Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

How I Got A Job In Dubai - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Got A Job In Dubai (349 Views)

Career Advice Needed. Remain In Dubai Or Accept An Employment Offer In Berlin? / How I Got A Job For An Unadvertised Position / Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Got A Job In Dubai by Tris24(f): 9:30pm On Dec 04, 2021
Earlier this year, I got a call for a job in Dubai.

I was referred by my old boss Coach Isaac who I worked with in 2017.

When I was working with him, my salary was ₦15,000 only.

I had just completed my final exam from YABATECH

I could look for a higher paying job but I wanted to learn.

Crossfit wasn't popular then and he said he was going to train me to become a crossfit coach.

I was living in Ipaja and the gym was in Yaba so I asked if I could be sleeping in the gym as I did in my last job.
He said he had an empty bedroom in his house, I could stay there during the week and go home on weekends.

I told my parents and they agreed {well they didn't have a choice, I had taken lots of risk to work in the past}
The first day i slept in his house, I slept on the couch.

He said he'll buy a mattress the next day.

The next day, there was a giant mattress in the house with a new pillow, bedsheet, duvet etc..
I lived with Coach Isaac for 4 months.

Every month, he stocked the house with groceries so I didn't have to spend a dime on food.

The gym wasn't too far from the house so I sometimes take ₦50 keke napep to the gym, other times I walked and at night, he drives us home.

My work time was 2pm - 10pm

Coach Isaac took morning classes and i was understudying during the evening classes.

After about 2 months, he started allowing me to coach the evening classes.

I also did some administrative work when i was there. I told him I wanted to contact all the old clients and check up on them.

He bought me a book, I wrote all their numbers and called everyday.

Once weekend, i took the book home because i wanted to keep calling clients

When i opened the book,i saw ₦19,000 inside.

I kept it and when I returned on Monday, i told him I found the money in the book.

He said he had been looking for it, it was a client's gym subscription and the receptionist didn't know where she put it.
I was still living in his house when i got my first private client in Ikoyi who i charged ₦36,000 for 12 sessions.

The client trained at 5am so I had to leave the house by 4am.

It was difficult getting a bus from Marsha that early so i negotiated with a bike man.
The bike man will pick me up from the house to CMS then I'd take those small car they use as cab to Falomo.

I can still remember how the breeze used to blow me on the bridge and I'd be so cold, I didn't have a sweater
didn't even think to buy one cos all my money was going back into learning one thing on the other.

I was so obsessed with improving myself.

I keep remembering the stories I was told about how my dad had money before I was born.
I swore that I'd never let that happen to me.

Let me suffer now then enjoy later..I didn't want a grace to grass story.

I only worked with Mr Isaac for 4 months, he later referred me for a job in Lekki to help manage the gym at Ediye {it was run by Alibaba's wife}
They told me to observe for 1 week, during that 1 week I got another job offer at Ifitness and I went for the interview.

Ediye wanted to pay me ₦60,000 salary

Ifitness offered ₦40,000 with an opportunity to earn commission, personal development etc.

Guess the one I chose

If you've been reading the story well you'll know I'm obsessed with self improvement.

I chose Ifitness, the one with the lesser pay.

I declined Ediye's offer.

I kept in touch with Mr Isaac

Attended his gym anniversary

Hello here and there once in a while

When i had my spine injury and had to quit my job, he told me to come to the gym so his in-house physical therapist could work with me.
I went to Surulere from Sangotedo twice a week.

At a point I got tired because the pain wasn't improving so I stopped going for physical therapy and distanced myself.

He still kept on checking on me
Early this year i got a call from Mr Isaac that a company needed a personal trainer in Dubai.

I started making excuses on how I couldn't work in a gym cos of my injury.

Mr Isaac said you'll be fine, they don't lift heavy weights like us here just speak to the person first.
I got on the call and it was a personal training job, I didn't have to work in the gym.

They told me about their offer

I spoke to Mr Isaac and he told me to ask them some other details about about transportation etc.

They said a car and a driver will be assigned to me.

As I'm writing this section, there's tears in my eyes.

This thread is first an appreciation tweet to Mr Isaac for always having my back.

Mr Isaac, you're the angel God sent to me from heaven.

I have never done anything for you but you keep giving selflessly.
Not once did you make me feel uncomfortable in your home.

Not once have you ever asked for anything in return.

All you've ever done is give to me

Like a father, an uncle, a brother, a teacher, a coach, an angel.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you coach Amadi Isaac

Secondly I want to applaud myself for how far I've come.

Damn Beatrice

You have grown so much

How can you not see this

I sometimes forget where I'm coming from and this tweet is to remind of me of how far I've come.

Dear Beatrice,

I know you're not even close to where you want to be but never forget where you're coming from and how much obstacles you've overcome.

Not even a spine injury could hold you back.

I love you so much Ọbá

You are King, You are Royalty

Never forget that. Ever.

Re: How I Got A Job In Dubai by diamondpaul(m): 9:05am On Dec 05, 2021
Mr Isaac thanks o

(1) (Reply)

Is This A Waste At The Moment? / “only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far…” (how Far Are You Willing To Go?). / Help Me Choose Which Skill Is Perfect.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.