Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,383 members, 7,954,549 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:56 PM

Why Sorrow Is Not Always A Bad Thing? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Sorrow Is Not Always A Bad Thing? (168 Views)

The Day A "Bad Guy" Met His Saviour / Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? / Does Not Going To Church Make One A Bad Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Sorrow Is Not Always A Bad Thing? by topshore(f): 10:45am On Dec 07, 2021
Scripture Text: 2 Corinthians 7: 8-11

"Rejoice! Not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter"

Our Scripture text today shows that there are sorrows that are the Will of God to bring a great change in us. Sorrow can be beneficial; it is not always a bad thing. Paul writes to the Corinthians that, though he did initially, he does not regret having caused them sorrow (2 Cor 7:cool because they were made sorrowful to the point of repentance, according to the will of God (2 Cor 7:9).

Repentance is a change of heart towards a course. It usually begins with an intellectual recognition and confession of sin, but it does not end there. There is also a “change of heart”—an emotional component in which the genuine believer mourns over having sinned against the God whom he loves. That is why in Psalm 51, David says, “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

Genuine repentance is a matter of the heart. This is why Jesus pronounces a blessing upon those who mourn over their sin: “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted” (Matt 5:4).
Unlike worldly sorrow is not always beneficial, genuine repentant will experience sorrow over their sin. Sorrow itself is not repentance. There is a kind of sorrow over sin that does not produce repentance, and therefore does not lead to salvation- that is the worldly sorrow.

So, why is godly sorrow a good thing?

1. It causes us to repent from our sins and change our ways.
2. It leads us away from sin and results in being forgiven.
3. It results in various godly characters such as: earnestness and zealousness towards the Will of God.
4. It results in godly actions.
5. It liberates us from our "pet" sins which we glorify as weaknesses.
6. It navigates our hearts to please God and serves as a compass towards the Kingdom of God.

Brethren, today God is calling you to express your godly sorrow. He does not want you to only feel guilty about your sins, He wants you to stop that sin and repent genuinely. The end of godly sorrow is joy and heavenly rewards from our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ.

If you would like to give your life to Christ in godly sorrow today, just say this:
" Lord Jesus, I come to You today, I open the door of my heart to You, come in and take total control of my life and change my world. Translate me from darkness to the Kingdom of Your Light, in Your name I pray, amen".

Congratulations!!!

God bless you.

Peace!

(1) (Reply)

Master Keys To Uncommon Success / CAC Living Water Daily Devotional 9th December 2021 / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 16/12/2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.