Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. (4050 Views)

An Emirati Singing Yoruba Praise And Worship In His Shop In Dubai. / Rare Picture Of Mary Slessor / Picture Of A Masquerade Pushing A Biker During Calabar Carnival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. by Wulfruna(f): 2:47pm On Dec 07, 2021
SlyDev:

Dude please Yoruba did it without help, you know what I'm saying but you keep deflecting

Go and read the history of the Haitian Revolution, oga. Stop ascribing everything to your group. This is something all you Nigerians do across board. And it's childish.

Btw, I am not a dude. I'm sure you see the 'f' beside my name.
Re: Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 07, 2021
Wulfruna:

Go and read the history of the Haitian Revolution, oga. Stop ascribing everything to your group. This is something all you Nigerians do across board. And it's childish.

Btw, I am not a dude. I'm sure you see the 'f' beside my name.

Oh sorry Bahia slave revolt is different form Haitian Revolution

Read the two up and come back

I didn't know that is what you are talking about
Re: Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. by Donmobi(m): 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
SlyDev:
Do you know Yoruba Muslim staged massive slave rebellion in Bahia Brazil. Yorubas are not cowards, we are fighters!

Leadership of Slave Rebellion Bahia

Ahuna - Ahuna was a Nagô(Yoruba) slave who lived in Salvador. He traveled frequently to Santo Amaro where his owner had a sugar plantation. It has been suggested that his presence was a key factor in the timing of the rebellion.

Pacífico Lucatan- Lucatan was a Nagô slave who worked as a tobacco roller. He was in prison at the time of the rebellion, and one of the main goals was to free him.

Luís Sanim - Sanim was a Nupe slave who also worked as a tobacco roller. He ran a fund where each member contributed a day's wages for slave labor, presumably monthly, and this money was divided into three parts: one part for cloth to make Muslim garments; a part to masters' portions of slave wages—since Malê slaves (Yoruba) did not work on Fridays; and one part to help buy letters of manumission.

Manoel Calafate - Calafate travelled to Santo Amaro to mobilize rebels on the eve of the uprising. He took an active part in the fighting and appears to have been killed in Palace Square..

Elesbão do Corma - Elesbão do Corma was a Hausa freedman who was known in the African community as Dandará. He owned a tobacco shop which was also used as a meeting place for Malês. He also traveled through the Recôncavo for his business, and brought the Muslim faith to slaves on the plantations there.

Males and Nagos are Yorubas

Yoruba are simply the best, if I'm not Yoruba, I will be jealous of them
[color=#000099][/color]
Hmmm
Last time I checked, Malè were a mixed Islamic group of Hausas,Fula,yorubas and perhaps a few
And I sincerely believe the hausas were even more concentrated than yorubas in the group termed Malè in brazil!
Don't downplay other tribes to boister yours

1 Like

Re: Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 07, 2021
Donmobi:
[color=#000099][/color]
Hmmm
Last time I checked, Malè were a mixed Islamic group of Hausas,Fula,yorubas and perhaps a few
And I sincerely believe the hausas were even more concentrated than yorubas in the group termed Malè in brazil!
Don't downplay other tribes to boister yours

I'm sorry but Yoruba slaves were known as Male and Nago, but there were significant other tribes too in the rebellion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Handmade Palm Kernel Oil For Sale / Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia / All ugba lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.