Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,325 members, 7,815,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State (4934 Views)

The Diversity Of Nigeria Is Worth Celebrating. An Encounter With A Taraban / LOVE, UNITY & STRENGHT IN OUR ETHNIC DIVERSITY FACILITATES PROGRESS. / North Will Not Vote Candidates Who Exploit Religious And Ethnic Diversity - NEF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Ekealterego: 10:10pm On Dec 07, 2021
Do you know that Bayelsa is a very diverse state?

Bayelsa is a state in southern part of Nigeria, located in the core of the Niger Delta region.

Bayelsa has a population of 1.7 million according to the 2006 National population census in the 8 LGAS.

In Bayelsa, there are 3 main language groups/people or 4 depending on the classification. There are other minority groups in Bayelsa.

The 3 MAJOR languages are classified under:

1. The ijoids (South Izon/southern Ijaw, Izon etc.)

2. The Edoids (e.g Epie, Attisa, Engenni [Known as the Oguan), Urhobo, Isoko).

3. The Cross-River people (Ogbia, Abureni etc. )

4. Minorities

These are the people in Bayelsa and here is their classification and LGAs

Brass
Abureni; Cross-River language/people
Southeast Ijo; IJo
Ogbia; Cross-River language/people
Kugbo; Cross-River language/people

Ekeremor
Izon; Ijo

Kolokuma/Opokuma

Izon; Ijo

Nembe
Abureni; Cross-River people/language
Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon (Ijaw)

Ogbia
Abureni; Cross-River language.
Southeast Ijo;
Odual; Cross-River language
Ogbia; Cross-River language
Oruma; Ijo

Sagbama
Biseni; Ijo
Isoko; Edoid/Edo
Izon; Ijo
Ogbah; Igbo/Igboid
Okodia; inland Ijo/Ijo
Urhobo; Urhobo/Edoid/Edo

Southern Ijaw

Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon; Ijo

Yenagoa
Engenni; Edo/Edoid
Epie; Edo/Edoid
Izon; Ijo
Ekpeye; Igboid

Reference.
Blench, Roger (2019). An Atlas of Nigerian Languages (4th ed.). Cambridge: Kay Williamson Educational Foundation.

Bayelsa – History & Culture – Bayelsa State Government". Retrieved on 2021-29-11 from https://bayelsastate.gov.ng/our-history/

8 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Ekealterego: 10:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
How diverse is your state?

What are the advantages?

How do you overcome the disadvantages?

8 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Kinematics: 10:30pm On Dec 07, 2021
Abeg make I take chair laugh small. Ipig miscreants are having sleepless night...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Ekealterego: 10:31pm On Dec 07, 2021
Kinematics:
Abeg make I take chair laugh small. Ipig miscreants are having sleepless night...

I swear.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Kinematics: 10:33pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:

I swear.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 10:48pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:
Do you know that Bayelsa is a very diverse state?

Bayelsa is a state in southern part of Nigeria, located in the core of the Niger Delta region.

Bayelsa has a population of 1.7 million according to the 2006 National population census in the 8 LGAS.

In Bayelsa, there are 3 main language groups/people or 4 depending on the classification. There are other minority groups in Bayelsa.

The 3 MAJOR languages are classified under:

1. The ijoids (South Izon/southern Ijaw, Izon etc.)

2. The Edoids (e.g Epie, Attisa, Engenni [Known as the Oguan), Urhobo, Isoko).

3. The Cross-River people (Ogbia, Abureni etc. )

4. Minorities

These are the people in Bayelsa and here is their classification and LGAs

Brass
Abureni; Cross-River language/people
Southeast Ijo; IJo
Ogbia; Cross-River language/people
Kugbo; Cross-River language/people

Ekeremor
Izon; Ijo

Kolokuma/Opokuma

Izon; Ijo

Nembe
Abureni; Cross-River people/language
Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon (Ijaw)

Ogbia
Abureni; Cross-River language.
Southeast Ijo;
Odual; Cross-River language
Ogbia; Cross-River language
Oruma; Ijo

Sagbama
Biseni; Ijo
Isoko; Edoid/Edo
Izon; Ijo
Ogbah; Igbo/Igboid
Okodia; inland Ijo/Ijo
Urhobo; Urhobo/Edoid/Edo

Southern Ijaw

Southeast Ijo; Ijo
Izon; Ijo

Yenagoa
Engenni; Edo/Edoid
Epie; Edo/Edoid
Izon; Ijo
Ekpeye; Igboid

Reference.
Blench, Roger (2019). An Atlas of Nigerian Languages (4th ed.). Cambridge: Kay Williamson Educational Foundation.

Bayelsa – History & Culture – Bayelsa State Government". Retrieved on 2021-29-11 from https://bayelsastate.gov.ng/our-history/

All are dialects of Ijaw.
Bayelsa state is 873 km² bigger than Imo Nd Anambra state put together.
2006 is 15 years ago.
That's never Bayelsa population figure.
There are no Ekpeye in Bayelsa.
Bayelsa is an Homogenous Ijaw State.

Bayelsa is an Homogenous Ijaw state, they didn't travel everywhere nd count Ijaw. Only Southern Ijaw LGA have 180 towns.
Koluama district 105 Oporoma district 75.
Making 180 in Southern Ijaw.

4 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 10:49pm On Dec 07, 2021
Kinematics:

Big time sleepless nights.

1 Like

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Ekealterego: 10:51pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Bayelsa state is 673 km² bigger than Imo Nd Anambra state put together.

Bayelsa is an Homogenous Ijaw state, they didn't travel everywhere nd count Ijaw. Only Southern Ijaw LGA have 180 towns.
Ijoh have beautiful dialects but Epie (Edo) and Ogbia and the rest are independent languages.

May God bless Bayelsa state and their rich cultural diversity and different ethnic nationalities.

9 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:

Ijoh have beautiful dialects but Epie (Edo) and Ogbia and the rest are independent languages.

May God bless Bayelsa state and their rich cultural diversity and different ethnic nationalities.

You are neither from the two and u are a big liar.
We Ijaws believe in physical and not fake write ups and pictures created by lies ibos.

Which of the people here are not Ijaw u liar.

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2021
Tell me which of these people are not Ijaw.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Ekealterego: 10:58pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
Tell me which of these people are not Ijaw.

That's an Ijaw drawn Map. A son of Epie Ethnic nationality and by extension, Ogua Ethnic Nationality have spoken out about the deliberate cultural and identity genocide taking place in the Niger Delta.

Please, minorities have rights too.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 10:59pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:

That's an Ijaw drawn Map. A son of Epie Ethnic nationality and by extension, Ogua Ethnic Nationality have spoken.

That's INC Map concerning INC Central Zone. (Bayelsa Ijaws). the Ijaw National Congress.
The highest Ijaw socia-cultural organizations worldwide.
Your frustrations and lies no reach Ijaw land.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 11:00pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

That's INC Map concerning INC Central Zone. the Ijaw National Congress.
The highest Ijaw socia-cultural organizations worldwide.
Your frustrations and lies no reach Ijaw land.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 11:00pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:

That's an Ijaw drawn Map. A son of Epie Ethnic nationality and by extension, Ogua Ethnic Nationality have spoken.

Igbo man just go and commit suicide.
It will end your miserable life fastest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Banmeallday: 11:01pm On Dec 07, 2021
OP

There has never been an accurate census done in the Nigg Area...

SO you actually dont know how many people are actually in “BAYELSA” or the number of IJO people in the Nigg Area...

But what we do know is Fulani are thyroid minority but RULE and made people from Bayelsa go from 1 out of 4 or 2 out of 4 regions to political minority.....
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 11:05pm On Dec 07, 2021
Only Egbema clan have over 350 villages and settlements under it and Ijaw have 86 clans that were unjustly Balkanized into more than six States, when all Ijaw areas share perfect boundaries with each other.
And are fully together.

God bless the Ijaw Republic.
Ijaw Republic our home.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 11:06pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
Only Egbema clan have over 350 villages and settlements under it and Ijaw have 86 clans that were unjustly Balkanized into more than six States, when all Ijaw areas share perfect boundaries with each other.
And are fully together.

God bless the Ijaw Republic.
Ijaw Republic our home.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by alanto: 11:52pm On Dec 07, 2021
BigSarah you see how trouble sleep yanga de wake am. That’s exactly what I’m telling you at some point they too will start giving it back.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by ThinkSmarter: 12:12am On Dec 08, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Bayelsa state is 873 km² bigger than Imo Nd Anambra state put together.
2006 is 15 years ago.
That's never Bayelsa population figure.
There are no Ekpeye in Bayelsa.
Bayelsa is an Homogenous Ijaw State.

Making 180 in Southern Ijaw.
U obviously don't know what you are saying.
Epie and Attisa, the major ethnic group inhabiting Yenegoa, the state capital are not Ijaws.
Epie Towns include Igbogene, Yenezue-gene, Yenezue-Epie, Akenfa, Agudama, Opolo, Kpansia-Epie, Amarata, Azikoro Village Etc.
Ogbia, the ethnic group of Goodluck Jonathan is more related to Kalabari.
The towns of Ogbia are imiringi, otuosega, otuoke, otuabaga, Emegha1 and 2, Amakalakala, etc
Ijaws are mostly Kolokuma-Opokuma, Southern Ijaw, Brass, Sagbama, Ekeremor and maybe Nembe
Note, I have lived in Bayelsa state, I have first hand information.
Though this my information is subject to correction from an Indigent Bayelsan

12 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 12:16am On Dec 08, 2021
ThinkSmarter:
U obviously don't know what you are saying.
Epie and Attisa, the major ethnic group inhabiting Yenegoa, the state capital are not Ijaws.
Epie Towns include Igbogene, Yenezue-gene, Yenezue-Epie, Akenfa, Agudama, Opolo, Kpansia-Epie, Amarata, Azikoro Village Etc.
Ogbia, the ethnic group of Goodluck Jonathan is more related to Kalabari.
The towns of Ogbia are imiringi, otuosega, otuoke, otuabaga.
Ijaws are mostly Kolokuma-Opokuma, Southern Ijaw, Brass, Sagbama.
Note, I have lived in Bayelsa state, I have first hand information.

Mkpuru Mmri at work.
Which of the people in that map are not under Ijaw National Congress.
INC,
Ijaw Youth Council IYC, and the Lovers of Ijaw Nation Organization LINO.
Since Na u wan tell them their Ancestors.
As u claim say u bin dey Bayelsa ur mumu no tell u say Kalabari Na Ijaw??
Or Na dat nonesense lies Igbo like u post everywhere.
Nembe Brass, and Kalabari can speak with each other, from now till forever without changing to English because it's nearly 100 percent same.
They share boundaries with each other
U know nothing about Ijaw just shut up.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by mandarin: 12:18am On Dec 08, 2021
Adamawa is probably the most diverse state in Nigeria. The largest ethnic group cannt be more than 5% states like Gombe Kebbi and plateau are diverse.

1 Like

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 12:20am On Dec 08, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Mkpuru Mmri at work.
Nembe Brass, nd Kalabari can speak with each other, from now till forever without changing to English because it's nearly 100 percent same.

Bayelsa is an Homogenous Ijaw State
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by ThinkSmarter: 12:21am On Dec 08, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Mkpuru Mmri at work.
Nembe nd Kalabari can speak from now till forever without changing to English because it's nearly 100 percent same.

U don't have to ridicule me before correcting me if you think that I am wrong.
Disprove me with facts

3 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 12:23am On Dec 08, 2021
ThinkSmarter:
U don't have to ridicule me before correcting me if you think that I am wrong.
Disprove me with facts

I just disproved it.
All those are different dialects of Ijaw.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by ThinkSmarter: 12:25am On Dec 08, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

I just disproved it.
All those are different dialects of Ijaw.
But Epie doesn't understand Ijaw and Ijaw doesn't understand Epie, what can you say about that?

5 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by Christistruth00: 12:26am On Dec 08, 2021
Kinematics:

The Moment you see them mention Bayelsa instead of Delta

Just know they are on another Land grabbing Mission
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 12:27am On Dec 08, 2021
ThinkSmarter:
But Epie doesn't understand Ijaw and Ijaw doesn't understand Epie, what can you say about that?

Mr man shut up.
I'm Ebi by name the IYC Chairman Epie clan is also Ebi and they named him in his Epie Ijaw dialect and named me in my Kolokuma Ijaw dialect.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by ThinkSmarter: 12:40am On Dec 08, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Mr man shut up.
I'm Ebi by name the IYC Chairman Epie clan is also Ebi and they named him in his Epie Ijaw dialect and named me in my Kolokuma Ijaw dialect.
www-nairaland-.com/ekealterego?iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597">https://https-www-nairaland-.com/ekealterego?iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597%3BAfoK5jMsomMhKR3B Please ekealterego come and settle this fight.
Is Ijaw and Epie same ethnic group?
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by ThinkSmarter: 12:49am On Dec 08, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Mr man shut up.
Something is telling me your are lying.
You only want to suppress and dominate Epie people.
The guy that created Epie thread is saying otherwise.
Epie owns the state capital.
The state capital was sited at Epie land due to the fact that most Ijaw towns are across the rivers.
Epie is a mainland with just a creek beside it.
You can only travel to most Ijaw towns by canoe.
It was Goodluck Jonathan that built the bridge at the back of Swalli Market that connected Yenegoa to waterside Ijaws
And Timipre Silver built the one that connected Nembe to Yenegoa.
Am I lying?
Ekealterego come and settle this fight abeg

4 Likes

Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 1:03am On Dec 08, 2021
ThinkSmarter:
The state capital was sited at Epie land due to the fact that most Ijaw towns are across the rivers.
It was Goodluck Jonathan that built the bridge at the back of Swalli Market that connected Yenegoa to waterside Ijaws
Am I lying?

You atheist.
That guy is Ibo guy.
I have nothing to say to u again.
Believe what Ibo said nd u ho to early grave.
Re: The Ethnic Diversity of Bayelsa State by DitariDisciple2: 1:04am On Dec 08, 2021
ThinkSmarter:
Am I lying?

You are a minus to nature, and human existence.
You know nothing about Bayelsa state self.
Let me not waste my time talking to u no more.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Suicide Bomber Shot Dead In Borno / Fashola Blasts Fg Over Apapa/oshodi, Airport Roads / Delta To Get $700m Methanol Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.