the actual acting is really good, in comparison to how stale and emotionless many American actors are. I'm somewhat of an acting snob, so I can easily spot a good actor over an overrated and overpaid western one.

And while I'm typing, about a half hour ago, I hit another temporary creative roadblock because I didn't know these four words:

Shift (as in the body movement)
Shock (as in an electric shock)
Silver
Blood

This happens a lot, if you haven't noticed. cry All because I'm just that devoted to being accurate. embarassed
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 7:06am On Jun 23, 2011
Booshman:

That's actually an interesting comment, because I actually prefer many Nigerian movies over many American ones. Simply because the actual acting is really good, in comparison to how stale and emotionless many American actors are. And while I'm typing, about a half hour ago, I hit another temporary creative roadblock because I didn't know these four words:
Shift (as in the body movement)
Shock (as in an electric shock)
Silver
Blood
This happens a lot, if you haven't noticed. cry All because I'm just that devoted to being accurate. embarassed

Well we all have something we like in others, i actually prefer the American movies, i get more thrills and frills and also the storylines are well thought out, but ours here are so frigging predictable and i detect so many mistakes in directing that its totally annoying. But as to the acting they are very superb here, except when they are acting a fighting scene, they don't even know how to make a slap look good, lol
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 7:17am On Jun 23, 2011
shift- sun, i.e monsoon rains without the mon.
shock- ina gbe, its a phrase literally meaning, he was carried by electricity, but its used to mean electric shock.
Silver-wura, i.e woo as in 'woman' ra as in amon-ra, or racket.
Blood-Eje, i.e e as in air, je as in je-lly.

cheers
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 8:42am On Jun 26, 2011
rabzy:

Blood-Eje, i.e e as in air, je as in je-lly.

Interesting. So Eje (Blood) pronounced "air-jeh"? Or did I mess that up?

Also, could someone tell me the Yoruba translation of:

Pure
Corrupt or Corrupted or Corruption
Evil
Sinister
Dark
Justice
Erase or Erasing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekpe 2010/2011 / President General Of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Obi Of Onitsha Set For Eastern Heritage / Just Another Day At Mcdonalds-black Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.