Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense (41271 Views)

You’re Not On Channels TV, Don’t Stand Before Me And Talk Nonsense – Aks Judge / You’re Not On Channels TV, Don’t Stand Before Me And Talk Nonsense – Aks Judge / "You Call Yourself A Benin Man, Yet You Stand Before Our Oba Wearing A Cap" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Maxymilliano(m): 12:50pm On Dec 03, 2021
‘You’re not on Channels TV, don’t stand before me and talk nonsense,’ judge lashes out at lawyer

A judge in a State High Court, Uyo, Thursday, scolded a defence counsel in a suit in which the Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel, was awarded N1.5 billion as damages for libel.

Ekaete Obot, the state’s Chief Judge, lashed out at the counsel, Inibehe Effiong, who said the court had breached the Nigerian Constitution in its December 15, 2020 judgment against his client, Leo Ekpenyong.

A drama ensued as the claimant counsel, Samuel Ikpo, also shouted “sit down” at Mr Effiong, who insisted the court should hear him.

You don’t stand before me and talk nonsense,” Justice Obot lashed out at the human rights lawyer.

I’ve been on this side of the law for over 30 years and you don’t come and teach me the law from there.”

Mr Effiong, who urged the court to give priority to his application for extension of time, cited the Supreme Court position on the matter, “Notwithstanding that preliminary objection is on jurisdiction, provided there is an application before the court for extension of time that application must be taken first”.

Refusing Mr Effiong’s application, the judge said, “Preliminary objections are taken first in every proceeding, especially when it touches on jurisdiction. If you have replied to that objection, why are you afraid?”

“Is anything the matter with you?” she continued. “This is the court of law and things are done according to rules here. Sentiments do not overrule that.

You are not on Channels Television, neither are you on Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Television,” she said.

The suits
Governor Emmanuel sued Mr Ekpenyong for defamation of character over the publication in which he accused the governor of “buying judgment” from the 2019 National Assembly Election Tribunal.

The court, in its judgment on December 15, 2020, ordered the defendant to pay N1.5 billion to the governor as general damages for libel.

In another defamation case between a former senator, Effiong Bob, and Mr Ekpenyong, the court had ordered Mr Ekpenyong to pay N150 million as damages to Mr Bob.

Both judgments were given on December 15, 2020, by Justice Obot.

Defendant’s application
Displeased with the judgment, the defendant, through his counsel, Mr Effiong, urged the court to set it aside and grant an extension of time for his client to defend his case.

Counsel to Governor Emmanuel, Mr Ikpo, in a notice of preliminary objection, said the court lacks jurisdiction to entertain the prayers of the defendant.

In his application, Mr Effiong urged the court to set aside the two judgments on grounds that it violates his client’s right to a fair hearing.

The lawyer who said he was relying on the certified true copy of judgment told the court that no hearing notice was issued on his client about the adjournment, which was done off-record by the court registrar, and not the judge.

“We are saying no hearing notice was issued on my client. He was not informed about the adjournment which was done off record, not by the judge but the registrar,” Mr Effiong said, describing the earlier judgment of the court as “miscarriage of justice”.

Mr Ikpo, in his preliminary objection, argued that the defendant’s application was incompetent, having been brought outside the three months period stipulated by the law, adding that the court lacks jurisdiction to extend such time.

The case was adjourned to January 12, 2022, for the ruling.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/498729-youre-not-on-channels-tv-dont-stand-before-me-and-talk-nonsense-judge-lashes-out-at-lawyer.html?fbclid=IwAR3vrS1saCwb3jjDpw10bciHVMp56T8434PWX2UvEN06xuSiEt8dguSGF6E

6 Likes

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by autolearner: 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2021

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Finnese001: 12:52pm On Dec 03, 2021
Okay
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by inoki247: 12:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
lol Are you referring to all diz Politicians,, Festus keyamo nd co..

Channels give dem opportunity to say jargons...

95 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Maxymilliano(m): 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2021
Lol. So it's on Channels and Akwa Ibom TV you can stand and say nonsense grin grin grin

118 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by seunmsg(m): 1:05pm On Dec 03, 2021
The court, in its judgement on December 15, 2020, ordered the defendant to pay N1.5 billion to the governor as general damages for libel.

In another defamation case between a former senator, Effiong Bob, and Mr Ekpenyong, the court had ordered Mr Ekpenyong to pay N150 million as damages to Mr Bob.

Just imagine the kind of useless judgement a state High court judge gave in favor of a PDP governor against a critic of his government. If Buhari or an APC governor had used the judiciary to obtain this kind of insane judgement against a critic, the entire social media would be on fire.

Just imagine what a tyrant like Udom Emmanuel would do to opposition and government critics if he’s given power at the federal level. I really pity those who were too young or have forgotten the kind of right abuses that PDP perpetrated in the 16 unproductive years they ruled Nigeria. I hope we don’t get to see such calamitous years ever again.

112 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by omowolewa: 1:29pm On Dec 03, 2021
She was right anyways

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by slimfit1(m): 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2021
The US, UK and EU must sanction African judges from flying to the EU otherwise they will keep getting economic migrants flooding their country. Stop the elite from coming to your country to come and use your medical care, education for their children we can use the money they use for these trips.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by JAMO84: 1:45pm On Dec 03, 2021
That useless charge and bail lawyer is always talking nonsense on Channels Television.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Fiscus105(m): 1:51pm On Dec 03, 2021
On many occasions, we normally go by emotions and not facts before the laws, judges are not thr wen offences are be committed, even if they were thr,....... that's why in all our daily dealings we must endeavor to have evidences to proof innocents rather than believing emotion will win us case before the judges

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by verybadmouth(m): 1:51pm On Dec 03, 2021
Jj

1 Like

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by candidbabe(f): 1:52pm On Dec 03, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by ominilongest(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
mtcheeeew boring I better call saul

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by dynicks(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
grin
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by hamaworld(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Chameleonadiks(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
Okay
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by FactBoyz: 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
tongue
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by psucc(m): 1:53pm On Dec 03, 2021
Ma Abasi, the Judge na real Nigga. By now, the lawyer's fee must have dropped like say 40%.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by ignis: 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
This is abuse....
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by ipobarethieves: 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
grin
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
In other words the judge was saying "SHEY EHN GBO WEREY" ;

This country na CRUISE....na only me normal for this country

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by gambia(m): 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
See drama.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by sammyj: 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2021
Okoko biokooooo. See finishing !!!! grin grin grin shocked shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by bularuz(m): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2021
What manner of Judiciary is this, why all this intimidation to favour a governor

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by lightwind(m): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2021
Nawaooo..
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by money121(m): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2021
Ok
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by MorataFC: 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2021
Haaa grin
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by tsdarkside(m): 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
kiki....
lawyers....paid nonesense talkers....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by scholarshipspr(f): 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
okay na
.check my profile for everything about scholarships

yes, check us out on telegram @ t.m/scholarshipspring
website scholarshipspring.com
for enquiries, send us an @ scholarshipspring@gmail.com

hit the follow button
Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Curious345: 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
A vague rebuttal of festus keyamo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judge To Lawyer: You’re Not On Channels TV Don’t Stand Before Me & Talk Nonsense by Fyie: 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2021

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ben Murray-bruce Serves Epic Clap Back To Guy Who Tried To Disrespect Him / Buhari's Speech At The Launch Of "Change Begins With Me", Plus The Official Logo / Buhari Scraps Nigerian Film Village Plan After Muslim Clerics Complained

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.